• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't walk the Camino, unless it's your Way

Spiritual Athlete

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances
The Camino community is overflowing with forum posts, articles, guidebooks and blogs that detail why and how one should walk the Camino de Santiago. Millions of pilgrims have had a positive, even enlightened, experience. These are valid perspectives worthy of consideration.

But not everyone should walk the Way. There are real reasons why you might consider doing something else with your valuable time and money.

Having completed the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre, this post is my personal opinion and perspective; it is not a judgement of other experiences. These thoughts are gross generalizations; nonetheless they provide an alternative viewpoint for discussion:
  • The Camino de Santiago is not so much a Spanish cultural experience, but rather a modern pilgrimage with other like-minded individuals. In its most basic form it is a packaged tour (albeit for walkers, not bus/coach riders) for over 250,000 people per year.
  • The Camino is a well-worn path, often made of hard concrete, along noisy roadways and through busy towns.
  • It is extremely crowded; you will share your personal journey with thousands along the Way.
  • The Camino Frances is not trek, a hike, or a backpacking excursion in the scenic wilderness. It is a long walk with often uninspiring landscapes. Perhaps this is a burden one must endure as a peregrino?
  • Relatively speaking, it is a safe way to have a comfortable, low risk, predefined adventure.
  • The Camino is a business. It is an important tourist destination that drives part of the economy in Northern Spain - pilgrim bars, souvenir shops, guidebooks, cheap hostels, and uninteresting food prepared in bulk (microwaved meals, frozen pizza, reheated pasta, soggy fries/chips, etc). Unless they are serving you, local Spaniards typically eat, drink and socialize elsewhere, away from the masses of pilgrims.
  • There is a rigorous daily schedule for peregrinos, that is out of sync with the traditional Spanish way of life. This creates more cultural segregation.
  • There are many social norms that pilgrims are expected to follow along the Way. If you violate these behavioral standards, you may be judged or criticized.
  • Iconic Camino landmarks (such as the Iron Cross) are teeming with tourists taking selfies, just like Notre Dame, the Acropolis or the Blue Mosque.
  • Don't use "The Way" as a guide. It's a fictional feature film, not a documentary. Better yet, don't even watch it.
  • Yes, there is a race for beds. Around 5-6am your fellow pilgrims will wakeup the entire albergue to pack their rucksacks and to rush to the next village to claim a bed. Find a way to compete, or sleep elsewhere.
  • The primary language along the Way is English, not Spanish.
  • Walking the traditional Camino is mostly a social experience, not an isolated, quiet or contemplative one. It is not a place to seek solitude, unless you leave the path, or you can be alone in a crowd.
  • Some compostela holders will advocate aggressively for their hard-earned experiences. For many it is a life defining experience. Be careful about challenging this group, unless you are willing to defend your own point-of-view.
  • There are many wonders along the Way. Seek and you shall find.
If these comments are disheartening, then get off the common path. Find another Way. Walk in the afternoon, in the evening. Sleep outside. Walk in the rain, in the mud. Go in the winter when everyone else is at home. Take a detour to where the local villagers are drinking, playing, sharing. Take a midday siesta, in a vineyard or an abandoned church. Prepare your own meals with locally available products. Shop with the Spaniards, not the tourists. Burn the guidebooks (blasphemy!). Speak Spanish. Go past the pilgrim bar that feels comfortable & safe (you will know it when you see it); instead go deeper into town. Walk another route. Or don't go at all. Find your own Way.

Happiness, contentment, gratitude, mindfulness, a sense of purpose and enlightenment can be found anywhere by anyone. Even on the Camino de Santiago, or not.

Life is a uniquely personal journey - to each their own path. If you are new to the Camino, please do your research and set your expectations accordingly.

What are your thoughts?

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
The Camino community is overflowing with forum posts, articles, guidebooks and blogs that detail why and how one should walk the Camino de Santiago. Millions of pilgrims have had a positive, even enlightened, experience. These are valid perspectives worthy of consideration.

But not everyone should walk the Way. There are real reasons why you might consider doing something else with your valuable time and money.

Having completed the Camino Frances from St Jean Pied de Port to Finisterre, this post is my personal opinion and perspective; it is not a judgement of other experiences. These thoughts are gross generalizations; nonetheless they provide an alternative viewpoint for discussion:
  • The Camino de Santiago is not so much a Spanish cultural experience, but rather a modern pilgrimage with other like-minded individuals. In its most basic form it is a packaged tour (albeit for walkers, not bus/coach riders) for over 250,000 people per year.
  • The Camino is a well-worn path, often made of hard concrete, along noisy roadways and through busy towns.
  • It is extremely crowded; you will share your personal journey with thousands along the Way.
  • The Camino Frances is not trek, a hike, or a backpacking excursion in the scenic wilderness. It is a long walk with often uninspiring landscapes. Perhaps this is a burden one must endure as a peregrino?
  • Relatively speaking, it is a safe way to have a comfortable, low risk, predefined adventure.
  • The Camino is a business. It is an important tourist destination that drives part of the economy in Northern Spain - pilgrim bars, souvenir shops, guidebooks, cheap hostels, and uninteresting food prepared in bulk (microwaved meals, frozen pizza, reheated pasta, soggy fries/chips, etc). Unless they are serving you, local Spaniards typically eat, drink and socialize elsewhere, away from the masses of pilgrims.
  • There is a rigorous daily schedule for peregrinos, that is out of sync with the traditional Spanish way of life. This creates more cultural segregation.
  • There are many social norms that pilgrims are expected to follow along the Way. If you violate these behavioral standards, you may be judged or criticized.
  • Iconic Camino landmarks (such as the Iron Cross) are teeming with tourists taking selfies, just like Notre Dame, the Acropolis or the Blue Mosque.
  • Don't use "The Way" as a guide. It's a fictional feature film, not a documentary. Better yet, don't even watch it.
  • Yes, there is a race for beds. Around 5-6am your fellow pilgrims will wakeup the entire albergue to pack their rucksacks and to rush to the next village to claim a bed. Find a way to compete, or sleep elsewhere.
  • Walking the traditional Camino is mostly a social experience, not an isolated, quiet or contemplative one. It is not a place to seek solitude, unless you leave the path, or you can be alone in a crowd.
  • Some compostela holders will advocate aggressively for their hard-earned experiences. For many it is a life defining experience. Be careful about challenging this group, unless you are willing to defend your own point-of-view.
If these comments are disheartening, then get off the common path. Find another Way. Walk in the afternoon, in the evening. Sleep outside. Walk in the rain, in the mud. Go in the winter when everyone else is at home. Take a detour to where the local villagers are drinking, playing, sharing. Take a midday siesta, in a vineyard or an abandoned church. Prepare your own meals with locally available products. Shop with the Spaniards, not the tourists. Burn the guidebooks (blasphemy!). Speak Spanish. Go past the pilgrim bar that feels comfortable & safe (you will know it when you see it); instead go deeper into town. Walk another route. Or don't go at all. Find your own Way.

Happiness, contentment, gratitude, mindfulness, a sense of purpose and enlightenment can be found anywhere by anyone. Even on the Camino de Santiago, or not.

Life is a uniquely personal journey - to each their own path. If you are new to the Camino, please do your research and set your expectations accordingly.

What are your thoughts?
Sorry, but they are absolutely not my thoughts. As Syates already stated it's a complete different Camino as I remember it.
Wish you well, Peter.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I walked in April 2012. I walked in the rain, in the mud, in sunshine, at all times of day other than night time, saw no race for beds, saw beautiful vistas, met wonderful inspiring people and the Camino experience ultimately changed me for the better (I hope).
I made lifetime friends and would do it all again in a heartbeat. I did not experience your Camino, but then I met many who did. It is a different experience for everyone.
Buen Camino.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Isn't it funny, I seem to be reading the OP completely differently :confused:
I didn't see it as a criticism at all but pinpointing it is not for everyone, if they seek something that IT is not.... And then he goes as far as highlighting what can be done, instead of complaining (ie shop and make your own meals, get out of the race etc...)
Small wonder there are such heated discussions sometimes...:(:rolleyes:

My thoughts are that when 250,000 people per year do any activity there will be such a variety of experiences approaches and opinions, and all of them may not be compatible with mine, but the very variety is wonderful. And I think over the 7500 kms or whatever all the routes encompass there is room for all the approaches experiences and opinions!

