• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Downhills after Leon

Ahaj

I am completing my Camino journey by walking the second "half" from Leon in June. In recent weeks I have had a fall and have a broken shoulder but it also seems to have caused some very severe dizziness/ vertigo. I am managing once I get vertical to cope most of the day and do some fairly decent walking but I am worried about dizziness on uneven surfaces and particularly steep descents. Having done the first half as far as Leon I think any of those descents would be fine and I will have poles for stability. I will if I need to use baggage transport to help with my shoulder and I may have an answer to the dizziness by then as I see a neurologist in May but my question is about the descents after Leon. Can anyone highlight any particularly steep and uneven stretches that I can then be prepared for?
Thank you in advance.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Yes, @Ahaj there is a particularly difficult descent from not long after the Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo. It is probably the hardest downhill of the whole CF, rocky and at times narrow, so no possibility of zigzagging. However there is a road alternative all the way - longer but also more gentle. Once you get to El Acebo, there are still a few steepish bits on the way down to Molinaseca but I don't think they are too bad. Again, there is a road alternative.

Take the lower route from Villafranca del Bierzo to O'Cebreiro, rather than the mountain route. There is a fair drop from O'Cebreiro down to Triacastela but I don't remember any of it being particularly difficult.

An elevation chart does not really tell you much about the surface but if you want to see the elevations for each stage have a look at the Gronze website - open the etapa you want and scroll to the bottom of the page. Here.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
As Kanga notes walking into El Acebo as well as the descent from El Acebo down to Molinaseca can be difficult walking on loose shale and scree. Walking off the camino path along the left side verges of the LE 143 road is much easier especially in heavy rain, fog and winter snow.

Following the bicycle path from Ruitelan up to O Cebreiro is also easier than the regular camino climb. See more here re the bicycle path.

Good luck with your recovery and Buen camino!

Last edited:
I completely agree with Kanga and mspath. In 2010 I sprained my ankle on the nasty descent to El Acebo. The road is much easier.

Many thanks for these most helpful replies. I shall plan accordingly! It really is so fantastic that this forum exists to answer all our questions and share advice. Thank you all.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I also support Kanga/MS Path - I also rode my bike on the alternate road to O'Cebreiro and also rode the rode down from the Cruz. My suggestion - see how you vertigo is progressing between Astorga and Rabanal if its "not happy" you may need to consider an alternative form of transport. As I said I was on a bike and thus have no direct experience of the walking track from the Cruz to El Acebo but I would have to warn you about the road - if I remember correctly there are some very steep/winding sections and the road shoulders (the part where the tar-seal ends and the drains start) in places is very narrow. So maybe (just maybe) consider organising a taxi to meet you at the Cruz and take you down to Molinaseca. I also support the advice on track selection after Villafranca Del Bierzo. Whilst the low track does parallel the highway there is a guard rail between you and the cars/trucks in the narrow sections. There are also many cafes where you can stop and have a coffee/rest as needs be. Buen Camino.

Thank you to all who have given advice on the section near El Acebo and Molinaseca. After reading guide books and posts in this forum regarding these two sections, I was concerned about my ability to negotiate my way down these descents. I have severe osteoporosis and I would hate for my Camino to finish because of a fall. Thank you Ahaj for posting your question. I wish you a Buen Camino.

my question is about the descents after Leon.
On my Fitbit there was more "up" crossing O Cebreiro than any other day on the Camino. There is a lot of "down" too, so virtually every elevation gain is lost by the time you get to Triacastela. With a lot of descents from the Iron Cross, I have now sworn to myself never to do it again! It is just not fun anymore. ;)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I also support Kanga/MS Path - I also rode my bike on the alternate road to O'Cebreiro and also rode the rode down from the Cruz. My suggestion - see how you vertigo is progressing between Astorga and Rabanal if its "not happy" you may need to consider an alternative form of transport. As I said I was on a bike and thus have no direct experience of the walking track from the Cruz to El Acebo but I would have to warn you about the road - if I remember correctly there are some very steep/winding sections and the road shoulders (the part where the tar-seal ends and the drains start) in places is very narrow. So maybe (just maybe) consider organising a taxi to meet you at the Cruz and take you down to Molinaseca. I also support the advice on track selection after Villafranca Del Bierzo. Whilst the low track does parallel the highway there is a guard rail between you and the cars/trucks in the narrow sections. There are also many cafes where you can stop and have a coffee/rest as needs be. Buen Camino.
Thank you that is very helpful

