• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donativos on VdlP???

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Hi, fellow pilgrims!

I'm very much interested to go from Sevilla to Fisterra this year. If the financial situation will allow that :?
Therefore I'm much calculating on the donativo albergues, whether municipal or parish it doesn't matter. What experience do you have with those? I'm really not problematic about bed/mattress, hot/cold water in the shower, kitchen/no kitchen etc. I just want to get some basic info on those donativos if you could get me some, please.

Ultreia!

B.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Kinky, how much would you consider to be "donativo?" Just curious.
Most of the time, at least a small donation is helpful.
If you don't have cash, you can perhaps clean a toilet or mop a floor?
I've done that in the past on occasion.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
grayland said:
Remember that "donation" does not mean free!

Whilst that is true, the idea behind is, at least in my understanding, to allow pilgrims that don't have much, or even no, money to do the pilgrimage. SY

As far as I know there aren't may donativo albergues. But IMHO lack of money is not the right reason for wanting to stay there. And if so, why not bother about the availability of a kitchen? Cooking for yourself is cheaper than eating out, isn't it?

Hi kinkyone,

Please understand that all donativo albergues also have expenses to cover- electriity, water bill, gas , mortgage payment, maintenance expenses, etc. without these donations these albergues will eventually have to close down.

I second grayland comment that donativo does not meant free. I have talked to many people involved - politicians, hospitaleros/as, in running the donativo albergues during my recent winter camino on the vdlp. Due to budgetary constraint and funding cutback from the local councils and region. Many of these donativos are starting to charge money or requesting a donation.

I have met about 6 peregrinos??? wth very, very limited fund or no money at all just searching and staying at donativo albergues without making any donations - including participating at communal evening meals and breakfast. I even had one of them trying to solicit money from me.

Please note the camino to santiago is not a free holiday. No one expect you to have unlimited resources to walk the camino, but at least have some money to do it. In some of the albergues, the charge for beds is anywhere from €3 euro to €5 euro, it is not asking very much. In other donativo albergues, they are asking for a contribution of €5 euro, that is usually the price for a bed in a regular municipal or parochial albergue. I don't believe that is asking for too much.

To all peregrinos who do not have enough resources to walk the camino, you do not have to walk the whole way. You can do it in stages. The vdlp starting from sevilla to sdc is 1000 kilometers long, this will take a minimum of 5 weeks to complete. Do it in stages of 200 or even 300 kilometers.

Buen caminos to all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I was expecting some answers instead I got a lot of lessons about "donations" etc. :D
Well, I know all that because I've done the Camino Frances and also slept in so-called donativo albergues, which I understand somewhere between 2-5€. As I wrote in my first post I don't care about the shower, kitchen (I also don't have to eat in restaurants, some bread, chorizo and queso is just enough for me) etc. I just wanted to get some opinions on the donativos on VdlP and not about the idea of them in general.

@piogaw
I agree that doing Camino in stages is an option, but then again why spend 5 times the amount of coming there and back home (min.200€) instead of once? If I'd have extra 800€ (doesn't matter if spent in a few years) I wouldn't be asking for the donativos, would I? :)

The donativo ones I can remember staying at were Castilblanco de los Aroyos (that was in 2010, but now it's staffed it may have a fixed charge), Alcuéscar, Grimaldo, Aldeanueva del Camino, Fuenterroble, Tábara, Calzadilla de Tera and Mombuey. Casar de Cáceres was free, and I couldn't find the donativo box in Aldeanueva last time and nobody in the local bar knew who or how to pay (I think there was a box in 2010). All had mattresses, pillows, blankets and hot water (sometimes not very hot).

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
@alansykes & sulu
Thank you!

Now I can kind of feel the difference between donativos on CF and VdlP. I've been in some donativos on CF that were 5star for me back then :D Obviously the donativos on VdlP are much more basic. That's OK with me. I just wanted to know what (briefly) to expect.

Ultreia!

B.

Donation means give what you feel is appropriate considering your own financial condition. That may mean giving nothing at all and that's fine. We all do what we can.

Obviously the donativos on VdlP are much more basic. That's OK with me. I just wanted to know what (briefly) to expect.

I don't think that is the case at all. Some are basic some have great facilities, some have hospitaleros and some don't. Generally the donativos on the VdlP are excellent and provide a great service.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
sulu said:
Obviously the donativos on VdlP are much more basic. That's OK with me. I just wanted to know what (briefly) to expect.

I don't think that is the case at all. Some are basic some have great facilities, some have hospitaleros and some don't. Generally the donativos on the VdlP are excellent and provide a great service.

Yes, I should have been clearer, they are excellent and do provide a great service. In fact I couldn't tell the difference between the donativo albergues and the others - and the coldest water of my trip was in a private albergue in El Cubo de Tierra del Vino (€15 for cold water, humph). And when I said all had a mattress, I meant a mattress on a bed, not on the floor. Alcuéscar, run by monks with a communal meal after pilgrim blessing at mass, is one of the highlights of the trip, and very comfortable - pleasant sitting room with great views, and as there were only two pilgrims when I was there, we each got a single room (former monk's cell, I'd guess). And everybody loves Fuenterroble and Don Blas. Next time I'll stay in the ones in Salamanca and Zamora as well, can't think why I didn't this time.

