• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Douro River trails

Jim Michie

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2015
Norte 2016
My wife and are planning on walking the Camino Portuguese, starting in Lisbon, this year and was trying to find information about a several day walk up the Douro River. I have searched the internet for information and can only find expensive guided and unguided professional tours. I have also not been able to find any guide books. Does anyone in the Forum know of source for information?

Jim Michie

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
My wife and are planning on walking the Camino Portuguese, starting in Lisbon, this year and was trying to find information about a several day walk up the Douro River. I have searched the internet for information and can only find expensive guided and unguided professional tours. I have also not been able to find any guide books. Does anyone in the Forum know of source for information?

Jim Michie

Hi, Jim,
I don't know of any paths that go up and down the Douro. I know several people who have walked in the Douro area, and they follow paths that weave around but do not actually spend all their time along the Douro. If that is what you mean, I would start with wikiloc.com. They have millions of GPS tracks. Search for trails by putting in a town name or Douro or both and you will be surprised at what comes up. Are you planning to start from Porto or further east, say in Regua or Pinhao?

The other possibility for a trail in the Douro area, but one that goes in a northerly direction is the Camino Portugues Interior. There is a subforum on that camino in the forum. It goes from Viseu to Chaves and over the join the Vdlp in Verín. You will find several excellent posts by forum members descibing their walk. Definitely one I would love to walk.

And there is also the Portuguese branch of the Vdlp, which I think goes somewhere near Lamego and Mesao Frio but I am not completely clear on that.

Good luck with this search and keep us posted. Buen camino, Laurie

Last summer I spent 2 weeks in Portugal by car after finishing walking in Santiago. The Duoro river wine country is spectacular. If you are unable to find suitable trails, there are river cruises available out of Porto to look into.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
And if you are broadening your search to include other means of transportation than foot, I would HIGHLY recommend the little chug chug train that goes from Regua (but I would start it further east in Pinhao) to Pocinho. That is a portion of the Douro that is inaccessible by car and is about a 45 minute ride each way with a quick rest stop for the drive in Pocinho where there are two cafés, some people selling home made olive oil, honey, and some wine, and not much more.

Hi Jim,
Here are two links that might be helpful:
La Ruta del Duero
franky.mmh's Wikiloc tracks
On either site, the stages in Portugal are etapas 21-26.
As Laurie says above, Wikiloc is an excellent place to find tracks. In addition to searching by place name, you can search on a map. The more you zoom in, the more trails that appear. Sometimes you have to zoom in far more than you would have thought to make all the trails that start in a certain location appear. Also, when you are on the page for a track in the area you are interested in, other nearby tracks appear in a grey box on the right-hand side.
Elaine

Wow, that is absolutely terrific. This forum is just an incredible source of great information. I have visited Foz Coa and think it is really pretty desolate, not the Douro vineyard splendor you are likely to be thinking of, so I am not sure I would walk all that way from Porto.

And Elaine, where have you been all my life (or at least for the last two years since I figured out how to use wikiloc)? I had no idea you could do a map search! I don't have access to my computer right now, but you can be sure it will be the first thing I will try when I get back home. (And just to be forewarned, I am likely to have questions since I am not exactly a brilliant tech person). Many thanks, Laurie

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Laurie, given all that I have learned from your posts and blogs over the years, the thought that I might be able to be helpful to you in some small way brought a big smile to my face. Re Wikiloc, it seems to slowly reveal its strengths the more you use it. It would be useful to anybody on this forum who would like to find trails that could add to their camino journeys, either to take day walks to nearby places of interest or to extend their time in Spain. Both Wikiloc and Gaia were invaluable to me recently for planning a 90-day walking trip we will start in February in the Serrania de Ronda.

One tip that might be useful to both you and Jim right now is that you can show more than one Wikiloc track on your screen at a time so you can compare them - seeing whether they coincide, intersect, extend each other, etc. When you have the map view search window open and have zoomed in to the part of the world that interests you, you will see a little symbol to the right of the track names in the left-hand panel. Click on that symbol, and the track will appear on the map. You can leave that track open and click on others to see their relationship. When you want to close a track, just click on the "eye" symbol again.

Have fun exploring!
Elaine

Last edited:

Jim Michie

IMG_20200311_214059.jpg
Hi, Jim,
In March 2018, a variant of the Camino Portuguese was launched, starting in Pinhao. You can check the "Way of St. James - Variant 'Heart of the Douro'" track on wikilock. https://www.wikiloc.com/hiking-trails/caminho-santiago-variante-coracao-do-douro-1a-etapa-34844833

Jorge Pinho

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back