• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drawstring bag to hold backpack

cher99840

Veteran Member
Time of past OR future Camino
2013, 2017 Camino Frances SJPP-Santiago
2015 St. Olav's Way Oslo-Trondheim
2017 VdlP Seville-Merida
Recently I have seen one thread and maybe two that had some links to inexpensive bags in which to place pack for checking. Can someone point me in the right direction? My searches are not coming up with the links that I think I remember.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I got super cheap duffel bag with a zipper from Sears. It worked great. It was sturdy enough to survive the baggage treatment and light enough to roll up and carry.

Thanks. I'm thinking there was something like a big colorful laundry type bag linked in the past. I've searched forum and googled laundry bags and not coming up with what I think I saw :(
This may not be much use to, being in Australia as I am. but I use a Zip Away tote bag that I bought from a Kathmandu store in Austalia. It is a bright yellow colour so is very easy to notice on the carousel, and it has enough room in it to take the backpack plus other loose items such as boots and clothes that I might want to access as soon as I land in Spain. When loaded the bag is roughly the shape of a duffel bag, and has both a shoulder strap or a handle so that you can carry it, and when not in use folds away into a small pouch that is attached to it and closed with its own zipper.

Hope I have been of some use. You only just caught me, I leave for Spain in 8 days!

Alan

Be brave. Life is joyous!

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
A tip as to carry on bag and weight. Yes, certainly in Europe, they are pretty strict as to case dimensions but, generally, less so about the weight; BUT if you look as if you are struggling to carry it easily they will weigh it.

What to do if you fear the case is going to be "overweight"?

Well, they don't, in general, weigh passengers. So wear more clothes and shove heavy items (cameras, books, gadgets etc) in pockets.

If you can afford it, consider buying something like a SCOTTeVEST (http://www.scottevest.com/index_international.shtml).

And no, I don't own one (but would like to!) and don't work for them but they strike me as a possible solution to possible carry on problems and, additionally, could obviate the need for cargo hold luggage.

I couldn't even contemplate checking my pack in. To lose it on the way there would be a disaster.After my first Camino I caught an ALSA bus. When I had to leave my pack underneath I felt real pangs of separation. (Having said that I only have a waist bag now).

A guide to speaking Spanish on the Camino - enrich your pilgrim experience.
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
My backpack went in the cabin
I now begin caminos with a relaxed attitude. Delayed baggage is one among myriad challenges, and one I can deal with. I check my backpack and trekking poles. Twice in a couple dozen flights my bags have been delayed. I now plan for it with a bed reservation at my destination so that I have an address for delivery of my backpack. I take very few anxieties with me!;)

That is just me; I have met many pilgrims with a backpack full of anxiety. They try to leave them behind with a stone on each mojone, like a stone at the Iron Cross. I hope that works for them!

This is what I used for the Camino Portuguese I just finished.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10035589&N=&Ntt=reisenthel+laundry+bag

My journey included five air segments, both intercontinental (US to Europe) and within Europe. It worked perfectly and is distinctive on baggage carousels.

I just pulled the cords shut, attached a luggage tag and double knotted a bow - like tieing shoes. Plus, it folds down to about the size of a deck of playing cards, weighs less than that and is easily machine or hand washable. I just threw mine in a washing machine as the chance presented itself.

This particular bag is available in varied patterns and colors from this source. I chose the green as it matched my rucksack.

BTW, it easily held my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack fully loaded, I mean fully overloaded...but that is another story...

I hope this helps.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
This is what I used for the Camino Portuguese I just finished.

http://www.containerstore.com/shop?productId=10035589&N=&Ntt=reisenthel+laundry+bag

My journey included five air segments, both intercontinental (US to Europe) and within Europe. It worked perfectly and is distinctive on baggage carousels.

I just pulled the cords shut, attached a luggage tag and double knotted a bow - like tieing shoes. Plus, it folds down to about the size of a deck of playing cards, weighs less than that and is easily machine or hand washable. I just threw mine in a washing machine as the chance presented itself.

This particular bag is available in varied patterns and colors from this source. I chose the green as it matched my rucksack.

