• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down throws at Costco are back

GreatDane

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
CF to Burgos Sept/Oct 2014, Burgos to Astorga April 2016, Astorga to SdC 2017
Noticed the down throws at Costco are back (nothing like buying down when it is 40C out) so I picked one up. 152cm x 177 cm (60" x 70") 449g including stuff sack. I was able to smash the sample one in stuff sack at Costco down to the size of a large grapefruit (small cantaloupe). Very slippery fabric, 4-5 different colors including purple. Can't beat the price though - $19.99 US!

So it's about 110g heavier than my SUL down sleeping bag but I never use the bag as bag and usually just drape it over me as a throw anyway. When it's no longer scorching hot here (like in October), I'll give it a trial sleep.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I absolutely LOVED using mine last May. In an effort to eliminate bedbugs, many places are no longer supplying blankets. Also, when they had blankets, I often wondered when was the last time they were washed. I felt like Linus at the end of the day, cuddling up in my throw. If only I could figure out how to convert my lightweight silk liner into a fitted twin bottom sheet, life would be perfect! (I don't like feeling confined when I sleep.)

I absolutely LOVED using mine last May. In an effort to eliminate bedbugs, many places are no longer supplying blankets. Also, when they had blankets, I often wondered when was the last time they were washed. I felt like Linus at the end of the day, cuddling up in my throw. If only I could figure out how to convert my lightweight silk liner into a fitted twin bottom sheet, life would be perfect! (I don't like feeling confined when I sleep.)

I finally cut my liner into a rectangle to use as a bottom sheet.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Noticed the down throws at Costco are back (nothing like buying down when it is 40C out) so I picked one up. 152cm x 177 cm (60" x 70") 449g including stuff sack. I was able to smash the sample one in stuff sack at Costco down to the size of a large grapefruit (small cantaloupe). Very slippery fabric, 4-5 different colors including purple. Can't beat the price though - $19.99 US!

So it's about 110g heavier than my SUL down sleeping bag but I never use the bag as bag and usually just drape it over me as a throw anyway. When it's no longer scorching hot here (like in October), I'll give it a trial sleep.

$19.99? How can they sell something with down for that cheap? I couldn't find it online.. can you post a link?

I have bought a number of these and took one on my Portugese this May. It is perfect if you are short (I'm 5'4") but it is supper slippery and tends to get away from you during the night.

I rigged mine with snap bottons so I can close it up like a sleeping back, bit to curb it slipping tendencies I am planning on making a liner that can be snapped to the duvet.

Best deal ever!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
They retail for about 100$ on amazon. As to how the feathers are gathered, well, same as your duvet and winter jacket, especially whem made in...

Costco is clearly able to get great prices from theor vendors, waht evee the reason.

Don't start thinking you fancy quilt is not putting animals through the same routine even if the price doubles or tripples

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I bought one last fall , in Canada they are $29. Seems like an incredible value. I have only used it once so far and it was very warm for the weight. The name brand is Double black diamond.

$_12.JPG

The throws don't show up on the Costco site. I also paid around $30 in spring, but I noticed they dropped the price a couple of weeks later. The ones they are selling now may be liquidation of stock and only available until they're gone? (15.8 ounces/448 grams including stuff sack)

@GreatDane, I'm curious why you would consider taking the throw if you have a lighter weight sleeping bag? With the throw, you definitely need some kind of liner or sheet adding even more weight. I'm assuming you are like me and prefer the freedom of a throw?

@JillGat, my liner is rectangular... did you unstitch the bottom and side to make it a larger rectangle? I often just slept on top of mine, but didn't stay in place. Were you able to tuck it under the mattress or do something to hold it in place? I did put in a long zipper in my liner to make entry easier, but it still twisted while I slept and felt like a straight jacket.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I don't know the weight exactly but it is lighter and warmer than my 600 gram sleeping bag.

Still waiting to see if someone can send a link to the down throw from the Costco online site, or give the full name of it?
It is not available on line.

$_12.JPG

@GreatDane, I'm curious why you would consider taking the throw if you have a lighter weight sleeping bag? With the throw, you definitely need some kind of liner or sheet adding even more weight. I'm assuming you are like me and prefer the freedom of a throw?
I prefer the freedom of a throw!!! Can't stand to have my tootsies all crammed up in a hot mummy bag. I already bring a SeaToSummit ThermoLite bug sprayed 230g liner that I lay on (I also have a S2S bug sprayed silk liner 170g but prefer the feel of the fleece one) I have been thinking of just bringing a second extra light weight sarong instead of a liner next trip, I have a couple in the <75g range and usually pack one.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
As a newbie, I feel pretty smug now!:) I bought this Cosco throw months ago for my Sept/ Oct. Camino! I am very short (5') and felt that this little thing was just a fantastic option to use for a light down sleeping "bag". I am planning to secure the sides with safety pins if needed. I also have a silk liner, a must for me as I cannot stand sleeping with a lot of clothes on... but I can adapt if needed!

