• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

dreadful walk,awful people,

jennie

Time of past OR future Camino
from st jean - estella 2013 ponferrada-santiago 2012.hope/expect to do full camino with y
sister in sept 14. we completed our walk in 2014?puenta la reina to belarado june 2016,
terrible place the camino frances, just the worst people,awful food,no views to mention, thats my plan to stem the flow and help prevent the need to prebook a bed.,,simple, really bear with me ! instead of coming home raving about the wonderful views ,amazing people that changed your life and the camino ,camino ,camino that we all do ,spread the word that its a dreadful place and DO NOT tell anybody that you will go back at the first chance you get !and DO NOT tell them that you still have your bag half packed just in case?who is on board ? it might not be too late,,,,

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
I leave for the Camino Frances in 9 days. I must admit, some of the posts over the last few days have scared me a little, especially the one about the Hospitalero who threw the packs down on the floor and yelled "leave, leave!!" I am scared that some of the Camino veterans might have posted rave reviews of the Camino, just so we "newbies" will go and suffer as they have suffered. (Just kidding!) The other one that scared me was someone posted something about "There will be pain, and there will be plenty of time to think about it" :( I feel I am ready for the refining fire of the Camino and will come out of this stronger and more confident, with some of my sharp edges burnished away. It's time to "put on my big girl panties" and get on with it.:D

I leave for the Camino Frances in 9 days. I must admit, some of the posts over the last few days have scared me a little, especially the one about the Hospitalero who threw the packs down on the floor and yelled "leave, leave!!" I am scared that some of the Camino veterans might have posted rave reviews of the Camino, just so we "newbies" will go and suffer as they have suffered. (Just kidding!) The other one that scared me was someone posted something about "There will be pain, and there will be plenty of time to think about it" :( I feel I am ready for the refining fire of the Camino and will come out of this stronger and more confident, with some of my sharp edges burnished away. It's time to "put on my big girl panties" and get on with it.:D

Do you know, your post struck a chord with me....I feel scared too! (And it is not my first camino!)
All this talk of bed bugs and no room at the inn and now even unpleasant hospitaleros....
Just don't worry, take it as it comes, you may love it or maybe hate it....At least you will have tried it.
I wish you a very good camino.
Dominique

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Still time to chose a different route! Don't say you were not warned ;). As I type this paet of me is kidding, the other will never be found on the Frances again other than in winter. But as they say, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, and lucky you, you don't have the good old days when we used to walk to school barefoot in 12 inches of snow for 2 miles a day, and back to compare yojr experience to o_O. And you have learned her not to put your bag on beds, not to think the chair by the bed is for you to hog with your bag, not to take long showers, not to get out of bed when it's still dark out, not to flash your headlamp in peoplés faces, to turn off your cell and it's alarm clock, not to use plastic bags for packing in the morning, to clean the kitchen and bathroom sinks when you are done with them, to use or not use permethryn not to carry bed bugs... Sorry, I am out of breath :).

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Am on the Frances route at Leon this very moment. I have one blister which is under control and a nagging pain in my left thigh. The gap between my big toe and its neighbour feels odd due to use of flip-flops when not actually hiking. I am one of the better pilgrims health wise. I have passed many people that are walking like cripples and one walking partner ( a girl in her early20s) has already quit with a burst knee. As has already been reported another pilgrim collapsed and died en route. There are many people that fall by the way side.
I shared a coffee with a lovely young girl from Surrey who said she was considering quitting because although she liked walking doing it constantly was no joy. She wasn't too keen on being turfed out of the Albergues every morning by 8 o'clock either.
Even using industrial standard earplugs And my buff to deaden the noise generated by theunbelievable number of snorers getting a good nights sleep is a real achievement.
Every word I have written is true. Other Camino veterans will verify my experiences.
Still wanna do it?

