• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donations

Christina

Some of the refugios ask for donations. Please could I have some suggestions as to what is a fair amount to donate, I do not want to be mean but have to plan my spending sensibly. I know the CSJ say be generous, and I am very happy with that but I would still like to know what is an acceptable donation.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In the CAMINO , every day there are fewer ALBERGUES with donation. They have already a fixed price almost - ´Donation under my point of view 4/5 Euros per night.-
Saludos.-

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Thank you for all your suggestions, I am sure it is better to be generous if it is possible, especially if the people running the refugio are trying hard to make the stay a pleasant one.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I would donate 3 to 5 euros depending on the place.
Once I gave 20 because it was a church and the priest was especially kind to us, giving us a special mass and a very nice soup dinner and I knew they needed the cash.

Just follow your heart.

I usually gave 5-8 euros and, when I saw pilgrims departing without leaving a donativo (sometimes discussing their cleverness as they did so), I would round it up to 10. I think that it is reasonable for relatively prosperous pilgrims to self-tax a bit, as many pilgrims are travelling on very limited budgets, and albergues depend on the donations.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Whatever you can afford. Students may not have much money so cannot afford much but if you are well paid employed person 10euro seems to me to be a very small amount to pay for a night's rest and remember those who can afford to pay more make up for those who cannot afford to pay much.

I usually gave 5 or 6 which was what I usually spent each night on the Camino. If we got dinner, I added 5 more, 3 more for breakfast (if I ate it). But as all the others said, go with your heart. It depends on the place.

Buen Camino,

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back