A donation to the forum removes ads for you, and supports Ivar in his work running it

Advertisement

Luggage Transfer Correos

Downloadable language app

Camino Badges

flying kiwi

Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances May/June 2017
Camino Portugues June/July 2019
Are there any good language apps that can be downloaded an used offline?

Kiwi-family

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Past: (2012, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018)-Frances, Baztan, San Salvador, Primitivo, Fisterra,VdlP, Madrid
I assume you mean language-learning.....I have been getting Pimsleur Spanish from the library. It's excellent. You can also buy the course, but if you were to do that I'd suggest getting it through Audible as it's much cheaper than buying directly.
There's Duolingo too which is basically grammar-translation methodology which has been game-itised. Some people love it. I don't love it, but I do keep using it.

Antonius Vaessen

Camino(s) past & future
2015-2016 VdlPlata - Sanabres
2016.Primitivo
2017 Salvador
2018 Norte (to Sobrado)
2019 Norte again
I used "Language transfer" and liked it very much. It builds on the many similarities between English and Spanish. It comes in the form of a dialogue between teacher and pupil.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
Are there any good language apps that can be downloaded an used offline?
I don't know if it's in the Apple Store, but in Play Store there's a free offline Spanish-English dictionary & translator by Dragoma.

André Walker

Never loosing my way: always standing on it
Camino(s) past & future
Holland-St.Jean, Frances, Del Norte, VdlP.
Dragoma has also a Portuguese-Englisch one.

Pilger99

Camino(s) past & future
addicted since 1999 (Aragones, CF), lots of caminos in Spain and Portugal since then
The dictionary dict.cc is also available as offline app.
Has many language combinations.

Walton

Camino(s) past & future
2016 Sjpp to Sdc. 2018 Lisbon to Sdc to Finisterre. Next up hopefully VDP or Del Norte.
I love the Ios app - Sayhi
You speak English into it and it translates what you say into the language you've chosen. You hear and see the translation. I recon it would be handy when you are communicating with someone who doesn't know English.
I use it to cheat a little while doing my Duolingo lessons sometimes. :eek:
Not sure if it has an offline mode though.

trecile

Camino Addict
Camino(s) past & future
SJPDP-Finisterre X 2 - 2016 & 2017, El Norte - Irun to Vilalba 2018
I love the Ios app - Sayhi
You speak English into it and it translates what you say into the language you've chosen. You hear and see the translation. I recon it would be handy when you are communicating with someone who doesn't know English.
I use it to cheat a little while doing my Duolingo lessons sometimes. :eek:
Not sure if it has an offline mode though.
Google translate does the same, and you can download language packs for offline use. You can also use the camera function to instantly translate text, like menus, signs, etc.

moxy

May your search through nature lead to yourself.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2016), Camino Primitivo (2018), Camino Português (2019)
I use Microsoft’s Translator app for iOS. It allows for offline use just like Google Translate, as @trecile mentioned. You can’t really go wrong with Google Translate but Microsoft’s app has a few features that I personally like. If you are looking for learning a language with offline capabilities, try Pimsleur. It will teach you the language the way the locals speak rather than learning how to speak like a robot (all too formal).

Bom Camino

David Tallan

Veteran Member
Camino(s) past & future
Frances (1989 and 2016), Portugues - from Porto (2018)
I use Microsoft’s Translator app for iOS. It allows for offline use just like Google Translate, as @trecile mentioned. You can’t really go wrong with Google Translate but Microsoft’s app has a few features that I personally like. If you are looking for learning a language with offline capabilities, try Pimsleur. It will teach you the language the way the locals speak rather than learning how to speak like a robot (all too formal).

Bom Camino
Out of curiosity, which features on the Microsoft app make it preferable for you? I have both on my phone but find myself using the Google app out of habit. But maybe there are reasons to switch.

moxy

May your search through nature lead to yourself.
Camino(s) past & future
Camino Frances (2015), Camino Ingles (2016), Camino Primitivo (2018), Camino Português (2019)
Out of curiosity, which features on the Microsoft app make it preferable for you? I have both on my phone but find myself using the Google app out of habit. But maybe there are reasons to switch.
I like the ability to translate web articles from safari into english and its accuracy. Also if the other person has the app, you can have a conversation with him/her and it does a good job at it. These are not unique features of Microsoft as there are other apps like it, but I was impressed with the accuracy of the web translation.
Note: In portuguese, it uses brazilian portuguese instead of european. I have both installed in my phone. It doesn’t hurt.

Book your lodging here

Get e-mail updates from Casa Ivar (Forum + Forum Store content)

Advertisement

Booking.com

Most downloaded Resources

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Forum Store

Camino Forum Store

Casa Ivar Newsletter

Forum Donation

Forum Donation
For those with no forum account, it is possible to donate here as well. Thank you for your support! Ivar

Follow Casa Ivar on Instagram

When is the best time to walk?

• January

Votes: 15 1.4%
  • February

Votes: 5 0.5%
  • March

Votes: 43 4.0%
  • April

Votes: 162 15.3%
  • May

Votes: 261 24.6%