• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doubling of pilgrims on the Levante

peregrina2000

Staff member
While we are focusing on the Olvidado and the Invierno and their respective increases, look what is happening down in Valencia!

Bottom line here is that the number of pilgrims leaving from Valencia has doubled since last year, and the comparison is total number last year vs. total number through July this year. Assuming there won’t be too many in August and September (though the article notes that 39 left in July!), I would expect that October would have a bunch.

This is a very different camino than Olvidado (mountains) and Invierno (hills and rivers) — wide open spaces, more castles than you can count (well, that’s a slight exaggeration), and monumental cities like Toledo, Avila, Zamora. Oh yeah, there are a couple of stunning mountain sections too, between Toledo and Avila, just amazing!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Oh no!... i walked this and bits of the sureste in 2017 and in 4 weeks saw 3 people.
Ive just finished bits of the mozarabe (saw noone) and bits of vdlp ...met 3 cyclists travelling together and one walker in aljucen. I was using up my t I me before a flight so walked back to merida from aljucen and saw...nobody.....

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
As the Frances becomes more and more crowded, those of us who want peace and quiet will be looking for other options. The Levante sounds gorgeous, an especially good option for Winter and Spring pilgrims.
Winter could be very cold and windy on those inland flatlands (like Meseta or Tierra de Campos). I've heard that locals say they only know two seasons: winter and hell :)

I tried the hell :D

Hi everybody,
Now I'm on the camino Levante. Today, I'm in Albacete. I've noticed that a pilgrim noticed 6 days before me. Temperature are very high (35-40 °C) : perhaps it's hell 😅? Some long stages.o

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The spring option is absolutely the way to go, IMO, but lots of respect to you he.panpub. I cannot imagine walking in the summer. I hope you are enjoying it in spite of the temperatures.

I started on May 3. The weather and the terrain were perfect. Those emerald green fields waving in the wind, the bright red poppies, oh so wonderful. And then of course, the chance to get lost in the cottonwood forest outside Zamora 😄

You know, one thing I would add for people considering it is that the number of towns with interesting things to see and visit is really very high. So even if you are alone, you won’t be bored! Dulcinea’s house, gorgeous churches, unique plazas mayores, castles to visit, the garlic capital of Spain ;), etc. Even when I walked five or six years ago, I remember thinking that the number of albergues was quite high for such an untraveled camino. And I also know that the number has increased since then. So, Kinky, maybe we should stop championing the Invierno, now that it is going to take off with the Xunta’s publicity, and refocus on the Levante.

In 2016, between Lisbon ans Coimbra on portugues way, on 2017 on camino Torrès, in 2018 between Sagres ans Lisbon, I found very high temperatures. As I hike in june, july, August or september, I know that it will be difficult but it is like Meseta

The spring option is absolutely the way to go, IMO, but lots of respect to you he.panpub. I cannot imagine walking in the summer. I hope you are enjoying it in spite of the temperatures.

I started on May 3. The weather and the terrain were perfect. Those emerald green fields waving in the wind, the bright red poppies, oh so wonderful. And then of course, the chance to get lost in the cottonwood forest outside Zamora 😄

You know, one thing I would add for people considering it is that the number of towns with interesting things to see and visit is really very high. So even if you are alone, you won’t be bored! Dulcinea’s house, gorgeous churches, unique plazas mayores, castles to visit, the garlic capital of Spain ;), etc. Even when I walked five or six years ago, I remember thinking that the number of albergues was quite high for such an untraveled camino. And I also know that the number has increased since then. So, Kinky, maybe we should stop championing the Invierno, now that it is going to take off with the Xunta’s publicity, and refocus on the Levante.
I'm in for Levante anytime. I loved it. And I walked it in extreme heat, even more than @he.panpub . Excelent summary you gave BTW!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Bottom line here is that the number of pilgrims leaving from Valencia has doubled since last year, and the comparison is total number last year vs. total number through July this year. Assuming there won’t be too many in August and September (though the article notes that 39 left in July!), I would expect that October would have a bunch.
and those are only the pilgrims who come at the Associación for their credencial. Most from other countries do not

Hmmm, I have very mixed feelings about the Levante. Definitely not of green fields and poppies! Although Scott did finally get to eat partridge which he said was memorable. Toledo, Avila and Zamora are all wonderful... But memories of this trip are of long dry stretches, even longer then the Vdlp which I love. Perhaps it was starting in Cartehenga which added a degree of difficulty. I felt this was more of a cycle route.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I´m so happy to see that the number of walkers on Camino Levante are increasing. It is not my favorite camino, but in a strange way I have a "loving feeling" for this camino. We walked the first part, from Valencia to Almansa a second time last autumn. You find some information and the photo-video here: https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/photo-video-from-camino-de-levante.59739/

Why do I have a special care for this camino?
- Autumn! We walked Levante in parts - both in spring and in autumn. Spring is nice everywhere in Spain (if you are not caught up in weeks of rain!) But autumn is said to be dry, brown, dusty ...

