• Update: The images and attachemnets are now back, we are generating new thumbnails.... (this takes time with 20 years of photos). I know the notification icon gives an error. That error should be gone within an hour or two. Sorry again! Ivar
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't skimp on the shoes

mcdeltat

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances from Sarria (April 2015)
I recently did the camino and I had a rough time. I hope that y'all can learn from my mistake. I bought cheap "work boots" from Payless, instead of investing in proper walking/hiking shoes.

I was in pain almost the whole way. The shoes were too heavy and too small. They were putting pressure on two parts of my feet (my big toes and the right edges) rather than distributing the weight evenly. I had huge blisters on my big toes. My knees were in intense pain the whole time. There were times where I thought I was destroying my legs and I would never walk again. Seriously.

I wanted to buy new shoes on the last day (in O Pedrouso) but I couldn't because it was a holiday.

I finally did get some new shoes... in Santiago. (Along with some Ibuprofen and stuff) They are Solomon walking shoes with Goretex (it rains a lot) and performance insoles. They made a world of difference! Whereas, the day before, I could barely walk, with the new shoes, I was walking all over Santiago and then Madrid, the next day. It was incredible.

I had to learn this the hard way, but hopefully, y'all don't make the same mistake I did: GET PROPER SHOES!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I recently did the camino and I had a rough time. I hope that y'all can learn from my mistake. I bought cheap "work boots" from Payless, instead of investing in proper walking/hiking shoes.

I was in pain almost the whole way. The shoes were too heavy and too small. They were putting pressure on two parts of my feet (my big toes and the right edges) rather than distributing the weight evenly. I had huge blisters on my big toes. My knees were in intense pain the whole time. There were times where I thought I was destroying my legs and I would never walk again. Seriously.

I wanted to buy new shoes on the last day (in O Pedrouso) but I couldn't because it was a holiday.

I finally did get some new shoes... in Santiago. (Along with some Ibuprofen and stuff) They are Solomon walking shoes with Goretex (it rains a lot) and performance insoles. They made a world of difference! Whereas, the day before, I could barely walk, with the new shoes, I was walking all over Santiago and then Madrid, the next day. It was incredible.

I had to learn this the hard way, but hopefully, y'all don't make the same mistake I did: GET PROPER SHOES!!!
Thank you for sharing your experience. Sorry you suffered but glad you learned. That knowledge will serve you well in future adventures.

Gosh - that sounds perfectly miserable.
When you are back home , you might want to apply a 'feet pampering regime' to hopefully remedy the damage done by poor footwear. (self-massage, foot-exercises, balm/creme, proper pedicure, etc)
Cheaply made shoes never pay-off. but it pays to invest in well made shoes/foot wear (socks included).
I've noticed that often people take more care / attention into car maintenance than their own body. (i.e. great tyres, but poor foot-wear; regular oil-change, but no visit to the doctors, etc etc).
I really hope your feet will mend soon - so sorry you had that painful experience.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As of now, I have not purchased my boots, but am training in an excellent pair of low cut walking shoes. I've tried on both Ahnu and Solomon mids ( for ankle support). My understanding is they are both great. It's getting the proper size that has been a bit of a challenge; some say get one size large than your normal size; others say go two sizes larger; problem being, each boot is vastly different in fit. I know I'll find the right one soon. I still have 3 1/2 months, but am training every day locally….

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
As of now, I have not purchased my boots, but am training in an excellent pair of low cut walking shoes. I've tried on both Ahnu and Solomon mids ( for ankle support). My understanding is they are both great. It's getting the proper size that has been a bit of a challenge; some say get one size large than your normal size; others say go two sizes larger; problem being, each boot is vastly different in fit. I know I'll find the right one soon. I still have 3 1/2 months, but am training every day locally….

Hi Maggie, I wore the Ahnu Montara Nubuck Boots last year when I walked the Portugese Camino, I bought half a size bigger and found them to be an excellent boot, I like the different colours they come in so i bought purple to be different. I only did a few training walks in them because I train on tarred roads and I didn't want to wear the heels down, they were just so comfortable as soon as I put my feet into them I didn't think they needed wearing in, but then my feet are fairly tough after standing cutting hair for 45 years. While training for my 2011 VdlP walk i wore the heels down on a pair of Keen boots and had to buy a new pair just before I left for Spain (Keens do have the reputation of heels wearing down quickly) I couldn't buy the same Keen boot for my next walk so I went with the Ahnu. I also like the ankle support of the Ahnu and they are a really light boot, I had no blister problems and have already bought the same boot for my walk next year. I went to the shop were I bought the first pair to make sure they still sold them and they were half price and I couldn't pass up such a bargin. I thought this info may help you because no one on the forum talks about Ahnu boots. Buen Camino Judy.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
HI Judy, thanks so much for your post. It just reinforces my hunt. I looked again at an outdoor store here in Victoria and they don't have the mid cut. If I were sure I could go with a size bigger, I would try getting them on line. One on-line outlet who does have them, does not ship to Canada, so still looking. Yes, my friend who wore them last year (same boot as you) swore by them. I'll let you now.

On the Camino Frances Sept 2014 the most common health problem I encountered related to feet. We went with medium weight above ankle boots (KEEN) for ankle support on down hill stretches. Practice on downhill stretches to be sure your feet don't slide. We also used glide and a liner sock, with moleskin over bony prominences. Blister prevention beats any treatment.

