• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dragonte route

Time of past OR future Camino
French way (June 2018) with Finisterra. Camino Dragonte being considered en route.
Hi. I am planning to brave the Camino Dragonte but I'm having a little trouble with my route research for the section between Moral de Valcarce and Villar de Corrales. Got the John Brierley guide, but his notes on this section seem a little vague for me. I have attached a screenshot from google maps. Now, do I follow the path I have roughly traced in red or is there some route following my blue line somewhere? If anyone who has done this route can remember, please can you do some smart phone magic and add the correct route. Also if possible, can the adandoned mill and church be marked? Many thanks in advance.image.jpg

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I have not done the Dragonte alternate route , but I have read that someone has taken the time last year to clearly mark this trail with more yellow arrows so is now much easier to follow, although the difficulty level is still the same.
That's my 2 cents worth (or maybe it's just my 1 cent worth). :)

Last edited:
I have not done the Dragonet alternate route , but I have read that someone has taken the time last year to clearly mark this trail with more yellow arrows so is now much easier to follow, although the difficulty level is still the same.
That's my 2 cents worth (or maybe it's just my 1 cent worth). :)
I had heard some arrows went up. Was going to take a tin of paint with me. Maybe I'm just over preparing. At least no one will be running into that gingerbread house anymore!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
just for clarity´s sake, perhaps someone can re-label this "Dragonte Option," or some such. It is a one-day secondary route on the Camino Frances. It´s not its own camino... unless of course you are lost up there!
Agreed. For the sake of clarity, thread renamed.

Agreed. For the sake of clarity, thread renamed.
I have been aware of this one day "alternate route" since my first Camino in 2015. The Brierley guide speaks of it, but the elevation map has always put me off...I'll leave it to the more "young and fearless"!

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Hi. I am planning to brave the Camino Dragonte but I'm having a little trouble with my route research for the section between Moral de Valcarce and Villar de Corrales. Got the John Brierley guide, but his notes on this section seem a little vague for me. I have attached a screenshot from google maps. Now, do I follow the path I have roughly traced in red or is there some route following my blue line somewhere? If anyone who has done this route can remember, please can you do some smart phone magic and add the correct route. Also if possible, can the adandoned mill and church be marked? Many thanks in advance.View attachment 40012
I, too, have been really interested in the Dragonte route. AND there is a facebook group with great information . All you will need and much better than the Brierley. Check it out.

I am planning to brave the Camino Dragonte but I'm having a little trouble with my route research for the section between Moral de Valcarce and Villar de Corrales. Got the John Brierley guide, but his notes on this section seem a little vague for me.
Someone asked for GPS files of this route previously. See:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/via-dragonte-gps-file.13239/

Here is a two year-old writeup about the route with pictures:
https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...e-villafranca-del-bierzo-to-o-cebreiro.40766/

Buen camino.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have walked the three alternatives - Dragonte was the biggest challenge for me of any of my days on any of the Camino routes. I would never attempt it alone - three "pairs" walked it separately one fine day in 2015. Two pairs followed the trail without direction/route issues; one pairing (mine) had problems, so it turned out to be a very, very l-o-n-g day! The "Green" (Pradela) Route in good weather sits comfortably with the full overall Frances Route experience. If you are fit and in good condition and want an exciting challenge "over and above", walk the Dragonte BUT with company and in favourable weather conditions. That's my take!!

I have walked the three alternatives - Dragonte was the biggest challenge for me of any of my days on any of the Camino routes. I would never attempt it alone - three "pairs" walked it separately one fine day in 2015. Two pairs followed the trail without direction/route issues; one pairing (mine) had problems, so it turned out to be a very, very l-o-n-g day! The "Green" (Pradela) Route in good weather sits comfortably with the full overall Frances Route experience. If you are fit and in good condition and want an exciting challenge "over and above", walk the Dragonte BUT with company and in favourable weather conditions. That's my take!!
I'll have to see if I make any Camino friends willing to go to Dragonte with me. But for now it's just me, myself and I. Will be going in June so hopefully good weather for it.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I walked the Dragonte option in July, 2012. Not well marked then.
Left from Villafranca del Bierzo and walked to La Faba. It was a long, hot, challenging day.
I would definitely walk it again.
Be sure to carry food and water for the day (was absolutely necessary in 2012).
What is your destination? Leaving from Cacabelos will be a very long day.

I walked the Dragonte option in July, 2012. Not well marked then.
Left from Villafranca del Bierzo and walked to La Faba. It was a long, hot, challenging day.
I would definitely walk it again.
Be sure to carry food and water for the day (was absolutely necessary in 2012).
What is your destination? Leaving from Cacabelos will be a very long day.
My aim is to get to Herrerias. If no room at an inn there then at least I'll have a few options for the cost of a few more kilometres. Will take 3 litres of water as I did climbing Pantokrator in Corfu at 38C!