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Thank you for your post @Spiritual Athlete.

The problem with the content for me is that it overstates what I assume is its core aim, i.e. to disabuse prospective walkers of any romantic illusions about the experience of walking the Camino. Many people walk because it is a pilgrimage, which means that in the planning you might have some assumptions about your future experience, but once on the road you just accept whatever happens, the land you pass through, the people you meet and are grateful for the learning that all this enables. The overstatement of the negatives flies in the face of the content of many of the posts on this forum. People who are about to spend time and (in some cases) lots of money to travel to walk the Camino are not guileless and I don't think they need to be told that Emilio Estevan's film is a fiction. They seek advice, information and plan well ahead, so it is hard to see which section of our forum this post addresses. I have read posts from the loving, the generous, the curmudgeonly, the jokers, the equipment experts, the veterans who have years of Camino-walking under their belts, the anxious newbies, but never the naive. Usually by the time someone feels confident enough to post on the forum, possibly after 'lurking' for a while (as I did), they understand what they are getting themselves into and if not they ask.
Yes, I agree, spiritual experiences are not unique to the Camino, but I do believe that the spiritual experience offered by the Camino is unique for those whose walk is a pilgrimage. then it matters not what the environment is, how good or bad the food is or what standard the accommodation might be. But the Camino is very definitely NOT a business, although there is no doubt that many businesses owe their livelihood to its existence. The camino as pilgrimage is the coming together of an external and internal journey, offering the spiritual opportunity to unpick and renew aspects of ourselves in relation to our faith(s) and our fellow human beings as @ wayfarer mentions in his post.

I second @Rebekah Scott's post that you probably walked in the busiest part of the year. I walked in early Spring 2014 and spent hours on the Way with no one in front or behind me.

As someone who walked the Camino as a pilgrimage, I cannot comment on the experiences of those who walked for different motivations, but I met many along the journey who didn't start as pilgrims but arrived in SdC embracing that identity.

Great post. Much needed reality check especially for those who have not walked the frances before.

It's a much more positive and polite version of the infamous blog post '10 reasons why the Camino stinks'.

When expectations are low, then everything that exceeds them are a pleasant surprise and a blessing. When expectations are high, then reality is a disappointment.

Of the people that I've met who start early I haven't met one who said that they do so because they are afraid that they won't get a bed. Many just enjoy walking early, or as I did occasionally to beat the heat. Personally, I don't like to walk past 2:00 or 3:00 at the latest because I like to have time to shower and wash my clothes before it's late afternoon, so that I can spend time relaxing.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Just to clarify, I did not intend my post to be critical of the OP. I happen to agree with a lot if not most of he says. I was giving my thoughts based on my experience. I did meet many who said that they did not enjoy the experience and would never repeat it. I, on the other hand, would do it every year if I could.

I must admit, half way through our first Camino we promised ourselves we would never walk another Camino for a lot of the reasons 'Spiritual Athlete' quoted above. But by the time we walked into Muxia, we knew we would be back. Next April we go back for our fourth Camino, the second on the Frances. There is just something about the Camino Frances that we can't seem to shake.

My thought -- I had a wonderful experience walking the Camino -- it was perfect for my level of spirituality and physical fitness. You can see here who I am -- a 70 year old American woman who has walked the Camino once. I found the people wonderful, both the Spanish people along the way and the other pilgrims. I don't think it is for everyone, but would recommend it to others who have the time and interest. There is a lot of information out there on how people can avoid busy times and crowds. I have already posted on my experiences elsewhere, but what crosses my mind, Spiritual Traveler, is why not share information about your Camino and what happened to you personally. That might be more helpful than generalized advice from an unknown source.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-

What are your thoughts?
Thanks for your post Spiritual Athlete, sometimes it's good to hear an ' edgier' perspective. Would you do it again ? Enjoy the journey whatever is next.

What are your thoughts?
Dear spiritual athlete,
Sorry you did not enjoy your experience.
I trust you will not be walking the Francis again!
If people have too many "expectations" of what the Camino will be for them,then they will probably (mostly) be disappointed.
We have always walked in high season and never had a problem with beds because after the first Camino we have usually stayed in pensions.
We start walking before 6 am simply to beat the heat and in order to have frequent stops(helps to prevent blisters and exhaustion)
Also to enjoy the early morning sun rising and the scenery.and then rest from about 2pm.
At nearly 800km long we could not and would not expect wonderful scenery and we are happy with or without crowds.
The Camino is what it is and of course "one size does not fit all" so it will not suit everyone.
Even with the good and the bad of the Camino, we yearn to get going on it again
There are many Caminos to Santiago
Why not try another one?
You may be pleasantly surprised
Best wishes Annette

What are your thoughts?

The last two paragraphs are true .... The rest is probably irrelevant ( no disrespect intended) ...And it is all relative .... I myself am at present just before Pamplona .... I am in my bliss place and have not been there for a long time .... I have already met great people .... And also walked totally alone today for 6 hours which was also beautiful .....
Each to their own .... One cannot live another persons life NOR walk another persons Camino .... I respect everyone I meet as I walk .... I am grateful to be part of the " human tide " walking to .... Who knows where really .... This is greater than US

Sorry . Feeling reflective

Last edited:
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Isn't it funny, I seem to be reading the OP completely differently :confused:
I didn't see it as a criticism at all but pinpointing it is not for everyone, if they seek something that IT is not.... And then he goes as far as highlighting what can be done, instead of complaining (ie shop and make your own meals, get out of the race etc...)
Small wonder there are such heated discussions sometimes...:(:rolleyes:
That's exactly how I read the post as well though I did have to reread it to be sure :confused:

@Spiritual Athlete - very interesting moniker... would love to know the story behind that choice! and your profile comment is Breathe well, after such a bold and brave first post, I hope that you still are :p

I'm with @William Marques and hope you stay and continue to contribute. Will make for some lively discussions!

To me, the title of your post says it all - Don't Walk the Camino unless it's your Way. The Camino was here before us and will continue long after we are gone. We can prepare as best we can and then accept what unfolds for us. All we take from it is our own unique experience of it at a particular snapshot in time. That is our Camino, our Way...

My first thought reading this was "what great timing, I hope he tagged it so it's easy to find." I was worried of late when a few new members posted their concerns about the Camino and we all extolled the virtues we saw (which are many, and I think I was one of those who posted). But even as I wrote, I worried 'do these new members realize they are not polling an unbiased group? How many who hated the Camino never came back to say why?' I vaguely recall someone posting they had left theirs early (years ago) because their shyness would not let them break into a group--one of the reasons I would never insist pilgrims shouldn't use tour groups. I have a painfully shy friend, one of the most gentle giving souls who ever lived, full of wonderful life stories and humor...and I have no doubt that if she walked alone, even on the CF--or perhaps especially--she would cry herself to sleep out of loneliness each night. She should walk with friends, or a tour group. Crowds and unexpected loud noises put me on edge...I came and went from the Frances as I could stand it. I've spent my life carrying a load on my back and walking or running long distances--the Primitivo is a match made in heaven.
Back to fair and balanced reporting. Of course this is a place where we come to say how much we loved it, how fun it is, etc., and negative report might be found elsewhere on the internet. I haven't done a search, but when I was planning one blog came up that listed many reasons why he did not appreciate the journey. Some valid, and some a little petty, like complaining that because he didn't get his credential stamped on the way to Finisiterre, they wouldn't let him stay in the albergue. edit: but I think there are few posts about why the Camino was not fun, and until it is on Yelp, honest posts like this one from Spiritual Athlete gives the other viewpoint new members need to see end edit. The Camino is not for everyone, it was for me and most likely for anyone reading this. But we should carefully research what each of the routes is like, and it takes a little effort from us once we are on the road to experience Spain if that is the goal of our walk. Some of my best encounters with non-English speaking Spaniards was actually on the CF--wow, what a chance to practice those darn rolled r's. And I'm sure they laughed for weeks. If all you do is race from town to village, barely letting the ink dry on your credential before shoving off--then you do miss a lot of what Spain has to offer. I saw a beautiful country filled with warm, friendly people, amazing art and history, breath-taking churches, and for the most part well behaved pilgrims each looking for something different (and thankfully most find it).

