• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dramatic change of plans: No CF, No Mozarabe, No Aragones: Language lessons

alexwalker

Forever Pilgrim
Time of past OR future Camino
2009-2022: CFx6, CP, VdlPx2, Mozarabe, more later.
I had such high plans for the coming spring: Walking one of the above Caminos, with my (very) imperfect Spanish. Oh, well,

I will spend next Easter in Alicante in 2016 with my girlfriend (heck at 63, she's not a girl, but oh well). Now I discovered that there is a school teaching Spanish in Alicante, so I have decided to enroll at the end of our stay, send the woman back home, and attend 4 weeks of intensive language education, and staying with a host family on half board (br.fast+dinner) all at a total of 1270 Euros for a whole month. Same as my monthly Camino budget, so no difference.

It has always irritated me that I was not fully capable of respecting the Spanish people by speaking other than gibberish pilgrim Spanish. OK, I do better than many, but... Now, I intend to correct it. I will speak Spanish like a priest after 4 intensive weeks (I hope).

So, I have changed focus. 1 1/2 week of holiday with my woman in Alicante, then 4 weeks of intensive language training, and then a month or so on some Camino, practising, repeating and honing my new language skills. Maybe afterwards, I can do the Aragones (or similar) after all, all the way to SdC? Is that a plan, or?

Here is where I am going to book: http://www.enforex.com/ Friendly and very service-minded people. I have been doing research and investigation for a few days, and I came up with them as the best choice, for me at least. I especially like the idea of staying with a Spanish family and having for food what they have. I may even teach them a thing or two about Norw. bacalao (salted Norw. cod) :)

I know I am a bit old (61) compared to most of the students to be, but hopefully there's the odd old crazy person like me there.

Anyway, I have decided I need to speak more of the language of the land I am walking through, and where I know I will spend time in the future.

Last edited:
Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great decision Alex! I too would like to continue my Spanish language education next year in an immersion program. When I walked the Inglés in October I walked 5 days and didn't speak English. I sure wish my Spanish was better.

I had such high plans for the coming spring: Walking one of the above Caminos, with my (very) imperfect Spanish. Oh, well,

I will spend next Easter in Alicente in 2016 with my girlfriend (heck at 63, she's not a girl, but oh well). Now I discovered that there is a school teaching Spanish in Alicante, so I have decided to enroll at the end of our stay, send the woman back home, and attend 4 weeks of intensive language education, and staying with a host family on half board (br.fast+dinner) all at a total of 1270 Euros for a whole month. Same as my monthly Camino budget, so no difference.

It has always irritated me that I was not fully capable of respecting the Spanish people by speaking other than gibberish pilgrim Spanish. OK, I do better than many, but... Now, I intend to correct it. I will speak Spanish like a priest after 4 intensive weeks (I hope).

So, I have changed focus. 1 1/2 week of holiday with my woman in Alicante, then 4 weeks of intensive language training, and then a month or so on some Camino, practising, repeating and honing my new language skills. Maybe afterwards, I can do the Aragones (or similar) after all, all the way to SdC? Is that a plan, or?

Here is where I am going to book: http://www.enforex.com/ Friendly and very service-minded people. I know I am a bit old (61) compared to most of the students to be, but hopefully there's the odd old crazy person like me there.

Anyway, I have decided I need to speak more of the language of the land I am walking through, and where I know I will spend time in the future.
I wish you well good thing your doing it after your walk to get the brain cells fresh. For those of us keeping track of your effort I can only say great idea!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you, my peregrino friends. It is a combination of respect towards the Spanish and dislike of my own disability to fully understand. It is OK to be able to ask for directions, a beer, bed, cama, and so on, but the disability to have a meaningful conversation is really bugging me. In addition, the concept of respect is biting me a little. So I want to speak more. Spanish, that is. :)

Great decision Alex! I too would like to continue my Spanish language education next year in an immersion program. When I walked the Inglés in October I walked 5 days and didn't speak English. I sure wish my Spanish was better.
Thanks Mike!

Yes, I want to feel more comfortable language-wise. and the idea of living in a Spanish family, sharing food, coversation and so on, really attracts me. I SO hope that I will learn even more than my daily 5 hours of schooling. Anyway, I will give it my best shot.