I've said it a kazillion times: Buy your shoes 1 to 1.5 sizes larger than you normally wear and don't skimp on shoes or pack. Those are your most important purchases.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Hi Maggie, I wore the Ahnu Montara Nubuck Boots last year when I walked the Portugese Camino, I bought half a size bigger and found them to be an excellent boot, I like the different colours they come in so i bought purple to be different. I only did a few training walks in them because I train on tarred roads and I didn't want to wear the heels down, they were just so comfortable as soon as I put my feet into them I didn't think they needed wearing in, but then my feet are fairly tough after standing cutting hair for 45 years. While training for my 2011 VdlP walk i wore the heels down on a pair of Keen boots and had to buy a new pair just before I left for Spain (Keens do have the reputation of heels wearing down quickly) I couldn't buy the same Keen boot for my next walk so I went with the Ahnu. I also like the ankle support of the Ahnu and they are a really light boot, I had no blister problems and have already bought the same boot for my walk next year. I went to the shop were I bought the first pair to make sure they still sold them and they were half price and I couldn't pass up such a bargin. I thought this info may help you because no one on the forum talks about Ahnu boots. Buen Camino Judy.
Hi Judy, just ordered them on line….guess what colour? Purple. I had seen that colour before in the Ahnu (different cut) and loved it. I got one size larger to be on the safe side. I'm sure they'll be fine. That's one more think to check off the list. I still have almost 4 months so plant of time to use them here. Thanks so much..Maggie

Hi Maggie, I'm pleased you were able to buy what you wanted. I remember when i was preparing for my first walk the feeling of being one step closer to walking after i had bought another piece of gear and i could say to myself "yes my walk is really going to happen". Have fun training Maggie, Buen Camino, Judy.

I agree that good footwear and backpack are really worth investing as much as you can in. However, being Scottish and born with the...erm...'economic prudence' of that race, I couldn't resist a bargain pair of Karrimor boots at £38 ($55 US) for a short 5 day Camino last year. They were on the heavy side, but fitted well, appeared to be reasonably sturdy and with Vibram soles. I put a new pair of Scarpa insoles in them and a better pair of laces from my old boots, so total cost £50.

I have to say that they performed pretty well! The left boot developed a squeak, that was a bit annoying, but they were comfortable, I didn't get blisters, and they're still going strong now.

I repeat that overall I agree that footwear is worth the investment, especially for long Caminos, but if funds are very limited and you find some well-fitting 'old tech' boots, you might get away with it on shorter distances.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You also can just wear your favorite pair of trainers as long as they have good tread. Better a pair of well-broken in shoes than new ones that will squeeze your feet like a vice when they swell (and they WILL swell).

I've said it a kazillion times: Buy your shoes 1 to 1.5 sizes larger than you normally wear and don't skimp on shoes or pack. Those are your most important purchases.
prior to the pilgrimage i've read this advice many times and actually bought a pair of fine ARIAT hiking shoes 1 (one) size up my regular one. uh, wasn't a good idea. i had to return them and got my regular sized shoes.
and had a splendid time with them all the way to santiago, sans a single blister.
my feet apparently did not obey the common adament advice of : buy a size or 1.5 larger.
just a word of caution when stating something categorically: as in: "...they WILL swell".....
i would have been in a sea of misery had i heeded that particular advise and not listened to my own feet-experience. same sized shoes worked fine in my case. plus i still had the liner-socks thingy going, i.e. 2 pair of socks and same size shoes.
go figure :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Yes i agree with Amorfati1 about the feet swelling, i have walked two Caminos and exprienced no swelling at all. I buy my shoes half a size bigger mainly to accomodate my slightly thicker merino socks and have had no problems. The thing that most concerns me with shoes is to have a wide toe box which ihad with my Keen boots on my first walk and now with the Ahnu boots that i wore last year and will wear next year. It is hard to understand why some people really suffer with foot problems and are continually trying different ideas to try and eliminate blisters and other problems and still each walk they have blisters again and yet others have no problems at all, i guess it boils down to we are all different. Buen Camino Judy.

Was just re-reading some sections in Brierley's updated Guide; "walking shoes/boots: should provide good ankle support, be breathable, lightweight and yet have strong soles for the rough ground you will encounter.Heavyweight boots are not necessary but consider trail shoes with waterproof lining if travelling in the winter season". I did read somewhere else that too much space in the boot/shoe can cause more friction; that the fit should be snug.

Was just re-reading some sections in Brierley's updated Guide; "walking shoes/boots: should provide good ankle support, be breathable, lightweight and yet have strong soles for the rough ground you will encounter.Heavyweight boots are not necessary but consider trail shoes with waterproof lining if travelling in the winter season". I did read somewhere else that too much space in the boot/shoe can cause more friction; that the fit should be snug.

I'd like everyone to be careful when buying "snug" walking shoes. Many women are used to snug, supportive shoes that are actually too narrow and too small. The support they are accustomed to, is squashing their feet and toes into a shape that puts the weight on the inner halves of the feet, disallowing the toes to work. -- So... Take out the shoe insert, set your foot on it. If your foot overlaps the insert, the shoe is the wrong shape for your foot. Also, make sure you can wiggle and use your toes to grip when you're going down hill or walking. Feet swell after a few hours of walking. And muscles get bigger when you use them (i.e. walk 100 miles). So get a pair of shoes that are 1 to 1 1/2 bigger than you think you need. If they are too loose at first (in the mornings on early days on the camino), wear an extra pair of socks. You may need to buy a new pair of shoes half way through-- say in Leon, or Burgos.

Women's regular shoes in the US are a B width. Men's regular shoes in the US are a D. After wearing hiking shoes in my regular size (too narrow for my feet), and being in pain for days on my first camino, I now hike in men's size 8 with a big toe box. (I lost my big toe nails because my shoes were too small.) That's two sizes bigger than before I started walking.

Buen Camino!

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Starting our Camino on May 6. Super excited! These forums have been awesome! Doing Coastal Portuguese from Porto with my daughter and her girlfriend. Definitely packing good lightweight rain...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.