Last edited:
I do not believe the OP did not enjoy his experience, he is simply explaining what the Frances is like these days, I would guess from May to October.

In fact I find his post very rich because he points out concrete ways to counter what the Frances has become: take the detour, eat in places not designed for tourists, speak to the local people. Nothing wrong with that, actually quite the contrary.

I think it is also a good post for those who are anxious about the route to the point on considering paying a huge premium just to have another person make a phone call to book a bed and arrange for luggage transport. And he is right, the Camino really comes very close to being a packaged tour as there are limited option of where to go (follow the arrows), where to sleep and eat (few places on the Camino offer a large number of options, if you stay on the beaten path). Isn't that what a prepackaged tour does! Takes the planning and thinking out of travel! Not much planning or reasearch to do on a Camino: just walk.

Kuddos also for noticing our schedules are out of sync with local daily life: this explains why we keep passing through villages, aldeas, that are completely silent: people jumped in their car in the morning to get to work.

What I am happy to not have experienced in the soggy pizza, leftover pasta and microwavable meals. Yuck! Has it really gotten that bad? I'll stick with my ensalada mixta and freshly squeezed orange juice thank you.

As for the bed race, of course you will not have experienced it if you check in at 1 or 2 pm, when the doors open, but if you stop so early in the day you are really not walking a lot. I have been amazed on the Norte and Primitivo to see people walk 12 hours a day. If one has to stop walking so early in the day to get a bed ... then there is a bed race, and you are racing it.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Given that most of the people on this forum are "Camino addicts" like me, it's not surprising that these posts are few and far between (after all, why would you waste your time talking about something you didn't enjoy?) But when they happen, the inevitable tendency is to start attacking the OP, and I'm glad that some of that has been deleted.

Many if not most of those who walk the Camino Francés today would not have walked it (or if they did would not have enjoyed it) back in the pre-massification days. No baggage transport, no private albergues (your choice was a hotel/pensión (sometimes) or the albergue in town), no coffee shops open at 6 for the camino traffic, no restaurants open at 8 for pilgrims, one or two guidebooks with varying levels of accuracy. So I think that for us to criticize someone who did not enjoy all these amenities and did not enjoy all the crowds is not fair.

The Camino as it is today responds to the market, and the market demands amenities, and amenities bring crowds. But that doesn't mean we should beat up those people who found that to be inconsistent with what they thought they were getting into (and for those, I would say, try the Levante, the Olvidado, the Mozárabe, the Lana, the Ebro, the Invierno, etc etc the list goes on and on). Buen camino, Laurie

All of the above is an apt discussion of why I walk my Caminos to get off the Camino routes before the schools let out in June, and will not walk in the autumn until the schools are back in session. This is also when traditional, European vacations / holidays are taken. I much prefer serving as a volunteer over the warmer summer months.

To each his or her own. But "hip season" walking, combined with stationary work as a volunteer, in the hot, sunny, dry middle months works best for me.

Kuddos also for noticing our schedules are out of sync with local daily life: this explains why we keep passing through villages, aldeas, that are completely silent: people jumped in their car in the morning to get to work.
I the found the out-of-sync most problematic for eating [edit though after a few days I figured that issue out]...I did run into a lot of Spaniards as I walked through cities in the morning...all out walking their dogs (and thank goodness, or I'd still be in Santander trying to find my way outo_O).

€46,-
I really do not think it matters why we think we are on the Camino .....
The fact is The Camino has its own plan for each of us ...
I am not religious ...
I have only been on the Camino for four days so far ..... BUT I have no doubt the Camino is working some magic on me ...
I did not come here to find anything nor fix anything ..... I just came .... Don't ask me why .... I don't know ! ... AND I don't need to know ...
I am already experiencing Camino magic .... In many ways and on many levels ...

We just need to chill out , switch off and the Camino will do the rest REGARDLESS of why we think we are here :)

Anne
ULTREIA .... And I totally get that word NOW :)!!!!

What are your thoughts?

I enjoyed reading your post and I found several of your comments worthwhile. The Camino has been around for a very long time and I think it will continue to be around for an even longer time if this old world continues to be. There have been periods of extreme Camino activity and periods of time where very few pilgrims walked. People remember and people forget or find other things to occupy their interests. In a real sense it is cyclical and will always be so.
We live in a time when the Camino captures a lot of people's attention and interest. It is without doubt that even today we each can feel alone in a crowd; most of us achieve that feeling daily. I still think that we can be as alone as we choose on Camino regardless of those around us. However, there is a need to provide an accurate picture of what the Camino is and what it is not and you have assisted in doing just that; thank you.
The Camino is what it is and it has never been anything different. The point is that it is individuals who create their own descriptions of their Camino and each is valid. There is everything from extreme joy to almost infinite sorrow and pain in these very personal descriptions. They run the entire gamut of human emotion. What is clear to me is that it is personal; we each find what we look for; what we prepare for; what we need; or, at least, what we allow ourselves to experience.
The Camino is not a ready made, canned experience. If an individual senses the Camino's call they may or may not respond. The moment one's heart responds to her call, that person's Camino has begun even if it takes years before they take their first step onto the Way itself.
In closing, I strongly support that the best way to experience the Spanish people is on a personal level, face-to-face. If a pilgrim's objective on Camino is to get to know the Spanish people then they must, as you say, pass by the pilgrim bar and pursue environments and locations where the Spanish themselves eat and pass the evening. However, this objective is not universal among pilgrims. A pilgrimage can be rather focused in its objectives. More importantly, it is the pilgrim that must decide what they want on Camino.
Best of luck on your journey and I look forward to reading more of your thoughts.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
It is important in order to continue this conversation that remarks and opinions are directed at the content of the original post....not the poster.
Please do not post personal remarks toward other members.

Some posts in violation of this simple policy have been delected in this thread.

To clarify (in case I was misunderstood)--I did not think (nor say) the OP did not enjoy his Camino...he lists negatives he perceived, and ways around. I am very glad he was brave enough to post. I wanted to emphasize that the basic tone of any thread here is positives we perceive...and my hopes that new members take everything said with a grain of salt and research. I do lament that we can really never know how many did not like their Camino (I have only seen one comment on one thread, the shy pilgrim) and one blog on the internet...but I suspect there are more and I would hate for new pilgrims-to-be to come away from our forum expecting that the Camino will be all 'bunnies and butterflies' (as my twin complains my outlook to be--fraternal twin).
the social psychologist in me is already imagining questionnaires handed out at every step with a cohort selected ...and of course, I'd have to walk with them, to hand out and collect :)...off to solicit funding

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Very Rich post... I won't say anything else as I don't want this to be seen in a negative way again ( it isnt!)

It's just that... Considering a summer Camino Frances, those points are indeed quite valid...

And yes, IMHO "The Way" is a "just OK" movie that does not reflect reality at all...

We just have to remind there are many other Caminos to walk... and also low seasons!

;)

Strange, inspired morning for me. It started with reading Kabir, then seeing Spiritual Athlete's post and then realizing the two have something in common:

The Hearse
The spiritual athlete often changes the color of his clothes, and his mind remains gray and loveless.
He sits inside a shrine room all day, so that the Guest has to go outdoors and praise the rocks.
Or he drills holes in his ears, his beard grows enormous and matted,
People mistake him for a goat….
He goes out in wilderness areas, strangles his impulses, and makes himself neither male nor female….
He shaves his skull, puts his robe in an orange vat, reads the Bhagavad-Gita, and becomes a terrific talker.
Kabir says: Actually you are going in a hearse to the country of death, bound hand and foot!

Kabir, The Hearse, translated by Robert Bly, The Soul is Here for Its Own Joy, The Ecco Press, 1995, p. 82

God, I love the Camino. Now I get to spend the rest of the morning wondering why the spirits brought the poem and the pilgrim together.