Edit: How good to get such feedback from what I consider Camino friends in here!

Last edited:
Annie & Laurie,

Your opinions mean a lot to me: And I just want to pay some respect to the people who take care of me on my walks, me wanting to understand them better, and hopefully give something in return as I walk, whatever that might be.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!

I will spend next Easter in Alicente in 2016 with my girlfriend (heck at 63, she's not a girl, but oh well). Now I discovered that there is a school teaching Spanish in Alicante, so I have decided to enroll at the end of our stay, send the woman back home, and attend 4 weeks of intensive language education, and staying with a host family on half board (br.fast+dinner) all at a total of 1270 Euros for a whole month. Same as my monthly Camino budget, so no difference.

Here is where I am going to book: http://www.enforex.com/ Friendly and very service-minded people. I have been doing research and investigation for a few days, and I came up with them as the best choice, for me at least. I especially like the idea of staying with a Spanish family and having for food what they have. I may even teach them a thing or two about Norw. bacalao (salted Norw. cod) :)

I know I am a bit old (61) compared to most of the students to be, but hopefully there's the odd old crazy person like me there.

This sounds wonderful, Alex; I wish you all the best. Just such a thought is germinating in my mind, so it's wonderful to hear of someone whose plans are already underway. I hope to do exactly what you are planning, and to tack on some 'hospitalera-ing' at some point.....the latter, of course, after my Spanish has improved. Best wishes to you. :)

Icacos: I must be honest and say that the thought has occured to me: Maybe I can qualify as a humble hospitalero somewhere, enhancing the pilgrim experience? I would like to do that, indeed. Why do we not jump at it, then? To me, atleast, it would cost me literally nothing, except from compassion and caretaking.

Hello Alex,
What a wonderful plan for 2016. I did a similar immersion program after university spending time in France. What worked for me is to focus on accent first and foremost. It really helped that I learned how to make sounds like a native Frenchman. I guess it depends on your objective, but when you said you wanted to speak like a priest I thought it may be something to consider. :)

I expect that you will find a Spanish club in Norway in or near your city. Seek for every opportunity to practice your Spanish and it will aid your immersion process and also assist you afterwards. I still read French newspapers on the internet - reading them out loud - so that I can retail some semblance of a decent accent. As we age I notice this has become more difficult and it frustrates me that my old mouth does not form sounds like it once did.

It made me happy to read this today. May your plans bring you much joy and your relationships with the Spanish people grow in warmth, respect, and kindness.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Wow, Alex, that is dramatic! But it sounds like a good investment for a long future of walks through Spain -- Laurie
I hope so, Laurie. My family history is not with me - we men die relatively young. But I hope to have many joyful years of walking ahead of me, and what could be better than indulging in the local language and life, instead of just being a bypasser?

Hello Alex,
What a wonderful plan for 2016. I did a similar immersion program after university spending time in France. What worked for me is to focus on accent first and foremost.
I have been practisising a lot on the fine art of saying the word "Cerveza", and I think by now I sound like a real Spaniard...

It made me happy to read this today. May your plans bring you much joy and your relationships with the Spanish people grow in warmth, respect, and kindness.
These words from you put warmth to my heart. Thank you so much. good man.

Icacos: I must be honest and say that the thought has occured to me: Maybe I can qualify as a humble hospitalero somewhere, enhancing the pilgrim experience? I would like to do that, indeed. Why do we not jump at it, then? To me, atleast, it would cost me literally nothing, except from compassion and caretaking.
Alex, there's time yet for you to do all this. The problem is that the Camino is so far away for some of us is that, at least for me, I like to get all my ducks in a row before I even set off.....just to keep my options open. Plus, I've just taken the hospitalera training. :)

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The problem is that the Camino is so far away for some of us is that, at least for me, I like to get all my ducks in a row before I even set off....
Indeed. Going overseas must take a lot of planning and money, not to mention the time/money constraints imposed by rigorous work contracts. It's sooo much easier for us Europeans. Nevertheless, I shall offer you water and foot treatment when I one day meet you on the Way.

