• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't stop thinking about tomorrow...

mikebet

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPdP to Pamplona (2016); Baiona to Santiago (2018); Sarria to Santiago (2018)
...but don't stop thinking about today, either. I'm reminded in this winter of our camino discontent of my all-time favorite poem, "Ithaka" (Google it) by the Greek poet C.P. Cavafy. As the dream of a 2021 camino gradually and sadly concedes to the reality of the pandemic in Spain it's probably a good idea to focus on present circumstances. In that vein, what are ya'll doing in the meantime either as an alternative to the camino or just something to make this enforced hiatus tolerable (or even useful) in some other way?

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
...but don't stop thinking about today, either. I'm reminded in this winter of our camino discontent of my all-time favorite poem, "Ithaka" (Google it) by the Greek poet C.P. Cavafy. As the dream of a 2021 camino gradually and sadly concedes to the reality of the pandemic in Spain it's probably a good idea to focus on present circumstances. In that vein, what are ya'll doing in the meantime either as an alternative to the camino or just something to make this enforced hiatus tolerable (or even useful) in some other way?

The first thing your thread title brought to mind for me was Fleetwood Mac. Different cultural frame of reference I suppose.

Are you familiar with a concept known - depending on your cultural appreciation as:

1 The ship of Theseus (I claim this is mine)
2 My Grandfather’s axe
3 Trigger’s broom (you have to be British), or
4 The line-up of the Sugababes (I confess to not actually knowing who they are)

The first thing your thread title brought to mind for me was Fleetwood Mac. Different cultural frame of reference I suppose.

Are you familiar with a concept known - depending on your cultural appreciation as:

2 My Grandfather’s axe

Cheers! Learned something new with googling number three!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

2 My Grandfather’s axe
I was invoking the Fleetwood Mac song, but the Cavafy poem is more in line with my thinking. You got me on the "Ship of Theseus," reference however. I'm familiar with the conundrum, but don't see how it fits here.

I was invoking the Fleetwood Mac song, but the Cavafy poem is more in line with my thinking. You got me on the "Ship of Theseus," reference however. I'm familiar with the conundrum, but don't see how it fits here.
I’m sorry - I thought the thread title was a reference to the more erudite poem you cited.

I was confessing my cultural ignorance in thinking that it was from a popular song. Turns out I was wrong.

The ship of Theseus example is from metaphysics, first described by Plato and others and asks the question ‘if every part of the ship of Theseus is replaced, bit by bit, is the resulting ship still the ship of Theseus.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, the lineup of the (I had to google them) all-female singing group the Sugababes, changed one at a time such that none of the original lineup remained. Are they therefore the Sugababes and - if the original lineup reformed would they (ignoring intellectual property rights) also be the Sugababes?

The intermediate examples are two of hundreds which exist through time and internationally.

It is said that one’s cultural frame of reference can be readily identified by which of the variants on Ship of Theseus one relates to.

My intention was self-deprecating.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I’m sorry - I thought the thread title was a reference to the more erudite poem you cited.

I was confessing my cultural ignorance in thinking that it was from a popular song. Turns out I was wrong.

The ship of Theseus example is from metaphysics, first described by Plato and others and asks the question ‘if every part of the ship of Theseus is replaced, bit by bit, is the resulting ship still the ship of Theseus.

From the sublime to the ridiculous, the lineup of the (I had to google them) all-female singing group the Sugababes, changed one at a time such that none of the original lineup remained. Are they therefore the Sugababes and - if the original lineup reformed would they (ignoring intellectual property rights) also be the Sugababes?

The intermediate examples are two of hundreds which exist through time and internationally.

It is said that one’s cultural frame of reference can be readily identified by which of the variants on Ship of Theseus one relates to.

My intention was self-deprecating.
Well, Theseus had a ship and Odysseus had a ship and they were both Greek, so I guess there is some overlap. Not to mention the fact that they both had both romantic liaisons and near-death experiences during their travels. Cruising was obviously more interesting then.

Back to you asking what we are doing in the meantime to fill the Camino void. Besides delving into this website, I do walking4fun, sometimes look at Camino photos, and now I have splurged and bought tickets for October, even though I know I am going to have to reschedule for 2022.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Well, that busts it!

I've been practicing for a presentation and took a break. I decided to check in with the Forum and came across this thread.

Now I have a "Don't stop thinking about tomorrow!" involuntary musical imagery (INMI), or "earworm" blocking my train of thought. Guess I'm stuck on a siding for a bit.

I am learning from the little sparrow:

A sparrow forgot to fly south in the autumn, and suddenly one day it started to snow, and he realised he had forgotten to emigrate to warmer lands. So he started to fly south, but too late and too high. So his wings were covered with ice, and he fell to the ground, in a farmer's field.

It was icy cold, but shortly later the farmer was plowing his field, and his horse released a solid dropping on top of the little sparrow.

