• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't be disappointed if you hope to see Convent of Christ in Tomar

Friend from Barquinha

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
None yet; perhaps the Portugese (2021?)
Following on the heels of the short closure of the Templar's castle in Tomar--a magnificent sight--is more significant lack of availability as they start a large renovation of the site...

1658192374658.png

I know it's on many peregrinos'/peregrinas' "to see" list on the Portuguese Caminho Central.

Translation of part of a local story:

"The first phase of this conservation and restoration action – which will cover the facades and roofs of the Convent of Christ church, which includes the Templar Charola (12th century) and the Manueline Nave (16th century), and where the “world famous” Janela do Chapter – is, in Isabel Cordeiro’s view, of “tremendous” relevance, since it will allow the restoration and conservation of “sculptural elements of extraordinary importance for the understanding of this absolutely unique moment in Portugal, which preserves characteristics authenticity and exceptionality”. "

They will be spending 1 million euros on this part of the work, which will take a year. Then, between next year and 2025, they will be looking at restoring other areas.

No indication of how much access to the sections being worked on will be available in the meantime...just an alert!

Original story (in Portuguese; lots of pictures--the video they mention is just an interview)

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Immpressive restoration project! I have always remembered that the Michelin guide to Portugal gives three stars to the Manueline window on the convent, so it is surely a project worth doing!
It's a Unesco Heritage site, too. Indeed, well overdue.

Although there is a charm to the lichen that grows all over the Manueline window, I've heard it's been very damaging to the underlying stone. It should be stunning when it's restored--and the chapel, too.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Disappointing for those who want to visit it now, but I am thrilled. Tomar and this magnificent site was one of the highlights of my camino Portuguese.

They will be spending 1 million euros on this part of the work, which will take a year. Then, between next year and 2025, they will be looking at restoring other areas.
The Festa dos Tabuleiros (a quadrennial festival in Tomar) takes place next year from July 1-10 so I wonder if they timed it in the hope that this first phase will finish before then and the convent will be scaffolding-free for the festival?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The Festa dos Tabuleiros (a quadrennial festival in Tomar) takes place next year from July 1-10 so I wonder if they timed it in the hope that this first phase will finish before then and the convent will be scaffolding-free for the festival?
Possible, but it's amazing (local comment here) how little the Festa involves anything happening up the hill at the Convent of Christ. The ongoing "two-silo" relationship between the national monuments tourism movement and the local Tomar municipal tourism establishment is rarely more obvious than during the Festa dos Tabuleiros, all of which happens down in the streets of Tomar.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back