We started out from Pedroñeras September 25th 2014, and for the first time in my life a really SAW the autumn colors! They were beautiful, wonderful! There were all nuances of brown, yellow, red, orange. I love this camino for giving me this insight! I look at autumn colors in a new way since then, and wish Camino Levante good luck!

I tried to catch the colors in pictures. The photo-video with the colors is called "Camino de Levante, Valencia - Zamora 3 (Pedroñers - Toledo)", and you can find the photo-videos on my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCt5ZEmAaRwk0YVj7HRwQa4g/playlists
Bjørg

Ok, so I was planning to do the Portugese route next year, but, might be able to get the funds together to do the Camino De Levante/Sanabrés route. Now, does the Camino Sureste and the De Levante routes follow the same path for most of their route? Does the Sureste stop at the start of the Sanabres? My plan was to do the De Levante to Zamora and join the De la Plata to start of Sanabres. Anyone done these routes that have any advice which is best course to take? I’d imagine that Valencia is a more appealing city to start at than tourist ridden Alicante. Any pointers would be helpful right now. Many thanks.

Ok, so I was planning to do the Portugese route next year, but, might be able to get the funds together to do the Camino De Levante/Sanabrés route. Now, does the Camino Sureste and the De Levante routes follow the same path for most of their route? Does the Sureste stop at the start of the Sanabres? My plan was to do the De Levante to Zamora and join the De la Plata to start of Sanabres. Anyone done these routes that have any advice which is best course to take? I’d imagine that Valencia is a more appealing city to start at than tourist ridden Alicante. Any pointers would be helpful right now. Many thanks.
For a general overview of routes see this map:
At the point where Levante veers off to the left in direction of Zamora, the Sureste still goes up north and connects with Plata in Benavente.

Officially the Sanabres starts in La Granja de Moreruela so to connect Levante and Sanabres technically you'll have the opportunity to walk on VdlP for 2-3 days :)

Otherwise Levante and Sanabres roughly overlapse on this stretches:
- Albacete - Minaya
- El Toboso - Rielves
- intersects in Escalona
- Cebreros - Medina del Campo where they split for good.
But some of the shorter parts within those that I wrote above also might be slightly different.
More here: https://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/
And in subforums.

Buen Camino!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

But memories of this trip are of long dry stretches, even longer then the Vdlp which I love. Perhaps it was starting in Cartehenga which added a degree of difficulty

Back with the increment of pilgrims on this way, I have not yet numbers, but in this beginning of 2022 we have at the AACS-CV a clear view of more pilgrims, national and foreign.

And today we had something quite new for us: as you can remember from former thread, every two weeks we dedicate one day for maintnance of a segment of Levante; today, in the team of arrow-painters, we had a lady from Uruguay, her husband from North-Carolina/USA, other gentleman from Plymouth/UK, and the two members with France as origin. Along the way we spoke Spanish, Valencian, English and French!

€60,-
Back with the increment of pilgrims on this way, I have not yet numbers, but in this beginning of 2022 we have at the AACS-CV a clear view of more pilgrims, national and foreign.

And today we had something quite new for us: as you can remember from former thread, every two weeks we dedicate one day for maintnance of a segment of Levante; today, in the team of arrow-painters, we had a lady from Uruguay, her husband from North-Carolina/USA, other gentleman from Plymouth/UK, and the two members with France as origin. Along the way we spoke Spanish, Valencian, English and French!
I have always been appreciative of the work done by various associations in keeping routes well marked, especially on those 'roads less taken.' It was a pleasure to join you all yesterday Jean-Luc, and I look forward to the next 'repinturas' outing in two weeks. Richard, Plymouth.

Attachments

• 20220212_173926.jpg
    20220212_173926.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 7

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back