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
terrible place the camino frances, just the worst people,awful food,no views to mention, thats my plan to stem the flow and help prevent the need to prebook a bed.,,simple, really bear with me ! instead of coming home raving about the wonderful views ,amazing people that changed your life and the camino ,camino ,camino that we all do ,spread the word that its a dreadful place and DO NOT tell anybody that you will go back at the first chance you get !and DO NOT tell them that you still have your bag half packed just in case?who is on board ? it might not be too late,,,,
You nearly had me going Jennie and wondered what I'd gotten myself in for in August!! But I promise when I get home I'll tell everyone it was terrible regardless!!

I am sitting in Cizur Menor as I write this. Life is bloody awful. I think the sun might burn my nose if I don't turn around. Everyone here is speaking Spanish! You would not believe how many Spaniards are here!

Pamplona had so many cafes I think I may have even gained weight on this first bit.

For a while there I was worried that we might not find beds at night but now I am in an alburgue that has turtles in a pond out back. Now I worry one might bite my toes off while I sleep tonight.

You really don't want to do this. I mean , really, who walks anywhere these days? No one that's who and there's a reason for that!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
I am sitting in Cizur Menor as I write this. Life is bloody awful. I think the sun might burn my nose if I don't turn around. Everyone here is speaking Spanish! You would not believe how many Spaniards are here!

Pamplona had so many cafes I think I may have even gained weight on this first bit.

For a while there I was worried that we might not find beds at night but now I am in an alburgue that has turtles in a pond out back. Now I worry one might bite my toes off while I sleep tonight.

You really don't want to do this. I mean , really, who walks anywhere these days? No one that's who and there's a reason for that!

Oh I feel for you, it is indeed a terrible place! And the hospitalera isn't at all helpful, I think she must be new at this.
As for the so-called swimming pool in the village, well it is MILES away.
No, don't even talk to me about Cizur Menor!!!
And mind those turtles! Vicious beasts.

Were you on the right path?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Are we having fun yet? I know I am! This am around 01:30 half dozen middle aged revelers came into the Albergue singing Germanic drinking songs as the came up the stairs. They all kicked off their stinking boots and left them in the pathway next to the head of my bunk. They leaned their wooden sticks against the wall and stumbled to their bunks. After the snoring commenced,I had to go to the facilities and accidentally knocked all of the wooden staves to the floor,and as I tripped over someone's boots nearly falling myself. The racket of the sticks falling was enough to stop the snoring opera for a brief time. On my return to my bunk I placed the odorous foot wear throughout the room at various locals. I don't think the shoes were all paired appropriately because of the early hour. As they all got up before daylight,there was quite a discussion amongst them trying to find matching boots in the dark. I call this the Camino Easter egg hunt. Luckily the place was not full, but fun was had by all. I look at this type of behavior as an opportunity to have fun,which I did! Remember, the Camino provides.
This will make a good chapter in the book of EL Guapo.

Do you know, your post struck a chord with me....I feel scared too! (And it is not my first camino!)
All this talk of bed bugs and no room at the inn and now even unpleasant hospitaleros....
Just don't worry, take it as it comes, you may love it or maybe hate it....At least you will have tried it.
Dominique
Yes. When I was preparing for my first Camino, my neighbor texted me the following after I experienced moments of uncertainty: " Life begins at the end of your comfort zone." I believe there is a lot of truth in that. And stepping out of our comfort zone, as we all are doing, probably should be accompanied by a little fear, to make us more alert, more aware...as we enter the Camino...and experience the many opportunities for personal/spiritual growth through the daily challenges each of us face...physical/mental/spiritual. (The 3-stages of the Camino as I once read.) This is a noble undertaking. And we become bonded in good-will with our fellow "peregrinos" with our first step.
Wishing you a Buen Camino,
Stett

Haha, @jennie , I came home from Santiago last night and I totally agree: Don't go there, folks, save your pennies and stay at home! This medieval custom must be avoided at all costs ... and I should know, it was my eighth time. Now if only I could land myself a regular job and not have all this flexibility in my life that allows me to punish myself repeatedly with foreign tapas (tiny portions!), endless greenery (sooo repetitive!) and that ever present vino in the evening (give me a nice cuppa tea!), to be forced down in the company of other sufferers (serves them right, the scoundrels). I am glad you brought this up - this cruel and unusual practice must be stopped! I'm definitely not going back again (for at least five or six months).

