Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Draft Invierno guide ready for review

peregrina2000

Staff member
Hi, peregrinos,
I have just completed a new draft of Rebekah's guide to the Camino de Invierno. I will eventually post it in the Resources section, but before that happens, I wonder if there are any forum members who have walked the Invierno, or parts of it, who would be willing to take a look and offer suggestions, criticisms, changes, etc. Just let me know and I'll be happy to send it along. I'm hoping to get it on the forum in the next couple of weeks, so I can then turn my attention to the Portugues guides. Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Hi, peregrinos,
I have just completed a new draft of Rebekah's guide to the Camino de Invierno. I will eventually post it in the Resources section, but before that happens, I wonder if there are any forum members who have walked the Invierno, or parts of it, who would be willing to take a look and offer suggestions, criticisms, changes, etc. Just let me know and I'll be happy to send it along. I'm hoping to get it on the forum in the next couple of weeks, so I can then turn my attention to the Portugues guides. Thanks and buen camino, Laurie

Hi there, I walked the Invierno route in July of this year using the guide & your extra notes ( along with notes from a local friend)...as far as Chantada...am just compiling notes & updates for the Aussie Camino group & will post back to you if there is any other info I can recall....would love a look over your updates too, the more info the better, it was a wonderful, if solitary, walk for me & I loved it...have saved the last stretch to walk next time with my partner I hope!!...thanks again for the groundwork & resource...makes it so much easier in the planning phase too. :)

Hi, bimblingalong, That's great news. I've sent you a message. Thanks so much. I hope to post the final product on the forum and it will undoubtedly be much improved by people like you! Buen camino, Laurie

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I finished walking it last week but took the road for several parts after finding the first half too much for my knees and arthritic ankle. I'd happily have a look at your guide to see what I missed. My decision to walk the Invierno was a bit last minute and unplanned - I did it with a few photos I took of the computer screen in a cafe which gave a list of lodgings (From 2011, I think). It was a special experience and seemed much tougher than the Ruta de La Lana which I walked last year, but that is probably a reflection on my current physical condition more than anything to do with the camino. I'd like to help, if I can.

Hi, peregrinos,
We recently, October/November 2014, walked the Invierno. I thought you might be interested in a few of our observations.

We saw no other pilgrims except one on the morning of the last day at a distance, although strictly it was the Via de la Plata by then and he must have walked along the road as there was no evidence of his passing along the marked way.

We used http://hiking.waymarkedtrails.org/en/relation/112925 , taking screen shots when we had access to wi-fi of the route. This served us well on the Camino de Madrid, on the few occasions when the route was not clear. The only times the route differed from the one marked here was out of O Barco when the marked way leaves the town to the left and on the way from Monforte when the option to go left and rejoin, mentioned by others as being problematic, was not marked anyway. The marked route follows the road until it goes off left. However, reading the advice of others, and as it had been very wet the day before, we followed the road all the way to Diomonti. It was a pleasant walk. On the whole though, the whole camino is extremely well marked. We did lose the signs for a while coming out of Lalin but ran into them after following the road signs to Santiago. On the way to Quiroga, there are a number of times when we seemed to be scrambling up hills just to avoid being on the main road and nearly didn't go up to the Castillo but in hindsight glad we did as the route after that is charming. On the way to Rodeiro, we also lost the route when only a few km out and ended up following the road - but I believe that had I used the screen shot, I would not have diverted from the route. By the way, they are digging up the marked track from the windmills down into the valley. The markers are still there but it is like walking along a road-building-project-in-progress.

It is a very up and down route compared to both the Madrid and the Frances (which we used to connect between Shagun and Ponferrada), and we were pushed most days but it is spectacular and the people amazingly encouraging and welcoming despite our lack of Spanish. Horns beeped regularly when near a road and rarely did we pass people without a 'Buen Camino.' The climb up to the castle on the first day was amazingly uplifting - I just could not believe we would be going up there when I saw it as we took a rest by the chapel in the woods just before we started climbing.... And note that there is no supermarket in Las Medulas. Having walked back down the long hill to a small shop to get some supplies, we arrived back to find travelling grocers, fishmongers, bakers all arriving within the next hour!

