• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donations and payment change

ivar

Administrator
Staff member
Hi all,

I just wanted to let you all know that I have decided to only work with Stripe payments and drop PayPal for making donations to the forum.

Stripe is the company that process the card payments. More here: https://stripe.com/ . They are used by many of the "big companies", more on that here: https://stripe.com/gallery

I decided to drop PayPal since they are pricey, and (the most important reason) they could not offer me an invoice for the service they offer. I need an invoice since I do pay VAT (sales tax) on all donations (21%).

Since my store http://www.santiagodecompostela.me/ only use Stripe, I decided to consolidate everything into one provider (stripe).

For donations, you just click the "Pay with Stripe" Button
screen-shot-2015-12-15-at-10-25-59-png.22811

... and use the next screen that pops up:
screen-shot-2015-12-15-at-10-25-52-png.22812

No need to sign up for anything (PayPal makes you "jump through hoops"). Just fill it out and press the button.

Thank you all for your contributions to the forum!
Ivar

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Ivar:

I cannot find a DONATE button or link from any page on the forum. Did I miss something?

What us the direct link to get to a donation page? Should that not be featured on top of almost every page? Just an Idea.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Ivar:

I cannot find a DONATE button or link from any page on the forum. Did I miss something?

What us the direct link to get to a donation page? Should that not be featured on top of almost every page? Just an Idea.
All non-donating members see a link at the top of every page. Already donating members need to go to their profile:
Screen Shot 2015-12-15 at 15.43.34.png

...and click the "Account Upgrade".

...or use this link:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/account/upgrades

Thanks everyone!
Ivar

This is really good to use. So much easier than PayPal was.
It checked and approved our card too without extra input, which we liked, but @docpam it did ask for 'name on card'.
Thanks Ivar from both of us

I pay for all sorts of things with paypal, and have it set up for one click convenience. I would never pay with stripe as I have never heard of it and don't like to get too much data spread around.

OK maybe for Ivar I'd try it, but no way will I use an service I don't know for anyone else. That's just the state of internet transactions these days.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I pay for all sorts of things with paypal, and have it set up for one click convenience. I would never pay with stripe as I have never heard of it and don't like to get too much data spread around.
I understand that you are worried about a new service (although it has been round for a while). Stripe is so simple, I actually find it more secure than PayPal. No account is created, there is nothing to hack into. Transaction done over a secure connection.

This is what the New York Times says about Stripe.

Thanks,
Ivar

I welcome very much the Stripe. My Paypal account was once hacked, and I had quite some trouble getting my money back, but thanks to a good bank connection (DnB), it was eventually sorted out, and money returned to my account. I also now and then get emails from "paypal" to reinstate my use, but will not use Paypal in the future. You being a computer professional like myself, I trust and agree with your judgement.

Ønsker deg og dine en flott jul (her er det virkelig vinter, se bilder), og skal ta kontakt for å spandere en kald øl når jeg ankommer Santiago i slutten av mai/beg. av juni. :)

Winter/Christmas in Arctic Norway, present to Ivar:

TromsøDomkirke.jpg Tromsøvinter.jpg Nordly  havna2.jpg

I feel like Alex, I am very leery of using PayPal because I don't trust their security. Along the lines of TomA's comments, the interface with Stripe is a bit of a problem. I made a donation and never received a confirmation. I donated again and now I'm a member until something like 2020.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I understand that you are worried about a new service (although it has been round for a while). Stripe is so simple, I actually find it more secure than PayPal. No account is created, there is nothing to hack into. Transaction done over a secure connection.

This is what the New York Times says about Stripe.

Thanks,
Ivar
I've just used it and it works like a charm. Thanks Ivar.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
We waste so much money at Christmas time: Useless presents to spoiled people who have it all anyway. Excess food. How about giving away a present that you yourself will benefit from, for a whole year or more?

I am talking about donating a small sum to Ivar and his forum.

I am not sure how long ago it is that I last contributed; somewhere along last Christmas, I believe, but I don't know. I don't care. At the cost of a couple of pints, or 2-3 menu del dias, we have complete access to this haven for us addicted pilgrims. I'll waste no more time, but go off and send Ivar his Christmas present. I hope I am joined by those of you who can afford a small sum, and for the rest, it is completely accepted. Enjoy the environment, education, advice and wisdom shared on this forum.

I am off, trying Ivar's new and simplified payment method.

Edit: Done; very easy payment solution.

Last edited:
Ivar --- I appreciate your diligence in supporting the forum in the most economical way possible (21% VAT??? OUCH!!!), and your care in selecting Stripe. I have long resented Paypal's intrusiveness in how much information they hold of me, and Stripe requires none of that, which, for me, puts them in the same or lower inherent risk category as any other retail vendor where I swipe my card. Given their relationship with VISA, I assume their PCI controls are as good or better than the major processors and retailers. Having had card numbers compromised with Target, Home Depot, and Paypal, I suspect they can't be particularly worse.

On the bright side, as my current donation expires in March, this thread reminded me to refresh my donation early. Stripe was straightforward. Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hola Ivar - ouch that 21% VAT hurts. I have used both services but usually go with STRIPE, as was indicated Pay Pal can be a bit more confusing. So am happy to comply and "keep this valuable service alive". Cheers

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I understand that you are worried about a new service (although it has been round for a while). Stripe is so simple, I actually find it more secure than PayPal.
Ivar

Oh, no doubt you are right---you are an internet pro, while I just muddle through it. I'm just saying that don't underestimate the value of a really well known name like Paypal. Even if it is expensive and insecure, people will go with something they know. Hopefully Stripe catches on. I'm never afraid to make a donation through Paypal because I use it all the time, and already know how to monitor all my transactions.

Hi all,
For donations, you just click the "Pay with Stripe" Button
screen-shot-2015-12-15-at-10-25-59-png.22811

... and use the next screen that pops up:
screen-shot-2015-12-15-at-10-25-52-png.22812

Thank you all for your contributions to the forum!
Ivar

Hi Ivar, I made a donation last week (it shows up on my credit card bill), but I am now seeing ads when I open the forum.
Maybe it takes a few days for the payment to go through to you?
Thanks.
Mary Louise

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back