• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dragonte route

MMcA

Time of past OR future Camino
SJPDP - Los Arcos(2012)
Burgos(14)
León(15)
Villafranca(16)
SdC - Fisterra(17)
Valença - SdC (2019)
Hello all.
The final part of my bit-by-bit Camino along the Camino Frances is approaching fast (first day's walking will be 9th August). This time I'll be starting in Villafranca de Bierzo, going to Santiago and on to Fisterra and Muxia.

In the past when there was an option to take path that went off the main Camino and onto a less used one, for example, through a forest, I've been drawn to it. For this reason, when I saw that there was a route out of Villafranca that went over, not just one, but three extra hills I've thought "that's the path for me!"

I wonder if anyone has been on the Dragonte route recently and what the conditions are like. Have the new yellow arrows been making navigation easier? I know that there are few facilities along the way (or has this changed?) and it will be my first day on the road this year, so is it a bad idea or "go for it!"

Any thought or suggestion?
Thanks.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
You might check out the Facebook group "Friends of Dragonte". https://www.facebook.com/groups/2046541135572224/

I have not walked it, but I do know there are a few folks who have worked to improve the way markings, etc. Also, if you decide against the Dragonte option, there is also another option leaving Villafranca which we have walked twice. The Pradela route goes right, up a steep road and along the top of the ridge to the north of the highway route. It returns to the valley at Trabadelo and is wonderful, with huge Chestnut orchards, pine forests, and incredible views. Buen Camino.

You might check out the Facebook group "Friends of Dragonte". https://www.facebook.com/groups/2046541135572224/

I have not walked it, but I do know there are a few folks who have worked to improve the way markings, etc. Also, if you decide against the Dragonte option, there is also another option leaving Villafranca which we have walked twice. The Pradela route goes right, up a steep road and along the top of the ridge to the north of the highway route. It returns to the valley at Trabadelo and is wonderful, with huge Chestnut orchards, pine forests, and incredible views. Buen Camino.
When I was leaving the road out of Villafranca del Bierzo I too was excited about the possibility of an alternate route as I, like you, are usually drawn to them and not been dissappointed. However, I looked to the left...HUGE hill (mountain?), and then looked to the right...another huge climb. I knew I'd be in for some punishing climbs, so then decided the road looked pretty darn good after all! I know I really missed out on some amazing trails and views, but I just couldn't muster up that much energy when I didn't have to. Kudos to those of you who pushed on "upward"!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I've walked the Pradela route twice, thoroughly enjoying the views and the chestnut trees. We did notice last October that there appeared to have been some extensive forest fires over on the hills that the Dragonte must go through. After walking through the section on the Primativo last month where a huge fire had devastated the landscape going down to the resevoir, I am still saddened whenever I think about all the charred trees. I'm not sure I would want to walk through an area like that again if I had a better option. Hopefully it is starting to regenerate itself by now, though.

Thanks for the information MileHighPair, I've now joined the said Facebook group.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.