• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Down v synthetic bag?

K

karenfromcali

Looking for advice on the best type of sleeping bag for a March camino. Down is considerably lighter but concerned about it getting damp/wet. Any thoughts?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I carry a down bag in its own stuff sack, at the bottom of a pack that is protected with a rain cover when it rains. It has never gotten damp, even over several days of rain. It might get wet if I were to fall into a creek or stream or leave the pack sitting in a pool of water, but otherwise I am pretty confident it won't be a problem.

If you are concerned, you could get a waterproof stuff sack and use that instead of the stuff sack provided with the bag.

Regards,

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
LOVED my 1.3 pound down bag from Moosejaw. wrapped it in the bottom of my back in a couple plastic bags, and had a rain cover over my backpack on drenchers. had absolutely no problems. soooo light, so warm, so easy to shake bed bugs out of LOL :)

A regular down bag demands a bit more care and lacks the versatility of other bags. In the event that there is a bug infestation an albergue is often not qualified to clean/sterilize a regular down bag and they can easily be ruined or made less than functional for a time. You may want to look at other down bags using hydrophobic down or DriDown technology. The down is treated to retain loft longer, dry quickly and is easier to handle.

You may want to review this comparison between down and synthetic filler. Synthetics are often cheaper and more versatile then down bags, but it is really a matter of choice. Both are good choices for the Camino.

Anything more than an ultra light polyester sleeping bag is overkill in my opinion. 700g is quite an acceptable weight. In my never ending quest to refine my pack list, I tried a heavier and warmer sleeping bag last Camino and found out that it was far too warm. Most nights in the Albergues I spent sweating with the zip completely open, which is more prone to bed bug bites. The down bags are also really expensive.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
I took a down bag, 800gms, 0 degrees, for an autumn Camino. I replaced the original stuff sack with a waterproof one. I discarded that then just stuffed the bag into the bottom of my pack and loaded everything else on top of it. Worked fine, never got wet - I'm an Altus poncho man. This bag has now done a spring and an autumn Camino.
Regds
Gerard

Looking for advice on the best type of sleeping bag for a March camino. Down is considerably lighter but concerned about it getting damp/wet. Any thoughts?
I have goose down. Its very light. Rolls up very small also. Rated to minus twenty celsius...with a wool liner that may be good for and warm nights or if i need to cope with really cold weather, it adds and extra 8 degrees.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
If you soak a sleeping bag, a down bag will absorb more water and loose more loft than a synthetic bag. If it gets a just bit wet, say 100 ml of water, well, that 100 ml will dry at the same rate from a down bag as a synthetic bag. Water evaporates at the same rate from all materials, it is just that down can hold more.

No bag is "warm when wet"---- a hot tub is warm and wet. We use down bags and jackets whenever we have to carry them in something other than a car!

The other thing interesting about down is that it is cheaper now than it was 30 years ago.

Down is comfortable over a wider range of temperatures than synthetics. You'll be sleeping indoors so if you pack it so it doesn't get wet there is little risk it will get wet.

I like down. I've used down bags on hiking and kayaking trips for many years. I carry it in a waterproof stuff sack and line it with a garbage bag.

There are ten very important rules for hiking that you must always follow.

Rule number one is that thy sleeping bag shalt not get wet.

The other nine rules are petty bureaucratic trivia.

I have been using a simple cheap synthetic lightweight hike and bike bag for the past six pilgrims walks I have done.

Down is nice to have, a little more expensive but most of the season I personally think it is over kill unless you are one that freezes in the months of July and August.

Synthetic bags are easier to keep clean - most can be machine washed without too much fuss - something to consider should you get a case of bed bugs which my wife did not once but twice on her latest camino.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm leaning towards the down with a waterproof cover but still worried about needing to wash it if the dreaded bed bugs attack :eek:

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'm leaning towards the down with a waterproof cover but still worried about needing to wash it if the dreaded bed bugs attack :eek:

In March you probably run a lower risk of getting bed bugs - they seem to get worse as the season progresses.

And in March if this past spring is anything to go by, a down bag might be nicer than synthetic - might be a little chilly in the hills - even some snow in some places

In March you probably run a lower risk of getting bed bugs - they seem to get worse as the season progresses.

And in March if this past spring is anything to go by, a down bag might be nicer than synthetic - might be a little chilly in the hills - even some snow in some places

Thanks jirit. Then i will go with the down :)

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thanks jirit. Then i will go with the down :)

Karen, I wouldn't bother with a cover. Just stuff your bag into the bottom of your pack and if your pack is waterproof, voila! Or buy a nysil cover for the entire pack. I've walked the Camino many times, and my down bag has never gotten wet, even in the worst downpours.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-

I have treated my sleeping bag (and backpack) with permethrin ... while this won't stop the bugs from biting you if your arm hangs out (I had that experiance) the rest of you is safe and it will dramatically reduce the risk of one climbing on board as a passenger for future nights!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
Hello all - thank you all so much for all of the guidance on what is not my only first camino but first hike over about 5 miles! I've headed a lot of advice about backpacks and trekking poles and...
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
While reading through one of the more recent water bottle vs. hydration bladder debates, I was reminded of something I came across a few weeks ago, bookmarked, and promptly forgot about until said...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.