• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Doubting November Camino

caminoforme86

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances October 2013 - December 2013
So I've had it in my head for at least 2 years that this will be the year I do another Camino, I turn 30 in Augst I've always wanted to do the Norte but after not very much in the way of feedback I'm starting to think doing the Camino in November/December is well not 'doable'.

I don't mind the challenge of walking in the cold or wet, my last Camino in 2013 during November was amazingly perfect weather wise, and I often wonder how I would have coped had I been challenged with cold and wet.

I work seasonally so November really is my only time I can get to go, The earliest I can set off is the 10th November, I have a gig in Bilbao on the 24th November I was originally planning to leave on the 15th walk the 8 days to Bilbao see then gig have a day in Bilbao and set off again, meaning I was only leaving Bilbao on the 26th November.

In honest opinions is it really really unthinkable to be setting off this late as a solo female walker?

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The weather is, as always, not predictable. Rain is almost a certainty so rain gear would be a no-brainer.
My concern would be the possible lack of other pilgrims....as a solo woman.
Hopefully, you would find other walkers on the first day and just keep close enough to know they are nearby. Waking with someone would be best if that worked out.

Unfortunate that this has become a fact on the Caminos...but there it is.
The Norte is a bit more isolated than the CF.

The idea is a very good one and I am sure it can be made safe with a little planning and common sense.

Go for it!

In honest opinions is it really really unthinkable to be setting off this late as a solo female walker?

Hi, I don’t think it’s unthinkable or not doable. But I do think that, unless you are lucky enough to meet up with another pilgrim or two, you will be alone most of the time. What about starting off as planned - by the time you get to Bilbao you will have a feel for whether this is working out, or not. If not, take the bus to Logrono or Burgos, and continue walking on the Camino Frances. Sure, you’ve done it before, but every camino is different; you’ll meet different people, stay in different places. There will be other times in the future when you can go back to Bilbao to continue on the Norte.

I intended walking the coastal Portuguese camino in March this year, but the weather was so bad (driving wind and rain straight off the sea), so we had to give up and get onto the central route instead. I was so disappointed at the time, but looking back, I am glad this happened because now I still have the coastal route to look forward to one summer. I was crazy even thinking I would enjoy a coastal walk in winter! Jill

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
The weather is, as always, not predictable. Rain is almost a certainty so rain gear would be a no-brainer.
My concern would be the possible lack of other pilgrims....as a solo woman.
Hopefully, you would find other walkers on the first day and just keep close enough to know they are nearby. Waking with someone would be best if that worked out.

Unfortunate that this has become a fact on the Caminos...but there it is.
The Norte is a bit more isolated than the CF.

The idea is a very good one and I am sure it can be made safe with a little planning and common sense.

Go for it!

Many thanks for your positive reply :-D I'ts given me the courage to GO FOR IT!

Just in the process of booking flights :-D

I'll be sensible and as you say going with the thought of walking the first 7/8 days and getting a feel for it will be the best mind set, even going with doing day 1 2 or 3. It will always be there for me to return if November turns out not to be the month for me to finish it.

Thank you.
K

Most read last week in this forum

Last May I walked the first part of the Norte in the opposite direction, from Santander to Irun. Since I only had two weeks and couldn't reach Santiago anyway, I wanted to swim against the tide...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.