We stayed in two Aubergues, A Rua and Quiroga, and as sheets were available at each, could have managed without taking sleeping bags. We had no trouble finding cheap hotels and, as there were two of us, this often worked out little more than an Aubergue anyway.

The walk from Quiroga to Monforte was 41km on my GPS - a long and hard day but we wanted to beat the rain forecast and have a rest day -A good move as it turned out but it would probably be better to do this in 2 days. It was hard to believe we went through so many different and varied landscapes in the same day, all stunning in their own way.

We carried food and water most days as cafés/ shops were not many in number. However, we stopped and ate when we could, never seeming to need to pay too much. One evening in Quiroga, for example, we had 4 glasses of wine (freshly pressed) and 4 substantial ordered raciones for 8 euro! The cook at the Aubergue even did our washing for free despite my futile attempts to pay her.

Do not miss the walk up to the church marked by crosses on top of the hill after the climb up from Chantada. An amazing experience in the clouds - just wish we could have got inside. It moved us more than the cross on the Frances.

We loved it!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Well, thanks so much, Ozwalker! Your experience sounds a lot like mine, kinky's, econodan's, freescot's, etc etc -- what is it about the people on this Camino?!
I also agree with you about the castle up the hill before Quiroga. That green tunnel walk afterwards was very nice. I am always looking for ways to get off the asphalt, because hard surfaces bother me much more than ups and downs.

But you've totally lost me with the reference to screenshots and that website waymarkedtrails. I went to the site and found a yellow line connecting what must be Madrid and Sahagún, so I´m guessing that´s the Camino de Madrid. Is this a GPS site? Anything you can tell me about it will be helpful, since I´m a total luddite in the tech department.

But many thanks for your comments, I think that it gives prospective walkers comfort to know that it's not so intimidating a Camino and that you will rarely be far from people in case anything goes wrong. Now that the Invierno has received "official status" from the pilgrims´office and the government (I think), it will certainly grow in popularity. I hope to go back next July before it gets too busy. Buen camino, Laurie

image.jpg image.jpg
Well, thanks so much, Ozwalker! Your experience sounds a lot like mine, kinky's, econodan's, freescot's, etc etc -- what is it about the people on this Camino?!
I also agree with you about the castle up the hill before Quiroga. That green tunnel walk afterwards was very nice. I am always looking for ways to get off the asphalt, because hard surfaces bother me much more than ups and downs.

But you've totally lost me with the reference to screenshots and that website waymarkedtrails. I went to the site and found a yellow line connecting what must be Madrid and Sahagún, so I´m guessing that´s the Camino de Madrid. Is this a GPS site? Anything you can tell me about it will be helpful, since I´m a total luddite in the tech department.

But many thanks for your comments, I think that it gives prospective walkers comfort to know that it's not so intimidating a Camino and that you will rarely be far from people in case anything goes wrong. Now that the Invierno has received "official status" from the pilgrims´office and the government (I think), it will certainly grow in popularity. I hope to go back next July before it gets too busy. Buen camino, Laurie
Laurie, the yellow highlighted line is the the one we used for the Camino de Madrid. I zoomed in until the scale is 200m and took a screen capture - if you zoomin further on the towns it even shows the location of the Aubergues, shops and bars. By moving the focus point, you can pick out all the caminos, marked by scallop shells. If you go to Ponteferadda, you will see one camino coming in from the east, one going west and one south. This is the most valuable resource once you see its potential. The examples here are Alcazaren on the Madrid route showing the Albergue - a bunk bed - bars, cafe real is the cup in the middle and supermarkets. The other is the route on the Invierno at Belesar. Let me know how you get on. This is , as I said and believe, invaluable for both routes.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Thanks, Ozwalker, I see it now. So, are you saying that you took some screenshots on your phone of what you thought would be dicey parts the next day?

Actually, the whole route......just in case we met any problems. We did - missing arrows at intersections, unclear ones, ones that had fallen over - and it helped when we did. It also allowed us to find bars, shops and Aubergues. An amazing, helpful and clear map of the route if you like. (The only guidebooks we had seen were the old original ones by John Walker and Rebekah Scott although one pilgrim we met on the Madrid route had an updated copy with maps on it. ) We mainly used the website and anything we picked up on these forums. That is what drove us to share our experience... So others could benefit as we did from those who have gone before.. Hopefully someone finds it useful.