Even in that propaganda movie 'The Way', Joost huffs his way up that back breaking climb to the rusted out figures next to those noisy windmills on a windy and exposed hilltop (no wonder its called the Alto del Perdon) and makes the realisation:
What, you can do this on a bike? Why the hell are we walking? Oh that's ridiculous man.

Just remind me, why are we all doing this again?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
What, you can do this on a bike? Why the hell are we walking? Oh that's ridiculous man.
I always get a chuckle of out that scene.

Well it won't be long until I'm in the "camino haters club"!! :cool:
but for now I'll just have to stand on the sideline and have trepidation about all the awful things I am going to experience!! :p

Still time to chose a different route! Don't say you were not warned ;). As I type this paet of me is kidding, the other will never be found on the Frances again other than in winter. But as they say, what doesn't kill you will make you stronger, and lucky you, you don't have the good old days when we used to walk to school barefoot in 12 inches of snow for 2 miles a day, and back to compare yojr experience to o_O. And you have learned her not to put your bag on beds, not to think the chair by the bed is for you to hog with your bag, not to take long showers, not to get out of bed when it's still dark out, not to flash your headlamp in peoplés faces, to turn off your cell and it's alarm clock, not to use plastic bags for packing in the morning, to clean the kitchen and bathroom sinks when you are done with them, to use or not use permethryn not to carry bed bugs... Sorry, I am out of breath :).
This is the post that reminds me why I carried a tent and sleeping mat. I think more pilgrims would do well to consider the implications of sleeping outside. It's so pleasant waking up to a dawn chorus of birds and watching the day get lighter from inside my sleeping bag. And yes, even when it's raining. It's a drag but what a gift!!!

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
I lay awake last night until 3 am thinking about my upcoming trip. Am I taking the right shoes, do I really need those heavier trekking sandals, or should I just take my light flip flops? question after question in my mind. Do you ever feel ready?? Is this going to be a big mistake?? Will I have enough strength of character to stick it out when the going gets rough?
“It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what
makes it great.” From the movie "A League of Their Own", I'm really hoping this is true about the Camino de Santiago. People keep telling me that I'm crazy for doing this on my own, but my husband and children who know me the best, don't say that. They say that they are proud of me and tell me I can do it. I choose to believe them.

Last edited:
I lay awake last night until 3 am thinking about my upcoming trip. Am I taking the right shoes, do I really need those heavier trekking sandals, or should I just take my light flip flops? question after question in my mind. Do you ever feel ready?? Is this going to be a big mistake?? Will I have enough strength of character to stick it out when the going gets rough?
“It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard everyone would do it. The hard is what
makes it great.” From the movie "A League of Their Own", I'm really hoping this is true about the Camino de Santiago. People keep telling me that I'm crazy for doing this on my own, but my husband and children who know me the best, don't say that. they are proud of me and tell me I can do it. I choose to believe them.
You may be crazy to be doing this, like all of us addicts, but it has nothing to do with doing it on your own. Take your time, don't push your body, enjoy every step and you will be just fine. And yes, you will be planning your next Camino a few weeks after getting back home. Ultreia!

Still sitting here at Cizur Menor watching the turtles. ..I think the big one just moved...maybe not. . . Anyway, as an experienced pilgrim ( I've had a LOT to atone for) I thought I might pass on a few tips to make your camino almost bearable.

1. Wifi reception is always strongest when you are sitting on the toilet. Always check your email, update your Face Book status, post your tweets, etc, when you are on the toilet. I am squatting right now. Note: Not all toilets actually have seats. Wise pilgrims carry their own.

