• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Door of Mercy at the Cathedral in Santiago?

gohoyas

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances 2015
Camino Portugues 2016
I am walking the Camino Portuguese starting in September. I heard that because the Pope has declared a Jubilee Year of Mercy that there is a special door of forgiveness we can walk through at the Cathedral in Santiago de Compostela. Is this true? Where is the door?

Also, how can we find out which masses have the botafumero? Is there any way to find out in advance? Will the Pilgrim's Office know?

Thank you for any information! Buen Camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, gohoyas,

Welcome to the forum! I'm a Hoya, too, class of 1972.

The Santiago Cathedral has a Holy Door, off of the Plaza de Quintana, which is open only during Holy Years and this Year of Mercy. You will have no problem finding the door.

The botafumeiro "flies" at every Friday 7:30 pm mass, paid for by the hoteliers of Santiago. Aside from planned appearances at special masses throughout the year, the botafumeiro depends on a contribution of, I think, 350-400 euros. It is not announced in advance, so count yourself lucky if you see it.

Buen camino, Laurie

Last edited:
I have been through the holy doors in Florence, Pisa, and Santiago this year. The one in Santiago was the easiest to go through, but only entering the cathedral, not leaving it! It will close again on about November 20, so you will be able to go through it. Buen camino!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Oh how fortunate to be able to go through the Holy Door in the catherdral. There are only 7 Holy Doors in the world. Four in Italy, one in FRance , one in Quebc, and the catherdral in Santiago....The Doors of Mercy are in the major Catherdrals in each city as part of the Popes Jublilee of Mercy as not everyone can get to a Holy Door.
There is more to the forgiveness of sin by walking through the door.....

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Oh how fortunate to be able to go through the Holy Door in the catherdral. There are only 7 Holy Doors in the world. Four in Italy, one in FRance , one in Quebc, and the catherdral in Santiago....The Doors of Mercy are in the major Catherdrals in each city as part of the Popes Jublilee of Mercy as not everyone can get to a Holy Door.There is more to the forgiveness of sin by walking through the door.....
There are many, many holy doors in the world that have been proclaimed by Pope Francis for this Year of Mercy. Our diocese alone (Austin, TX) has 4 so that people do not have to travel a long distance to the cathedral. On our Camino we also walked through several clearly-marked holy doors in Barcelona, Leon, Astorga, Burgos (I believe) and Pamplona.

Oh how fortunate to be able to go through the Holy Door in the catherdral. There are only 7 Holy Doors in the world. Four in Italy, one in FRance , one in Quebc, and the catherdral in Santiago....The Doors of Mercy are in the major Catherdrals in each city as part of the Popes Jublilee of Mercy as not everyone can get to a Holy Door.
There is more to the forgiveness of sin by walking through the door.....

This is not completely correct.
The Porta Santa worldwide in this Year of Mercy.

I myself walked through the Porta Santa in the cathedrals in Antwerp and Liege here in Belgium.

http://www.im.va/content/gdm/en/mondo/porte-della-misericordia.html

Here is my husband standing at the door. It's very distinctive. As said above, you can only enter the Cathedral through the door.

Blessing and Buen Camino!

P5302439.JPG

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I am at Santiago at present, working as a volunteer at the Pilgrim's Office, until 20 August. Peregrino Nicole is here as well, and we are currently flat-mates.

As regards the Holy Door, or the Door of Mercy, it is as everyone above has stated. I would add that, as this is the summer and it is peak pilgrim and tourist season, there is frequently a queue to enter the special Holy Door/Door of Mercy. When I walk by, there are typically 20-30 people in the queue. But, it is totally manageable.

The special door is on the East side of the Cathedral, facing Plaza Quitana. The primary entry to the Cathedral is around the corner, through the South Transept, at the top of the stairs at Plaza Praterias.

In either case, backpacks are NOT permitted into the Cathedral for security reasons. The nearest consigna, to pay to store your backpack, walking sticks, staff or bike securely is located at the top of the stone stairs at Plaza Praterias, about 30 meters to the right.

An organization of university academics operates a shop on the corner of the building called "Campus Stellae." They sell souvenirs, as well as locally sourced crafts and foods. But most important to this thread, it is the consigna nearest the Cathedral entrances.

The Pilgrim Office, at Rua das Carretas #33, also operates a consigna. It costs €2 per day. You CAN store items for multiple days, like if you want continue on to Fonistetre or Muxia, and return in 5 or 6 days. Inquire at the group office.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
In this busiest of periods you cannot access the rest of the cathedral through the Holy Door. The Cathedral has announced :

Information about access to the Cathedral:
Access to the Cathedral (Basilica) is performed by the door Silversmiths, leaving the door Azabachería and Portico Bookshop Real as exit doors.
Entrance through the Door of Mercy allows access to the Tomb of the Apostle and to embrace the Saint, returning to the outside by the door of the Abbots, the Plaza de la Quintana.
Access to the Cathedral Museum (Permanent Collection visits and visits covered) is performed through the Visitor Reception Centre in the Plaza del Obradoiro (on the main facade of the Cathedral).

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1469887308446.jpg
    FB_IMG_1469887308446.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 2

Most read last week in this forum

Does anyone know a good shop I SDC where they have local cheeses, hams and other delicacies to take home?
The Galicia Rail pass is available to anyone who completes the Camino and is awarded the completion certificate. It allows for 3 days of train travel and also discounts to other places you may...
Has anybody recently volunteered at the Pilgrim office for the 15 day timeframe? Where did you stay in Santiago?
For those who are in Santiago 🙏🏻

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back