• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't forget Masks, Hand Sanitizer, Sleeping Bag, Sleeping Pad and Contactless Credit/Debit Card..

For my sins, I've just read all of this thread.
I'm wondering about pillows. If I was running an albergue I think I'd withdraw them from circulation along with the blankets etc.
A couple of years ago I got tempted to buy the Sea to Summit premium Aeros blow-up pillow. It seemed like a bit of an unnecessarily expensive luxury at the time, but it's been truly excellent for me. It's 79g / 2.5 ounces that I don't ever resent carrying.
Some of the albergues have pillows that are covered in the same kind of vinyl material that can be easily wiped down as the mattresses. Plus they can be covered with either (or both) a disposable pillow case, or the Pilgrim's own pillow case.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I'm wondering about pillows. If I was running an albergue I think I'd withdraw them from circulation along with the blankets etc.
A couple of years ago I got tempted to buy the Sea to Summit premium Aeros blow-up pillow. It seemed like a bit of an unnecessarily expensive luxury at the time, but it's been truly excellent for me. It's 79g / 2.5 ounces that I don't ever resent carrying.

Try the ‘bladder’ out of a wine box. Weighs nothing, costs nothing.

(Assuming you can find someone prepared to drink a couple of litres of distinctly average wine)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

Well some people do bring their own pillows already. But as I understood everything, it will continue as it has in most places already. Albergues providing a disposable sheet for the mattress and for the pillow. Not a lot changed except blankets not being provided. Some albergues almost did not change at all because they already had really good procedures.

Reality might be different.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
A selection of Camino Jewellery
I had seen it before, too, though in Spanish. I'm used to the suggestions to bring my own water bottle, but I was a bit surprised to see the suggestion to bring my own cutlery and dinnerware.

Sleeping mats have gone out of fashion in the past few years because of the boom in number of places to stay. Mats were no longer needed. Now, with albergue capacity halved and many albergues not opening at all, there are likely to be lots more "opportunities" to channel your inner cowboy and sleep rough. Thus the sleeping mat suggestion.
You may need gloves, especially when shopping, handling money and cards, or just moving around with door handles, pack zippers, etc. or on transport... places where no soap and water are available. Gloves, masks, sanitizer, and spray cleaners are available everywhere. Don't freak out if and when someone takes your temperature with a touchless thermometer. My dentist does this, my pharmacist does this, my monastery chapel does this!
Smaller, family-run albergues and cafes still prefer cash. They handle it with gloves on. You still may have trouble paying with a card some places, so please carry some cash. The few donativos that are open don't have credit card machines.
People who insist on coming to the camino and walking this year really must have adequate insurance coverage, for your health and for the trip. Things may cost more this year, be prepared. The virus is still active. If an outbreak is suspected, you will be expected to get off the Camino and get yourself home immediately. If an outbreak happens where you are, you could be quarantined.
Be ready for anything.

The box, available in many Donativos, Hurtas, Mountain Huts & Bothies, where honest users can leave their honest contribution to the cost of maintaining the facility. Or, like my local Apiarist's Honesty Box where anyone who wants a jar of his Honey is expected to leave their cash, or like the box my neighbour puts out to collect donations to charity in exchange for the plants he grows and nurtures.

A large number of the farmer's market open air vendors in my town, maintain two containers on their tables. One to insert paper money, which is harder to disinfect and another with coins to make change. Coins can be cleaned with hand sanitizer. Customers handle the money and not the vendor. Vendors indicated that there is an unintended consequence. Often the price of 1.80 is rounded up to 2.00 rather than make change. They very rarely lose money on a transaction. I find that the shopping environment, out in the fresh air, among vendors who have grown their own fruit and vegetables creates a conviviality which is not found while elbowing your way through to the lettuce in supermarkets.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Do some lateral thinking ole buddy! I use an ultra lightweight inflatable mat EXPED) which weighs next to nothing! It doesn't need a pump thanks to that wonderful invention the Snozzle bag :) I don't use Albergues so its a room or nothing with the nothing being Church doorways etc. Hence the mat! It used to come in very handy for airport floors as well! As to age and cowboy camping, at 82 I am no cowboy and my romance with the Camino started when I was 65, so there!

Yours aye,

The Malingerer.

:) :) :)
😊Well said, and thank you for putting the current smile on my face😊

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Perhaps this would work as an indoor tent (I’m kidding because I’m sure it weighs a lot.)View attachment 78214
I don't think it includes the bed, which should cut down the weight a lot. I think it is designed to go around a twin-sized mattress in any bed you find, turning it into one of those "privacy pods" that some of the newer albergues have. Might be problematic in a bunk bed, though, depending on how much vertical space you have before you hit the top bunk (for lower bunk use) or ceiling (for upper bunk use).

Bumping this thread and hoping for advice for those who have walked / are walking the camino during the pandemic (especially the CP, but I'll take what I can get!). Do you recommend bringing a sleeping bag and pillow for albergues based on whether blankets and pillows are being provided? Apart from masks and sanitiser, is there anything else you would recommend bringing that might not have been typical for a pre-COVID camino?

Last edited:
New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.