• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Douro Valley advice

auburnfive

Veteran Member
Hello,
I am hoping to spend a few days in the Douro Valley before embarking on a Camino from Porto next spring. Has anyone done something similiar? What were the highlights and where did you stay? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. ( PS we would be using local transportation).

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We didn’t go into the duoro even though that was my preference, looking forward to responses. I really liked the CP, we went coastal and varient spiritual, which I would encourage.

I took the train from Porto to Pinhao and had a pleasant lunch there. There are boats that offer the same kind of experience. No idea about walking alternatives but it pretty much like the tourist promotional photos, a deep valley with endless vineyards on both sides. I finished the day muttering to myself, "Been there, done that!"

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi, @auburnfive,

Great idea to spend time in the Douro. I am not aware that there is a good bus system, if any, but the trains go from Porto all the way to Pocinho. The most beautiful part of the Douro valley starts in Pinhao and heads east to Pocinho. There is a little train that goes from Peso da Regua to Pocinho. But Regua is easily accessible from Porto by train. Regua, IMO, is a big commercial wine center and not a highpoint for tourists, unless you are wine tourists. There are also boat trips up and down the river, but I don’t know if you can use them as a mode of transportation, i.e., getting from point A to B.

It’s only my opinion, but I really think a car is necessary to visit the Douro. Many of the great views, the nice old estates for lodging, the small towns, the vineyards, are all out there.

Searching the forum will bring up additional ideas, this thread for instance.

Last edited:
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
If you want to splurge:

I am pretty sure I have stayed here, years ago. It has gotten a lot fancier! If I’m right about that, it was owned and run by a German/N.European woman (?). And if I’m right, I think I remember that there is not a direct view over the river, though it has stunning views. Can you tell us a bit more?

I have stayed in a number of very beautiful, though less expensive places, too.

With a view over the Douro — Casal de Loivos (up in the hills over Pinhao,probably the best view of all) or Casa de Canilhas (Mesao Frio — a modern home with pool, but what got me hooked were the balconies looking down over the river)

Two pousadas, one in Mesao Frio, one in Alijó. SCANDAL — I just saw that the Mesao Frio pousada is permanently closed, it was so much more charming than the one in Alijó, though the pousadas are all very comfortable.

On the south side of the river, I stayed in Folgosa in Quinta da Azenha, very close to an upscale restaurant, DOC. Very good food, but I am not a foodie.

Near Regua, back to the north side of the river, I very much liked Casa das Torres (its address puts it in the municipality of Mesao Frio, but it is closer to Peso da Regua actually). And there is an arrow right outside the gate — I think someone has told me it’s the Camino de Torres, but I am not 100% sure.

I have been lucky to spend four or five weekends in this area over the years, and always look for new places to stay. The entire valley is gorgeous. I’m sure if I dig my memory some more, I can come up with other places, but this is a good start for people looking to drive around the Douro. I have consistently been pleased with the places I’ve found on this website. Lots of options all over the country, but I may be getting off-topic, sorry!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
There are nice, inexpensive day-long boat tours (with lunch) from Porto up the river, and then back to Porto by train in the afternoon. I think there are overnight boat tours as well. Well worth it, IMHO.

Thanks for the ideas. That little train is very appealing. Perhaps a train to Pinaro, overnight there and then the little train the next day.

Hello,
I am hoping to spend a few days in the Douro Valley before embarking on a Camino from Porto next spring. Has anyone done something similiar? What were the highlights and where did you stay? Any suggestions welcome. Thanks. ( PS we would be using local transportation).

Hi, maybe not what you are looking for if you want to travel by public transport, but will throw it in anyway.

I did the Valley of Gold walk with Inn Travel https://www.inntravel.co.uk/walking-holidays/portugal/valley-of-gold many years ago. It was one of the best trips I have ever done, and I highly recommend it. Not cheap, but good value.

Another time I did a day trip from Porto on one of the boats that go up the river. That was also very good, starting with breakfast on board, negotiating several locks upstream, lovely scenery, and ending with a visit to one of the wine farms late afternoon. Bus back to Porto, and slept the whole way.

Definitely an area worth visiting.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
You didn’t mention if you were allowing time in Porto. It’s definitely worth at least a couple of days in Porto. On one Camino, I took a small group all day tour to the Duro Valley. We visited a winery, an Olive plantation and took a boat ride on the Duro river. It was really nice. I’m not sure how COVID impacts these tours but I’m sure a little googling will give you the answers. Bom Caminho

The Douro valley in a very beautiful area of Portugal which I have driven through in winter during easier, happier times years past. The great vineyards terraced along the river were lovely in the gentle sunlight. Helpful then for planning was this useful on-line source

http://www.roughguides.com/destinations/europe/portugal/porto-rio-douro/douro/

Carpe diem!
Here is another new source for the Douro

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

Most read last week in this forum

I would like to walk the river route in Tui next month. I can see on google maps exactly where it starts, but it seems a bit overgrown. Has anybody used this route this year or last year...
Hello, my friend of 50+ years and I are on our first Camino walk. We are looking for: 1) safe, comfortable hostels in Lisbon; 2) stages from Lisbon to Porto (via Tomar) in about 16 days...
Hi I have searched everywhere to see if there is a luggage service from Lisbon to Porto. I know there is from Porto to Santiago, but Lisbon ???. Thanks for any info.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back