2. Never put your back pack on the bed. If you see a chair, that's what it's there for. Pilgrims never want to sit down.

3. Others snoring is often an issue. I have found that if you look like me, obese, over 60 etc, you can cut down on others snoring by walking around the albergue naked just before lights out. The nightmares will keep them awake all night.

4. All wine is free on Camino. Not only the vino that pours from the wall but any unattended glass or bottle was clearly left there for you.

5. Speaking of free, remember the local word for "free" is "parroquial". Parroquial hostel means free bed.

6. Remember historic pilgrims did not have showers or washing machines. No reason to be overly concerned with personal hygiene. Why do you think the cathedral in Santiago burns so much incense anyway?

7. Sleep as much as you can during the day. No one really wants to sleep at night anyway. Night is the best time to make new friends or simply fire up that Ipad and watch a movie.

8. If you meet someone from back home be sure to keep them up on current events. Americans should be sure to share news and political opinions.

If you follow these simple suggestions not only will your camino be buen but you may become legend among your fellow travelers.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I wish I could say this is a funny thread but is actually very realistic. So very much that I began to hate the Caminos, the nature, colors, language, people, food, it's just ghastly beyond belief. Therefore I decided to go to Spain once more and stomp fiercly on that Spanish soil over and over and over again and mercilessly hurt that damn dirt tracks with all of my 95 kilos and 10 kilos backpack. And with every step I want to punish it even more with my walking poles until I get to the Atlantic.

What a satisfaction that will be :mad:

I wish I could say this is a funny thread but is actually very realistic. So very much that I began to hate the Caminos, the nature, colors, language, people, food, it's just ghastly beyond belief. Therefore I decided to go to Spain once more and stomp fiercly on that Spanish soil over and over and over again and mercilessly hurt that damn dirt tracks with all of my 95 kilos and 10 kilos backpack. And with every step I want to punish it even more with my walking poles until I get to the Atlantic.

What a satisfaction that will be :mad:

It has to be done, Kinkyone and you're very brave to do it for all of us :mad:

Join the Camino Cleanup in May from Ponferrada to Sarria. Registration closes Mar 22.
You guys crack me up! I guess only those who have experienced all of this find it hilarious, I know I do. Big doings tomorrow in SDC . Holiday, should be interesting.
Remember, if you ain't laughing,it isn't funny!

3. Others snoring is often an issue. I have found that if you look like me, obese, over 60 etc, you can cut down on others snoring by walking around the albergue naked just before lights out. The nightmares will keep them awake all night.

That was you?!!!

I snorted with laughter when I read that. Thank you. Sadly the Way is full of people with no sense of humour. I absolutely don't want to suffer the agonies again.

Make sure they are quick dry big girl panties!

Metaphorically speaking, try to get over the slights quickly. Shake them off, and they will dry up and float away!

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Leaving for SJPDP tomorrow morning .... today has dragged.... dreamt last night that half way down the M1 motorway in england i remembered I'd forgotten my walking boots.... comment from my wife ... "you really do need to get this out of your system" ... don't know what she means...

Am on the Frances route at Leon this very moment. I have one blister which is under control and a nagging pain in my left thigh. The gap between my big toe and its neighbour feels odd due to use of flip-flops when not actually hiking. I am one of the better pilgrims health wise. I have passed many people that are walking like cripples and one walking partner ( a girl in her early20s) has already quit with a burst knee. As has already been reported another pilgrim collapsed and died en route. There are many people that fall by the way side.
I shared a coffee with a lovely young girl from Surrey who said she was considering quitting because although she liked walking doing it constantly was no joy. She wasn't too keen on being turfed out of the Albergues every morning by 8 o'clock either.
Even using industrial standard earplugs And my buff to deaden the noise generated by theunbelievable number of snorers getting a good nights sleep is a real achievement.
Every word I have written is true. Other Camino veterans will verify my experiences.
Still wanna do it?
Yep.