And to be clear - Great post Spiritual Athlete! If you've done anything, you've made me think. And appreciate walking the VdlP even more.

Well, I do not know whether a body knows whether it is “their” Way to walk until immersed in the experience for a period of time.

Yes, there are “negatives” – to which Rumi responds “If you are irritated by every rub, how will you be polished?

The walk is deeply personal and it can only give one lessons and insights that they are willing to accept.

Have good boots and no expectations. A light pack helps but an open mind and spirit of gratitude is even better. This last frees one from the darker side of Confucius’s maxim “No matter where you go, there you are.” (Though Buckaroo Banzai is widely credited for this bon mot, it is an error.)

B

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.

What are your thoughts?
I enjoyed reading this we are sitting in a bar talking about what you've written which is interesting and another view of the Camino. We realised today that only a very small proportion of the walkers here have heard of this forum and are all walking their own Camino without reference to anyone else. I think you're right re the guide books nearly EVERYONE has the Brierley book it's treated as the Bible... I didn't know about it before arriving. We're just following a map and using an app- avid muddling along slowly - that's our Camino. At this point 20 days along we're about to give up on the Albergues- various reasons but I need my own room for a bit and a decent sleep every night....thank you for sharing your thoughts.

I am glad to see this post here. Not because I agree with all or even most of the OP's points but because I feel strongly that we should be free to express contrarian and "unorthodox" views here provided we do so with respect and without rancour.

On the whole I probably lean towards the OP's perspective. I am in an albergue in Cizur Menor tonight having just begun my third Camino Frances. I think I am unusual amongst members on this forum in that my personal experience of the Camino Frances spans more than 25 years. On my first walk in 1990 6 pilgrims slept overnight in the Roncesvalles albergue one July night. On at least 1/3 of my nights I slept alone in refugios. On most days I saw no other pilgrims at all between refugees. The "menu peregrino" did not exist. Refugees might be 25km+ apart. Some had no beds - only concrete floors to sleep on. In practice the Camino barely impacted on the towns and villages it passed through - little more than a few yellow arrows. A very different situation from today. I am walking the Camino Frances now precisely because I know it has changed enormously. I am in far more than two minds on how I feel about the difference. I am in the very early stages of my walk. Too soon to judge. What I can and do recognise is the joy and the enthusiasm of my oh-so-many and varied fellow pilgrims. What conclusions I draw from my journey will have to wait.

I really never experienced anything really negative on our walk in March and April 2016. I did my research ahead. We expected the snow, ice, sleet, hail and fog and we weren't disappointed. We saw the sun for about 6 days. We chose this time of year because I don't do crowds well and I definitely don't heat well. There was plenty of beds and food available and really friendly people walking for various reasons. Some just for the walk-a-bout, others for spiritual reasons. We met Christians, Jews, Muslims and several Buddhists. There were several agnostics, a couple of atheist and Wiccans. Each had their reasons for walking. Our walk was great and the next is being planned for November-December 2017. Probably the Norte next time.

Ultreia
Buen Camino

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
A reminder; please comment on the post and not the poster.

Personal comments will be deleted or edited.

I see no offence or inflammatory comments in @Spiritual Athlete 's post. It raises some valuable points for discussion and it is a pity if the thread has to be closed because members cannot refrain from getting personal.

My experiences on the CF have been overwhelmingly positive, but I still think many of the OP's comments are valid.

Hi everyone, thank you for contributing to the dialogue. My intent is to create an honest, open and respectful conversation about the merits of the Camino. As an outsider or newcomer to the Camino community, it is very challenging to find alternative perspectives. Often they are suppressed.

To answer questions posed so far:

I chose an anonymous account because my personal details (real name, age, location, ethnicity, etc) are irrelevant to the content of the discussion. My username & profile provide contextual clues. I find particular inspiration in the Lung Gom Pa of ancient Tibet and Marathon Monks of Mt. Hiei, Japan. Read this article if you are interested: http://www.trailrunnermag.com/people/culture/article/81-the-lung-gom-pa-runners-of-old-tibet

Please comment here in public, not in private messages. I will participate in a general manner on the thread.

I completed the Camino Frances (SJPdP to Finisterre) in May several years ago.

No, I will not complete a Camino again. It is not my path; I am pursuing another Way through life. With that said, I understand and deeply appreciate why others choose to walk a Camino over and over again.

I have participated previously on the forum. I return reluctantly. Despite being a strong willed, thick-skinned, extroverted (and yes, opinionated) individual, it was difficult even for me to contribute. I have been judged personally and criticized harshly by some for not having a ‘traditional’ view of the Camino. I welcome intense debate on my thoughts. Respectfully, please don’t call me a troll.

Thank you to the Moderators for encouraging civil debate on the ideas and content, not on me as an individual. I hope you can keep the thread open.

This forum should be a safe place for everyone interested in a Camino. It is an important site where ‘newbies’ research what is often a big life decision. I greatly admire everyone’s personal journeys, individual experiences and views. Please continue our conversation so that others may feel welcome.

With a generous heart and open mind,

Mahalo & Namaste

Thank you for continuing this conversation - and for challenging and stretching us in such a very different direction.

In another recent thread the question was asked about whether the Camino was a beautiful walk through unspoiled countryside as the person didn't want to spend her time and money only to be disappointed.

My own experience has been that Life offers no guarantees and definitely no payout on expectation. It can also ambush you in totally unexpected Ways.

My primary reason for venturing into the Camino was to help an old friend achieve a lifelong dream and she did. My only preconceived idea of the Camino was that I was going for a long walk across rural Spain. It became - and remains - one of my most remarkable experiences for a myriad of reasons both known and yet to be fathomed...

Yes, there are many perceived negatives around the Camino but who is to judge how this will affect someone. I went for a simple walk and had an incredible journey and there are many labels which I could put on my experiences... my Life is my Way and I have found moments of enlightenment in the busiest and most commercial 'touristy' places.

I heard of the runners of Tibet while sitting in the gutter drinking chang with an old ragged lady with piercing blue eyes. They were part of the folklore.

The Spiritual Athlete's Path to Enlightenment
Holly A. Schmid
Ultra Marathon Running
December 11, 1996
"The Zen of Running" is a book written by Fred Rohe which states, "Whatever you do with your running, you only cheat yourself by pushing, pressing, competing. There are no standards and no possible victories except the joy you are living while dancing your run." This statement is a perfect way to describe the lung- gom-pa runners of Tibet and the Marathon Monks of Mount Hiei. They do not run to simply be quick or to win. They are in a way dancing when they run. They are to totally focus on running and let the running take them away. Their trance-like movements show that they are completely focusing and are at peace. Rohe goes on to say that "our spirit is not separate from our body anymore than the water is separate from the stream. The water is the stream." This has to do with the fact that running is dancing. Their spirit is with the runners when they are moving.

The OP, and many subsequent posters here, appear to conflate the Camino Francés with the Camino de Santiago. They are not the same thing. There are many many caminos to Santiago, and most of them have no similarity whatsoever with the points the OP made. Last year I walked from the Mediterranean estuary of the Ebro to Burgos on three different caminos (Ebro, Castellano-Aragonés and Lana). I didn't see a single other pilgrim until Burgos, and I heard no English at all en route, to take just two points in the OP. I've barely scratched the surface so far, but I think I must have clocked up 3-4000 different km on my caminos to Santiago (Plata, Sureste/Levante, Norte, Mar, Inglés etc), leaving the 800km of the Francés for others.

The Francés clearly appeals to many people, and a substantial majority of pilgrims, but Spain's a big country and there are lots of other ways of doing the Way.

Good series of points. We are heading out in 2 weeks. The walk will be what we make of it. Thanks for your perspective

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
You are way ahead of yourselves guys. His comment is right on. Return from dreamland boys n girls. I'm in san martin del camino 25km out of leon. The lanscape is sometimes beautiful, but km for km is mostly uninspiring...unless you find inspiring what i find repetitively mediocre at best.
There is a bedrush. Period
Eat where locals do. I never see spanish people eating the menu del peregrino. How's that?
I lived 2 years in Spain. I know how to move. The camino is great business. No doubt abt it.
IT IS ALSO MUCH MORE. Up to you to find that "more".
But, fundamentally, he has pinpointed with great accuracy a certain reality that most will face.

