A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Camino Forum Store

Advertisement

Don't buy a backpack!

Malachiuri

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
St Jean to Burgos 2017
St Jean to Fisterra 2018
St Jean to Fisterra 2020 or Chemin Piemont
Why do you think you need a backpack to enjoy the Camino? What are you taking along that you really need all that room for?

How long are you going to walk? 10 days? 30 days? 60 days? MORE?? What about your clothing? Will it be cold? Hot? Rainy? Sunny? What about your personal care needs? Need a lot of medications or special food?

Just why do you assume a backpack is necessary?

Well, mainly because it is. Seems like we see a lot of folks with giant backpacks along the Camino packed full of stuff. How much do you really need? That is definitely up to you, but I guarantee that backpacks are like luggage. If there is extra room, you will be tempted to fill it and then you will end up with a seriously overloaded pack and Ivar ends up holding half of the crap you packed for you till you reach Santiago.(sorry Ivar...)

So, how do we avoid this dilemma and decide on what size backpack is right for you? Pretty simple.

Don’t buy a backpack first. Buy it nearly last. Assemble all of your gear, throw it in a tub and take it to a reputable outdoor or hiking shop.(REI, Jax, etc, someplace that has the ability to measure and fit you correctly) Haul that tub o’ gear in and tell the nice pro at the backpack area you need to carry this load, plus 10% expansion for 500 miles. Experiment with different packs till you find the right pack for you.

I originally had intended to use a 65L pack I picked up in Cambodia till I had the inspiration to take my crap to REI. I ended up using a 40L daypack for my full Camino and it was splendid. BTW, Im a large football player build guy and wear all XXL clothing so it does take up a fair amount of room, but the 40L was plenty for me, YMMV.

So, in short, don’t overbuy a backpack! Get what you actually need, not what you think you need before have a handle on what you are taking.

Advertisment

VNwalking

Veteran Member
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Francés ('14/'15)
St Olav/Francés ('16)
Baztanés/Francés ('17)
Ingles ('18)
Good point, @Malachiuri , but perhaps you should rename the thread.

A backpack is necessary. But maybe not a big one - which was your message.
I have a 50L pack that I can either fill or not depending on what time of year it is. Buying a second smaller pack would be silly in my situation, though. I just use the pack I have and do not fill it.

Bajaracer

Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Actually for those doing the last 100km, I recommend small pack, just enough to carry, snacks, extra socks, water, and a jacket, the rest of your things can go in a suitcase and you can have that transported for €3 a day, hard to justify spending all that cash for a big backpack that you'll be using at most 6-8 days X €3 a day = €24, cheaper than buying that big pack.

Advertisment

kelleymac

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
March/April 2015, Late April 2016, Sept/Oct 2017
Actually for those doing the last 100km, I recommend small pack, just enough to carry, snacks, extra socks, water, and a jacket, the rest of your things can go in a suitcase and you can have that transported for €3 a day, hard to justify spending all that cash for a big backpack that you'll be using at most 6-8 days X €3 a day = €24, cheaper than buying that big pack.
Even if a person is hiking only the last 100km, I recommend they carry their own stuff and not get it transported unless there is a medical reason. The realization that "stuff" is a burden and rethinking what is necessary is a big part of walking. -- Also, if you've got a suitcase (or two) being transported, you never stop shopping.

KinkyOne

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
I'am not perfect, but I'm always myself!!!
Even if a person is hiking only the last 100km, I recommend they carry their own stuff and not get it transported unless there is a medical reason. The realization that "stuff" is a burden and rethinking what is necessary is a big part of walking. -- Also, if you've got a suitcase (or two) being transported, you never stop shopping.
Ditto!!!

JillGat

la tierra encantada
Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
C. Frances
SJPP - Finisterre - Muxia, May 2016
C. Frances, Sept 2017
C. de Salvador/Primitivo (2018)
I worked in a backpacking store for years. When a couple would come in, looking for backpacks, I would tell one to get the smallest, practical size backpack. But talk their companion into getting a bigger one. That way they can say, "I don't have room for this; can I put it in your pack?"

Camino(s) past & future
Sarria (2015) SJPdP (2016) Burgos (2017) SJPdP (2018)
I carry a 70 lt backpack but I've had it for a while, I don't feel I need to replace it as it still works fine. However, it is far larger than it needs to be.

I have helped carry gear for other pilgrims who had problems carrying their stuff because their feet were ON FIRE and covered with blisters and that backpack came in handy. I no longer come close to ever filling it up except in circumstances such as those described above.

My advice is to get a pack that you can use anywhere, anytime, any place, etc., etc. If people want a microscopic, miniature, small, big, or gigantic packs who are we to tell them what they should or shouldn't use as long as it does the job for them.