Still wanna do it?
Garith...yup still want to try it! It calls for me and yet I am not quite sure why.

And all the food along the way is terrible and drinking the inexpensive Vino Tinto in the sun is not very nice at all. ;)

The wine's awful in Spain. So is the cider. Oh, and the Orujo...Nasty stuff. Can't even get proper squeezed orange juice.
And don't get me started on the food! :rolleyes:
To remind me how bad it all is, I have to go back and try it again. And again.

The wine's awful in Spain. So is the cider. Oh, and the Orujo...Nasty stuff. Can't even get proper squeezed orange juice.
And don't get me started on the food! :rolleyes:
To remind me how bad it all is, I have to go back and try it again. And again.
I don't want to go please jesus don't make me go please God forgive me I am a sinner

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
And what about the showers! You can't even have a decent one because you're supposed to consider the next person in line. Imagine that! :confused: And often the water is barely even tepid.

And sometimes there is no toilet paper
in the servicios; we have to pack our own. :eek:

I've done a fair amount of traveling the last few years, and my hairdresser has been a bit envious.
Then I told her that I was going to walk 500 miles across northern Spain, carrying a backpack and sleeping in hostels with snoring strangers. She decided that her life was just fine!:)

I've done a fair amount of traveling the last few years, and my hairdresser has been a bit envious.
Then I told her that I was going to walk 500 miles across northern Spain, carrying a backpack and sleeping in hostels with snoring strangers. She decided that her life was just fine!:)
At last one smart human being showed up!!!
Thank you, thank you, thank you,...................................
There is still hope!

And don't get me started on the food! :rolleyes: To remind me how bad it all is, I have to go back and try it again. And again.
I wondered why so many more people walked the Caminos this year compared to last year.:eek: Not withstanding so many grumblings.:(
Look at the figures: Pilgrim arrivals in Santiago between 01.01.2016 and 30.04.2016 were 29’203, up 14% (3’640) compared to the same period in 2015 (25’563). The largest increases, compared to last year’s numbers, were on the Portugués, the Via de la Plata (25%), the Inglés (29%) and the Primitivo (7%). Amazingly few people had walked the Camino de Invierno (Ponferrada – Santiago).
Particularly the Camino Portugués has gained a significant 25% compared to last year, with 6’061 pilgrims of whom 34% had started in Oporto, 23% in Tui, 16% in Valença, 4% in Lisbon and the remainder from various places between Oporto and Valença do Minho.
The Camino Francés pilgrim numbers increased by 11% and represent 64% of all arrivals. Main increases, compared to 2015, were the pilgrims who had started from Sarria (+15%), Saint Jean Pied de Port (+17%) and León (23%). But less people started from O’Cebreiro, compared to the same period last year (-17%).
As far as nationalities were concerned, the Spanish increased by 4%, compared to 25% of foreigners. The latter, in order of importance, came from Germany, Portugal, Correa, the UK and the USA. The overall balance now is 45% Spanish and 55% foreigners. Last year it was 50/50.:cool: Ultreya!

Too late. It was working until people asked-"Then why do you talk about it all the time and why are you going back next week?"

Don't walk the Caminos de Santiago, stay home sitting in your sofa drinking a good bier out of your refrigerator, watch a good football match, or a basketball or anything you like!
Why should you suffer the long walk under the hot sun??, or the very could winds ,frozen paths , noise albergues, snoring fellows at night , for this reasons and so many others STAY HOME!
I woul go us soo us I can , the Caminos are no for you ( you deserve a better life , only the craziest people are willing to go).
Buen Camino!

And the wild dogs! The boring churches and crumbly old ruins! The strange foreign Spanish food! The endless sky on the meseta! The Pyrenean vultures!