"Next time", ah, next time - sinks into pleasant reverie ...

5 to 10 Euros is what I've heard--according to ability to give.

Sorry, but 5€+ is no donativo...

As I have very limited amount of money to spend, that would be a regular albergue price...

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
If you have that less money to spend I wouldn't do it if I were you and save more money first...

Sorry, but 5€+ is no donativo...

As I have very limited amount of money to spend, that would be a regular albergue price...

You'll be hard pushed to find an Albergue for €5 on the VdlP, I can think of 1 that cost €6, most are at least €10.

I agree with Sulu, even if you stay in municipal and parroquial albergues, the Vía de la Plata is more expensive than the Francés.

And as a general note to all: hospitaleros from the Spanish Federation are taught not to suggest the amount of the donation, only to advise pilgrims of the possibility. Last year I worked in a parroquial albergue and order to approach the subject I would state the following: "Thanks to the pilgrims who came before you, we are able to share a meal tonight. Give what you can." But I feel that I should add that parroquial and all other 'donativo' albergues can only continue to exist through the donation of others.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
sulu said:
You'll be hard pushed to find an Albergue for €5 on the VdlP, I can think of 1 that cost €6, most are at least €10.

There are some - I seem to remember Almadén, Morille and Granja were €5 or 6, as of course are all the junta-run ones in Galicia on the Sanabrés. But €10-12 is more common, certainly.

There are some - I seem to remember Almadén, Morille and Granja were €5 or 6,

Morille is the one I had in mind that costs 6. There is a village shop there but opening times are temperamental. It wasn't open when I was there and the Albergue has no kind of kitchen so we had to eat in the bar next door and buy something there for breakfast. I think the meal was €8 so it still worked out cheaper than many places. It is certainly very difficult to plan costs on the VdlP and it is important to eat well and to carry plenty of liquids.

Thank you for all the hints and infos. When I was gathering informations on albergues, shops, stages etc., I found donativo albergues in these cities/villages (19):
Alcuescar, Valdesalor, Casar de Caceres, Canaveral, Grimaldo, Aldeanueva del Camino, Fuenterroble de Salvatierra, Salamanca, Calzada de Valdunciel, Zamora, Riego del Camino, Faramontanos de Tabara, Tabara, Santa Marta de Tera, Calzadilla de Tera, Villar de Farfon, Mombuey, San Salvador de Palazuelo, Albergueria. The next range is around 5-7€ and another one around 10-12€.

I have two scenarios, both from Sevilla to Fisterra (Via Sanabres). I have to say that I don't like 40km/day walks although I'm capable to do them. But I just like to stop and admire whatever catches my eye even for three hours :) :
1.) faster: 46 days, additional non-walking days in Sevilla, Merida, Salamanca, Ourense, SdC and Fisterra, av.26,7km/day, av.7,04€/night,
2.) slower: 54 days, same non-walking days as above, av.22,3km/day, av.7,33€/night.
Both including range from donativos to private single room.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Alcuescar, Valdesalor, Casar de Caceres, Canaveral, Grimaldo, Aldeanueva del Camino, Fuenterroble de Salvatierra, Salamanca, Calzada de Valdunciel, Zamora, Riego del Camino, Faramontanos de Tabara, Tabara, Santa Marta de Tera, Calzadilla de Tera, Villar de Farfon, Mombuey, San Salvador de Palazuelo, Albergueria. The next range is around 5-7€ and another one around 10-12€.

Actually Valdesalor and Casar de Caceres are free, there is no where to donate money. They are also pretty much at opposite ends of the comfort spectrum :) Valdesalor is the changing rooms for the local football team, you sleep on a mat and when I was there the water was cold, there are no other facilities. Casar de Caceres has bunks, warm water and a kitchen!
Canaveral is closed.

Most read last week in this forum

My daughter just has a few weeks off so we flew to Portugal to visit my brother in Braga, then he drove us up to Puebla de Sanabria to walk the Camino Sanabres. Tomorrow we start walking, but I...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading thru Aciberos. There...
After Olleros de Tera at one point you will come to a crossing where there are two arrows. One pointing to the road and one pointing straight on into the greenery. If you have the Via de la Plata...
After 16 days of walking (plus another three days to explore Salamanca and Zamora) I've finished my walk on the Vía de la Plata and am now continuing on the Camino Sanabres. If anyone's...
After Requejo, you pass thru a little town, Padornelo and then by a gas station with a bar. You follow N-525 for a short way and then come to a turn off to the right, leading to Aciberos. There...
Greetings from sunny Cea. Are there any hostels between Cea and A Laxe? Hostel in Castro Dozon is closed

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back