The reason Costco is so reasonable is because of their bulk buying. Companies seek out Costco to sell their product.

So,
I'm taking my Costco down blanket.
Do you think bug treating and taking a fitted twin sheet would work?

Yes, you should do that. Spray the blanket and the sheet, both sides, with permethrin and hang in the sun. Then check the beds before you lie down and you'll know you've done everything you can do. https://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz

By the way.. costs quite a bit more than the Costco throw, but this down quilt from Enlightened Equipment might be my most favorite possession. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Down is wonderful as warmth for weight in sleeping gear. But don't take down for the camino unless you have slept in it for a few days first. It is a common allergen and I am very allergic to it. When I go into the mountains I take down regardless, because of the warmth, but I take lots of antihistamines and have to increase my dosage over time. I wouldn't want to have to use it for more than a month at a time.

...By the way.. costs quite a bit more than the Costco throw, but this down quilt from Enlightened Equipment might be my most favorite possession. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
Oh yes, the Revelation is on my want list but I share the down bag with my husband (we take separate trips) so we justified its $$$ cost that way. If I were buying just for myself, the Revelation is the way I'd go.

As a newbie, I feel pretty smug now!:) I bought this Cosco throw months ago for my Sept/ Oct. Camino! I am very short (5') and felt that this little thing was just a fantastic option to use for a light down sleeping "bag". I am planning to secure the sides with safety pins if needed. I also have a silk liner, a must for me as I cannot stand sleeping with a lot of clothes on... but I can adapt if needed!
Got mine too! I'm heading out of SJPdP September 18. I'll be the one with the plum coloured Costco blanket.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. Never knew about them before. I purchased two yesterday for my wife and I.
Buen Camino

I prefer the freedom of a throw!!! Can't stand to have my tootsies all crammed up in a hot mummy bag. I already bring a SeaToSummit ThermoLite bug sprayed 230g liner that I lay on (I also have a S2S bug sprayed silk liner 170g but prefer the feel of the fleece one) I have been thinking of just bringing a second extra light weight sarong instead of a liner next trip, I have a couple in the <75g range and usually pack one.

What are you guys 'bug-spraying' your sleeping solutions with? Will promethean work? I have used that backpacking and it's amazing for ticks and mosquitoes; never had to battle bed bugs before.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I ended up taking my sleeping bag and regretted it, if I ever go back I'm bringing my down throw.

I wonder if they will make their way to the Australian Costco. Hope so.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I get claustrophobic legs also. I unstitched the bottom of my sleepsack and inserted a drawstring.

I got a lightweight rectangular summer sleeping bag that can be unzipped into a flat cover.

The size is only 155 x 177 so not really long enough for even the average person considering that it will have to go over the feet. It's also heavy for what you get. Using 20D nylon instead of 10D, 700 fill power duck down instead of 800 or 900 etc. Made in China. It's inexpensive, yes, but better options exist such as the Enlightened Equipment Revelation. Costs 10 times as much but I would be 100 times happier. LOL

http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/

As I posted previously, if you are 5'4" or even 5'5" it is just fine in terms of length. And my doctor tells me that is the average height of Canadian women. So for those of us I think that a 90% discount over the Enlightened products is quite a deal. If only it was not so slippery so it stays on the bed. Next time will add some snap buttons to attach it to my liner or whatever I bring as a mattress cover.

Fyi: average heights around the world: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_average_human_height_worldwide

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
What are you guys 'bug-spraying' your sleeping solutions with? Will promethean work? I have used that backpacking and it's amazing for ticks and mosquitoes; never had to battle bed bugs before.

I spray the OUTSIDE of my down blanket with permethrin and also the OUTSIDE of my pack. So far, no bedbugs and I've walked the Camino for many years.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017V635H0/?tag=casaivar02-20

Is this close to the same blanket that is sold at Costco? I don't think they are there now, so I was looking for something similar on amazon. This is the same brand and size, but it weighs a bit over a lb, according to the amazon stats.

I'm looking for something to use along with my sea to summit liner. I tend to run hot. And I'll be walking from mid March to the end of March.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B017V635H0/?tag=casaivar02-20

Is this close to the same blanket that is sold at Costco? I don't think they are there now, so I was looking for something similar on amazon. This is the same brand and size, but it weighs a bit over a lb, according to the amazon stats.

