• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down jacket or synthetic vest for use on early March CF ?

Moment_MAN

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Frances (April/March 2017)
Hi all,
Am planning to arrive in StJPdP on March 8th and am debating on whether to bring an insulated down puff jacket at 417 grams vs an insulated synthetic vest that weighs 368 grams? I have synthetic / merino tops for layering in addition a light weight fleece quarter zip sweater, a runners wind jacket and Gortex like rain jacket .

I feel that it is important to have some additional insulated clothing to use when resting or use in evenings at higher elevations . I was intending to use the down jacket as a pillow.

Am curious what peoples advise will be on the need for added insulated layer for the upcoming trip at this time of year? If yes, would they take the vest or the down puff jacket? I do not have a problem with space nor weight as my pack falls at 8.5% of my body weight.

Counting the hours now....
:)
Bests MAN

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would take the vest. In fact, I do carry a down vest that I find more useful than a jacket with sleeves. I love to wear it in the evenings, over or under my fleece or under my rain jacket, and can also wear it to bed without feeling too constricted. On the rare occasion that you might need more insulation while walking, it would be less bulky and not so hot as the jacket with sleeves.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I bought a down jacket on sale, and cut the sleeves off (adding a binding around the seam) since I wanted a vest. Then I decided that my sleeping bag was not warm enough for cold nights in March, so I sewed the 2 sleeves together to make a little blanket (oddly shaped, about 2' by 3'). Now I can sleep in the down vest and put the blanket over my lower body. I will put this to the test in a few weeks!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
For me, I'd choose the down jacket. I think it's quite likely you will come into some very chilly/cold weather that time of the year both at altitude and areas like the Meseta with winds from the snow covered mountains a few days ahead hitting you head on. We walked in April/May last year and my Northface Powerball (synthetic puff) jacket got used a lot. If the weather is wet it will be important to get your Gortex jacket on to keep from becoming a soggy, lumpy mess but if it's raining in March you'll probably be thankful for the few extra degrees of heat the two jackets will bring to you. Buen Camino!!

Hi all,
Am planning to arrive in StJPdP on March 8th and am debating on whether to bring an insulated down puff jacket at 417 grams vs an insulated synthetic vest that weighs 368 grams? I have synthetic / merino tops for layering in addition a light weight fleece quarter zip sweater, a runners wind jacket and Gortex like rain jacket .

I feel that it is important to have some additional insulated clothing to use when resting or use in evenings at higher elevations . I was intending to use the down jacket as a pillow.

Am curious what peoples advise will be on the need for added insulated layer for the upcoming trip at this time of year? If yes, would they take the vest or the down puff jacket? I do not have a problem with space nor weight as my pack falls at 8.5% of my body weight.

Counting the hours now....
:)
Bests MAN

Neither.

COLD rule is Clean, Overlapping, Layers, of Dry Clothes.

One jacket does not meet all requirements, particularly Overlapping and Layers. And since you will sweat if you are too warm it doesn't meet Dry or Clean either.

The sweet spot is where you are just about uncomfortable.

Bring two fleece jackets instead.

You likely won't need to wear a jacket while walking with a pack ... you will generate lots of heat. The time you will need it is in the evening when you are running around doing chores and getting a meal.

That all being said ... down is more comfortable across a wider range of temperatures. It won't do anything but be useless weight if it gets wet though.

I bought a down jacket on sale, and cut the sleeves off (adding a binding around the seam) since I wanted a vest. Then I decided that my sleeping bag was not warm enough for cold nights in March, so I sewed the 2 sleeves together to make a little blanket (oddly shaped, about 2' by 3'). Now I can sleep in the down vest and put the blanket over my lower body. I will put this to the test in a few weeks!
Now here is a warm concept, hope it works out for you. Or maybe, like detachable pants that turn into shorts, we could have down jackets with detachable arms that could be used at night as long socks to put over the feet. All that would be needed would be a draw cord at the end. That could be a practical solution for cool weather sleeping, especially for me who at 6'3" always has his feet sticking out when sleeping. Maybe this product already exists. ??

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The time you will need it is in the evening when you are running around doing chores and getting a meal.

Or in the early mornings when you are just getting started. Back in the day we would begin our day's journey by walking for 5-10 minutes before pausing to remove layers and adjust our bootlaces.

It's always better to be just a bit too cool than just a bit too warm, within reason, of course. If you're a bit too warm you begin to sweat, placing moisture into your insulating layer(s). Not a good thing.

Slightly off topic but as C Clearly brought up the blanket . . .

I took a silk sleep sack and a down blanket. Unfortunately they were both slippery and I woke up repeatedly with the down comforter on the floor and me on the top bunk! :confused::eek::mad::oops:

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Slightly off topic but as C Clearly brought up the blanket . . .

