• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't tease me- more beta

Nanc

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances (Sept 2016)
SDC/ Finesterre/ Muxia (2016)
i collected a bunch of bookmarks, noting various raves people had about albergues, food, tapas bars etc.
I began to try integrate the comments into the albergue PDF in my resources. ( so as I came into town I could look up that best puplo, yummy salad, that garden at that cute albergue)
Unfortunately, to a novice pilgrim, it's not easily done. I have tried to input some of the descriptive locations and I suppose i could try to open google maps to see what the name was of that bar 2 doors down from the statue, or hunt through booking.com for albergue descriptions to see who had a garden,
BUT it would be really helpful if your raves had a few more clues, a specific albergue name in a town, a name of the bar etc. ( nany comment generically about an albergue when there are actually 3 or 4 in town)

I know you all want to share such a great experiences, and after 35 towns, noting the name of that hole in the wall place is not on your mind, BUT IT IS SUCH A TEASE to not know the name of those dedtinations on my Csmino, to even be able to ask about it. Please?

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Hi, Nanc,
Here's a solution, only half in jest: forget the bookmarks and all our delirious recommendations and find your own favorites as the Camino reveals itself to you. This is actually a wonderful part of the journey that opens you to serendipity, chance, and that mysterious 'whatever' that is one of the biggest most joyful gifts of the Camino. Following other people's favs becomes an ant trail--devoid of creativity or spontaneity.
Lest you think I'm dismissing your very normal desire to have an enjoyable journey based on good advice (which admittedly we all offer most freely;))--here's why I suggest you 'wing it:' Once upon a time I made extensive lists gleaned from here and elsewhere of 'the bests' (fill in the blank--vegetarian restaurants, albergues, and so on). And when I arrived someplace I'd check that list and make a beeline to whatever establishments others had recommended. But not only did I often end up passing up really good places in favor of others that were either closed or not that great, but I also began to feel stifled by it all..somehow I was looking for a Camino that didn't really exist except in other people's opinions. And some of the most magical 'finds' were the ones nobody had said a peep about.

So now I'm a LOT happier just keeping my eyes open and (sometimes literally) following my nose.
But don't take my word for it--see for yourself!
Buen Camino...and happy exploring!

What might be a good place for others might not fit your requirements. As @Viranani has said be open minded and seek out your own place. I found nit really exciting entering a town and not know what to expect, more fun that way. I always tended to go off the beaten track and find the places that the locals use and surprise surprise had some wonderful food, drink and excellent company.
Wing it, it's more fun.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I know you all want to share such a great experiences, and after 35 towns, noting the name of that hole in the wall place is not on your mind, BUT IT IS SUCH A TEASE to not know the name of those dedtinations on my Csmino, to even be able to ask about it. Please?
I have never really bothered considering that I would simply follow someone else's recommendation about what was a good place to eat, drink or sleep. It is nice to know that others have had a pleasant experience in one town or another, but I am just as happy to take the chance where there are options. So far the good experiences far outweigh the less pleasant ones.

It happens that as we are not walking with the purpose of writing guides, we don' t take neat an systematic notes. Sometimes it is a pity -I have been trying to remember an albergue (actually a farm) in Saint Just Ibarre that does not appear in guides.
I suppose that you are well aware that there is not such a thing a "perfect pilgrimage". In the practice, you will have to improvise a lot, with assorted results. Sometimes, you just go with the flow of your new Camino friends, the recommendation of hospitaleros, or you will be so tired that the best restaurant is the one closer to you.
Anyway, planning is always a lot of fun.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
@Nanc -- I diligently collected lots of information from various posts before leaving, but found I didn't use any of it. It's just too hard/time-consuming to hunt down those restaurants, bars, etc., even if you end up in that location. The only exception is the list of "Favorite Albergues" in the Resources section. I did refer to that, along with information in the apps I had downloaded to my tablet, to help decide on an albergue for the night. I found that a little care in that decision made a difference in the quality of the experience. I didn't book ahead, though, except for the last few days, so I was careful not to fret too much about where I ended up.

ok ok i get it
overthinking is a character flaw, but I do have a chef brother who finds wonderful hole-in-the-wall places to eat that I wouldn't look at, let alone know how to find.
I do get what you're saying: that to search out someone else's experience, may leave me blind to my own serendipitous moment.

