• PLEASE NOTE: Please think twice before you travel to Spain now. More here.

Search over 55.000 Camino Questions

A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Down with "celebrities"

Caminando

Veteran Member
I read that some "celebrity' is making a film on the camino. Sh. McL wandered the camino, and lots of people got their knickers in a twist about seeing a "star". To be fair, it seems she tried to be incognito.

But I'm tired of celebrities who are worth as much as the local plumber or teacher, and I'm tired of those who get all excited about such people. What empty lives.

Just a little rant. I feel better now.

sillydoll

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
2002 CF: 2004 from Paris: 2006 VF: 2007 CF: 2009 Aragones, Ingles, Finisterre: 2011 X 2 on CF: 2013 'Caracoles': 2014 CF and Ingles 'Caracoles":2015 Logrono-Burgos (Hospitalero San Anton): 2016 La Douay to Aosta/San Gimignano to Rome:
I don't know. I think its a natural reaction.
I'm not a celebrity watcher but I'd be excited to see Martin Sheen or his son on the camino. On another forum a pilgrim who met the actor said that he was very down to earth and happy to chat to 'real' pilgrims. He described the film they are making as "a type of Wizard of Oz story where he meets up with 3 other characters, each of them searching for something missing from their respective lives, as they walk the Camino".
I remember someone meeting the crew that were making the 'Within the Way Without' dvd. They were so excited to meet the 'stars' who were actually ordinary people conscripted to be in the film. And then there were those who were thrilled to see Stephen Hawkins in Santiago.
Celebrities are just people, working for their living, like you and me. They just make more money! :?

Caminando

Veteran Member
sillydoll said:
Celebrities are just people,....

Yes my sentiments exactly. That's why I get fed up with all that adulation, as if they were somehow better or more interesting than others.I value an actor in the same way I value a craftsman, no more and no less.

I don't like the increasing cult of celebrity, and think it's deeply corrosive, for to elevate such people is to diminish the rest of us. I find this at its worst in the US, but Europe is getting pretty close.

I just hope this character's film about the Camino isn't at the level of McLaine's or Coehlo's books, which would bring tears of disbelief to a glass eye. :shock:

I realise that with this view, I'm certainly in the minority, of course.

Caminando

Veteran Member
Yes but he floated in on a boat(maybe) and avoided all the fuss and screaming fans. That's in his favour I think.

And he didnt write a crazy book!

But hold on, you're right - millions have flocked to get in touch with him over the centuries. So he's back in the bad books as a star.

A

Anonymous

Caminando said:
Yes but he floated in on a boat(maybe) and avoided all the fuss and screaming fans. That's in his favour I think.

And he didnt write a crazy book!

Marvellous! love it! :lol: :wink: :wink:

Caminando

Veteran Member
falcon269 said:
http://www.variety.com/article/VR1118008863.html?categoryid=3738&cs=1

In this link there is a phrase "Santiago de Compostella is a huge piece of medieval real estate".

I'm losing the will to live, and I refer to the "cash nexus" I already mentioned.

Advertisement

Booking.com