• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Don't want to be scared...

angeliki louk

Time of past OR future Camino
July 2014 camino Frances.
June 2015 Camino north
Camino primitivo
Can wait to be on the way again...I walked Camino Frances last year and for me it was a lifetime experience and that's why I am going back!!!!.19/6 I will begin from Bilbao ....I have been reading about the Camino frances and all the incidents that have been happening lately...and I just wanted to see if anyone is starting to walk the north around that period...
I know that the way provides and I know that on the way I will find friends to walk with, share nice moments and feel safe...I don't want to begin my walk feeling scared.just wanted to share my thoughts.
Buen Camino.

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I'll be starting from Irun on the 12th so I imagine I will be arriving in Bilbao on the 17th and departing the next morning but if I'm delayed I'll let you know!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I will be in front of you by a week.
Just be a little more careful than we used to be.
Try to be in a group or in sight of other pilgrims whenever possible.
It is very sad that we have to suggest this...but again..there it is.
Things have changed a bit, but it is still very safe on the Camino.
Take care and have fun.
Thank you!!buen camino!!!!

I'll be starting from Irun on the 12th so I imagine I will be arriving in Bilbao on the 17th and departing the next morning but if I'm delayed I'll let you know!
:) ok!! Thank you so much!!! I will be arriving on the 18/6 in the afternoon so I will start the next morning! Keep me informed! Buen camino!!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Well I prefer if you are delayed :) since I will be starting on the 19th :) but anyway keep me informed for your locations !!!!! It's nice to know that for sure someone will be somewhere near you!

Well I prefer if you are delayed :) since I will be starting on the 19th :) but anyway keep me informed for your locations !!!!! It's nice to know that for sure someone will be somewhere near you!
No problem! I'm sure there'll be plenty of ppl passing through at this time so you won't be alone but yes I'll keep you posted :) Buen camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I will begin in Irun on August 30, much later than those of you who wrote above, but perhaps someone reading this will be going about the same time as my start. I walked solo on the Frances in 2013 and loved it, but I must say those warnings aren't great, are they? No warnings (yet) on the Norte, however.

I am a solo female walker and I will be starting from Irun on June 26th! Would like to see if anyone else is traveling at that same time so we can meet up. Let me know!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Can wait to be on the way again...I walked Camino Frances last year and for me it was a lifetime experience and that's why I am going back!!!!.19/6 I will begin from Bilbao ....I have been reading about the Camino frances and all the incidents that have been happening lately...and I just wanted to see if anyone is starting to walk the north around that period...
I know that the way provides and I know that on the way I will find friends to walk with, share nice moments and feel safe...I don't want to begin my walk feeling scared.just wanted to share my thoughts.
Buen Camino.
2 years ago I walked Del Norte from Hendaye to Santiago alone. It was in September, and there was many pilgrims on the camino. It was a very beautiful camino, and I was not afraid to walk alone. The albergues on Del Norte are often smaller, than the ones you have seen on camino Francés. That is a problem, if you like me, likes to walk longer than 20 km a day. Other pilgrims often walks less than 20 km to get a bed at the next albergue or takes the bus parts of the way. So I only stayed in albergues about 8 times on Del Norte, because I planned to walk 30-35 km a day. I often passed other pilgrims sitting outside an albergue at 10 a.m. waiting for the hospitalero to finish cleaning so they could get a bed !! For me it was just too early to stop for the day. Once in Miraz the albergue was almost complete with people, that had only walked from Baamonde... 15 km away !!! I had walked 37 km in the rain and got one of the last beds. Others than came a bit later and had walked the same distance as me, was send away !!:mad:I did not understand, why the hospitaleros in Miraz let the Baamonde-Walkers take all the beds. It was raining a lot that day, but the short-distance-walkers as not ill or disabled to walk. Just tired of all the rain.