I'm looking for something to use along with my sea to summit liner. I tend to run hot. And I'll be walking from mid March to the end of March.
That's exactly it.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Oh excellent! I have one question...it looks a bit slippy. For ladies who are ermmm...both hot and cold at night, does it get clammy? If it isn't too bad with the clammy aspect, I am definitely getting this.

Oh excellent! I have one question...it looks a bit slippy. For ladies who are ermmm...both hot and cold at night, does it get clammy? If it isn't too bad with the clammy aspect, I am definitely getting this.

HI Eva,
It looks exactly the same. I used mine with a silk liner. Worked great together. Only problem is, it is slippery. You might want to use a safety pin to attach the throw to a side of your liner, so it doesn't fall off. A bit annoying when you're in a top bunk.
It's certainly warm enough. You're more likely to be too warm then cold. Most people, unfortunately, prefer to sleep with windows closed. Which makes for hot and stuffy room.
Buen Camino

It does not get clammy, bit kt does get away from you. I will now work on a way to secure it to my liner.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I use mine INSIDE my liner and it doesn't get away. It is large enuf to be under me and wrap around to cover the top and sides of me too. I'm 5' 7" and I make sure my feet and body are covered. I don't want it around my neck anyway.

I use mine INSIDE my liner and it doesn't get away. It is large enuf to be under me and wrap around to cover the top and sides of me too. I'm 5' 7" and I make sure my feet and body are covered. I don't want it around my neck anyway.
How do you do that? Wrap yourself in it and then slip in the liner?

How do you do that? Wrap yourself in it and then slip in the liner?

Fold it in half lengthwise and slip it into the liner. Then I crawl in the same as I do when it isn't there. I just make sure that there are two layers above me and two below me.

HI Eva,
It looks exactly the same. I used mine with a silk liner. Worked great together. Only problem is, it is slippery. You might want to use a safety pin to attach the throw to a side of your liner, so it doesn't fall off. A bit annoying when you're in a top bunk.
It's certainly warm enough. You're more likely to be too warm then cold. Most people, unfortunately, prefer to sleep with windows closed. Which makes for hot and stuffy room.
Buen Camino

Yep, it's the same one.
I tried to use a liner with my quilt last year and I couldn't stand the microfiber or the claustrophobia. Am thinking of just taking a small treated sheet next time.

Well I ordered one to go with my liner, which is not silk. I think it is some sort of knit (sea to summit)? I'll have safety pins if I need to attach it at night. It just seems like two layers might be better than one bag for the hot/cold thing. Thanks everyone!

Well I ordered one to go with my liner, which is not silk. I think it is some sort of knit (sea to summit)? I'll have safety pins if I need to attach it at night. It just seems like two layers might be better than one bag for the hot/cold thing. Thanks everyone!
Yeah, I would think that throw combined with a sleeping bag liner should cover all your bases especially if you turn it more bag like with safety pins.
Also many of the albergues have blankets available to supplement your liner and throw if need be. I know some on here have an aversion to them, but I used them all the time and never got the cooties from it, ha ha.
One night in Galicia the temperatures dipped kinda low. I only had a liner. The hospitalero running the albergue loaned me a sleeping bag (big heavy one) that had been left on a donativo as they had no blankets. I didn't care who had slept in it before. I just wanted a warm night's sleep.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Yeah, I would think that throw combined with a sleeping bag liner should cover all your bases especially if you turn it more bag like with safety pins.
Also many of the albergues have blankets available to supplement your liner and throw if need be. I know some on here have an aversion to them, but I used them all the time and never got the cooties from it, ha ha.
One night in Galicia the temperatures dipped kinda low. I only had a liner. The hospitalero running the albergue loaned me a sleeping bag (big heavy one) that had been left on a donativo as they had no blankets. I didn't care who had slept in it before. I just wanted a warm night's sleep.

Cooties I"m not concerned about...bedbugs??? Well, I might be a little concerned about those. ;) I think this will work though. Thanks!

Cooties I"m not concerned about...bedbugs??? Well, I might be a little concerned about those. ;) I think this will work though. Thanks!
Cooties being a generic, comical term for any type of nastiness from sleeping on a bunk, or whatever, previously slept in by hundreds before you, ha ha.
As far as bedbugs go, don't sweat them. Never saw or was bit by one during more that 120 nights on the CF. Though some would say otherwise, I think it's much ado about nothing.

If you are using a silk liner you reall
Fold it in half lengthwise and slip it into the liner. Then I crawl in the same as I do when it isn't there. I just make sure that there are two layers above me and two below me.
If you want to save some weight you could actually cut the blanket approximately in half and put some binding on the edge.

