• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donativo albergues

bmcbride

CVRambler
Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (2014), Camino Inca (2015), Primitivo (2017), Portugues (2018), Finisterre (2018)
I would like to give a polite reminder to those using the municipal and parish albergues that run by donations. Donativo does not mean free. The donations left by others before you have allowed the continuation of the facility that you are now using. They have expenses to maintain the building itself, and quite often are providing a breakfast and perhaps even an evening meal to the pilgrims. They might be providing other services, such as laundry. Please consider what you have received, and what its worth would normally be, when you are leaving your donation.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I would like to give a polite reminder to those using the municipal and parish albergues that run by donations. Donativo does not mean free. The donations left by others before you have allowed the continuation of the facility that you are now using. They have expenses to maintain the building itself, and quite often are providing a breakfast and perhaps even an evening meal to the pilgrims. They might be providing other services, such as laundry. Please consider what you have received, and what its worth would normally be, when you are leaving your donation.

Amen, bmcbride. And don't be a skinflinted cheapskate if you have the means. :)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
..from the grape vine:
Donotivos will be asked to demand a minimal fee, as described in a decree,
- unknown source, will look further....

Stivandrer:
Please, please when you find the source start a new thread.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
I now see that it might have been the discussion started in 2005 - 6, but it is still the rumble that it should be introduced...

I stopped in an albergue one night that had a communal meal with wine and a minimal breakfast next morning, cost €25. Stopped in an albergue in Ligonde that had a welcoming coffee followed by a movie and popcorn. Dinner was as good as it gets. I thought because it was a religious group running the place, there would be no wine. Not only was there wine, there was after dinner liqueurs. Breakfast next morning was excellent. We had to make it ourselves but everything we needed had been left out for us. This place was donativo and as usual, some thought it was free and some thought €5 was enough. I left €25 and felt like I was cheating them. So yes, donativo does not mean free

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I stopped in an albergue one night that had a communal meal with wine and a minimal breakfast next morning, cost €25. Stopped in an albergue in Ligonde that had a welcoming coffee followed by a movie and popcorn. Dinner was as good as it gets. I thought because it was a religious group running the place, there would be no wine. Not only was there wine, there was after dinner liqueurs. Breakfast next morning was excellent. We had to make it ourselves but everything we needed had been left out for us. This place was donativo and as usual, some thought it was free and some thought €5 was enough. I left €25 and felt like I was cheating them. So yes, donativo does not mean free

Could you tell me which albergue in Ligonde this was? Mahalo Nui Loa

I volunteered for 2 weeks in April 18 as hospitalera in a donativo albergue on the CF. It amazed me how many pilgrims would take €50 out of their wallets to pay, but when told it was donativo, the money was quickly put away. Turns out that average donation per pilgrim was less than €2.50 per night...

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Could you tell me which albergue in Ligonde this was? Mahalo Nui Loa
Fuente del Peregrino. Big old stone building on a corner on your left roughly centre of village. If you come to the municipal, you have passed it. The quality of dinner does however depend on the particular volunteers as you pass. Last time I stopped there, the dinner could have been hotter, no after dinner liqueurs and the projector had broken down. The musically talented hospitaleros however provided great after dinner entertainment. Had I made it as far as Ligonde this year, I had every intention of staying there again

Turns out that average donation per pilgrim was less than €2.50 per night...
There are a lot of assertions on the Forum about generous donations at the donativo places, but your statistic does not surprise me. Donativo appeals to the cheapskates and the needy alike. I am not interested in trying to separate the two; I just am bothered by the donativo places that complain about the cheapskates! If it matters, at least pull out a Certification of Need for everyone to fill out and sign if they don't want to pay 5 Euro. :)

My service club gives out over 100 eye exams and eyeglasses annually. We ask if they have insurance, that is all. When they are referred to us by social agencies, school nurses, health fairs, and caregivers, we don't even ask for a social security number (which is why many of the children who need glasses don't have them; they lack proof of immigrant status to get needed healthcare from any government source). It is either charity, or it is not. Resentment removes it from the charity side...

The donativo albergues are a great opportunity for us all to practice generosity. In Buddhism, the word "dana" is used to describe the practice of generosity, specifically when laypersons in nearby villages would provide meals and other necessities to the monks. Similarly, the donativos are a gift to the pilgrims as much as an opportunity to practice giving with an open, grateful heart.
It is sad but not surprising that this concept is so foreign to many, seeing that we are living in a hyper-capitalist world where people falsely view themselves as individuals who need to hold on to every penny in the hopes of getting ahead. Instead my hope is for all pilgrims to donate what they truly are able to afford so that the spirit of the Camino lives on for many generations to come. Without donativos, the Camino is just another commodified experience.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de Perdón has only a few big puddles left...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back