• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down Outdoor Blankets / Throws

Firewood

Time of past OR future Camino
March - April 2018! (Flights booked, gear being acquired, excitement building!)
Hello, everyone,

I'm collecting gear for my family's early spring Camino Frances. I was planning on buying lightweight down sleeping bags for my family, specifically the Feathered Friends "Flicker", which converts from a bag to a quilt. It's gotten great reviews and is under 2lbs, but, the price (350 USD and I'd need four of them) was holding me back. While looking for alternatives, I came across "outdoor blankets", which I'd never heard of before. Apparently, the concept is rugged, weather resistant but warm throws and blankets to use outdoors and indoors. There are synthetic-fill and down-fill quilts from various manufacturers. The Rumpl brand seems to be well reviewed, but there are other manufacturers, and REI (in the US) has a house branded version.

Anyone have any experience using these? I searched the forum but didn't get any results. I know the Costco quilts are well regarded, and the dedicated outdoors quilts like those from Enlightened Equipment have their followers, too.

After a fair amount of debating, I bit the bullet and bought a Rumpl brand down 1 person blanket from REI (so I can use their great return policy if need be). It's 1.4lbs, and the smaller throw version is only 1.1lbs. Price is still relatively expensive (150-200 USD based on size, but on sale for the holidays now). It arrived yesterday and is warm and appears well-made. The blanket has a DWR waterproofing and can be put in a conventional washer and dryer. I'll be using these in conjunction with silk liners, so am hoping they'll do for cool albergues in the Spring.

I just wanted to put this out there for people in a similar situation, and to see if anyone has used these before. I've no affiliation with any of these brands (other than giving them my hard-earned money). If I take them on the Camino with us, I'll post a review on how well they work.

-Jeff

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I’d say that you don’t need sleeping bags at all, so that you can save both money & weight by not bringing them. Use sheet sacks and Albergue blankets instead. If you regret your decision, Pamplona has outdoor stores, including Decathalon, where you can purchase an inexpensive sleeping bag.

I used a similar down quilt during our April/May walk and was happy to have it. Many nights were very cool and couldn’t see myself using the Albergue blankets. My brand was also >2lbs and uses a hydrodown filling that washes easily if necessary. The only challenge I had was keeping the blanket on top of the bed sometimes as it is pretty slippery surface and really meant for using when you lying on a mat on the ground... I intend to modify it by adding a narrow liner sheet attached by Velcro. The liner sheet will be under, the quilt over with just one Velcro point on each side, keeping it open and comfortable but not able to slide off to the floor. Hoping that will fix the problem.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms

Attachments

• sea to summit traveller.jpg
    sea to summit traveller.jpg
    278.1 KB · Views: 11
Although you don't need any more advice I will say that I was really glad I brought a sleeping bag for my Camino (end of April-June 5). I used a Sea to Summit Traveller I bag and it was perfect. Super light and compressed to about the size of a football. If I was cold I would add the albergue blanket to the top of it, though the blanket would usually slide off during the night.
http://www.seatosummitusa.com/product/?item=Traveller+Tr+I&o1=0&o2=0&o3=071RL

It was great fun to plan my Camino and the trip was amazing. Enjoy every minute!
FRL

I used a down bag from REI similar to this: https://www.rei.com/product/894947/rei-co-op-helio-down-45-sleeping-bag. I started SJPP in early May and although it got significantly warmer throughout the trip, i was always happy with this bag and slept with it open like a quilt. **recommend treating it with permethrin before you go, especially the zipper area...i got bitten but didn't take any hitchhikers home!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I tried the Costco down throw before I left and gave up on it. I have a treated sheet sleeping sack and the Costco down kept sliding off. I tried big safety pins and was unhappy with the results. I never thought of Velcro which might have worked. Rochavells didn't gave blankets so I was glad to gave my small down bag from REI.

I sewed a very large zipper all the way around a folded Costco Down Throw so I can use it as a sleeping bag or open it fully to use a a quilt. Weighs about a pound.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I would fully endorse the Snugpak Jungle Blanket for any temps down to 17C. If you go to bed with your clothes / jackets. But, never sleep overheated as getting out of bed in the morning will be very cold and stay that way due to moisture caught inside clothing. If this happens, change clothes and dry out bedding etc. before walking and after going to bed the next evening.

The best thing about cold / cool weather walking is the reduced necessity to wash everything every day. Socks and undies still need it though.

Last edited:
Costco down throw - cut down in size and with snaps added to attach to sleeping bag liner. Cost $29. Weight negligible. Works fine, as long as you have a way of stopping it from sliding off.

The REI Helio 55 degree bag is 1lb 9oz and costs only $60. You don't need a Down bag and you will regret it if it gets wet. The Helio bag opens like a quilt so you can just throw it over you, or zip it up like a mummy bag. It's what we used in May when we walked the Primitivo. It was too hot on most nights to need a sleeping bag so we just used it as cover.
I've also used it backpacking in warm weather. Get a compression stuff sack for it and it fits perfectly in the bottom sleeping bag compartment of backpacks designed to carry a bag.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I walked early spring this year and stayed mostly in municipals and parochials. Many had blankets but not all. I had a one season sea to summit down traveller sleeping bag 400 gms. If doing it again I would definitely carry this sleeping bag (it’s done two caminos with me) or a Costco quilt or any of the many other equivalent options. Hard to go past the Costco quilt for cost. ;)
Have a very buen camino.

