• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down sheet comparison?

Purple Backpack

Time of past OR future Camino
CF’12 VF’16 VP w/variants 2022/23 Norte’23
Cleaning old gear out of the garage and am thinking of adding a down sheet. Liners alone don't work for me on chilly nights and the tiny foot box on my lightweight bag is a bit confining. After perusing the forum and online reviews, it looks like the Sea to Summit Traveler and the Montbell Spiral Down Hugger sheet are the two most often recommended. Cost, weight are roughly the same so a couple of questions:

1. I've never used a bag/liner without a hood. Has anyone come up with a solution if the mattress is less than ideal when there is no hood on the bag? Not crazy about sleeping with my face against a rain jacket...
2. Anyone care to comment on comparing these two products?
3. Is there an equally light down sheet that offers a hood?
4. I tried finding a bag that would reverse from a liner on one side to an insulated side but can't find one. Anyone run across a "flip" sleeping bag to cover different temperature ranges?

I'm such a gear head....

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This is slightly off topic as it's another product option but I'm toying around with a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme (that does have a hood built in as well as a drawstring around the neck) and a cheap Costco down blanket. Because the down blanket slips off the top very easily I'm thinking to add some velcro points along the bottom edge and sides to keep it in place. Should also allow for a pretty good layering sleep system depending on how cold it gets. Warmth wise I think it should be comfortable down to 5-6C (45F?) and both components are very compact and light.

I've never used a bag/liner without a hood. Has anyone come up with a solution if the mattress is less than ideal when there is no hood on the bag? Not crazy about sleeping with my face against a rain jacket...
I'm having a hard time understanding your question. Assuming you sleep in beds ( as opposed to tent camping), do you not use the pillow? My liner has no hood, but rather something of a "pillow pocket" into which one can stuff a pillow, or a down puffy, etc. Works just fine.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
When are you walking? I walked in April/May and brought a very lightweight silk liner that had something like a hood (a large extension of the silk on the bottom). I also had the Sea to Summit Traveler, which I used as a quilt. And I brought an old pillowcase, which did not, of course, fit the pillows.

So the pillowcase went across the pillow, then the extra material on my liner went on top of that. My face/head never touched the pillow itself.

Hope this helps.

... Has anyone come up with a solution if the mattress is less than ideal when there is no hood on the bag? ...

I have used a stuff/dry sack stuffed with my clothes as an emergency pillow in the past and it works well for me.

Buen Camino, SY

... Assuming you sleep in beds ( as opposed to tent camping), do you not use the pillow? ...

There are still a few albergues around that don't provide pillows - just mattresses ;-) Buen Camino, SY

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I have a large size silk bag liner, it has a fold over for a pillow. Inside of the silk liner I cut to fit a fleece liner (cut the zipper off). I can sleep under just the silk, or under the fleece and silk. The fleece doesn't fall off the silk liner because it is inside.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Cleaning old gear out of the garage and am thinking of adding a down sheet. Liners alone don't work for me on chilly nights and the tiny foot box on my lightweight bag is a bit confining. After perusing the forum and online reviews, it looks like the Sea to Summit Traveler and the Montbell Spiral Down Hugger sheet are the two most often recommended. Cost, weight are roughly the same so a couple of questions:

1. I've never used a bag/liner without a hood. Has anyone come up with a solution if the mattress is less than ideal when there is no hood on the bag? Not crazy about sleeping with my face against a rain jacket...
2. Anyone care to comment on comparing these two products?
3. Is there an equally light down sheet that offers a hood?
4. I tried finding a bag that would reverse from a liner on one side to an insulated side but can't find one. Anyone run across a "flip" sleeping bag to cover different temperature ranges?

I'm such a gear head....
Big Agnes makes a flip bag. Well one side insulated other just material. Think it's called horsethief or the likes.

I have a large size silk bag liner, it has a fold over for a pillow. Inside of the silk liner I cut to fit a fleece liner (cut the zipper off). I can sleep under just the silk, or under the fleece and silk. The fleece doesn't fall off the silk liner because it is inside.
I do the same thing with my 7 ounce down throw blanket.

I'm usually not the ""Princess and the Pea" type person, but I really hate the feel of that Sea to Summit liner. Some kind of rayon/polyester/jersey... eeech. I don't think I'd like silk, either. Am looking for some kind of sheet that feels more like cotton, but is lightweight.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
You didn't say what time of year you are walking, and as others have mentioned this will make a difference in your needs. For my spring Camino I made my own "flip" bag. I used the sea to summit liner and had a down throw cut and sewn to one side of the liner. I used the Black Diamond throw they used to sell at Costco. It was inexpensive and worked brilliantly. On the warmer nights I slept on top of the down side and on the colder nights I slept under the down side. Total weight was around 1 lb.