People have shared of so so food and meals, so when someone raves, the idea that i could look forward to a treat was temping.
Seabird, your post was the most helpful as it taught me that your experience of thinking to do the same type of thing just wasn't as rewarding
Nuff said thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow
See, pack list settled, training hikes just fun, so my mind wanders making up things to think about!
nanc

ok ok i get it
overthinking is a character flaw, but I do have a chef brother who finds wonderful hole-in-the-wall places to eat that I wouldn't look at, let alone know how to find.
I do get what you're saying: that to search out someone else's experience, may leave me blind to my own serendipitous moment.

People have shared of so so food and meals, so when someone raves, the idea that i could look forward to a treat was temping.
Seabird, your post was the most helpful as it taught me that your experience of thinking to do the same type of thing just wasn't as rewarding
Nuff said thanks for keeping me on the straight and narrow
See, pack list settled, training hikes just fun, so my mind wanders making up things to think about!
nanc

I don't think it's a flaw at all. It just shows that you are a metriculous person with an analytical mind and has great passion doing what you do. Put to good use, it can be beneficial.

Your list will just be a reference and it's okay to share them. Some may choose to take it and if not, they are free to ignore. Nevertheless, do not stop yourself from exploring your gifts. Always enjoy doing what you do. Have fun!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well, it sounds like we have a similar approach to things and like to be well planned. Nothing wrong with that! And every time you hear someone talk about some amazing restaurant/albergue/church, etc. they saw, just remember the amazing places YOU saw that they didn't. The ones we miss are yet one more reason to go back!

Buen Camino to you, and enjoy!

That's an excellent summary. On the camino, you will be surprised to find that you quickly lose track of what day it is, and what town you stayed in last night, let alone any further detail. It is highly unlikely that your own notes taken en route will be as complete as you might hope!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
If good food is what you are after, I'm afraid that no matter what research you do you might be disppointed. Now, if good company is what you want, just follow the crowds of pilgrims.

After all, most places where you will be spending the night are not Gastronomic destinations. (Have yet to see the post someone wanted to create last year with stars flr this and that...). And even the Michelin mentioned restaurants (not starred ones mind you) are just middle of the road.

And the locals may not have the reflex to send you to a placw that may be too expensive for them. But what not ask them for where they would eat with their family, instead of where a pilgrim meal is offered.

In the end your feet will dictate where you will eat: if they hurt you will love spaghetti in canned red sauce trying to lass for tomato sauce. Of they don't and you happen to be in a lagish town that may have options, walk around, look at menus, see where the locals are and pop in.

When it Pontevedra I had a few places researched, but noone would come with me due to budget, and even the tourist office person thought I was nuts to want to eat there. Ended up having, once again, crappy food, really crappy, on a beautiful plaza in even better company.

Most read last week in this forum

Greetings all. I was scheduled to start in Porto in a few days. Went for a 20 km hike yesterday (my longest thus far) and almost didn’t make it. By the time I got home, I could hardly walk...
I have a confession. I am terrified of - and yes now feel free to laugh - the top bed in bunks with no railing/fence (something to stop you falling out). I've managed to get away with it except...
This is the latest fad for Camino stay out of the wind and woods 🤗.
What are your favorite restaurants, bars, hotels, inns, etc on the Camino Frances NOT in albergues please? Gracias.
Yes, pardon me. So I've just read this cool article about the closing of the Puerta del Perdón in the Monastery of Santo Toribio for the holy year (and it is a very beautiful peurta for sure). It...
We just returned home from watching our second total solar eclipse here in the U.S. in 7 years. Our next is in 20 years. We have become hooked on the magical, mystical, moving unique experience...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.