• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drawing route lines on topographic maps

Theo

Hi,

To draw your St James route in France, you can use this web site (in French, English and Italian) :

http://www.openrunner.com/

... where you'll find a Google map with a specific tool to help you to draw your way on the map.

After having done this task, by clicking on "IGN MAP" you'll find your "way" on an IGN map [Available zoom to a 1/25 000 map].

The drawing on the IGN map is less easy ... ?

HERE, for example, a Breton St-James stage ...

Théo

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Re: Fetching map tiles from map servers

Hi,

I know, Peter, and I also use it...

... but what is interesting with "openrunner" is the fact that, after having used the -- improved by openrunner tools -- basic Google Maps to draw your route lines, the same lines are "transfered" on a 1/25000 IGN map which will be sufficiently accurate to follow your way without guide book.

Théo

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I've split this discussion into a separate thread.

You can edit any of your Google MyMaps - or enter a new one - with a mapbase of any of the topographic maps used by my site including the French and Spanish IGNs by using my program at http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/mymaps.html
This uses Google's new Maps Data API.

If you set the api-visible option for a MyMap, then other programs can access your maps, such as my 'theirmap' program. Here's an example of one which forum user newfydog just set up for the Menton-Arles route http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/f/theirma ... f434e.html This fetches the lines from his MyMaps area and then displays them over the IGN maps.

I've tried to make the help clear, but let me know if anything's not clear.

In principle, Google's API allows selection according to attributes, but this currently still has some problems with it. Eventually, we should be able to access only particular sections or particular points of a MyMap.

Thank you, Peter ...

... but your 2nd link seems not to work or ...? No map displayed ...

I don't have found the way to use my MyMaps data to display my stages lines over the IGN maps.

Do we get the same map that with "Openrunner" ?

Théo

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
hmm, then there's something wrong with using IE with that program. Took a look through the code but nothing obvious. Problem is I don't normally use Windows and it's so much bother to start it up that I don't test much with IE these days. I will have to investigate further.

Peter Robins said:
If you set the api-visible option for a MyMap, then other programs can access your maps, such as my 'theirmap' program. Here's an example of one which forum user newfydog just set up for the Menton-Arles route http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/f/theirma ... f434e.html This fetches the lines from his MyMaps area and then displays them over the IGN maps.

Peter's program is working well. We're covering about 900 km this spring, from Menton to Toulouse. Much of the route is new, and even the established route has a reputation fo being poorly marked.

I found good maps of the route from Arles here:
http://www.gr-infos.com/gr653a.htm

I got the preliminary guidebook for the route from Menton to Arles from the Amis des Chemins de Compostelle and drew the route out in Google Earth. Peter posted that above

Combining the two, I now have my entire route on IGN topos, and in my GPS. I plan to spend less time fooling with maps and more time enjoying my trip this year!

http://maps.peterrobins.co.uk/f/mymaps/ ... 92342.html

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
there's always a reason - just a question of finding it :)

I tried this about an hour ago, and got an internal server error. I couldn't find out what the problem was, and just tried again. This time it worked without problem. Try again; if you still have a problem, email or pm me with more details of what doesn't work, time, and what error you get.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Thank you,Peter.

It works again.

I sent my post because only this web page on your Internet site did not work...

Théo

Hi Peter,

It seems that the IGN map link I send to my friends can no more be opened by them !

This link for example ...

Thank you in advance for your explanation.

Theo

I shall have to think again on this whole subject, as Google have now withdrawn their Maps Data API, so neither of the mymaps or theirmap programs will work after end Jan. Should work until then, but I don't think it's worth investigating any particular problem file as it will only work for max a month anyway.

A selection of Camino Jewellery

Most read last week in this forum

Could I ask what may be naive question. This will be my 1st Camino and I will be mostly staying in alberques. Could you please explain the bathroom/shower etiquette to me? I have no idea what...
Do i need both these apps? I want to spend as little time my device as possible so if one app will do fine that’s my preference.
I was planning to document my journey through my blog (or Vlog, as I would probably take lots of videos). I was thinking of using my iPhone, and I ordered a foldable keyboard to facilitate typing...
I did the Norte in 2017. This set off a wild ride of changes in life - shifting many things. I am now at a new plateau and it feels like the right time to do Camino #2, this time the...
Hi to all, I'm looking for a really, really good place (an artist) to get a Tattoo in Santiago, it could be before Santiago but I presume in Santiago I will be ready to have my first one. The...
My daughter and I will be on the Portuguese on June and July starting in Lisbon. We will arrive in Porto about the 27th of June. We want to stay for three nights. Can we stay in an albergue for...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back