• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Donkeys can be a nightmare - but what about goats??

David

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
First one in 2005 from Moissac, France.
No, really ... there is a whole romantic thing about going on Camino with a donkey but they are stubborn, prone to illnesses, expensive, and often refuse to go where you want to go, and they are so big and heavy they win every contest ..

but what about a goat?? Goats are intelligent, funny, friendly (friendly ones are), and as they are much smaller it is easier for the human to win the "which way and when" contest - every time (almost).

Goats pulling trailers and small wagons goes back a long long way .... but one could use a modern bike trailer hitched up to carry all your gear (and a bag of carrots) why, my S-Cargo trailer would be perfect! or buy a goat load saddle (yes, they exist) and put panniers onto the goat .... I think this would be a tenting Camino ... as you might come across the occasional problem trying to sneak a goat into a refugio ...

but - Goats!! I had a goat once (well, we as a family did when the children were young - along with ponies, dogs, cats, ducks, chickens, rabbits, and various small creatures indoors) and it was quite charming - even when for a joke it would butt you whilst you were bending over gardening it didn't hurt at all - so, here some pics ...!

R (2).jpg

R (1).jpg

Hiking-With-Pack-Goats-is-a-Thing-2.jpg

sfw.new_.Ivan-pulling-Sarah-on-cart.jpg

1e82bb1de3e8f87b9d0995524ac7a702--a-goat.jpg

Come onnnn - tell me your first thought wasn't "but this is brilliant - I want a goat!"

(not real, just a bit of winter fun) ;)

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
Come onnnn - tell me your first thought wasn't "but this is brilliant - I want a goat!"
It wasn't, but I can see the merits of this approach.;)

My experience with goats as a child was with a couple kept by an aunt and uncle for milking, which did put them on the eccentric end of the spectrum. Mind you, my parents kept a house cow until a couple of us developed whole milk allergies, so we might have been quick to judge in our youth.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
A goat is likely to put everyone else to shame climbing any hill or mountain. But you would be faced with the difficulty of trying to bring an English goat into Spain vs finding a suitable Spanish goat on relatively short notice. I'm thinking that there are more than a few variables to this "great" plan.

Oh, and like someone else, my first thought was not to go out and get a goat. My 15 lb dog keeps me busy enough. :)

but can't quite see me taking the train down to the ferry with one and then strolling onto the ship somehow, nor explaining to Spanish border control either :)
What might be needed here is a little cart that transforms into a transport container for said goat when it is on the train or ferry. I can see you putting your mind to that :)

A goat is likely to put everyone else to shame climbing any hill or mountain. But you would be faced with the difficulty of trying to bring an English goat into Spain vs finding a suitable Spanish goat on relatively short notice. I'm thinking that there are more than a few variables to this "great" plan.

Oh, and like someone else, my first thought was not to go out and get a goat. My 15 lb dog keeps me busy enough. :)

Sorted!!

OIP.jpg

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Interesting idea.

Practicalities:

Do goats in general lead well, or are they easily trained to do so?

Which breed & gender would be best?

Fodder?

Night-time "parking"?

Liability insurance?

Goat recipes? (In case of irreconcilable differences :) )

Last edited:
I love your tongue-in-cheek humor 😄
I also love goats, never had one, never had one as a friend (or enemy...though a certain goose comes to mind), but they are hands down one of the most comically photogenic animal on the planet!
I for one am in favor of you renting a goat from a small farm along the way...and allowing me to capture those sure to be priceless moments.
Have a happy day!

Last edited:
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Well, I hadn't thought about goats before, but I can tell you they would be preferable to the horses that use the same paths we travel upon. How many times have we had to step around or slip on the "leavings" the horses deposited. It kind of takes your mind away from enjoying companionship, vistas, and inner thoughts while avoiding their messes. Just a thought...

Good reason to start a, "Goat Exchange Program," AND, "Goat Rental."

No, really ... there is a whole romantic thing about going on Camino with a donkey but they are stubborn, prone to illnesses, expensive, and often refuse to go where you want to go, and they are so big and heavy they win every contest ..

but what about a goat?? Goats are intelligent, funny, friendly (friendly ones are), and as they are much smaller it is easier for the human to win the "which way and when" contest - every time (almost).