When I arrived in Herrerías the albergue was full. So stopped for food at the café there then walked on to La Faba. Buen camino.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Walked the Dragonte today and very nice it was too :)
Started from Villafranca and had the perfect blue sky day. Official waymarking was pretty good in the first and last thirds but virtually non-existent in the middle. Brierley is pretty accurate though with his route notes and a few yellow arrows were very helpful. Became temporarily misplaced after Moral de V through my own fault and legs were severely ‘brambled’...whoops ;)
Lovely day. No pilgrim in sight and just a few friendly locals. Currently drinking beer in the sun in Herrerias :cool:

Walked the Dragonte today and very nice it was too :)
Started from Villafranca and had the perfect blue sky day. Official waymarking was pretty good in the first and last thirds but virtually non-existent in the middle. Brierley is pretty accurate though with his route notes and a few yellow arrows were very helpful. Became temporarily misplaced after Moral de V through my own fault and legs were severely ‘brambled’...whoops ;)
Lovely day. No pilgrim in sight and just a few friendly locals. Currently drinking beer in the sun in Herrerias :cool:
Hi Rich1, glad to hear it went well. Can you say what went wrong after Moral? It's after that village to the next that has flummoxed me with the Brierley directions. Any pointers? How long didn't it take you? Many thanks.

Hi Rich1, glad to hear it went well. Can you say what went wrong after Moral? It's after that village to the next that has flummoxed me with the Brierley directions. Any pointers? How long didn't it take you? Many thanks.

Well...you come down the hill from the village (which is isn’t entirely clear but I stuck with it!) and eventually come to the derelict stone mill. Turn right directly in front of the mill walking along the stream for 50m to regain the path. You then turn left almost immediately - the path also goes straight on so take care. A stone marker has been painted yellow to show the left turn.
After 100m or so, a path seems to join from the left. This is path to take - it then winds up and round to Vilar de Corrales. I stupidly chose to ignore this path as it seemed to be going back where I’d come from!!! I scrub bashed a bit, realised my error and the brambles severely got me on the way back. Schoolboy error!! After that I was fine :):)
It took me 5 hours from Villafranca to Herrerias but I was going fairly quickly...when I was on the right path!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
The damage...
9337263C-B05E-40A6-BE3A-546CF4E6ADA6.jpeg

Dragonte - Overall Map.png

Hi everyone. I've just written an in-depth guide to the Dragonte, with general description, elevation profile chart, maps (with contour lines and 3D hill shading), walking notes, and so on. It's available in PDF and ePub formats. I've uploaded them as a resource to Ivar's 'Resources' section yesterday, though I think it is still waiting for approval.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/in-depth-guide-to-the-ruta-dragonte.665/

If anyone has an immediate interest, the guide can be downloaded from my website:

http://trekopedia.com/new-guide-ruta-dragonte-on-the-camino-frances/

Most of the same content is available in my free TrailSmart app, too, of course.

Feedback very much appreciated!

(High-res version of the above map is included in the guide, plus more detailed sectional maps)

View attachment 42637

Hi everyone. I've just written an in-depth guide to the Dragonte, with general description, elevation profile chart, maps (with contour lines and 3D hill shading), walking notes, and so on. It's available in PDF and ePub formats. I've uploaded them as a resource to Ivar's 'Resources' section yesterday, though I think it is still waiting for approval.

https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/resources/in-depth-guide-to-the-ruta-dragonte.665/

If anyone has an immediate interest, the guide can be downloaded from my website:

Most of the same content is available in my free TrailSmart app, too, of course.

(High-res version of the above map is included in the guide, plus more detailed sectional maps)

Hi. I hope to take the Pradela route from villafranca to trabadelo tomorrow. Ive lost my printed guide and notes, so am trying to figure it all out with help of my phone.
Do you have a similar detailed guide to the pradela? I am a little confused as to how to find it, leaving villafranca. And then how to stay on it to trabadelo!!!
Detailed advice appreciated from you and/or other forum members.

Hi. I hope to take the Pradela route from villafranca to trabadelo tomorrow. Ive lost my printed guide and notes, so am trying to figure it all out with help of my phone.
Do you have a similar detailed guide to the pradela? I am a little confused as to how to find it, leaving villafranca. And then how to stay on it to trabadelo!!!
When leaving Villafranca you cross a bridge. The Caminos fork there. Take the right one heading uphill (also take lots of water as there is none on the way.) I remember not having any problems following the track. When you get to the paved road take it downhill.