If you are using a silk liner you reall

If you want to save some weight you could actually cut the blanket approximately in half and put some binding on the edge.

Very true, but I like it top and bottom. It turns my liner (more of a sleep sak than liner) into a temporary sleeping bag.

I love Sea to Summit liners. Until mine was stolen off my bed last spring, I had the green one with permethryn. I just bought the silk with extension panels for my next walk.

And yes, nappy pins are a much simpler idea than what I was thinking of, or the double sausage technique.

I mean keep the length, but make it narrower.
I know you did. The width wraps around me so that it is over and under me. I like it like that as it is just like a sleeping bag that way. I am in my own little cocoon.

Never saw or was bit by one during more that 120 nights on the CF. Though some would say otherwise, I think it's much ado about nothing.
Again, and hopefully formthe last time, bbigs do not affect people the same way. Even if you are botten, you may never show a sign of a bite. Or you can show a regular bite or a horific one. So for the love of God, please stop saying these are not an issue just because you are part of those who don't show a sign of them when bitten.
Btw: discussion had 12 hours ago witn exterminator at my house for Poweder Post Beattle.

Again, and hopefully formthe last time, bbigs do not affect people the same way. Even if you are botten, you may never show a sign of a bite. Or you can show a regular bite or a horific one. So for the love of God, please stop saying these are not an issue just because you are part of those who don't show a sign of them when bitten.
Btw: discussion had 12 hours ago witn exterminator at my house for Poweder Post Beattle.
ha ha....noooo, I am actually someone who has never been bitten and never saw a bedbug on the CF, and never talked to anyone that had been bitten by bedbugs in any of the albergues I stayed in. I honestly think I would know if I had contact with biting insects.

Yeah, I ended up with a few bed bug bites, but they didn't itch or swell up or anything, which surprised me because I really react to mosquito bites. If they hadn't been in a visible spot on my body I might never have known that I had them. I also met people with bites that were totally miserable from them, and had to get medication.

ha ha....noooo, I am actually someone who has never been bitten and never saw a bedbug on the CF, and never talked to anyone that had been bitten by bedbugs in any of the albergues I stayed in. I honestly think I would know if I had contact with biting insects.
CASE IN POINT. Just because you don't react to them does not mean they did not bite you, nor exist.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I get claustrophobic legs also. I unstitched the bottom of my sleepsack and inserted a drawstring.

I got a lightweight rectangular summer sleeping bag that can be unzipped into a flat cover.
I also have a lightweight sleeping bag and it's been perfect for my Spring Caminos. I've never used it as a blanket, but have occasionally unzipped it partway to throw a leg out.

I purchased mine from Amazon for $22 U.S. It's called "Nature Hike". I especially love the fabric as it's not too slippery (yuk), nor does it get bunched up and twisted...it's just right. It also comes in its own stuffsack the size of a cantelope. One downside though is the size is not real generous, so a somewhat larger person might feel too constrained.

I also have a lightweight sleeping bag and it's been perfect for my Spring Caminos. I've never used it as a blanket, but have occasionally unzipped it partway to throw a leg out.

I purchased mine from Amazon for $22 U.S. It's called "Nature Hike". I especially love the fabric as it's not too slippery (yuk), nor does it get bunched up and twisted...it's just right. It also comes in its own stuffsack the size of a cantelope. One downside though is the size is not real generous, so a somewhat larger person might feel too constrained.
I dislike the feel of slippery, not to mention
Yes, you should do that. Spray the blanket and the sheet, both sides, with permethrin and hang in the sun. Then check the beds before you lie down and you'll know you've done everything you can do. https://www.rei.com/product/768970/sawyer-permethrin-pump-spray-24-oz

By the way.. costs quite a bit more than the Costco throw, but this down quilt from Enlightened Equipment might be my most favorite possession. http://www.enlightenedequipment.com/revelation/
I agree on using Permathrin to spray your throw or sleeping bag. I personally choose to spray only the outside of my bag to reduce the use of chemicals against my body. I also bring a super lightweight fitted sheet (purchased a twin set at a Dollar store for a mere $5. U.S.), and spray it, too. I bring the pillowcase that comes with the set, but do not spray it.

I spray the outside of my back pack as well and keep all my belongings packed away at night. I've never been bitten by bedbugs to my knowledge, and I definately sleep better knowing Ive taken my best precautions. I have seen a few bedbugs a couple of times, (not on me) when lights were turned on in the morning. I also do the standard bed check when I arrive at the albergue.