The walk will be what we make of it.

IMHO this is the 'right' attitude. The Camino, as with much in life, will throw up experiences, and it is not the experience per se that is the issue, but our reaction to it.

Here is wishing you a great time - or as you will undoubtedly be shortly hearing many time, "Buen Camino".

I am glad to see this post here. Not because I agree with all or even most of the OP's points but because I feel strongly that we should be free to express contrarian and "unorthodox" views here provided we do so with respect and without rancour.

On the whole I probably lean towards the OP's perspective. I am in an albergue in Cizur Menor tonight having just begun my third Camino Frances. I think I am unusual amongst members on this forum in that my personal experience of the Camino Frances spans more than 25 years. On my first walk in 1990 6 pilgrims slept overnight in the Roncesvalles albergue one July night. On at least 1/3 of my nights I slept alone in refugios. On most days I saw no other pilgrims at all between refugees. The "menu peregrino" did not exist. Refugees might be 25km+ apart. Some had no beds - only concrete floors to sleep on. In practice the Camino barely impacted on the towns and villages it passed through - little more than a few yellow arrows. A very different situation from today. I am walking the Camino Frances now precisely because I know it has changed enormously. I am in far more than two minds on how I feel about the difference. I am in the very early stages of my walk. Too soon to judge. What I can and do recognise is the joy and the enthusiasm of my oh-so-many and varied fellow pilgrims. What conclusions I draw from my journey will have to wait.
I'm fascinated by the History of the Camino so thank you for sharing your experiences over the years. Has the Frances way become a bit Costa del Camino? In other words it had its heyday many years ago? This is my first and last Camino on this route and I'm not hugely impressed ... I'm currently in Burgos on a rest day trying to work out how to change the manner of my doing this.... it's not an easy task

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Can I suggest that anyone who finds the pilgrim's menu unsatisfactory, just choose from the general menu. Although some pilgrim's menus are excellent quality and value, I don't often want to eat that much food or so many carbs. Just choose a meal that suits your taste and perhaps finish up with some shop bought fruit. Much healthier and often cheaper.

I walked the CF as my first Camino and loved the experience. It was busy occasionally but there was never a competition for beds in April/May four years ago. It was the best place to introduce myself to the Camino and I learned a huge amount about it and about myself. It gave me the confidence to walk three other less travelled routes where I might not see another (walking) soul for days on end, through amazingly beautiful scenery. I think this year is exceptionally busy because of the 'year of mercy'. If you plan to avoid the busier periods you will be able to avoid the crowds.

I have no particular desire to walk the Camino Frances again, but I am so grateful to it for opening up such wonderful walking opportunities to me.

"""If you are new to the Camino, please do your research and set your expectations accordingly."""

OR better still don't have any expectations at all :)
Good post ! I did Camino last Sept. with no expectations and only to experience this journey thru northern Spain . Spiritual Athlete has some constructive remarks but I don't agree with some negative reflections , but that's all they are . I never considered the " business " perspective however and still don't. My emotions did take over upon entering Santiago which surprised me and showed the effect of the Camino . Still I dream of this walk and don't dwell on the negatives .
Get on to Santiago Annie and keep it together .

Boston Strong

What are your thoughts?

Wow! I walked the entire Camino Frances in August 2015.

I think we walk 2 different Caminos! Some of what you say, I can relate too , but much I can't.

I used my Spanish daily. I also spoke English but I got so good practising my language skills

I found such beauty is the simple plants and flowers along the way. I took my time, stopped and reflected. I passed and was passed by many pilgrims whom all had their own rules, regulations, and their own thoughts of ways of walking the Camino. I chose not to care.

Some pilgrim masses were beautiful experiences and others were not. I was glad to experience both .

Some days I walked 15 Km and some days 30 Km. I did it MY way.

Some towns were like a tourist business, others were not. Even the extra pilgrims who did bus tours or joined in at Sarria, never bothered me.

I met strangers who became life long friends

Sometimes being a pilgrim got in my nerves. I let those feelings go as the experience itself was just so amazing.

I like this part of what you wrote;

"Happiness, contentment, gratitude, mindfulness, a sense of purpose and enlightenment can be found anywhere by anyone. Even on the Camino de Santiago, or not.

Life is a uniquely personal journey - to each their own path. If you are new to the Camino, please do your research and set your expectations accordingly."

I believe research is key prior to doing the Camino. I set NO expectations for my Camino. I just let the experience happen. Therefore I had no disappointments.

We each experience different things along The Way. I am sorry yours was not as great as you had hoped. I can't wait to do it again

Buen Camino

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'm fascinated by the History of the Camino so thank you for sharing your experiences over the years. Has the Frances way become a bit Costa del Camino? In other words it had its heyday many years ago? This is my first and last Camino on this route and I'm not hugely impressed ... I'm currently in Burgos on a rest day trying to work out how to change the manner of my doing this.... it's not an easy task
Dear Bonita Holland,I may completely wrong,but it sounds to me that you may be exhausted since you have already mentioned the lack of sleep in the albergues??
If you do decide to keep walking,then why not just keep to the private room,hotel or pension option?
Do you have the Miam Miam Do Do book? It lists all accommodation on the Francis. It's a French publication
You may be able to purchase it in Burgos-- it's invaluable.
Whilst I would not wish to overstep the mark and please inform me if I am--- it's re your walking and talking posts that I noticed
There seems to be a lot of "heavy conversations" there.
This can be exhausting and perhaps you need some quiet time--eg walking ahead of your companion and meeting at designated spots such as cafes?? Maybe listening to some music if you have an I pod?
The next section on the Meseta IMHO is beautiful scenic part of the Camino and an opportunity for some contemplation.
Saying this, I am a dreadful chatterbox with or without the I pod but we do keep a balance re this mainly because he can walk faster than me and can escape the din for want of a better word!
Please let us know what you do decide and best wishes to you Annette

I guess I have to chime in a bit on this one. Every point that he makes is spot on at some time during a Camino walk. The potential pilgrim should be aware and ready for all of this. That said, it may account for only 5% of your experience. Yep, I was on some segments where it was a bit crowded. I was on others where I saw no one for hours. That's the fun about the whole experience. It varies and yet it doesn't. Be aware of all the shortcomings and thanks to the author for bringing those up. I suspect that there are a lot of rose colored glasses out there that believe in a more mystical experience. It's much more of a reality show (and I don't mean that in any derogatory sense). I can't wait till I walk it again a year or two.

Hi John Sikora, thank you for you post. Much to agree with but, yes, I am one of those people who believe in the possibility of a mystical/spiritual/call-it-what-you-will experience while walking the Camino (as pilgrimage) and no, I am not looking through any rose-coloured glasses. I may be a superannuated hippie, but I never gave up the day job, wasn't a fan of mind-expanding chemicals, and I'm much too long-lived for naïve wish-fulfilment fantasies. But whether we like it or not, when the mind clears after days of walking, and the heart opens, because our everyday security blankets have been relinquished, 'stuff sometimes happens', some of which is just hard to explain but it usually has a good outcome. As you are walking the Camino again in a year or two, there must be something about the experience that is special for you.

After having walked many solitary Caminos (Vía de la Plata, el Levante, Camí Sant Jaume, el Aragonés and el Mozárabe from Granada where I walked 16 days completely alone) I am back on the Francés and you know what? I see and feel again why that first experience turned me into a Camino "addict".

Are there many walking? Yes. Overwhelming while walking? No. Possible to experience Spain and the Spanish? Absolutely!

It is all there whether you are alone on the Levante or amongst a crowd on the Francés. It is all about one's prospective, attitude and choices (and don't forget expectations). Just stop. Slow down. Sit at a local bar, buy cheese and freshly baked bread and sit in a park. Go to a local market and take in local daily activities.