A description in Spanish is at https://www.senditur.com/multimedia/rutas/76/pdf/Etapa_22b_Variante_de_Pradela.SENDITUR.pdf

Here is the view you get very shortly after crossing the bridge. The main route through the valley goes to the left. The Pradela route goes uphill on the right.
https://www.google.com/maps/@42.609...4!1srdmshF5CMsYpxy5jPGnqqw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Hi @design4life – The Pradela route isn't near as difficult to follow as the Dragonte, though there are a few places where people sometimes get confused.

My TrailSmart app has the Pradela route in it. You can use the built-in yellow arrow in the app to point you in the right direction if you lose the trail markers. TrailSmart is free, with no advertising. Offline maps are available for sale as in-app purchases, but you don't really need them for the Pradela – the built-in yellow arrow in the app works even without offline maps. Google maps are included with the app if you have a data plan.

Just a heads-up, the Pradela may not have as much climbing and descending as the Dragonte, but it is still quite steep if you aren't used to hill-walking.

Have a great walk -- let us know how it goes.

Thanks so much, all. I was a bit worn out and wanting to save my energy for the Big Climb to O'C, so i took the road walk. Despite the road, it was beautiful, and i was rewarded with a night at the wonderful Casa Susi.
But your instructions were spot on in terms of the entry to the Pradela path across the bridge, and the photo was perfect.
I've installed the Trailsmart app.
Thanks again.

@design4life - Agreed, that entire region is quite beautiful! There really isn't a wrong option, including following the road through the valley.

Let us know how the rest of your Camino goes.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
This is something I posted to the Friends of Dragonte Facebook page and wanted to share it here with Forum members:
"Wanting to beat the heat with a forecast high of 31 degrees, it was 6:50 in the morning of 18 June when we set off from Albergue Leo in Villafranca del Bierzo to walk the Dragonte route. We were a group of three: two Canadians (living in Barcelona) and an Australian. First stop was at the hikers' hut in Moral de Valcarce (actually, the village of Dragonte, not Moral - edit) to sign into the log book. The hut was equipped with a few basic supplies, a table and chair and the log book, and it would have made a refuge for pilgrims had the weather not allowed us to carry on. We were well prepared physically for the trek, already having walked along the Camino Catalan from Barcelona, and the Aragones route before joining the Frances Camino in Obanos. The walk along the Dragonte route did not disappoint: the excellent way markings ensured that we could easily stay on the trail without misadventures while enjoying the spectacular scenery and peacefulness offered by this little-used original Camino route. Water was easily found in almost all of the villages we passed through. We did not need to search for food as our packs were filled with plenty of supplies for the day. Our foodstuffs included some purchases made the day before in Villafraca del Bierzo in the shop in Plaza Mayor. Coincidentally, the shop owner, Lenora, greeted us warmly when we told her of our plans to walk the Dragonte the following day, telling us that her parents and dog live in the first house we would come to upon entering the village of Moral de Valcarce. As requested by Lenora, we paused along the way to knock at the door of said house in order to send greetings but there was no one home to receive us.
The only slight bit of uncertainty during our journey happened toward the end as we approached the quarry and were unsure of which way to go. It was eight hours after we started that we reached our endpoint in Las Herrerias with thoughts of cold beer first and foremost in our minds. We send our thanks to Maria and her mother Mercedes for their hospitality at the lovely Albergue Leo in Villafranca del Bierzo, the group responsible for the clear signage along the Drangonte, members of this Facebook group for sharing updates about the route, and those who bulldozed a wide swath down the last descent into Las Herrerias from the radio mast atop the final peak. Note: a few sections of the trail between San Fiz do Seo and Villasinde were somewhat overgrown, leaving one the unenviable choice between brushing up against brambles or stinging nettles. Also, be prepared for fresh cow patties in the last half of the final descent."

