• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dragonte - pilgrims

shefollowsshells

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
Several alone and with children
It looks like I will be heading back out on the Camino in late March!
This time I am determined to do Dragonte, the trail up into the mountains after Villafranca.
I wanted to do it last year but got pretty turned around in Villafranca (by myself that morning) and by the time I approached the place to start up the mountain some young local men urged me not to do alone and at that time of day.
I have found a few threads about this route on our forum and will study those this week, but have wondered do most stay in Herrerias or go onto to La Faba. I have heard such wonderful things about La Faba but assume it would be complet by the time we roll in. Any word on Herrerias?

Any recent walkers up Dragonte? The last thread I saw was before summer...
Thanks in advance,
Neve

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
One more question...
did any Dragonte pilgrims start their morning at the Monasterio de Carracedo? This is a monestary off the path a little and maybe an hour from VillaFranca.

The albergue in Herrerias opens in the middle of April, so may not be available for you. La Faba opens in mid-March, but perhaps you should call ahead to be sure it is open. There are casa rurales in Herrerias. Buen camino.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Neve, I walked Dragonte many years ago and yes, I got lost. What I learned about walking the Camino is that you are never completely lost, there is always a way to the path, you just have to find it and daylight is important. :) The forest is gorgeous and well worth the hike uphill. LaFaba is a lovely place to stay. Clean and peaceful. Even if it is late in the day you should be able to get in at that time of year. as long as it is open. Buen Camino.
Sue

I just walked the Dragonte route last week and it is well worth the effort! Finding it is a little problematic - you go over the second bridge, walk past the tunnel and continue up the road til you see the Dragonte sign. The rest of the route is signed and the Brierley book is accurate enough. Only walk when the weather promises to be clear - the views are spectacular - we saw only 3 others on the trail with us!

It looks like I will be heading back out on the Camino in late March!
This time I am determined to do Dragonte, the trail up into the mountains after Villafranca.
Any recent walkers up Dragonte? The last thread I saw was before summer...
Thanks in advance,
Neve
Hi Neve, I walked over the mountain on that trail this spring and had no trouble with directions except in one spot close to the end (more on that in a sec). There are some new signs showing that there is a bit of a hiking circle up there used by locals. The only spot that gave me a moment to pause was close to the end where you meet a road and large yellow arrows point off to the right promising a bar at Pradela. I definitely could have used a coffee by this point but I knew to go that way made it a few km longer to get to Trabadelo. I had made this trip a couple of times before in 2003 and 2006 and that didn't feel right to me so after a couple of minutes I noticed a small path going off to the left. This is a shorter route and I followed my instincts instead of the sign pointing right, which (I finally noticed) was nailed over the original arrow pointing left. Success!

I should mention that the route up and the route down are both very steep and ungroomed so if you're having any knee problems it might not be the way to go.
However - it is spectacularly beautiful and one of my favourite days. It does get the heart pounding and definitely don't plan to rush. I didn't see anyone for the whole trip up there. Be sure your water container is full and you have a snack or lunch. Enjoy the view!!
Cecelia
And incidentally, as I was leaving Villafranca a man was leaning out of his window urging everyone not to go that way saying it was too hard. It is hard but the only thing I found a little disconcerting was that you have to keep going back and forth under high tension wires now which, literally, had my hair standing on end. Hope this helps.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
We walked this last year in Sept. and as mentioned, is a bit tricky to find, especially if you are leaving before sunrise...I suggest you scout it out the day before if staying in Villafranca. We never saw anyone on this path either, but it is a gorgeous walk and were surprised there was no one else walking there. I agree with with Cecilia that a coffee at Pradela would have been so nice, but not to be :( We have some beautiful pictures taken on that day, don't miss it ! We did stay at Herrerias...there is a wonderful family run little restaurant in town that serves wonderful meals.

close to the end where you meet a road and large yellow arrows point off to the right promising a bar at Pradela.
I think that is on the regular (non-road) route. The Dragonte crosses the A-6 just after exiting Villafranca and heads far to the left. The regular route along the mountain crest rejoins the road route at Trabadelo. The Dragonte rejoins the regular route at about Herrerias.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Hi Neve, I walked over the mountain on that trail this spring and had no trouble with directions except in one spot close to the end (more on that in a sec). There are some new signs showing that there is a bit of a hiking circle up there used by locals. The only spot that gave me a moment to pause was close to the end where you meet a road and large yellow arrows point off to the right promising a bar at Pradela. I definitely could have used a coffee by this point but I knew to go that way made it a few km longer to get to Trabadelo. I had made this trip a couple of times before in 2003 and 2006 and that didn't feel right to me so after a couple of minutes I noticed a small path going off to the left. This is a shorter route and I followed my instincts instead of the sign pointing right, which (I finally noticed) was nailed over the original arrow pointing left. Success!

I should mention that the route up and the route down are both very steep and ungroomed so if you're having any knee problems it might not be the way to go.
However - it is spectacularly beautiful and one of my favourite days. It does get the heart pounding and definitely don't plan to rush. I didn't see anyone for the whole trip up there. Be sure your water container is full and you have a snack or lunch. Enjoy the view!!
Cecelia
And incidentally, as I was leaving Villafranca a man was leaning out of his window urging everyone not to go that way saying it was too hard. It is hard but the only thing I found a little disconcerting was that you have to keep going back and forth under high tension wires now which, literally, had my hair standing on end. Hope this helps.
So glad you made Dragonte, Cecelia. I had hoped to walk it too but by the time I got there I was dealing with tendinitis, and it was all I could do to get to Santiago. Next time! Charleen

Last edited:
Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
I did the Dragonte route last week. The way out of Villafranca is clear enough: cross the bridge and KSO over the roundabout, then R at the Dragonte sign. It is a very strenuous trek, but spectacular scenery. I had no trouble route finding, it is well signed, and as already said, Breirley's directions are a great help. But, you need good weather, and waterproof footwear, as in parts streams have taken over the pathways. It took me 7 hours - in that time I saw no other pilgrims, and met only a handful of local people in the villages. You do need water, and food, as there are no shops en route. I stayed at the Casa in Herrerias, as by that time I was somewhat weary!

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back