• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

down jacket - am I being ridiculous?

stelrey

Time of past OR future Camino
CF - March/April 2014
I have a very lightweight down jacket that weighs in at a mere 204 grams. I'm considering bringing it on a March/April camino. What do you think...useful? Or overkill?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Not ridiculous if you have room to spare, but excessive. I just got back, finishing late April and struggled with the same question. Ultimately I opted no as I was already overweight. I didn't need it but it would've made a nice insurance policy. I'm not an outdoorsman and I was worried about getting cold.

Turns out, when you're hiking, wearing three or four layers plus lugging a pack keeps you plenty warm. Down won't help much in the rain either, even under goretex. By the time you reach the albergues in the afternoons, it's warmed into the fifties, so it would see little use sitting around with the other peregrinos drinking wine.

I'd skip it. Bring a fleece vest (in addition to a fleece jacket) if you're nervous. Buen Camino.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
larsd4 said:
I'm not an outdoorsman and I was worried about getting cold. (...) By the time you reach the albergues in the afternoons, it's warmed into the fifties, so it would see little use sitting around with the other peregrinos drinking wine.
Thanks for the feedback! If I were packing for a long spring hike in the woods, I would bring an insulated jacket, mainly for wearing around camp in the evening. I'm having a bit of a hard time wrapping my head around the fact that the camino isn't exactly the same kind of hiking. If it's warm enough in the evening - especially considering the fact that I'd probably be indoors - then maybe there's no point. I'm also considering bringing the down jacket instead of a sleeping bag, so I can just wear it in my silk liner if I get cold.

Corwen said:
Sounds great for 200ish grams- what is the brand?
It's not one of the "premium" sportswear brands. I got it on clearance at a local chain store for 75% off. Here it is (although I didn't buy it from this site):
http://www.coatsco.com/en/nuage-215-716 ... nteau.html

I love the colour (Mine's blue), and it's surprisingly warm for how light it is (women's size large = 204 grams).

No you aren't being ridiculous imho. I have a down jacket that folds up into one of its pockets which I took on my first two or three caminos when I was walking in winter and early spring. It worked for me and made an excellent pillow! I've since got used to layering my clothes and when I feel cold in the evening I wear a merino wool base layer. But technical clothing can be expensive and if you don't want to invest I'd go with what you've got.

Regards

John

No, you aren't.

I am leaving next week and bringing one with me. I am only bringing a liner to sleep with so if it gets too cold at night I figure I have something warm to sleep in.

The way the weather has been so crazy lately I figure why not. We got really warm weather last week and I almost changed my mind until the weather turned cold again this week. Better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it. This is my only "just in case" item.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
We have super light mont bell down jackets which go on every trip. Nothing is as warm for the weight and they make great pillows.

Don't underestimate how hard it is to get warm when tired and hungry.

Hmmm. Lots of conflicting opinions. As it stands, I'm leaning towards bringing it. It's lighter than any of my other mid-layers, and I don't feel comfortable bringing just lightweight base layers and a single lightweight fleece. So - for now at least - I'm putting it back on the list. I don't expect to walk in it. I see it more as evening wear.

It is wet and very cold on the Camino prior to Burgos at the moment. Lots of snow on the hills South of San Millan ( relevant to Logrono to Burgos ). We got hailed on yesterday! take wet gear and warm gear if you can.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh yeah, I also recommend waterproof gloves, with grippy bits on the fingers. That's about the only thing I am missing as the Icy Spanish wind and rain whips at my hands each day!

Thanks for the heads-up, jastrace! A friend of mine is an ultralight backpacker. He suggested carrying latex gloves and wool liners instead of heavy mittens/gloves. Then you can wear the wool gloves to keep warm, and layer on the latex gloves if it's raining or terribly windy. They're cheap and only weigh about 15 grams per pair. That's what I'm leaning towards, although I have to test them out in a rainstorm.

So here's what I'm planning on wearing/carrying, with the idea that I'll be wearing one set and carrying one set, so that I always have something dry to wear. Of course, I can always pile on all of it if it's absolutely freezing.

2x merino wool t-shirts (95 grams each)
2x merino wool long-sleeved shirts (150 grams each)
2x lightweight hiking trousers (250 grams each)
2x merino wool underwear (28 grams each)
merino wool sports bra (100 grams)
3x wool socks and polyester liners (100ish grams each set)
merino wool long johns (170 grams)
lightweight fleece hoodie (270 grams)
ultralight windshirt (150 grams)
fleece hat (30 grams)
buff (30 grams)
wool gloves, latex gloves (70 grams combined)
raincoat/pack cover (either an altus or a packa - so either 350ish or 430ish grams)
rainpants (168 grams)
down jacket (204 grams)

So that's a little under 3 kg for clothes (both wearing and carrying). I'm pretty comfortable with my packing list. I realize that it's more than a lot of people might bring, but I really want to make sure that I stay warm and dry. It's just the down jacket that I keep waffling back and forth on...I probably won't make up my mind until the very last minute on that one!

Your list looks good to me ;-) I am also in the "pro down jacket" camp. March / April can be pretty chilly anyway, especially higher up in the mountains and remember, not all albergues are heated or heated enough. SY

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
SYates said:
Your list looks good to me ;-) I am also in the "pro down jacket" camp. March / April can be pretty chilly anyway, especially higher up in the mountains and remember, not all albergues are heated or heated enough. SY
That's actually the main thing that keeps pushing me over to the "yes" side - the thought of having a down coat to sleep in on a freezing night!

I am presently on Camino between pamplona and Logrona. Every day I wear 5 layers (- admitedly I get cold easily) of which two is an ultra lightweight down gilet and similar jacket. Have not regretted it one second - we have been bombarded with snow, rain, wind and low temperatures! Other essential item is a good poncho such as ferrino and never be without a buff - very versatile item.

antjie said:
I am presently on Camino between pamplona and Logrona. Every day I wear 5 layers (- admitedly I get cold easily) of which two is an ultra lightweight down gilet and similar jacket. Have not regretted it one second - we have been bombarded with snow, rain, wind and low temperatures! Other essential item is a good poncho such as ferrino and never be without a buff - very versatile item.
thanks for the weather report! It must be really good if you're able to hike in two layers of down. I hope it warms up for you soon! I sympathize...I get cold easily too.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.