BTW, it easily held my Osprey Kestrel 48 liter pack fully loaded, I mean fully overloaded...but that is another story...

I hope this helps.
Andreo
How was your camino. Did you take a lot of rain. ? I am staring my Camino Portugues in May 2 and I am a little anxious about the rain.

You may want to use a airporter from Osprey that you can get at rei. Here is a picture of my kids that has been used on several of their trips.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    739.5 KB · Views: 57
Recently I have seen one thread and maybe two that had some links to inexpensive bags in which to place pack for checking. Can someone point me in the right direction? My searches are not coming up with the links that I think I remember.

I just ordered a canvas drawstring bag from "www.totebagfactory.com." Total price, including shipping, was $10.89. The bag also has a shoulder strap. It should arrive tomorrow. I am hoping to take it to a sewing place to see if they can put three or four metal reinforced holes in it, through which I could put either a small lock or at least a couple of those heavy plastic electrical ties. It won't stop a determined thief in an airport or an albergue, but it would probably tend to send your average pick pocket or other opportunist on to an easier target.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Andreo
How was your camino. Did you take a lot of rain. ? I am staring my Camino Portugues in May 2 and I am a little anxious about the rain.

I started at Porto on 1 April and finished on 10 April at Santiago. I hit intermittent rain ONLY on the last two days before Santiago I encountered NO RAIN in Portugal. The skies were cloudless, blue, with temperatures of 27/80 degrees.

I actually had a problem with heat stroke. Here are two, very general guidelines to making sure you are well hydrated.

1. If you are not having to "water the grass" along the way, you are not drinking enough. Once your body has enough it processes excess water into urine, and what naturally occurs does. But, if you are not taking in enough your body takes water from your skin, tissue and organs.

2. If you stop perspiring / sweating and it is sunny or warm, you are not drinking enough. The next step is heat prostration, or fainting. I did - three times. I am being medically evaluated for bad things because of my age (62).

I feel SO STUPID. I failed to follow my own advice and ended up eating soil in both Portugal and Spain...yuck!

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have probably paid for my walking poles 3x over because they have to be checked into the hold. I have contemplated mailing them to my starting point next time.
Walking without them is just not an option, and the ones sold en route are not as good.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Cher, you may be referring to posts about professional laundry bags that you can use to protect your pack.
Poll: Which backpacks are most popular on the Caminos?
I actually still have several brand new ones of various colors and will send you one if you PM me. They are not all bright colors, but they are very sturdy. We use them for boy scouts going to summer camp on the plane. Great way to have the gear self-contained.
Rambler

Last edited:
Cher, you may be referring to posts about professional laundry bags that you can use to protect your pack.
Poll: Which backpacks are most popular on the Caminos?
I actually still have several brand new ones of various colors and will send you one if you PM me. They are not all bright colors, but they are very sturdy. We use them for boy scouts going to summer camp on the plane. Great way to have the gear self-contained.
Rambler
Thank you so much for your generous offer. I wound up buying the Osprey Airporter and it met my needs fine.

United Airlines provided me with a plastic bag to ship my pack as checked luggage on my return flight. I carried on my pack on my way to Spain.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!

Most read last week in this forum

Hi there, I’m starting my first Camino Frances early May, and I don’t know whether I need hiking poles or not? I’m 26 years old, relatively fit and don’t have any injuries (yet!) I used poles for...
First Camino and walking with my wife. Decision time. Fleece and Puffer. I think one only but weather looks changeable at the moment. Trying to keep under 7kgs! Looking forward to a experience of...
Hi. Shawn and Lainey are a lovely couple - so positive! - who now live in Galicia and have a Youtube presence "Days we Spend" with plenty of excellent and informative Camino videos - they are...
My son has advised me to delete unnecessary apps, books, podcasts, downloaded videos etc from my iPhone. Saves up to 250gms. Great weight saving hack.
I am finally embarking on my first camino later this year. I will be taking my Canon R6 camera with me. For others that have taken DLSR’s or mirrorless cameras, what lens or lenses did you find...
With this device, you can pack everything you might want (including your fears) irrespective of weight.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.