Just to say that I've gotten all of KinkyOne's gps recordings and am working on the last piece of the revision, which is to update the distances.

The distances were frequently very wrong, sometimes by as much as 10-12 kms -- I had no idea I walked several 40+ days! Things are looking good, but if there's anyone else who'd like to take one last look at what I've got before I post it in the resources section, let me know. buen camino, LR

Hi Laure, I'm planning to do the Invierno early in 2015 so I can help promote it more in the future so really looking forward to seeing your update, thanks so much

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Just to say that I've gotten all of KinkyOne's gps recordings and am working on the last piece of the revision, which is to update the distances.

The distances were frequently very wrong, sometimes by as much as 10-12 kms -- I had no idea I walked several 40+ days! Things are looking good, but if there's anyone else who'd like to take one last look at what I've got before I post it in the resources section, let me know. buen camino, LR
Hi, Laurie!
I just want to remind you that I've made few "on tarmac" slogs, so those aren't really adequat to put in the guide. But I mentioned that for each in parenthesis as I remember. So maybe you could just mention them as an option and not as official (e.g.marked) Camino on those parts.
Thanks for doing this!!!

B.

Laurie
I am happy to have a look and help where I can.
I am sure the final copy will be well-used as there seems so little information available at the moment....

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Hi, all. I'm a new member on the forum (this is my first post) and am planning my first Camino for this May/June (starting in StJPdP). I gather the last part of the CF is pretty crowded and have just learned of the Invierno alternative. (I'm looking forward to seeing your revised guide, Laurie.)

Given there are fewer lodging options on the Invierno and the way is not as well marked, is the Invierno a good option for a first-timer or is staying on the CF a better idea? (Sounds like both are beautiful walks.)

Many thanks. This forum has been such a great source of both practical information and inspiration!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Hi, all. I'm a new member on the forum (this is my first post) and am planning my first Camino for this May/June (starting in StJPdP). I gather the last part of the CF is pretty crowded and have just learned of the Invierno alternative. (I'm looking forward to seeing your revised guide, Laurie.)

Given there are fewer lodging options on the Invierno and the way is not as well marked, is the Invierno a good option for a first-timer or is staying on the CF a better idea? (Sounds like both are beautiful walks.)

Many thanks. This forum has been such a great source of both practical information and inspiration!
Hola, @Ohiowalker :)

Since Laurie is not on-line right now I'll try to give some info. I walked Invierno this summer and posted day-by-day blog here (with photos & gps tracks, Laurie included some of my info in the guide):
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/my-camino-de-invierno-july-2014.25355/

Yes, there are fewer lodging options on Invierno but they are not so scarce as one could imagine. Some stages might be longer (up to 32kms at most) and if you're not on budget that won't be a problem as stages could be even shorter then. If you're first-timer I wouldn't recommend this route in general, but of course that depends on your physical capabilities. Also you would gain some stamina from SJPdP to Ponferrada. And if you really want to get off the "beaten track" in terms of crowds the Invierno is the answer! Lots of ups and downs but with beautiful views and incredibly warm people.

And Cruz de Ferro would be still on your route before Ponferrada ;)

Happy planning and Ultreia!

Gracias, Kinky One. It sounds like in addition to being less crowded, the Invierno would be more of an adventure (and less certain/predictable). Maybe I'll decide during the first part of the walk.

The planning is quite a process! Seems it should be pretty simple, but for a newcomer, lots of decisions to make. It took me awhile - and lots of research - to get comfortable with the idea of actually doing it. Now that I have, it feels like I ought to be leaving soon, but it's still months away...

Hi, Ohiowalker,

Kinky has given you good advice. I think it's unlikely that a first time pilgrim starting in SJPP is going to reach Ponferrada and decide to break away from Camino family and all that would entail, but it's not a bad idea to keep your options open. Perhaps the best thing would be if you could find a group that wanted to strike out together on a less--travelled path.

The marking on this Camino is fine, IMO, even for someone like me who gets lost easily. There is a dark spot or two, but since you are never far from roads and hamlets, you are not going to wind up in alone in the wilderness. People are wonderful along this route, and though it's gaining in popularity, you are unlikely to meet too many other pilgrims.