Camino(s) past & future
El Norte 2016
All excess space should be used to carry that very special rock that you must carry from your home town to Santiago. The authorities are now requesting for the 2019 season that rocks be a minimum of 4 kgs and be as close to blue in colour as is feasible. Please deposit the rocks outside the Compostela office in Santiago.

Camino(s) past & future
end May to June 2014

Camino(s) past & future
end May to June 2014
thank you for this advice. Where will you find the van/bus company that will carry for you for 3 Euros a day? And where would tell them to drop the pack if you have not booked on ahead at each stop? Thank you for your advice.

Bajaracer

Camino Frances 2013 Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2013) Jun-Jul SJPDP to Finisterre
thank you for this advice. Where will you find the van/bus company that will carry for you for 3 Euros a day? And where would tell them to drop the pack if you have not booked on ahead at each stop? Thank you for your advice.
You call them or have the albergue call them for you the night before, the albergue usually have envelopes from the transfer service, just fill out the info for the place you want to go the next day and insert the cash in the envelope, attach it to you bag, and leave it at the front entrance of the albergue.
The albergues can also call and reserve ahead for the next day, just ask them.
Use the guidebook and estimate how far you'll walk the next day and find an albergue to deliver it to. When you show up and there are no beds, pick up your stuff and find another place in town.
https://www.elcaminoconcorreos.com/en/rucksack-transfer/paqs/from-sarria-to-santiago-de-compostela
http://www.theroadtosantiago.com/sending-your-backpack-ahead.html

David Tallan

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - central from Oporto (2018 - planned)
I went with a 30 L backpack, but it was still a backpack. I wore it on my back. I didn't carry my stuff in a shoulder bag or a duffel bag or a suitcase. I suppose I could have avoided buying a backpack by borrowing one, but you can't always be sure of a good fit that way.

Michael-FL

Donating Member
Camino(s) past & future
Caminho Portugues (2017)
Why do you think you need a backpack to enjoy the Camino? What are you taking along that you really need all that room for?

How long are you going to walk? 10 days? 30 days? 60 days? MORE?? What about your clothing? Will it be cold? Hot? Rainy? Sunny? What about your personal care needs? Need a lot of medications or special food?

Just why do you assume a backpack is necessary?

Well, mainly because it is. Seems like we see a lot of folks with giant backpacks along the Camino packed full of stuff. How much do you really need? That is definitely up to you, but I guarantee that backpacks are like luggage. If there is extra room, you will be tempted to fill it and then you will end up with a seriously overloaded pack and Ivar ends up holding half of the crap you packed for you till you reach Santiago.(sorry Ivar...)

So, how do we avoid this dilemma and decide on what size backpack is right for you? Pretty simple.

Don’t buy a backpack first. Buy it nearly last. Assemble all of your gear, throw it in a tub and take it to a reputable outdoor or hiking shop.(REI, Jax, etc, someplace that has the ability to measure and fit you correctly) Haul that tub o’ gear in and tell the nice pro at the backpack area you need to carry this load, plus 10% expansion for 500 miles. Experiment with different packs till you find the right pack for you.

I originally had intended to use a 65L pack I picked up in Cambodia till I had the inspiration to take my crap to REI. I ended up using a 40L daypack for my full Camino and it was splendid. BTW, Im a large football player build guy and wear all XXL clothing so it does take up a fair amount of room, but the 40L was plenty for me, YMMV.

So, in short, don’t overbuy a backpack! Get what you actually need, not what you think you need before have a handle on what you are taking.
Wise words. I might add: pack light and then throw stuff out! When I was packing for the Camino last year I found myself “what-iffing” myself to death: “What if this happens? What if I need this? etc. I was trying to apply the old Boy Scout (I’m an Eagle Scout) motto: “Be Prepared.” I ended up WAY overpacking and hurting my right knee by Day 3. Don’t do that! My lesson also had mental/emotional/spiritual implications; that we need to unload ourselves of all the psychic crap we carry around with ourselves - and the Camino was a good time to start! Ultreya.

Camino(s) past & future
SJPdP to Santiago
Sep/Oct 2015
I got my contents down to 6 kilos. I didn't want a pack with a lot of empty space in order that I wouldn't be tempted to fill it. I picked one with just enough space so that things weren't jammed in tight.

But the pack was a tad too short for the length of my back. I ended up fussing with the adjustments every hour or two the entire Camino.

OLDER threads on this topic

Most read today

Advertisement

Most read today

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 7 1.2%
  • February

Votes: 3 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 26 4.4%
  • April

Votes: 94 15.9%
  • May

Votes: 154 26.0%
  • June