I did a 4 week intensive beginner's Spanish course in Granada before my first camino. In the classroom it went well, but in the bars I couldn't understand a thing. This was because I was taught "proper" Spanish, not the version spoken in Andalucia. Nevertheless I left the school with survival level Spanish which was very useful on the camino Mozarabe and VdlP. Even if I understood little of what was said to me, the people could understand what I was saying. I did another 4 weeks the following year and now have the Spanish skills of a 2 year old. Well, almost!

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I did another 4 weeks the following year and now have the Spanish skills of a 2 year old. Well, almost!
LOL: Now I know what to expect! :) I will nevertheless go on with this, trying to learn a little more Espanol! :)

I attended the Enforex school in Alicante. I found the staff and the classes to be very good.

Watch your head. A piece of the facade broke off the wall over the school door while I was there.

You'll have a similar experience as AJ in that Alicante is on the fringes of where Catalan is spoken ...

Alicante itself is not a very interesting place unless you like beaches.

And one other thing ... forget about the cerveza ... try the vino tinto.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
WOW - Alex what a star. I had hoped to do a 10-14 day course in Pamplona (maybe your example will motivate me), but a whole month you will be able to interpret for all your fellow pilgrims. I especially like the idea of living with a local family, thus they will get some of the financial reward and as you say learn a bit about Norway. A true Buen Camino.

Good plan!! I just spent 4 weeks in intensive Spanish language school in San Miguel de Allende, Mexico and it was wonderful. I will be interested to hear how your experience was, and don't think you are too old (I'm 69.) Diviertete!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I did a 4 week intensive beginner's Spanish course in Granada before my first camino. In the classroom it went well, but in the bars I couldn't understand a thing. This was because I was taught "proper" Spanish, not the version spoken in Andalucia. Nevertheless I left the school with survival level Spanish which was very useful on the camino Mozarabe and VdlP. Even if I understood little of what was said to me, the people could understand what I was saying. I did another 4 weeks the following year and now have the Spanish skills of a 2 year old. Well, almost!

Yes, the accent in Granada is quite different from the "normative" spoken in Madrid or Burgos.
In Alicante, they have Valencian accent but is easier to understand.

Thank you, my peregrino friends. It is a combination of respect towards the Spanish and dislike of my own disability to fully understand. It is OK to be able to ask for directions, a beer, bed, cama, and so on, but the disability to have a meaningful conversation is really bugging me. In addition, the concept of respect is biting me a little. So I want to speak more. Spanish, that is. :)

Sounds like a good plan! Any chance that you will be writing a blog about your experiences in language school to keep your readers informed (and entertained)?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Great idea. I can speak about 4 words of Spanish and it's my one disappointment, that I can't communicate, even at a elementary level, with the wonderful people of Spain . . . . or even the Spanish speaking people here in North America.

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Ah~, Alicante. I spent 3 days (not long enough) there last year after completing my camino partly because the city once was listed as one of the best cities in the world to live on a low budget in an article. You will love the city and the beach/port area and local food/wine. Enjoy your stay in Alicante.

http://www.lifeadvancer.com/the-10-...n-a-dime-so-you-can-bring-your-dreams-to-life
Been there 2 times the last two years. It is indeed a lovely little city with great tapas bars etc. 5 hours learning each day and then a dip into the Mediteranian before lunch (tapas + cerveza). A daily routine I can easily fit into. :)

What a great thing to do. I hope I get the opportunity to attend a Spanish course in Spain some day. During my first stay in SdeC I was staying in a pension with 5 other women from South America, every day they went off to the university for a Spanish course and I thought to myself "I want to do that" Such a wonderful way to learn the Spanish culture and language (and of course the food and wine) All the best to you, I hope you will keep us updated on your adventure.

Hi Alex,
I love the idea. You have set me thinking, perhaps for 2017 (I will be 61 then also). I think you are correct; to be able to speak with the local people using their language is a true mark of respect, especially when you have gone to the trouble and expense of learning it.
Aidan

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I will follow this thread so please keep posting when you are there. I spend 3 months in Spain this summer and my hopes were high in the beginning to at least improve my meager Spanish vocabulary. ...disappointingly that was not the case...l understand more...but speaking not so much. I have similar plans for my next stay in Spain..it will include an intense course. You will enjoy Alicante..l stayed in Valencia at the end and yes they have their own flavor.

Dang, Alex. how many languages do you already speak? Great the way Norwegians just get after it and learn them. I'm very impressed.