Many of the OP's comments are true but many of us have seen another side of the Camino. That's why we keep coming back.

What are your thoughts?

:-D This made me laugh! :-D
Must say I feel a bit sorry for you though. It does sound like you tourtured yourself and still you walked the whole way!
I agree with a lot what you are saying, but I still enjoyed it. I had planned to walk more on my in the afternoon but as it was 39 degrees I just had to start at 6 like anyone else. That was a bit sad. And sometimes I just had to get a less crowded place to sleep to get some solitude.
I was very surprised to find that it was so packed with people all the way from SJPP. The camino is not a physical adventure. Always company and easy walking.
But it is a practice in not getting what you want. You just have to make do with what there is. For me, who like to eat healthy, it is challenge. Croissants and bread and still be happy. Walking along busy roads for hours and still be happy. Being content with nothing. That is what the camino is for me. And I like it.

Last edited:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Dear Bonita Holland,I may completely wrong,but it sounds to me that you may be exhausted since you have already mentioned the lack of sleep in the albergues??
If you do decide to keep walking,then why not just keep to the private room,hotel or pension option?
Do you have the Miam Miam Do Do book? It lists all accommodation on the Francis. It's a French publication
You may be able to purchase it in Burgos-- it's invaluable.
Whilst I would not wish to overstep the mark and please inform me if I am--- it's re your walking and talking posts that I noticed
There seems to be a lot of "heavy conversations" there.
This can be exhausting and perhaps you need some quiet time--eg walking ahead of your companion and meeting at designated spots such as cafes?? Maybe listening to some music if you have an I pod?
The next section on the Meseta IMHO is beautiful scenic part of the Camino and an opportunity for some contemplation.
Saying this, I am a dreadful chatterbox with or without the I pod but we do keep a balance re this mainly because he can walk faster than me and can escape the din for want of a better word!
Please let us know what you do decide and best wishes to you Annette
Thank you for thinking of me it's very kind, yes I'm exhausted you're quite correct.... I always listen to 'humble opinions' ha ha they're often very useful! I've had little silence or unbroken sleep now in 21 days.... I've got headphones so will try to get some quiet downtime...and perhaps can get some private walking time too. I'm in a smart hotel tonight and tomorrow as I hit an amazing deal (the faces on reception staff were hilarious- an American guest asked to take a photo of me with full backpack and wet washing and boots dangling off!)

Please post your final thought on your latest camino when you finish, I am really interested as we are about to walk our second 'Camino Frances' next April.

Amongst other trails I have spent four months on the Appalachian Trail(AT) in the US and walked the GR5 across the Alps. There are similar issues on the AT re snorers and early risers in the Shelters so I camped nearby. I would wish to camp as much as possible on the Camino. I have the opportunity to do a stretch this October and a longer trip next year. However in view of the OP I wonder if the Camino is for me, can anyone recommend which one would suit me. I am in the UK but could start any where for three or four weeks.
On the GR5 with a discount pass you get a cheap BergEssen meal at Refuges.It is nearly always spaghetti bolognese which pales after a while. I did camp most of it but used the Refuges in the odd snowy day but with breakfasts nearly always bread and cheese I realised I could get more calories with my camp cooking.

Hi englishstu,
You might do a lot worse than looking at any camino starting at Valencia, Alicante, Malaga or Almeria, three/four weeks or so would take you to Merida/Zamora
All of these routes need a fair amount of research re albergues etc, but info is available on this forum, Mundicamino or the various amigo's sites, and as you are from the UK getting to the start point is easy and cheap.
Regards.
George

Hello englishstu. If you found the AT overly-crowded and not to your liking for whatever reasons, then IMO you will not enjoy the Camino Frances (it's significantly 'worse' in those regards). I urge you to consider another Camino or trek. I have not walked the other routes and have no opinion to offer on them.

Camino Community please jump in and assist him with your good advice on alternative routes. I want other kindred spirits to have an opportunity to participate in a 'long contemplative walk' that is right for them. This gets to the heart of the OP. Thank you!

Spiritual Athlete

Thank you for thinking of me it's very kind, yes I'm exhausted you're quite correct.... I always listen to 'humble opinions' ha ha they're often very useful! I've had little silence or unbroken sleep now in 21 days.... I've got headphones so will try to get some quiet downtime...and perhaps can get some private walking time too. I'm in a smart hotel tonight and tomorrow as I hit an amazing deal (the faces on reception staff were hilarious- an American guest asked to take a photo of me with full backpack and wet washing and boots dangling off!)
I hope you have been able to get the quiet downtime you seek, BonitaHolland, and that two nights in a nice hotel are restorative. I love the image you painted of when you checked in yesterday :) I start my first, much shorter camino in SJPP next week and so cannot offer any words of experience, but I will be thinking of you as you continue your personal journey. Sue

Have been reading several of the posts here. I have not done the Camino yet, but I will in May/June next year. Reading all the comments here makes me think of what is waiting for me. I look forward to walk with people, to walk alone. Somedays will be fantastic and somedays not. Rain and sun, to be alone and to make new friends. Use all kind of language, both my English, and perhaps German and French. Learning also Spanish. Time to be away from the ordinary daylife, what an opertunity, not everyone can have that, and I am thankful I can. In 8 months I will begin the walk, with everything it has to offer. Hope to be able to share moments with new friends and and to be a good walkingfriend to the people I meet. I am the kind of person who wakes up early in the morning, so I will probably start the walk early in the mornings, not because I have to, but because I want to.

Hello englishstu. If you found the AT overly-crowded and not to your liking for whatever reasons, then IMO you will not enjoy the Camino Frances (it's significantly 'worse' in those regards). I urge you to consider another Camino or trek.

I would agree. The Caminos are a very different experience from a wilderness trail like the AT. There are many threads debating the pros and cons (including legality) of camping along the routes. Not as straightforward as you might think. Why not try a short section of one of the Spanish caminos as a taster? If you really want a less crowded trail where camping is easy why not consider the various St Olav ways to Trondheim. I can personally recommend the Sundsvall to Trondheim route from the Baltic to the Atlantic.

"Amongst other trails I have spent four months on the Appalachian Trail(AT) in the US and walked the GR5 across the Alps. ...in view of the OP I wonder if the Camino is for me..."

Do your research, follow your heart and go take a hike. This isn't rocket science or Everest, just a fun and hopefully, meaningful trip. If it doesn't work, let go and find something different.

I've hiked a wide variety of trails in the world, from New Zealand to the AT southern half to the Rockies in my backyard, the Swiss GRs, a couple of Camino routes and many more in between. I can't compare the NYC actor in an AT snowstorm quoting Shakespeare around a campfire to the retired Norwegian army officer, who picked hazelnuts for me on the Camino. New Zealand's south island is a world away, literally and figuratively, from a blistering and dusty Tuscan road. My favorite dinner in the world, a sunset picnic by a trail here at home, is nothing like a Pilgrim's meal in Galicia.

All different, all with good days and bad, all with "interesting" people and experiences.

Don't listen to those who say you'll hate the Camino if you love the AT. They are just different experiences. That said, I'm looking at Le Puy...or the Highland Way....aaaarrrrgh! Which one???

PS: Snoring didn't keep us out of the AT shelters and into tents. But those savage little mice beasties in the middle of the night did!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've been thinking about the OP and our reactions to it... I don't disagree with any of it, and suspect that many or most experienced pilgrims wouldn't disagree with the particular points. However, it is an interesting example of how ideas are presented.

All of the "bad" points were made together at the start, very organized by bullet points, that set the mood. Then all of the positives, or ways to manage those bad points, were grouped in a more casual list. It set up a situation where one would be either on one side or the other!

Perhaps if the two "lists" had been integrated, the reaction would have been different. (This is not intended as a criticism of the OP; rather it is an observation and something I'm thinking about.) Every day on the Camino, a pilgrim is faced with good and bad aspects and must deal with them in the moment. We don't walk to the end and then add up the good and the bad. There is ongoing synergy in the experience, that leaves many of us feeling so good in the end.