He soon became warm and happy, but after a while, he thought it was discusting to lie in a pile of sh*t, so he started making squeeking noises in the hope of being found by someone.The cat on the farm heard his call, and came out and picked him up carefully, and cleaned him thoroughly. Then the cat ate the sparrow.

The moral of this story is as follows:

He who sh*ts on you is not neccessarily your enemy.

He who gets you out out of the sh*t is not neccessarily your friend.

If you are warm and happy in a pile of sh*t, keep your mouth shut.

That's what I do at home now. And it goes for most workplaces, too...

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Back to you asking what we are doing in the meantime to fill the Camino void. Besides delving into this website, I do walking4fun, sometimes look at Camino photos, and now I have splurged and bought tickets for October, even though I know I am going to have to reschedule for 2022.
Yup, I've been looking at flights SFO-MAD for late September or early October. Might pull the trigger if airlines continue their liberal change policies so no jeopardy if conditions do not improve. It would be psychological comfort just to see it on the wall calendar.

In my world enough of world, including myself, is vaccinated by mid-May to allow travel.

I arrive in Spain May 25TH via aeroplane. I train to Seville; sightsee and rest for a few days.

Start walking VdlP May 29/30. CF, Astorga to Ponferrada. Camino Invierno to Santiago.

I arrive by July 23RD. Rest. Get Compostela. Take Cathedral rooftop tour. Watch Holy Year fireworks. Attend celebratory mass. Visit @SYates, and others.

Then off to Fisterra. This time I take Dumbria fork to Muxia. Then on to Fisterra.

This idyll has taken a fair amount of my day’s time for quite a bit.

Keeps me sane.

Otherwise: Netflix, caregiving, training for aforementioned journey, WWF, and praying are my time spenders during this...this.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Well, I suppose I am trying to keep fit so that when the camino does call again, I will still be in a state to walk it. I'm just not sure how much longer it will be and whether the hips/knee/shoulder joints give up before then.
Meanwhile, I spent this morning researching the Herefordshire trail. 250km jaunt around the beautiful English countryside. It would be quite a challenge for me to do as the logical stages are too long for me. It would also cost a small fortune - £100 a night for some B&Bs, and then there's meals to add as well. Left me wondering if it would be worth it, especially as so many of the reasons I walk probably won't be there.

but tomorrow never comes!

In 8 tomorrows I get my second COVID vaccine. I also went to Ithaca College and I am thinking about when me and the Ithaca College Boys can meet for our annual reunion. This time to celebrate our 50 years of friendship. Then off to Sevilla, I hope. Finally I look forward more than anything to the tomorrow to see my beautiful daughters again.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Well, I suppose I am trying to keep fit so that when the camino does call again, I will still be in a state to walk it. I'm just not sure how much longer it will be and whether the hips/knee/shoulder joints give up before then.
Meanwhile, I spent this morning researching the Herefordshire trail. 250km jaunt around the beautiful English countryside. It would be quite a challenge for me to do as the logical stages are too long for me. It would also cost a small fortune - £100 a night for some B&Bs, and then there's meals to add as well. Left me wondering if it would be worth it, especially as so many of the reasons I walk probably won't be there.
You have hit on one of my concerns, too. At 75 I don't have much more time to waste waiting for the Camino or any other active diversion to be open again. Years do go by quickly the more they build up, and plans deferred (i.e., a year lost) at this stage of life seems particularly unfortunate. Getting closer to my personal Ithaka (Cavafy again) I wouldn't mind another adventure before arriving.

First vaccination tomorrow, then second in late February. My wife will have her first sometime in March. So some degree of personal safety is coming soon for us.

But instead of international travel, we are thinking about travelling around the Western U.S. to revisit some national parks and also see some we have yet to visit (like Capitol Reef and Canyonlands). In the meantime, I am going to continue with my on-line study of the history of film. Last September the class started with the Lumiere brothers and ended with Citizen Kane. The next term will take the class from Welles to the present. For me, these on-line courses have been an ideal way to combat the feelings of isolation and depression that can come with being in a lockdown situation.

My wife and I are also extremely fortunate that we have each other, so we are buffered from feeling isolated. Also that our children and grandchildren live near us. We are very lucky and this is something for which I am very grateful.

Best to all in these still difficult times.

One day flows into another living on a hillside near a little town in the mountains of British Columbia. Trying to walk or snowshoe regularly, keep motivated by following daily routines. Thank goodness for FaceTime so we can see our daughters and grandchild. My younger brother wants to walk a Camino in 2022, so we are starting to exchange emails about that....I hope to go with him, I think I have another Camino or so in me ( at 72).
In the words of our Provincial Health Officer : " This is just for now, it is not forever...be kind to one another."

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
With reference to what are we doing to keep fit so we can still walk the Camino, I invested in subscribing to a website so that I can do my beloved exercise regime,
Body Balance. I used to do it at the gym but now do it at home on a yoga mat. I walk in local woods when I can but currently self isolating as about to have a medical procedure. Tomorrow will come

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.