Somewhere just before my 60th birthday I decided I was tired of my French being so bad, so I started one-on-one video Skype lessons with some native teachers. Hard work, but really worth it. One of my teachers lived right off the Via Francigena, and had us over for dinner and a tour of the town. It has really improved my experience in France.

Good luck with that course!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Great idea. I considered an intensive language school with them too, for my recent (2nd) Camino but due to last minute events had to change that plan. How did you find out about the accomodation with a family. That would be a great experience.

Dang, Alex. how many languages do you already speak? Great the way Norwegians just get after it and learn them. I'm very impressed.

Somewhere just before my 60th birthday I decided I was tired of my French being so bad, so I started one-on-one video Skype lessons with some native teachers. Hard work, but really worth it. One of my teachers lived right off the Via Francigena, and had us over for dinner and a tour of the town. It has really improved my experience in France.

Good luck with that course!
Thanks a lot!

Well, I speak Norwegian of course, and therefore I have control over the Swedish and Danish languages; English (my work/professional language as a computer engineer for 35 years), German, rather fluently, a little Italian (enough to get by), and a little Spanish (enough to get by, but wanting much more). As for Russian, I only know a couple of phrases, but enough to make them laugh and me being considered a good guy/friend. :)

In an Internet language test of my Spanish skills from the school I intend to attend, I scored 25% correct. I was classified as a beginner (level 1, 1 level above being a complete ignorant)...:(;)

Great idea. I considered an intensive language school with them too, for my recent (2nd) Camino but due to last minute events had to change that plan. How did you find out about the accomodation with a family. That would be a great experience.

Enforex, Don Quijote, and other language schools offer home stay accommodation as part of the service provided in addition to the classes.

I stayed in apartments managed by the school with other students at Granada, Guanajuato Mexico, Salamanca, and Alicante. Its problematic because the average student is early 20's and wants to drink and have parties while you want to sleep.

Many students go the home stay route. I haven't done that but I heard the stories. Some of the home stays are excellent experiences where you are made part of the family. Others are in it for the money and you wind up being a tolerated guest on the pull out bed in the living room with oatmeal for breakfast. The former being more common than the latter. In particular in Guanajuato I was invited as a classmate of the home stay guest to participate in some of the home stay family activities ... which is really a good experience.

The schools are found in most of Spain and Latin American cities. You get to live in the city and experience life in another culture for however many weeks you stay there while learning a language.

I figure in another 20 years I'll be speaking Spanish fluently ...

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am going for the home stay in a Spanish family. Might even cook a proper Norw. fish meal. There is an excellent indoor market in Alicante.

About host families: Heck, I am an experienced pilgrim; I can sleep in ANY environment! :)

And one other thing ... forget about the cerveza ... try the vino tinto.
Thanks for sharing your experience of Alicante! And: Cerveza for lunch; vino tinto para cena ;)

Last edited:
Great plan, Alex! I did this last june for 5 weeks in Peru. Had a great time and learned some good Spanish and afterwards i had a whole camino to test and improve my new found skills.

Now im starting a course back home, just to not forget the newly learned lessons and improve more.

Alex, I think it sounds absolutely splendid - all except for the bacalao. I'm assuming you boil it to a jelly as our dear Norwegian friends love it. Almost as bad as brown cheese! Whereas Norwegian smoked beef and smoked salmon, yum yum....nothing better.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Great plan, Alex! I did this last june for 5 weeks in Peru. Had a great time and learned some good Spanish and afterwards i had a whole camino to test and improve my new found skills.

Now im starting a course back home, just to not forget the newly learned lessons and improve more.
Dutch, where exactly did you study in Peru? Thanks!

Kudos for your plans to improve your Spanish. As someone who speaks multiple languages, you will progress rapidly.

A couple of thoughts...

First, you might find the attached article interesting:

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/16/o...dule=Search&mabReward=relbias:r,{"2":"RI:18"}

Also, when you are finished with your course you may want to maintain your language skills. I try to do this with my French by having conversation exchanges with native speakers of French. We usually speak (via Skype) for 20 minutes in French or English and then switch to the other language. I also do a written exchange. PM me if you would like to get a recommendation on an exchange site and my experience on how to make these exchanges productive.