Have been reading several of the posts here. I have not done the Camino yet, but I will in May/June next year. Reading all the comments here makes me think of what is waiting for me. I look forward to walk with people, to walk alone. Somedays will be fantastic and somedays not. Rain and sun, to be alone and to make new friends. Use all kind of language, both my English, and perhaps German and French. Learning also Spanish. Time to be away from the ordinary daylife, what an opertunity, not everyone can have that, and I am thankful I can. In 8 months I will begin the walk, with everything it has to offer. Hope to be able to share moments with new friends and and to be a good walkingfriend to the people I meet. I am the kind of person who wakes up early in the morning, so I will probably start the walk early in the mornings, not because I have to, but because I want to.
It's good that you like early mornings as there is no choice in this- mostly pilgrims start their 'rustling' preparations about 5am and sometimes before that! If you leave at 7.30am you'll be one of the last setting off! In a way it's hilarious that many are trying to escape home and work routines but slip into a pilgrim 'commuter' routine instead. I was giggling one morning as 20 pilgrims including me all trudged in the mist and dark up the long hill from Villafranca....one morning a guy set off at 3am.... perhaps he just couldn't sleep.

I've been thinking about the OP and our reactions to it... I don't disagree with any of it, and suspect that many or most experienced pilgrims wouldn't disagree with the particular points. However, it is an interesting example of how ideas are presented.

All of the "bad" points were made together at the start, very organized by bullet points, that set the mood. Then all of the positives, or ways to manage those bad points, were grouped in a more casual list. It set up a situation where one would be either on one side or the other!

Perhaps if the two "lists" had been integrated, the reaction would have been different. (This is not intended as a criticism of the OP; rather it is an observation and something I'm thinking about.) Every day on the Camino, a pilgrim is faced with good and bad aspects and must deal with them in the moment. We don't walk to the end and then add up the good and the bad. There is ongoing synergy in the experience, that leaves many of us feeling so good in the end.
Yes, I too have been following this thread with interest.
I think that after some of the initial knee jerk responses to the op comments...the replies settled down.
I thought the OP was about to be lynched in print!!
I guess that those of us who are a type of Camino addict are so protective of the CF that it upsets us to hear anything derogatory about it....even though some of the things said ( from the OP perspective) have a grain of truth in them.
I must remember that these are the OPs reflections, and not mine and I have never experienced the Camino in this way.
We've always just packed a bag and taken off without too much deep thinking (a bit like headless chickens I suppose)
Did not even have a Brierly book or any book in fact......just followed the arrows and stopped when tired!
Reading various posts however, there seems to be so much anxiety.....before the Camino........during the Camino......and after the Camino and I wonder if people have expectations based solely on other people's experiences..........and are then disappointed when they don't match.....just wondering??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

What are your thoughts?
Your post is exactly correct and I'm glad you had the guts to say so! I traveled "the way" in late May 2016 and walked away somewhat dissapointed. I told my wife who was with me for the journey," next time let's save a lot of money and hike down I-90 to the south side of Chicago for a glass of wine and a case of bed bugs. Sorry folks. The truth hurts.

Amongst other trails I have spent four months on the Appalachian Trail(AT) in the US and walked the GR5 across the Alps. There are similar issues on the AT re snorers and early risers in the Shelters so I camped nearby. I would wish to camp as much as possible on the Camino. I have the opportunity to do a stretch this October and a longer trip next year. However in view of the OP I wonder if the Camino is for me, can anyone recommend which one would suit me. I am in the UK but could start any where for three or four weeks.
On the GR5 with a discount pass you get a cheap BergEssen meal at Refuges.It is nearly always spaghetti bolognese which pales after a while. I did camp most of it but used the Refuges in the odd snowy day but with breakfasts nearly always bread and cheese I realised I could get more calories with my camp cooking.
Hi Englishstu
People might be better able to suggest a route if they knew what you are looking for exactly. I have guesses based on your post but they could be way off...are you wanting to exclusively pitch a tent...that may be very difficult on many of the 'less touristy' routes due to lack of legal camping sites. Are you wanting to avoid group meals full of carbs...then not the 'touristy routes' so much..
Solitude...just about any listed as a miscellaneous or other type route. edit: but probably little to no camping end editI only walked one step on the Cami Jaume but got the feeling it was the Maytag repairman of routes. But I don't think any will give you an AT feel. Maybe do the PCT or CDT?

edit: Pacific Crest Trail Continental Divide Trail...it should go without saying that the Camino de Santiago is a pilgrimage route, not a long distance through hike. People looking to camp and be alone in nature would be more likely to find that in places designed for that...hiking trails. not meaning this in a mean way, just trying to avoid some of the problems posted by the OP

that said, I recall some but not anywhere common campgrounds on the norte, none on the primitivo, and i think a couple on the Frances, but I wasn't looking for them. I only walked one step on the others I've walked so cant fairly comment, and only did CF SJPdP to Irache, and Leon-Ponferrada. Checking many of the sites and guidebooks listed throughout the forum may list other camping, and other members may have better memories

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Your post is exactly correct and I'm glad you had the guts to say so! I traveled "the way" in late May 2016 and walked away somewhat dissapointed. I told my wife who was with me for the journey," next time let's save a lot of money and hike down I-90 to the south side of Chicago for a glass of wine and a case of bed bugs. Sorry folks. The truth hurts.

I am sorry Mike hammer that you had an experience of walking the Camino that sadly did not live up to your expectations, but I take heart that the forum (and thus, by association, the Camino) must mean something if you take the time to check in.

I didn't understand your reference to the south side of Chicago, not being from the USA, but I understand what the word truth means and it is not synonymous with individual experience or personal opinion. What you write does not hurt, I am just saddened for you and your wife that you travelled thousands of miles spending hard-earned money for something that did not work out for you. I walked from the CF from a starting point of great sadness two years ago and, by the time I reached SdC it had been tempered by hope and joy, but it is not for everyone.

I traveled "the way" in late May 2016 and walked away somewhat dissapointed.
Hi Mike, I'm sorry it didn't work out for you and your wife, and thank you for a brave and honest post. I wonder if you would mind either expanding here, or in a PM to me? I've talked with some fellow vets about what i experienced, and the pluses and minuses I've seen, but I worry that I've luckily missed some event(s) that people should be warned about before going. Like I said in my earlier post, I have seen one blog (that was more petty than fair), then the OP's detailed post here, one small post years ago, and yours. I don't want to recommend something to friends already struggling if there's something significant I've overlooked.

I would wish to camp as much as possible on the Camino.
Hi Englishstu
I've thought of a possible solution to the camping (if it is camping all the time you want?)--if you are not doing this as a pilgrimage with a goal to reach SdC, you could do a little research and 'glue together' parts of several caminos that allow camping, to fill you entire vacation time. that would also give you a taste of several different parts of Spain, and several different caminos.

I too am sorry that your camino was such a let-down. However, I also have to say that it was your "truth" of which you spoke, and not mine.

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous.

I traveled "the way" in late May 2016 and walked away somewhat dissapointed.
What Mike wrote does not hurt me at all, and it doesn't even sadden me. I can fully imagine the "somewhat disappointed" and we all agree that the Camino is not for everyone. Nothing is! I have survived many a "somewhat disappointing" experience with a few lessons and laughs! He didn't like the Camino that much and I am fine with that. Let's not over-analyze! :rolleyes:

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
It's good that you like early mornings as there is no choice in this- mostly pilgrims start their 'rustling' preparations about 5am and sometimes before that! If you leave at 7.30am you'll be one of the last setting off! In a way it's hilarious that many are trying to escape home and work routines but slip into a pilgrim 'commuter' routine instead. I was giggling one morning as 20 pilgrims including me all trudged in the mist and dark up the long hill from Villafranca....one morning a guy set off at 3am.... perhaps he just couldn't sleep.
3 in the morning, that is nightime for me, and walking in the dark is not my kind of thing. And hopefully I will not walk by routine, but with an open mind. Buen Camino

Belonging to this forum is a fascinating study of the variety of ways people can interpret the same information. I didn’t read that the OP had a negative experience on the Camino. In fact, after reading his first post, I had no idea of what he experienced. I read it as more of a compilation of negatives others have mentioned on the forum with positive options of dealing with them. I agree with @Cclearly that integrating the lists might have been a good idea, but in reality, it was quite effective the way it was written as it has generated a huge response.

