• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dragonte Route

4 Eyes

Time of past OR future Camino
CF from SJPP 14, VDLP from Seville 15, DN&P from Irun 16, Portuguese from Lisbon 17, CF from SJPP 18
I am starting in SJPP late September and plan to walk the Dragonte route from Villafranca del Bierzo. Has anyone walked this route recently after they improved the waymarks? Would appreciate your sharing your experience on this. Thanks.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am starting in SJPP late September and plan to walk the Dragonte route from Villafranca del Bierzo. Has anyone walked this route recently after they improved the waymarks? Would appreciate your sharing your experience on this. Thanks.

I did it together with my two kids a couple of weeks ago. I had no problems finding my way. I was in doubt twice though. Once in the woods and once at the steep down hill at the end, where the cow fence confused me. But just open it and continue. But that downhill is difficult, and overall the Dragonte is a lot more difficult than the Camino Frances in general (I was very tired arriving at Las Herreiras) - but incredibly rewarding. To me it was the best walking day on the complete Camino.

Great. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your sharing. The cow fence bit is very helpful. The confusing spot in the woods, was it the at the curve after the stream crossing by the old mill house? (I have never walked the route but have been researching it on line and it seems this is a confusing spot, but that's from people who walked before the most recent improved waymarks.) If not, where was your confusing spot in the woods and how did you resolve it? What was the weather condition when you did it? Hope your two kids did okay and enjoyed the walk. Thumbs up to all three of you!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Just walked it a couple weeks ago, IMO it’s marked well enough. I posted on another Dragonte thread some photos about the way marking and trail conditions. If you want I have a video of mill and the direction , I think the only reason why people get confused is due to the stream that runs over the actual path and to left is an actual dry route, however the arrow clearly directs you to go right. There’s another portion after the last stream hike that veers left over a fallen tree rather than continuing up and to the right... maybe the tree will be cleared by the time you’re on trail. I hiked it in over 80F with 2L of water from Villafranca all the way to Ocebreiro ... only time I actually felt like I was hiking due to the overgrown paths filled with thorns, actual stream hikes, and the only time I didn’t come across one pilgrim. Take your time and enjoy the solitude. The forum doesn’t support the size of the vids I have so just dm me with your email and I can send it you way.

Last edited:
Just walked it a couple weeks ago, IMO it’s marked well enough. I posted on another Dragonte thread some photos about the way marking and trail conditions. If you want I have a video of mill and the direction , I think the only reason why people get confused is due to the stream that runs over the actual path and to left is an actual dry route, however the arrow clearly directs you to go right. There’s another portion after the last stream hike that veers left over a fallen tree rather than continuing up and to the right... maybe the tree will be cleared by the time you’re on trail. I hiked it in over 80F with 2L of water from Villafranca all the way to Ocebreiro ... only time I actually felt like I was hiking due to the overgrown paths filled with thorns, actual stream hikes, and the only time I didn’t come across one pilgrim. Take your time and enjoy the solitude. The forum doesn’t support the size of the vids I have so just dm me with your email and I can send it you way.
Thanks! Your information is very reassuring and it all makes the Dragonte route sound better and better. I will look for the other thread. Thanks again.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Great. Thank you very much. I really appreciate your sharing. The cow fence bit is very helpful. The confusing spot in the woods, was it the at the curve after the stream crossing by the old mill house? (I have never walked the route but have been researching it on line and it seems this is a confusing spot, but that's from people who walked before the most recent improved waymarks.) If not, where was your confusing spot in the woods and how did you resolve it? What was the weather condition when you did it? Hope your two kids did okay and enjoyed the walk. Thumbs up to all three of you!
Actually, I did look for the confusing spot, but never found it. Just walked along, But there were a few times, I wasn't sure if I was on the right track. The weather was great - 22 or 23 degrees. I was a bit worried, becuase Patrick - the administrator of the Dragonte FB group - had told me, we had to get some spray for the mosquitos. But due to low degrees, we never met mosquitos in large numbers. Buen Camino, and remember to sign your name in the book in the pilgrim house in Dragonte.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
Actually, I did look for the confusing spot, but never found it. Just walked along, But there were a few times, I wasn't sure if I was on the right track. The weather was great - 22 or 23 degrees. I was a bit worried, becuase Patrick - the administrator of the Dragonte FB group - had told me, we had to get some spray for the mosquitos. But due to low degrees, we never met mosquitos in large numbers. Buen Camino, and remember to sign your name in the book in the pilgrim house in Dragonte.
Thank you. Yes I am bringing insect repellent but I'm glad to know there are not so many bugs now. For sure I will sign the guest book. Thank you for mentioning the FB page. I checked out the FB Dragonte group too and requested to join but never received any response. Oh well.

To people who have walked it, do you cross a sign or a cement waymark that indicates you have arrived in Galicia (as you do when you walk the traditional route to O'Cebreiro)?

To people who have walked it, do you cross a sign or a cement waymark that indicates you have arrived in Galicia (as you do when you walk the traditional route to O'Cebreiro)?

You won’t cross into Galicia anywhere on the Dragonte if I’m not mistakened. The route rejoins the main artery at Herrerias and you continue on it till Ocebreiro. I hope you enjoy this stretch as much as I did.

The marker will be further up the trail maybe 2 miles after Herrerias.

Attachments

• 2C9261A4-12C3-46C7-90F1-EA32ED37F7D5.jpeg
    2C9261A4-12C3-46C7-90F1-EA32ED37F7D5.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 5
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
You won’t cross into Galicia anywhere on the Dragonte if I’m not mistakened. The route rejoins the main artery at Herrerias and you continue on it till Ocebreiro. I hope you enjoy this stretch as much as I did.

The marker will be further up the trail maybe 2 miles after Herrerias.
Neat! I wasn't sure where everything ended and all. I just confirmed what you said on a map.. thank you :)

Thank you very much to all those in the Forum who have helped me by sharing information and their experiences on this route. I walked the Dragonte on the first day of snow, on 10/28. It was beautiful. I had no real problem with way finding. There was one way mark that was knocked down at a fork, probably by a car. Hope they repair that soon. It was lying on the ground but its position made it clear it was the right fork leading uphill. The route was not so difficult as the guide book made it out to be. At the last village Villasinde, I along with another pilgrim who walked together with me that day were invited into the warm home of a wonderfully kind and sweet couple who offered us hot drinks and fruits. It was the highlight of my camino this time. I never did see the pilgrim rest area in the town of Dragonte though. The water fountain there was beautiful in the snow. Thank you again.

Thank you very much to all those in the Forum who have helped me by sharing information and their experiences on this route. I walked the Dragonte on the first day of snow, on 10/28. It was beautiful. I had no real problem with way finding. There was one way mark that was knocked down at a fork, probably by a car. Hope they repair that soon. It was lying on the ground but its position made it clear it was the right fork leading uphill. The route was not so difficult as the guide book made it out to be. At the last village Villasinde, I along with another pilgrim who walked together with me that day were invited into the warm home of a wonderfully kind and sweet couple who offered us hot drinks and fruits. It was the highlight of my camino this time. I never did see the pilgrim rest area in the town of Dragonte though. The water fountain there was beautiful in the snow. Thank you again.

That’s amazing, do you have any pics that you could share? I’ve been toying with the idea of a snow covered Camino

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
That’s amazing, do you have any pics that you could share? I’ve been toying with the idea of a snow covered Camino
Yes I do have pictures. I will download it to my computer and share it shortly.

Most read last week in this forum

La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...
I was reading somewhere that some of us are doing night walks. As a natural born night owl I would love to do such walk too. Of course I can choose stage by myself (CF). But was wondering if any...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back