Congratulations on challenging yourself in a way that will bring you many benefits.

Dutch, where exactly did you study in Peru? Thanks!
This was in Cuzco, with languageschool Fairservices. Fantastic city to spend a few weeks in. Also lots of hiking in ghe area. The school was wonderful.
Loved the idea of them educating and employing local single moms as teachers. This was something different from all the other schools out there.
School was started and is run by a Belgian guy, years ago.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Alex, I think it sounds absolutely splendid - all except for the bacalao. I'm assuming you boil it to a jelly as our dear Norwegian friends love it. Almost as bad as brown cheese! Whereas Norwegian smoked beef and smoked salmon, yum yum....nothing better.
You are thinking of another dish, which is only for people with special interests...

Bacalao is a caserole with layers of onions, potato slices, watered salt cod, chopped tomatoes, olives, plenty of garlic, chili, etc. Simmer for 1 hour. Serve with plenty of Rioja in your glass... Actually, only one of several hundred recipes. In Portugal, you are not qualified to become a housewife unless you know how to make bacalao in 365 different ways... Also a very popular caserole in Italy, Spain, Brazil, phillipines & other Spanish/portuguise speaking countries. Cod is big export from Norway to those countries. Going now to my fridge for a thick slice of smoked salmon...;)

Say YES to bacalao. Getting hungry now, I feel like having some bacalao with avocado, tomato, and olive oil. Mi santa madre (my mom) used to prepare arroz con bacalao, ensalada de bacalao, serenata de bacalao, and gazpacho de bacalao--those were the good times. Already then, now let's go back to the original subject of learning el idioma de Español.

I didn't know when my husband and I moved to Mexico (from the USA) 8 years ago that my learning Spanish would be so helpful in my future Caminos. I heartily recommend learning as much Spanish as possible because it makes the Spanish people break out in big grins when you speak it (not to mention a great way to keep an aging brain more sharp). Also, it is very gratifying to translate for other non-Spanish speaking pilgrims. We have a great Spanish school in Morelia Michoacan where I live in case anyone would be interested. Just send me a PM and I will send you the details.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I heartily recommend learning as much Spanish as possible because it makes the Spanish people break out in big grins when you speak it
Completely agree.

Not to mention the inclusiveness you feel when you start speaking a little Spanish: People start talking like you're a native, and I have had many a hard time trying to keep up with the conversation, but somehow most times have managed to appear understanding and participating in the conversation. And it is educating for me, too! But I want to dig deeper, and luckily, my woman has no problems seeing that. She has also seen how we both benefit from my meager Spanish, and she understands the importance of improving me. Oh well, she always try to...;)

I will spend next Easter in Alicante in 2016 with my girlfriend (heck at 63, she's not a girl, but oh well). Now I discovered that there is a school teaching Spanish in Alicante, so I have decided to enroll at the end of our stay, send the woman back home, and attend 4 weeks of intensive language education, and staying with a host family on half board (br.fast+dinner) all at a total of 1270 Euros for a whole month. Same as my monthly Camino budget, so no difference.

Hola Alex,

Yours is simply one of the finest posts I've ever read on this site.

It's inspiring to hear your commitment to learn more Spanish to both communicate better with and shoe respect for such marvellous friendly people and their wonderful country. It opens many doors and it's amazing just how people in turn will appreciate and even applaud the effort you will have put in even if still a bit basic.

I walked winter 2014, the weather was vile (except for nine glorious days of photo type) and there were very few pilgrims on the track. Practically none of the locals spoke any English at all, and this was the pattern for most of my time in Spain. But the locals were wonderful, and I think this was because I had a go.

Felicidades. Que le vaya bien

De colores

Bogong

€83,-
That's it: 4 weeks of Spanish schooling booked next spring in Alicante. 150 Euros deposit paid. Point of no return has just been crossed.

It's very much like starting a Camino: The moment the flight is booked, there is really no going back :)

I am relieved and looking forward to something completely new in life. Imagine this old Norw. pilgrim chatting effortlessly with the locals on his next Camino! (hmm, I hope) ;):)

Most read last week in this forum

My name is Henrik and I will be coming down to SJPdP from Sweden on March 26 and start walking on March 27. I don't really have any experience and I'm not the best at planning and I'm a little...
When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back