• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't bypass OASIS at O ALCOUCE 39

RumAndChupacabras

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Jul-Sept 2019: Six weeks in Northern Spain.
Apr 2018 Asturias
May 2016 CP: Portuguese
I've been trying to find this WONDERFUL little oasis that we stopped into, during a long day of walking. For the life of me, I just can't find it on Google Maps! A man named "Manny" (and his wife) ran it back in 2016. They served us a platter of meats and cheeses and another of tomatoes and onions from their garden! He also served us his homemade, green wine! they had a lot of cats and chickens and ducks! If you've been here or simply know where it is, please let me know.

PS..."Johanna from Finland" wherever you are, please find me! 🥰

EDIT:
"OASIS"
Rua Alcouce, 39
36140, Pontevedra, Spain
42.380008, -8.629542

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I don't recall seeing it myself. However, here's a link to a 2015 blog of a couple who stopped there on their Camino. They describe their visit in detail, with photos that match yours, discussions of Manuel, and so on.

Maybe you'll find some clues in the blog or you might contact the couple and ask them if they can provide more details on the location (the blog is in Italian but Google Translate works well). Maybe they have photos that are gps-enabled. From their comments, it is clearly on the approach to Pontevedra.

Perhaps you can use the postal code (36140) to help narrow the search on Google Maps.

Good luck!

Thank you so much, @stratophile! I tried all forms of address searches and haven't found it...yet. ;)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I saw it referenced on a few other blogs, too. Again, if necessary contact the bloggers and ask if they have any photos with geo-location enabled. You can then draw the coordinates from the photo. Based on the details on Manuel's sello, I would assume they are (were) somewhere reasonably close to the following coordinates: 42.379326, -8.628721.

Another option might be to contact the town halls, albergues, and restaurants along the Camino in the region and ask them if the sello or photo looks familiar or if they recall a nearby café run by Manuel and his wife (whose name was María, apparently). Someone in the area will know them.

Everyone who mentions Manuel seemed to love their stop at Oasis. Am surprised I hadn't heard about it before this.

Last edited:
I saw it referenced on a few other blogs, too...Manuel and his wife (whose name was María, apparently)...Everyone who mentions Manuel seemed to love their stop at Oasis. Am surprised I hadn't heard about it before this.
María is her name, Super! Thank you so much for all of your help! Maybe you'll have a new place to waymark??? I'd really like to go back there. I'm going to mail them. 😁

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Ha! That's only about 90m from the coordinates I posted earlier! LOL. Congrats on finding them.

Looks like they were still open in July 2017.

Neither Google nor OSM lists a POI for them and I don't have anything in my notes, so no idea if they are still open.

If you hear back from them or can otherwise confirm that they are still open let me know and I'll add an entry for them to my database. I doubt I'll be on that stretch of the Portugués myself this year.

Ha! That's only about 90m from the coordinates I posted earlier! LOL. If you hear back from them or can otherwise confirm that they are still open let me know and I'll add an entry for them to my database.

Right? You were really close. I'll absolutely let you know, if I hear back!

It really is a wonderful spot. My wife and I were walking by end of September 2018 and noticed the little sign on his gate, peeked over the gate and asked "Cafe?" to which Manny quickly Un minuto por favor." We enjoyed a very relaxing break with his very welcoming personality. I don't speak much Spanish, he speaks more English then I speak Spanish, but we managed a very enjoyable conversation about the "rally" mentality of many pilgrims not stopping to enjoy the walk.
Definitely recommend his Oasis to anyone.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back