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
View attachment 42637

Thank you so much - I will do the Dragonte autum 2019

This is something I posted to the Friends of Dragonte Facebook page and wanted to share it here with Forum members:
"Wanting to beat the heat with a forecast high of 31 degrees, it was 6:50 in the morning of 18 June when we set off from Albergue Leo in Villafranca del Bierzo to walk the Dragonte route. We were a group of three: two Canadians (living in Barcelona) and an Australian. First stop was at the hikers' hut in Moral de Valcarce to sign into the log book. The hut was equipped with a few basic supplies, a table and chair and the log book, and it would have made a refuge for pilgrims had the weather not allowed us to carry on. We were well prepared physically for the trek, already having walked along the Camino Catalan from Barcelona, and the Aragones route before joining the Frances Camino in Obanos. The walk along the Dragonte route did not disappoint: the excellent way markings ensured that we could easily stay on the trail without misadventures while enjoying the spectacular scenery and peacefulness offered by this little-used original Camino route. Water was easily found in almost all of the villages we passed through. We did not need to search for food as our packs were filled with plenty of supplies for the day. Our foodstuffs included some purchases made the day before in Villafraca del Bierzo in the shop in Plaza Mayor. Coincidentally, the shop owner, Lenora, greeted us warmly when we told her of our plans to walk the Dragonte the following day, telling us that her parents and dog live in the first house we would come to upon entering the village of Moral de Valcarce. As requested by Lenora, we paused along the way to knock at the door of said house in order to send greetings but there was no one home to receive us.
The only slight bit of uncertainty during our journey happened toward the end as we approached the quarry and were uncertain of which way to go. It was eight hours after we started that we reached our endpoint in Las Herrerias with thoughts of cold beer first and foremost in our minds. We send our thanks to Maria and her mother Mercedes for their hospitality at the lovely Albergue Leo in Villafranca del Bierzo, the group responsible for the clear signage along the Drangonte, members of this Facebook group for sharing updates about the route, and those who bulldozed a wide swath down the last descent into Las Herrerias from the radio mast atop the final peak. Note: a few sections of the trail between San Fiz do Seo and Villasinde were somewhat overgrown, leaving one the unenviable choice between brushing up against brambles or stinging nettles. Also, be prepared for fresh cow patties in the last half of the final descent."
You stated "The only slight bit of uncertainty during our journey happened toward the end as we approached the quarry and were uncertain of which way to go." So which way did you go? I plan to walk the route later this year and would appreciate any help. Thanks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
We continued to walk on the road headed to the top of the quarry. The village of San Fiz do Seo will be visible across the valley. Descend into the quarry keeping to the left because you will exit on the left when you reach the bottom. You will come to a gate (it was chained when we got there and we were able to simply step around it) and continue to the end of the driveway which brings you to a paved road. On your left will be a Camino signboard, overgrown with vegetation. Turn right on the paved road and within about 1 km the Camino will veer left off the paved road into the village of San Fiz de Seo.

I hope this helps you!

We continued to walk on the road headed to the top of the quarry. The village of San Fiz do Seo will be visible across the valley. Descend into the quarry keeping to the left because you will exit on the left when you reach the bottom. You will come to a gate (it was chained when we got there and we were able to simply step around it) and continue to the end of the driveway which brings you to a paved road. On your left will be a Camino signboard, overgrown with vegetation. Turn right on the paved road and within about 1 km the Camino will veer left off the paved road into the village of San Fiz de Seo.

I hope this helps you!
Thank you so much for sharing. Your information is very helpful in building my confidence.

Go for it! A most memorable day on the Camino!

€83,-
Did it this year, there’s enough markings imo. I normally start my days on the Camino at 4a so I can see the stars and enjoy the sunrise, but decided on the Dragonte to begin at 8a due to all the warnings that the trail is poorly marked. Once in the canopy I will admit i had to slow my pace to make sure I was going the right way since the path was overgrown and there were a few side trails that were most likely made by locals. The entire hike was amazing, not one single soul. Just adjust your expectations on the frequency,color, and size of the arrows and you will be fine.

Attachments

• 9964E810-ADB6-49FC-AEAB-D38F0EF41ADF.jpeg
    9964E810-ADB6-49FC-AEAB-D38F0EF41ADF.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 14
  • EFEA5249-8E02-4AF9-A71D-CE8124F42DA7.jpeg
    EFEA5249-8E02-4AF9-A71D-CE8124F42DA7.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 14
  • 2499F390-D397-4989-90A6-8D8260FF292F.jpeg
    2499F390-D397-4989-90A6-8D8260FF292F.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 13
  • 0AC1E749-5A83-4D78-892D-C98B889E162C.jpeg
    0AC1E749-5A83-4D78-892D-C98B889E162C.jpeg
    2.3 MB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Did it this year, there’s enough markings imo. I normally start my days on the Camino at 4a so I can see the stars and enjoy the sunrise, but decided on the Dragonte to begin at 8a due to all the warnings that the trail is poorly marked. Once in the canopy I will admit i had to slow my pace to make sure I was going the right way since the path was overgrown and there were a few side trails that were most likely made by locals. The entire hike was amazing, not one single soul. Just adjust your expectations on the frequency,color, and size of the arrows and you will be fine.
Good advice. I am an early starter too but will start later on this one. Thanks.

€46,-
Good advice. I am an early starter too but will start later on this one. Thanks.
Thank you again Mugatu. Instead of my planned start at 5, I started at 7. By the time I reached the village of Dragonte it was light. Everything went fine after that.

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I'd like some recommendations about where to find the most current and up to date information about albergues that are actually open. I'm currently walking the camino Frances, and I can't even...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
Today is March 21, 1024 If you’re starting El Francés around this time, be warned that quite a few stretches between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca are in pretty bad shape. Lots of mud, and...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back