I took a silk sleep sack and a down blanket. Unfortunately they were both slippery and I woke up repeatedly with the down comforter on the floor and me on the top bunk! :confused::eek::mad::oops:

Also off topic but I have a slippery down blanket too and just purchased some stick-on velcro circles made for fabrics. A couple at the bottom of the sleep sack & blanket, and one at the height of each shoulder should affix the two together nicely!

Also off topic but I have a slippery down blanket too and just purchased some stick-on velcro circles made for fabrics. A couple at the bottom of the sleep sack & blanket, and one at the height of each shoulder should affix the two together nicely!
What he said...:)

Or for a field-expedient solution one could make sticky-side-out circles of duct tape and place them in the same approximate locations.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
We walked in March and April with 6 days of snow with light merino wool T-shirt, One long sleeve merino wool long sleeve and a light fleece with rain jacket and had to shed most by the end of the day. I had a down vest in my pack but never wore it.

We walked in March and April with 6 days of snow with light merino wool T-shirt, One long sleeve merino wool long sleeve and a light fleece with rain jacket and had to shed most by the end of the day. I had a down vest in my pack but never wore it.

Thank you for info. In my mind when walking vest or down jacket will be stowed away in the pack and stay dry. Wearing them when walking could only lead to overheating and getting excessively wet inside.
This morning I went out for walk it was - 8C with blustery wind brought the wind chill temperature down to - 18C. All that I was wearing was base layer, light fleece, thin synthetic hoodie and Gortex jacket. Nice and comfortable.
The questioning I have is if it would be good to have for safety reasons , after walking and walking breaks?
I am somewhat influenced by the climate I am currently in.
J F Gregory, how was the rain for you last year?

leaving in four days :);):D:cool:

Thank you for info. In my mind when walking vest or down jacket will be stowed away in the pack and stay dry. Wearing them when walking could only lead to overheating and getting excessively wet inside.
This morning I went out for walk it was - 8C with blustery wind brought the wind chill temperature down to - 18C. All that I was wearing was base layer, light fleece, thin synthetic hoodie and Gortex jacket. Nice and comfortable.
The questioning I have is if it would be good to have for safety reasons , after walking and walking breaks?
I am somewhat influenced by the climate I am currently in.
J F Gregory, how was the rain for you last year?

leaving in four days :);):D:cool:
There was a lot of rain sleet and hail the first two weeks. Most days it was cloudy, but the trail gets really muddy. We actually only had about 6 days of sunshine out of 33. If I could leave tomorrow to walk again I would.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Hello fellow Canuck, you must be flying out! I'll be behind you 2 weeks today from SJPP. Surviving Ottawa winters after growing up in North Bay I'm packing lighter than you for cold. Thick LaFuma fleece + light rain/wind jacket. Why 2 jackets (runner plus rain)? I've got my LaFuma fleece, 2 merino long sleeve tops 100 + 250) a merino t-shirt, warm leggings, waterproof Salomón pants (they really are virtually waterproof) and even in -15c w wind I only wore at most T-shirt, long sleeve merino, fleece and rain jacket....as I walk about 5 km/hour w my 5 kg pack on w poles I was warm from energy spent. After 2 test rain hikes, I ditched my golf rain paints as they were waterproof but hot and heavy. I got caught in rain while training one day in my salomon hiking pants only to discover their waterproof quality so I made my self short gaiters (more for mud) and adapted an old IKEA rain poncho with Velcro (simulates a Ferino trekking poncho) and if it's not good I'll pick up a rain poncho if need be alone no the way. Would love to hear your experience so look me up on FB and we can communicate along The Way

Hi Colette, Yes flying out tomorrow via AirTransat to Paris and then TGV to Bayonne. Wow, 5 kgs is good for this time of year. I finally did ditch the running jacket and am down to 9 kg . As per the cold snap we experiencing here, am looking forward to warmer climes ;).

Not much a fan of Facebook but will post a link to a Blog once I get it set up... time is a ticking.
Buen Camino MN

Hi Colette, Yes flying out tomorrow via AirTransat to Paris and then TGV to Bayonne. Wow, 5 kgs is good for this time of year. I finally did ditch the running jacket and am down to 9 kg . As per the cold snap we experiencing here, am looking forward to warmer climes ;).

Not much a fan of Facebook but will post a link to a Blog once I get it set up... time is a ticking.
Buen Camino MN

Moment_MAN from Montreal Email me if u want t be in contact colette.zaharie@gmail.com BUEN CAMINO and Bon voyage

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I have started thinking about my backpack as warm clothing as well. I know I'm comfortable while wearing it when I wouldn't be in just the t-shirt/wool scarf I tend to walk with in most temperatures above freezing...

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.