I dislike the feel of slippery, not to mention

I agree on using Permathrin to spray your throw or sleeping bag. I personally choose to spray only the outside of my bag to reduce the use of chemicals against my body. I also bring a super lightweight fitted sheet (purchased a twin set at a Dollar store for a mere $5. U.S.), and spray it, too. I bring the pillowcase that comes with the set, but do not spray it.

I spray the outside of my back pack as well and keep all my belongings packed away at night. I've never been bitten by bedbugs to my knowledge, and I definately sleep better knowing Ive taken my best precautions. I have seen a few bedbugs a couple of times, (not on me) when lights were turned on in the morning. I also do the standard bed check when I arrive at the albergue.

Which reminds me...what on earth would you say to the owner or hospitalero if you did see evidence of bedbugs?

Yeah, I ended up with a few bed bug bites, but they didn't itch or swell up or anything, which surprised me because I really react to mosquito bites. If they hadn't been in a visible spot on my body I might never have known that I had them. I also met people with bites that were totally miserable from them, and had to get medication.
To my knowledge I have never been bitten by a bedbug, but I'd rather be bitten by 10 mosquitos than just one bedbug that crawls slowly into bed with you in the dark, feasting slowly on your blood, then slowly crawling back off...horrid!

Which reminds me...what on earth would you say to the owner or hospitalero if you did see evidence of bedbugs?
You simply tell them. They will welcome having been told so that they may take action asap and try to limit the damage. Remember, we are the ones bringing the bbugs in the albergue, so the hospy has nothing to be embarrased about.

Also, if you suspect you may be carrying them, tell the hospy the second you set foot in the albergue. Hospies will help you with washing and drying.

Unfortunately, I have experience with this. :)
Bedbugs were discovered in the room I was in at the municipal albergue in Astorga. There were six of us in the room, and we left around 6:00 am after the bedbugs were discovered. There was no hospitalero on duty at that time, so I wrote two notes in Spanish that bedbugs had been found in that room. I left one in the room, and the other at the front desk.
I stopped walking for the day in Rabanal del Camino, and told the hospitalera at the albergue that I could possibly have bedbugs. She had me empty my backpack which she put in a plastic bag and sprayed with some kind of bug spray. She gave me a large bath towel to wear while she washed and dried all my clothes, bedding, towel, etc. I got the impression that the hospitaleros are experienced with bedbugs and know what to do to keep from spreading them.
Fortunately, it was an icky, rainy day, so there was not much else to do other than sit around in a towel chatting with the other pilgrims. :p

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I told them. In my case they admitted they had a problem. They had us put all our gear in large garbage bags when we arrived and we wondered why...until later. This happened on the Norte.

Unfortunately, I have experience with this. :)
Bedbugs were discovered in the room I was in at the municipal albergue in Astorga. There were six of us in the room, and we left around 6:00 am after the bedbugs were discovered. There was no hospitalero on duty at that time, so I wrote two notes in Spanish that bedbugs had been found in that room. I left one in the room, and the other at the front desk.
I stopped walking for the day in Rabanal del Camino, and told the hospitalera at the albergue that I could possibly have bedbugs. She had me empty my backpack which she put in a plastic bag and sprayed with some kind of bug spray. She gave me a large bath towel to wear while she washed and dried all my clothes, bedding, towel, etc. I got the impression that the hospitaleros are experienced with bedbugs and know what to do to keep from spreading them.
Fortunately, it was an icky, rainy day, so there was not much else to do other than sit around in a towel chatting with the other pilgrims. :p

As much as I like new adventures, I hope that is an experience that I never have.

Most read last week in this forum

I’m leaving soon for CP and again attempted to use what’s app without success. I was trying to call a hotel in Spain, it just rings but nothing else. A few years ago I tried using in within Spain...
I realize every ounce matters when carrying backpack and not shipping luggage ahead. However, I know that the Spaniards are big into meat and potatoes, and not so much produce. I am thinking of...
Hola, I gearing up to start my 1st CdS and have seen people recommended sleeping bag liners to protect against bed bugs. Do these help or is it a myth? Should I add the extra weight of bringing one?
I’ve been stressing about charging my devices, so just want to make sure. I have this 4port Powered USB hub which I’m connecting to an adapter to fit European (at least Spain, since I know it...
Michael @wisepilgrim had mentioned a new feature that he was developing for Wise Pilgrim, and it looks like it is now in operation. You can check the app and see in real time how many beds are...
Well…… about $400 usd in socks and liners later and about 160 miles. I live in California near the Sierra mountains so we have some good trails and heat- I wanted to find my perfect combination...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back