Yes, @Ahaj there is a particularly difficult descent from not long after the Cruz de Ferro to El Acebo. It is probably the hardest downhill of the whole CF, rocky and at times narrow, so no possibility of zigzagging. However there is a road alternative all the way - longer but also more gentle. Once you get to El Acebo, there are still a few steepish bits on the way down to Molinaseca but I don't think they are too bad. Again, there is a road alternative.
I agree 200%.... descending into El Acebo was for me the hardest stretch of the entire CF (note ....aside from the Pyrenees maybe, I wouldn't know there we started in Pamplona ) For us it was also the last 3 km of that day....so we were tired too. I actually injured 1 toe nail on that stretch....I didn't lose it but it was close ha ha . I tried both my sandals and shoes on that stretch...either way was hard.

Could not see if you are using trekking poles already. Otherwise please do, they are easily purchased from home or on arrival and the surest thing to a steady gait when surface is lacking..
Be a surefooted , four legged walking machine in no time.
I used collapsible Leki Vario Micro sticks that folded down to 38 centiometers and was easily stored inside my backpack...others might do..

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Thank you to all who have given advice on the section near El Acebo and Molinaseca. After reading guide books and posts in this forum regarding these two sections, I was concerned about my ability to negotiate my way down these descents. I have severe osteoporosis and I would hate for my Camino to finish because of a fall. Thank you Ahaj for posting your question. I wish you a Buen Camino.
You can always walk the road down from Cruz de Ferro but of course that has its own hazards - getting flattened by a car or tour bus. The shale gullies down to El Acebo were quite unpleasant. Wouldn't want to do it in rain

I remember seeing a phone number for a taxi on a large rock on the descent to Molinaseca. You could easily call a taxi if need be-- the path is right near the road. Buen camino!

On my Fitbit there was more "up" crossing O Cebreiro than any other day on the Camino. There is a lot of "down" too, so virtually every elevation gain is lost by the time you get to Triacastela. With a lot of descents from the Iron Cross, I have now sworn to myself never to do it again! It is just not fun anymore. ;)
Knowing too much about all the "fun" with the elevations and steep tracks, is like your husband telling you "here comes another contraction" while he is watching the monitor during labor, before you can even feel anything. I wanted to kill him:mad: I think I would rather just find out as I go and deal with it. If I know too much, it might take all the "fun" out of it.:p

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Many thanks for these most helpful replies. I shall plan accordingly! It really is so fantastic that this forum exists to answer all our questions and share advice. Thank you all.
I am leaving SJPP on May 12th. I don't know how long it would take me to get to Leon, but if I were anywhere near there, You could walk with me.

Recommended solutions:

A: Take the road walk down from Cruz de Ferro to Molinaseca;

B: Call a taxi to take you down the hill. The use of these 'taxi hops' as well as using inter-city buses is fairly common, especially for pilgrims with specific special needs, like yours.

Remember, as long as you walk the FINAL 100 Km from Sarria (actually 111 Km from the top of the stairs) you qualify for the Compostela, if that is a motivating factor.

I hope this helps...

I am completing my Camino journey by walking the second "half" from Leon in June. In recent weeks I have had a fall and have a broken shoulder but it also seems to have caused some very severe dizziness/ vertigo. I am managing once I get vertical to cope most of the day and do some fairly decent walking but I am worried about dizziness on uneven surfaces and particularly steep descents. Having done the first half as far as Leon I think any of those descents would be fine and I will have poles for stability. I will if I need to use baggage transport to help with my shoulder and I may have an answer to the dizziness by then as I see a neurologist in May but my question is about the descents after Leon. Can anyone highlight any particularly steep and uneven stretches that I can then be prepared for?
Thank you in advance.
sorry to hear about your shoulder. only concerns are the stretch into ponferrada after the iron cross and the perhaps some of the descent into triacastela. everything else is very tame. buen camino.

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Thank you for all the help everyone! I am
Sitting here in Molineseca after a tough day but I MADE IT! No vertigo issues but you will
All remember how your knees feel after that downhill! Medicating with vino blanco! Thank you all forum Friends!
Ahaj, congratulations!! I well remember that descent - well done making it down! Did you take the road in the end, or the rocky path?

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back