I do not understand why people have felt the need to attack the member personally and have had to have their posts removed as he didn’t state anything that hasn’t already been addressed many times. Was it really that controversial? Maybe putting them all together into a single list came across too harshly? I get the impression that when it comes to the Camino, some people become possessive and feel that they need to defend its honor. Sadly, it seems to me that instead of practicing “the golden rule”, we live in a time of “hit back harder”.

Of course, the Camino is open to people of all faiths, but it's origin is that it is a Christian walk. The Camino is a place where we can put those attributes into practice: kindness, helpfulness, honesty, consideration, generosity, selflessness, etc. You know, love of our neighbor. This is why I love walking the Chemin/Camino. For me, it is a gathering of like-minded people who share a love of nature and a willingness to serve each other.

Have no expectations.

Sounds like the OP had too many and made some poor choices.

Meant to add that it is possible to camp along the Camino. I only did a handful of nights, but met many who were camping every night. I guess they were having a very different experience to your average perigrino.

Hike your own hike, as they say.

Last edited:

€46,-

What are your thoughts?
Hi spiritual athlete,
I hope you and others do not mind my thoughts...
I remember ,when in Santiago cathedral at the pilgrim prayer around 8.30 pm, (sharing the reason that brought us to the Camino), I stood up and said "you do not choose to do the Camino, The Camino chooses you".
For me it was a religious thunder from the sky, the landed on my entire body.
The tought of walking for so long distance was an alien tought, but it became a solid reality. I had rediscovered faith and I wanted to find out were it would take me. Every step I take on the Camino is a blessing, and I feel wholeheartedly a Pilgrim, life is my journey and it feels special to have found this side of me..I did not know existed. I also thank fiction, "The Way", because it pushed the door I was about to open much wider.
I agree with you that we can choose many "Ways" in our lives, but are we really in control of which "Way" is our best ? in spiritual speak, things happen for a reason, there a no coincidences... so what brought you to walk yours?
best wishes for you to find a Buen Camino

I would like to arrive at SdC. Thanks Smallest Sparrow; your thought of walking several routes to make the most of the camping is a good one. I will look into that.
I am reading a journal /book on the Camino and if a Gite is full or not present the writer seems to just walk out of town and camp. Is that no longer possible or is it discouraged. That is much the same style that is used on the Appalachian Trail.
SS I see you are from California I have walked the John Muir Trail in your part of the world and
it was a great experience.

... I am reading a journal /book on the Camino and if a Gite is full or not present the writer seems to just walk out of town and camp. Is that no longer possible or is it discouraged. That is much the same style that is used on the Appalachian Trail....

Yes, it is discouraged by the people who live alongside the way, you will see many signs "no camping", especially in Galicia. The difference to the AT is that the Camino is a walk through a populated countryside where pretty much all land belongs to somebody, not a wilderness hike like the AT. Buen Camino, SY

Hi spiritual athlete,
I remember ,when in Santiago cathedral at the pilgrim prayer around 8.30 pm, (sharing the reason that brought us to the Camino), I stood up and said "you do not choose to do the Camino, The Camino chooses you".
The tought of walking for so long distance was an alien tought, but it became a solid reality. I had rediscovered faith and I wanted to find out were it would take me. Every step I take on the Camino is a blessing, and I feel wholeheartedly a Pilgrim, life is my journey and it feels special to have found this side of me..I did not know existed. I also thank fiction, "The Way", because it pushed the door I was about to open much wider.
I agree with you that we can choose many "Ways" in our lives, but are we really in control of which "Way" is our best ? in spiritual speak, things happen for a reason, there a no coincidences... so what brought you to walk yours?
Great post and thankyou.!!

€46,-
Thank you for your thoughtful post. Although I have not yet walked the Camino, I think I may understand what you're saying. My travels have taught me that I do not enjoy being on a 'tourist track' which skirts the culture of a place. I ran screaming from Venice (not outwardly but with every cell and fibre of my being), I walked out of the centres of both Florence and Rome, to the outskirts where I found everyday life. I hated 'tourist' India until I got sick and was taken in and cared for by a local family in a small fishing village. They are now my second family. Portugal was a dream for me but I was doing work exchanges and so was always living with local people and thoroughly enjoyed learning from their perspectives.

Your post offers important insight from your perspective and is a valuable contribution for those who have not yet walked to consider.

I would like to arrive at SdC. Thanks Smallest Sparrow; your thought of walking several routes to make the most of the camping is a good one. I will look into that.
I am reading a journal /book on the Camino and if a Gite is full or not present the writer seems to just walk out of town and camp. Is that no longer possible or is it discouraged. That is much the same style that is used on the Appalachian Trail.
SS I see you are from California I have walked the John Muir Trail in your part of the world and
it was a great experience.
Hi again,
As @SYates said, wild camping is illegal (and IMHO rude to our host country). People write about it but it doesn't make it legal, or socially correct. You will probably have more luck in parts of the Camino that draws people to camp (I think this is why I saw more campgrounds on the Norte), but it may be more expensive than an albergue or pension. Eventually however you will get closer to SdC and the closer you get it may be more challenging to find a campground. That said I do recall a large on a few miles short of SdC, and another enroute to finisterre (the last step).
You should consider that many enjoy the meeting/mixing with other pilgrims, especially on the Frances. You may not experience that by staying at campgrounds, and the routes with more camp grounds may not have many pilgrims.
I'm glad you enjoyed the John Muir trail and hope you figure out a good way to do the Camino.

Hey, Englishstu,
here are a few of the websites I found for camping in Spain
http://www.eurocampings.co.uk/campsite/search/countryID/ESP/#start=50
http://www.camping-spain.net/
https://www.coolcamping.co.uk/campsites/europe/spain
there were 637,000 hits on google for campgrounds spain so I didn't list them all. Looking at them, and at a map of the routes, could help you design a route but it does look like what I've found trying to plan walking California's Mission Trail: camping is actually quite expensive :eek:...not even counting the cost of the tent. There may be cheaper sites, or cheaper places you find walking that are not on the internet (I think the CSJ guide would occasionally list one), but it seems you will pay as much for a campsite as you will for a hotel/pension, and more than an albergue. But if the tent-living is the important thing, then it is worth the cost of course. People often wonder if albergues will let them put up tents on the albergue grounds, and that of course must be arranged with the albergue, and I wouldn't count on it...so if tent living is an absolute need then I'd recommend contacting albergues in the planning stage to see if any would let you camp (and expect them to ask you to pay the same fee you would for using a bed).
Buen Camino

Last edited:
Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi spiritual athlete,
I really appreciate your thoughts and your observation of which 'Way' is best for us. Echoes of the 'Maybe good, maybe bad' fable of the Farmer and his only son (or variations thereof).

To quote the great philosopher Soren Kierkegaard:
Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards.

We can never know our whole story - which path is right for us, whether an event perceived as a negative will actually turn out to be a positive in the future. Even, and especially, unmet expectations can prove a valuable spiritual lesson.

The Ancient Greeks believed that as we walked the Way of Life our past was the horizon - always visible but distant and unreachable, our present the steps we were taking and the path immediately before us... and the future... unseen behind us and yet to become the unknown path beneath our feet.

I really appreciate your thoughts and your observation of which 'Way' is best for us. Echoes of the 'Maybe good, maybe bad' fable of the Farmer and his only son (or variations thereof).

We can never know our whole story - which path is right for us, whether an event perceived as a negative will actually turn out to be a positive in the future. Even, and especially, unmet expectations can prove a valuable spiritual lesson.

The Ancient Greeks believed that as we walked the Way of Life our past was the horizon - always visible but distant and unreachable, our present the steps we were taking and the path immediately before us... and the future... unseen behind us and yet to become the unknown path beneath our feet.
Amazing words, thank yo

Hi wokabaut meri,
I really liked your words, deep and soulful...

Most read last week in this forum

Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back