2 years ago I walked Del Norte from Hendaye to Santiago alone. It was in September, and there was many pilgrims on the camino. It was a very beautiful camino, and I was not afraid to walk alone. The albergues on Del Norte are often smaller, than the ones you have seen on camino Francés. That is a problem, if you like me, likes to walk longer than 20 km a day. Other pilgrims often walks less than 20 km to get a bed at the next albergue or takes the bus parts of the way. So I only stayed in albergues about 8 times on Del Norte, because I planned to walk 30-35 km a day. I often passed other pilgrims sitting outside an albergue at 10 a.m. waiting for the hospitalero to finish cleaning so they could get a bed !! For me it was just too early to stop for the day. Once in Miraz the albergue was almost complete with people, that had only walked from Baamonde... 15 km away !!! I had walked 37 km in the rain and got one of the last beds. Others than came a bit later and had walked the same distance as me, was send away !!:mad:I did not understand, why the hospitaleros in Miraz let the Baamonde-Walkers take all the beds. It was raining a lot that day, but the short-distance-walkers as not ill or disabled to walk. Just tired of all the rain.

Hanne:

I think most people stop in Miraz because the next stop is Sobrado dos Monxes. That is a 41 km day from Baamonde. Most Pilgrims do not walk that far and do not enjoy walking in the rain. I believe there are now a couple of options I saw posted in the Miraz bar.

Ultreya,
Joe

Hanne:

I think most people stop in Miraz because the next stop is Sobrado dos Monxes. That is a 41 km day from Baamonde. Most Pilgrims do not walk that far and do not enjoy walking in the rain. I believe there are now a couple of options I saw posted in the Miraz bar.

Ultreya,
Joe
Hi Joe,
It is true, there was other options. My fellow-pilgrims went there for the night.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
woodswoman: I plan on doing the Norte first week of September and I am just a little on edge. I was going to do the Frances but with everything going on their I have decided to do the Norte. Not sure how fast you walk but maybe Ill see you there.:)

My wife and I will be starting from Irun about July 30th. We did the Frances two years ago and are looking forward to the Norte. We plan to also walk the Le Puy in September. Anyone also leaving from Irun on July 30th?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Starting in Irun on June 10th - it would be real fun to meet some of you guys!

Buen camino![/QUOTE
I arrive in Irun on 9th and start on 10th of June. Hope to meet lots of people to share my Camino experience.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
I will begin in Irun on August 30, much later than those of you who wrote above, but perhaps someone reading this will be going about the same time as my start. I walked solo on the Frances in 2013 and loved it, but I must say those warnings aren't great, are they? No warnings (yet) on the Norte, however.
Hi, I will arrive in Irun on the 31th of August.... So you'll not walk alone - I'll be right behind you :)

Buen Camino.

Geia sou Angeliki

eimai Martina kai eimai italida. I'm 26 years old and I'm deciding what to do. I would like to do the Camino del Norte but I can't be in Santander before 21 - 22 june.
Do you think that you'll be there about in those days? If yes can I do the Camino with you? I wouldn't like to do it alone, even if I believe in people - I've already done the camino frances- but I understand who is at home and it's worried about me.
Let me know your news!

Martina

P.S: I speak Italian, French, English and a little bit of Greek and Spanish

Do not be sucked in by fear.
The Camino de Santiago is still one of the safest places you can be.
I second Rebekah's comment. I think most of the people expressing fear will see it dissipate once on the Camino, especially after they meet all of the other pilgrims that will be out on the Camino during this time of year.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I'll be walking the CDN beginning in either Irun or Bilbao on June 9. On this point, I could use some advice! If I've already been to San Sebastián and surrounding area, am I missing much of I start in Bilbao? I only have 25 days and am leaning towards taking the Primitivo from Oviedo but am open to either. Has anyone done or heard of people doing that full route in 25 days? I'm female, in my late 20s, and fairly fit. Have been walking/hiking/running for a month and a half regularly, albeit without a backpack. I look forward to crossing paths with some of you!

Most read last week in this forum

Reports of money missing from a few wallets at Rocanvelles this afternoon. Money was taken, but the wallets/purses were not. Police have been called. Stay safe!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back