There are a few reasons why I will always carry my own sleeping bag in addition to a silk liner. Not every albergue has blankets or enough for every bunk. In one albergue this year I discovered dead bed bugs embedded in the blankets. We have no idea how often some of the blankets are laundered, in some albergues it might be only at the end of the season (only a guess, I have no factual information for this).

Also to note, the weather in May crossing the mountains can be quite different than at lower elevations. Both years I was lucky enough to be between snowstorms when in the mountains while the lower elevations were having a heat wave.

Another note is that in one town on the meseta on May 1, even though it was freezing out, the heating was turned off, well, because the heating is always turned off for the season on May 1 regardless of temperature.

I think that the OP is thinking in the right directions, researching options of cost, warmth and weight.

Too many opinions on the sleeping bag/down throw/liner with alberque blankets debate -- they all work to one degree or another, depending on one's personal preference and budget. The one good result of a thread like this is that one can see that there are many options, each with its own set of pros and cons to evaluate. My only comment regarding the waterproof outdoor blankets mentioned in the OP is that you're not sleeping outdoors on the Camino, so why do you need a waterproof bag or blanket?

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
I’d say that you don’t need sleeping bags at all, so that you can save both money & weight by not bringing them. Use sheet sacks and Albergue blankets instead. If you regret your decision, Pamplona has outdoor stores, including Decathalon, where you can purchase an inexpensive sleeping bag.
For the Frances, yes, but for VDLP no as municipal albergues don't alway have blankets especially in Murcia.

Thanks for all the replies. We'll be flying into Spain at the end of February, and it'll be four of us: myself, my wife, and our two children. For my own peace of mind and to ensure the children are warm & happy, we will be taking some sort of quilt or sleeping bag.

Jozero - I'm glad to hear you had good results with a similar product. This one certainly is slippery, too. I'll have to try it with the silk liners and see how they do in combination.

Kaixo, FRL, HedaP, NovaSofi, Michelle, & AlaskaDiver - Thanks for the recommendations for other products. I'll look into the Traveller, Snugpack, and Helio as well.

Too many opinions on the sleeping bag/down throw/liner with alberque blankets debate -- they all work to one degree or another, depending on one's personal preference and budget. The one good result of a thread like this is that one can see that there are many options, each with its own set of pros and cons to evaluate.

Jim - You hit the nail on the head, there! I do appreciate all the options that this thread has brought up.

Thanks again, everyone!

-Jeff

Costco down throw - cut down in size and with snaps added to attach to sleeping bag liner. Cost $29. Weight negligible. Works fine, as long as you have a way of stopping it from sliding off.
I put buttons on the top my small down quilt, and button holes at the top of my silk liner. Then I tuck the quilt inside the liner.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Walked in April/May and only took a liner. Brought thermal long johns that I wore as PJ's and as a base layer on chilly mornings. Never was cold. I like to have items that do two things - and keep the weight down.

We stay in a couple of Albergues that did not supply blankets. We have 40 degree sleeping bags that weigh 19 oz. we purchased at "going out of business sale" for $30 each.

I carried a sleeping bag for my first Camino (Aug- Oct 2016) and used it twice. Purchased a Costco down throw and will bring that along with my silk on my next Camino .... :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Jeff, I got the FF Flicker about three years ago.

After many years of using all sorts of bags, blankets, and such.... I finally broke down and got the FF Flicker.

It is, no doubt, the best of the best. Very versatile!

I love that I can use it as a sleeping bag tent camping, hotels, A'berg, etc. And then use it as a over quilt when I am sleeping in hammock. Compresses very small.

Quality is the best.

Jeff, I got the FF Flicker about three years ago.

After many years of using all sorts of bags, blankets, and such.... I finally broke down and got the FF Flicker.

It is, no doubt, the best of the best. Very versatile!

I love that I can use it as a sleeping bag tent camping, hotels, A'berg, etc. And then use it as a over quilt when I am sleeping in hammock. Compresses very small.

Quality is the best.

Marty,

Thanks a lot! It really sounds like an excellent bag, and I really want to get a Flicker. But I just can't bring myself to buy them for the whole family. I also know that if I spend that much on gear, I'd wind up being overly concerned about the bags and taking care of them. Something that's lower cost and that we can re-use once we get home and toss around and I don't have to worry about if it gets dirty or damaged is more my speed. I think I'll keep the Flicker on my personal wishlist, but go another route for our family's Camino.

-Jeff

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
@Firewood, I recommend that you gear test your choice at home. Take the bedding from your bed, turn the thermostat down low, and experience at least one night with the liner/bag while wearing whatever garment(s) you plan to sleep in on Camino. What is comfortable for one person is not necessarily comfortable for another.

@Firewood, I recommend that you gear test your choice at home. Take the bedding from your bed, turn the thermostat down low, and experience at least one night with the liner/bag while wearing whatever garment(s) you plan to sleep in on Camino. What is comfortable for one person is not necessarily comfortable for another.
That is what I did, with several combinations, until I decided on a lightweight down bag.

That is what I did, with several combinations, until I decided on a lightweight down bag.
That’s how I found out that the silk liners that so many people like don’t work for me.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
That’s how I found out that the silk liners that so many people like don’t work for me.
In general I can't handle the feel of synthetics. But I ended up taking a poly liner instead on Camino 2 because I couldn't stand the slick slippery feel of the silk liner.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.