Goats pulling trailers and small wagons goes back a long long way .... but one could use a modern bike trailer hitched up to carry all your gear (and a bag of carrots) why, my S-Cargo trailer would be perfect! or buy a goat load saddle (yes, they exist) and put panniers onto the goat .... I think this would be a tenting Camino ... as you might come across the occasional problem trying to sneak a goat into a refugio ...

but - Goats!! I had a goat once (well, we as a family did when the children were young - along with ponies, dogs, cats, ducks, chickens, rabbits, and various small creatures indoors) and it was quite charming - even when for a joke it would butt you whilst you were bending over gardening it didn't hurt at all - so, here some pics ...!

View attachment 116944

View attachment 116945

View attachment 116946

View attachment 116947

View attachment 116949

I met a couple on the Appalachian Trail with a goat with its own set of panniers. It carried the woman's trail needs as she had an affliction which precluded her carrying her own pack. She said it made the difference between her walking the trail or staying home. Kind of her own "Jacotrans" service

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
We have plenty of goats in Crete! Usually friendly and can be ‘trained’. On my daily walking routes I come across them (and sheep) and stop to have a chat — how are you, beautiful day!

Attachments

• 30BD2B04-399C-43B2-88CD-E500A0326899.jpeg
    30BD2B04-399C-43B2-88CD-E500A0326899.jpeg
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
  • A491A856-364A-4512-9C52-2A52978B025D.jpeg
    A491A856-364A-4512-9C52-2A52978B025D.jpeg
    5 MB · Views: 9
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
We have plenty of goats in Crete! Usually friendly and can be ‘trained’. On my daily walking routes I come across them (and sheep) and stop to have a chat — how are you, beautiful day!
Where I live in Mexico, neighbors all around us have goats. They tie them out front to eat the grass in the street. At night we sit out back listening to all the "Ba-a-a-a's". Some nights we Baaa-a-a-a back at them and giggle... Absolutely Love goats :)

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I also love goats, never had one, never had one as a friend (or enemy...though a certain goose comes to mind), but they are hands down one of the most comically photogenic animal on the planet!
I for one am in favor of you renting a goat from a small farm along the way...and allowing me to capture those sure to be priceless moments.
Have a happy day!
I’ve eaten some great goat in Spain. Leg of goat with padron peppers as an example. I actually have a Spanish rescue dog from Andalucia who spent her first 3 years as a goat herder. She has a number of foibles which may result from close acquaintance with goats. She will not walk anywhere she doesn’t want to and will just “plonk” if forced. She will not deviate from a recognised path and when wallking in our local park she will literally follow the white line marking out the football pitch. She refuses to walk a step if the lead is tight. I attach a video of her walking the white line - toeing the line?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I’ve eaten some great goat in Spain. Leg of goat with padron peppers as an example. I actually have a Spanish rescue dog from Andalucia who spent her first 3 years as a goat herder. She has a number of foibles which may result from close acquaintance with goats. She will not walk anywhere she doesn’t want to and will just “plonk” if forced. She will not deviate from a recognised path and when wallking in our local park she will literally follow the white line marking out the football pitch. She refuses to walk a step if the lead is tight. I attach a video of her walking the white line - toeing the line
Lol
I tried goat eons ago but decided I really like my goats alive. Your dog is a sweetheart and quirkly delightful (and certainly is displaying goat-ish behavior).

View attachment 116944

View attachment 116945

View attachment 116946

View attachment 116947

View attachment 116949

No goats. No donkeys.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Lol
I tried goat eons ago but decided I really like my goats alive. Your dog is a sweetheart and quirkly delightful (and certainly is displaying goat-ish behavior).
Thanks. She is a beautiful, quirky creature. Her single eye gives off a piratical impression.

Have a happy day!
Hi @Aloha From Kauai - David has a camino story involving a goose which will have you chortling for the whole day! Perhaps he’ll share it here ... 😉😀

Cheers from Oz -
Jenny

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back