You didn't say what time of year you are walking, and as others have mentioned this will make a difference in your needs. For my spring Camino I made my own "flip" bag. I used the sea to summit liner and had a down throw cut and sewn to one side of the liner. I used the Black Diamond throw they used to sell at Costco. It was inexpensive and worked brilliantly. On the warmer nights I slept on top of the down side and on the colder nights I slept under the down side. Total weight was around 1 lb.

That down quilt from Costco is great and astonishingly cheap. I got one, too. I like your idea of attaching a sheet, but then you can't really wash the sheet during your camino unless you wash the down quilt with it, which I wouldn't want to do. I'm thinking maybe velcro or snaps? The down quilt does tend to slide off.

That down quilt from Costco is great and astonishingly cheap. I got one, too. I like your idea of attaching a sheet, but then you can't really wash the sheet during your camino unless you wash the down quilt with it, which I wouldn't want to do. I'm thinking maybe velcro or snaps? The down quilt does tend to slide off.
I had snaps added to mine. But you have to reinforce the material where the snaps go, or the super thin material will tear. 1 row of snaps on the duvet, another on the liner seem. You can also have snaps on two opposing sides, and then use it as a sleeping bag, using a drawstring system to create a foot box.

My Yeti VIB 150 bag (no longer made) has no hood. So for a pillow covering I took a summerweight, single layer, infinity scarf. I believe it is made from jersey - wonderfully soft and stretchy and accomodated any size pillow I encountered. Would be very easy to make from a fabric remnant too. Just ensure there is some stretch to the fabric and, of course, that it is lightweight.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
This is slightly off topic as it's another product option but I'm toying around with a Sea to Summit Reactor Extreme (that does have a hood built in as well as a drawstring around the neck) and a cheap Costco down blanket. Because the down blanket slips off the top very easily I'm thinking to add some velcro points along the bottom edge and sides to keep it in place. Should also allow for a pretty good layering sleep system depending on how cold it gets. Warmth wise I think it should be comfortable down to 5-6C (45F?) and both components are very compact and light.
Thanks, Jozero. I thought of doing this, as a lot of Forum members seem to like a similar system. I'm trying to keep the weight down, though. My liners weigh about 5 ounces and I think a small downie would be about a pound. This is about half a pound heavier than the Traveler or Spiral Down Hugger. Now I know it's obsessive and geeky of me....

So maybe, at the end of the time, I'll use a system like this, too!! Thanks!

I'm having a hard time understanding your question. Assuming you sleep in beds ( as opposed to tent camping), do you not use the pillow? My liner has no hood, but rather something of a "pillow pocket" into which one can stuff a pillow, or a down puffy, etc. Works just fine.

Hi, Always appreciate your posts and input! I am likely the only person in the world who doesn't use a pillow. Love piles of them for decoration but sleep without one. My liner has a hood but I really need something more than a liner for upcoming fall Camino. My one pound sleeping bag is like sleeping in a tight cocoon or, as I try to imagine it, a very long, closed down parka. Not very comfy but lightweight.

I guess I may be asking for the impossible...a one pound sleeping bag with a wider footbox so not so claustrophobic! Thanks again!

Thanks, Jozero. I thought of doing this, as a lot of Forum members seem to like a similar system. I'm trying to keep the weight down, though. My liners weigh about 5 ounces and I think a small downie would be about a pound. This is about half a pound heavier than the Traveler or Spiral Down Hugger. Now I know it's obsessive and geeky of me....

So maybe, at the end of the time, I'll use a system like this, too!! Thanks!
I love the obsession too... much to my wife's chagrin! Good luck :)
Camino Geek in solidarity,
Jordon

When are you walking? I walked in April/May and brought a very lightweight silk liner that had something like a hood (a large extension of the silk on the bottom). I also had the Sea to Summit Traveler, which I used as a quilt. And I brought an old pillowcase, which did not, of course, fit the pillows.

So the pillowcase went across the pillow, then the extra material on my liner went on top of that. My face/head never touched the pillow itself.

Hope this helps.

Did you like the Traveler? I have a feeling I'll end up taking both a liner and something like the Traveler but was hoping for just one sleeping piece, like a Traveler with a hood. I'm going mid-fall and have had miserably cold and wet weather on past trips so want more than just a liner. Please let me know what you think of the Traveler! Thanks so much!

I have used a stuff/dry sack stuffed with my clothes as an emergency pillow in the past and it works well for me.

