• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't Believe Everything Cast Into Stone

jsalt

Jill
Time of past OR future Camino
Portugués, Francés, LePuy, Rota Vicentina, Norte, Madrid, C2C, Salvador, Primitivo, Aragonés, Inglés
I was walking the Camino Inglés recently, and took these photos. Has anybody else noticed the mistake on the middle one?

Taken on 13 Feb 2020 at 13:52
094.jpg

Taken on 13 Feb 2020 at 14:37
095.jpg

Taken on 13 Feb 2020 at 14:40
096.jpg

Jill

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Yes, I thought the rule was “the rays point the way“ except when they don’t.
Could it be whoever erected the monoliths only had right hand tiles. (joke)
Regards
George

I did not notice any mistakes, but am quite ecstatic none of them are covered with moronic graffiti or have had distance plates stolen from them. :D

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
The distances, with their precision after the decimal point, reminded me of some of the markings on the Portuguese camino. I mean, how encouraging is it to read that you have only so many minutes and seconds to go till your next marker? I don't remember distances on other markers. At this moment, only those two. Back to your 'mistake': @NorthernLight has the answer to the problem I did not see till reading her reply!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
All three photos were taken beween Leiro and Bruma. I took the first one (Km 49,995) because I thought it was so ridiculous – for the sake of 0.005 of a kilometre they couldn’t make it a round Km 50,000.

Then I did a double take at the second one (Km 88,863) because I thought I was now going mad. I could have sworn I had only 2 days to go to Santiago, now I had 4.

So at the next junction, when I saw the third one (Km 47,299), I took a photo of that one too out of sheer relief.

If anyone is walking the Camino Inglés in the near future I would love them to check it out as well, before the powers that be spot the mistake!

As for the direction of the shell – that was never consistent the whole way. And because they weren’t consistent, one can’t be 100% sure which direction to go if there is no arrow. There is one such in the centre of Betanzos, before you cross the big market place; it is pointing downwards – or is it upwards? I wasn’t ready to go downwards yet, so decided it must be upwards, and not left or right, and I went straight on.

The mistake has been there at least 2 years, from when we stayed walking the inglés to train for 'away' caminos.....interesting.
MaryEllen

Fun, but should be fixed because it is misleading. These markers are sometimes used in emergencies. It was very frustrating to find missing kilometres on the nearest waymarker when a walker fell and was injured and a companion was trying to arrange an ambulance. But no information is better than the wrong information.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Yes, I thought the rule was “the rays point the way“ except when they don’t. Could it be whoever erected the monoliths only had right hand tiles. (joke)
Regards George
No - don't accept/expect that "rule". The direction of the 'rays' can point either way. In some parts of the camino they point the right way, but not always, so don't follow them - follow the yellow arrows!
Buen camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The "rays" pointing the direction has only ever been a rough convention, and something that has never been instituted systematically ; not anywhere.

I thought the error was that it didn’t say, “Melted Rubber Humans” on it like every stone in the last 300K of the CF in 2018.... 🤬

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back