I'll be posting the revised guide soon -- just waiting for some final comments from a couple of generous people, and then it'll be ready to go! Buen camino, Laurie

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Thank you, Laurie. Very helpful (and I haven't even seen the revised guide yet!). I like the idea of doing the entire CF for my first Camino, but am thinking about the Camino as a sort of walking meditation. The less crowded, more quiet Invierno for the final stretch seems like a good fit in that way, especially since it's reasonably well marked.

I'm very thankful for this forum and those like you who so generously make it such a wonderful resource.

I am planning to do exactly like Laurie suggested: keeping my options open. My Big Journey starts May 2015 in solitude: the last 240 km to Le Puy. Then Le Puy - SJPP, then SJPP - Santiago (and most likely to the sea). It sounds like a wonderful idea to escape from the crowds in Ponferrada. But if I somehow have learned to love that crowd I might stay on the Francés.

Hi- I am starting from SJPP on May 29 and plan to switch to the Invierno in Ponferrada. This is my first Camino, but I trust that by then I'll have more strength and confidence. I really do not want to be caught up in the crowds the last 100 km and this way I will finish more at peace (I believe). I am also excited about the added adventure of a less busy route.

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Hi- I am starting from SJPP on May 29 and plan to switch to the Invierno in Ponferrada. This is my first Camino, but I trust that by then I'll have more strength and confidence. I really do not want to be caught up in the crowds the last 100 km and this way I will finish more at peace (I believe). I am also excited about the added adventure of a less busy route.

I think that´s a great idea. Just so you know, it´s likely that the tourist office in Ponferrada and the albergue hospitaleros will try their hardest to discourage you from walking the Invierno. But with the little guide, the good marking, and enough money to stay in private places (there are not many albergues at all), it is a wonderful alternative to the Camino Francés.

I think that´s a great idea. Just so you know, it´s likely that the tourist office in Ponferrada and the albergue hospitaleros will try their hardest to discourage you from walking the Invierno. But with the little guide, the good marking, and enough money to stay in private places (there are not many albergues at all), it is a wonderful alternative to the Camino Francés.
Thanks - I will resist being advised otherwise!

I may well do exactly the same as Towanda (although I'll be starting in SJPP earlier in May). Laurie, this question may be covered in your guide, but I expect that my pace will be in the 20 km/day range (maybe up to 25 or so, but at this point I don't plan to do days of more than that); are there enough places to stay along the Invierno that would work with that pace, or might I have to do 30 or more km in a day to find lodging? Also, I wonder about the cost of private lodging on the Invierno. According to my guidebook for the CF, there often are private rooms available in the 20 - 35 or 40 euro/night range on the CF (although some hotels are listed with rooms up to 100 euro/night). Are there many 20 - 40 euro/night places on the Invierno too? Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Just walk towanda, and by the time you reach Ponferrada you'll know ;)

Ultreia!

I may well do exactly the same as Towanda (although I'll be starting in SJPP earlier in May). Laurie, this question may be covered in your guide, but I expect that my pace will be in the 20 km/day range (maybe up to 25 or so, but at this point I don't plan to do days of more than that); are there enough places to stay along the Invierno that would work with that pace, or might I have to do 30 or more km in a day to find lodging? Also, I wonder about the cost of private lodging on the Invierno. According to my guidebook for the CF, there often are private rooms available in the 20 - 35 or 40 euro/night range on the CF (although some hotels are listed with rooms up to 100 euro/night). Are there many 20 - 40 euro/night places on the Invierno too? Thanks.
Private rooms on Invierno are even more expensive than those on CF I think, but they are still in 15-25€/25-40€ range. Of course that also depends on what you expect...
Useful links:
- http://mundicamino.com/rutas.cfm?id=66
- http://caminodeinvierno.es/etapas-itinerario-alojamiento-predicción-meteorológica/
- http://www.suicammini.com/file/Guida.del.camino.de.Invierno.pdf

I can send you my compilation of distances & albergues file along with some other sources, guide etc. (don't know why I can't post .pdf files lately???) if you wish. Just send me your E-mail via PM.

K1

Last edited:

Hi, Ohiowalker, I see you are chomping at the bit for information. The guide isn't quite yet ready to post, but I can send you a copy via email if you PM me with your email address. It has all the information you ask about. Buen camino, Laurie

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back