Buen Camino, SY
Thanks but don't use pillows. I'm weird... Trying to avoid taking a liner just to put under a bag but realizing I am way overthinking this one!!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Is it warm enough? Great idea and am always amazed at how creative forum members get to fine tune their gear!

Big Agnes makes a flip bag. Well one side insulated other just material. Think it's called horsethief or the likes.

THANKS!!!! THAT'S WHAT I'M LOOKING FOR!!! Now I just have to find it....

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I'm usually not the ""Princess and the Pea" type person, but I really hate the feel of that Sea to Summit liner. Some kind of rayon/polyester/jersey... eeech. I don't think I'd like silk, either. Am looking for some kind of sheet that feels more like cotton, but is lightweight.

Me, too! I don't like the feel of liners and prefer the weight of even a lightweight bag. But not a fan of the mummy in shrink wrap feeling either. Will let you know if I find something good!

I have an Enlightened Equipment Revelation. It is more expensive than the Costco quilt, but you may want to take a look at the design when retrofitting another quilt with velcro etc.

I looked at the Revelation, which got rave reviews on the Appalachian Trail forum. But it looks like there are straps on the sides, as it is really meant to strap to a sleeping pad. Is that weird when using as folded over like a sleeping bag? Does cold air make it uncomfortable? Thanks!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I had snaps added to mine. But you have to reinforce the material where the snaps go, or the super thin material will tear. 1 row of snaps on the duvet, another on the liner seem. You can also have snaps on two opposing sides, and then use it as a sleeping bag, using a drawstring system to create a foot box.

Girl, you need to start a hiking equipment business! I am continually amazed at your creative suggestions ( I still can't figure out how you took old straps off an Osprey pack and put them on another one!). Sadly, I don't think I have your skills...

My Yeti VIB 150 bag (no longer made) has no hood. So for a pillow covering I took a summerweight, single layer, infinity scarf. I believe it is made from jersey - wonderfully soft and stretchy and accomodated any size pillow I encountered. Would be very easy to make from a fabric remnant too. Just ensure there is some stretch to the fabric and, of course, that it is lightweight.

Like this idea...thanks!

But it looks like there are straps on the sides, as it is really meant to strap to a sleeping pad. Is that weird when using as folded over like a sleeping bag? Does cold air make it uncomfortable? Thanks!
Yes, the straps are intended for a sleeping pad, but the straps are removable (small fastek buckles). Quilts are generally lighter than sleeping bags because they the eliminate the weight of the insulation on the sleeping surface. The insulation on the sleeping surface is generally compacted by body weight and prohibits the loft of the insulation to retain warmth.

I just googled big agnes horse thief. Two has them. And on clearance. Great product. Bc.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Did you like the Traveler? I have a feeling I'll end up taking both a liner and something like the Traveler but was hoping for just one sleeping piece, like a Traveler with a hood. I'm going mid-fall and have had miserably cold and wet weather on past trips so want more than just a liner. Please let me know what you think of the Traveler! Thanks so much!

Sorry this is late, I'm traveling. I love the Traveler because it is light, doesn't weigh much, scrunches down small, and fully unzips. Since I'm not home right now, I can't check to see if it has a hood, I don't think so, but that's not important to me.

Since my liner is silk, it is very light in weight. Both of these worked for me in my April/May walk. I do sleep on the cool side, so there were nights when I was snugly tucked into both. And as the weather warmed, I'd sleep in the liner and throw the Traveler on top like a quilt, which I could move freely on or off my body.

I would definitely keep this combination, it worked in all weather. There were a few very chilly nights when I put on more clothes in addition to this combination.

Hope this helps!

Am walking in August and had planned on just bringing my sleeping bag liner . Am I going to need something warmer? I can always wear extra layersto bed or should I plan to bring something warmer? Reading the comments on this thread I am second guessing myself now.

Am walking in August and had planned on just bringing my sleeping bag liner . Am I going to need something warmer?
Consider September/October to be like April/May.
Cold wet weather may come early - like winter's grip may not loosen quite as early as expected.
A light very sleeping bag, unzipped as a quilt, should suffice for August, zipped up for September.
Save extra layers for an emergency - like having to stay unexpectedly at an Albergue with no heating.
Good travelling and buen Camino,
Gerard

EDITED: Tks Anemone del Camino - I got my months mixed up

Last edited:
Am walking in August and had planned on just bringing my sleeping bag liner . Am I going to need something warmer?/QUOTE]

Hi, No worries for August with a liner. I'm going later and will likely run into chilly weather. Buen Camino!!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Nappy pins. They double as pegs on the washing line too.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.