Dont forgit the "pulpit draggers!" aka the gurus and camnino angels! Worse than cyclists, broncadores and bedbugs from whom u can at least escape! Ah, the good ole days when a refugio was a bit of sackcloth between three used as a lean to agin a rock wall. And the menu del peregrino was accursed veggie heaven aka a bowl of gruel.
:) :) :)
The malingerer!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
I wanted to change my user-name to eversosmugwrinklycaminogit but Ivar wouldn't let me, and anyway The Beloved said that there is no need 'cos everyone else calls me that anyway... So, what was I going to say? Oh, yes, Camino Frances. Old hat. No-one does it anymore its too busy. Everyone used to flock there for the peace and solitude but actually the M25 is better 'cos the cafes come at more regular intervals and the foods better in Mexico City even though you can't taste it because of the smog. There are too many Camino books already so the best thing to do is walk to the Library and write a book about that... Any way, as I was saying, when I walked it you were only allowed one leg and you had to hop the last 100 leagues carrying a gargoyle for the Cathedral but of course that was before building Cathedrals got popular and you could still find the odd gargoyle if you knew where to look. But I don't mind helping out the youngsters if they want helping out as long as they appreciate that... What was the question? Oh yes, toilet paper. No need to bring it; there's loads behind every bush,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

Last edited:
... Oh, yes, Camino Frances. Old hat. No-one does it anymore its too busy....

Exactly! Everybody does it, every man and his dog does it - it is sooo not fashionably anymore. Let's look for new ways. In Spain, in Europe, in our own countries. Ways less traveled that nobody has traveled before! Lets go new roads, our own roads, lets create roads and leave that tired old camino rest for a while.

Buen Camino, SY

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I wanted to change my user-name to eversosmugwrinklycaminogit but Ivar wouldn't let me, and anyway The Beloved said that there is no need 'cos everyone else calls me that anyway... So, what was I going to say? Oh, yes, Camino Frances. Old hat. No-one does it anymore its too busy. Everyone used to flock there for the peace and solitude but actually the M25 is better 'cos the cafes come at more regular intervals and the foods better in Mexico City even though you can't taste it because of the smog. There are too many Camino books already so the best thing to do is walk to the Library and write a book about that... Any way, as I was saying, when I walked it you were only allowed one leg and you had to hop the last 100 leagues carrying a gargoyle for the Cathedral but of course that was before building Cathedrals got popular and you could still find the odd gargoyle if you knew where to look. But I don't mind helping out the youngsters if they want helping out as long as they appreciate that... What was the question? Oh yes, toilet paper. No need to bring it; there's loads behind every bush,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

CaminoGit will quite suffice if you are willing....!! Brilliant calling name !!

And what's all this talk about reconquista? Whole place is a warzone as you can see from my photos from Hospital de Orbigo.

Attachments

• 62.jpg
    62.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 59
  • 64.jpg
    64.jpg
    154 KB · Views: 55
  • 71.jpg
    71.jpg
    131.1 KB · Views: 56
  • 72.jpg
    72.jpg
    106.7 KB · Views: 55
  • 73.jpg
    73.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 55
  • 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 54
And what's all this talk about reconquista? Whole place is a warzone as you can see from my photos from Hospital de Orbigo.
Wow, looks amazing.

Jennie you have read my mind.
Ps..I'm just back from Herbertstown. Took in the Ballyhoura mountains and Lough Gur! :)

I hated the Camino last year and I am most definitely not setting off again next Friday ;)
but remember dont tell anyone,,

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA! ! !!! Stop, I'm trying to poop behind a bush.Ha ha ha snort, snort!!

Ideal pocket guides for during & after your Camino. Each weighs only 1.4 oz (40g)!
Dominique
I walked last year June 11 for 36 days. I didn't book ahead except Orisson and Santiago first day and switched up second day with no problem. I had one rude place and it was the monastery in Sahagun. Never once was I disappointed as I felt I was where I was meant to be!!!!

And, if you don't like walking in cow manure after it has rained then I advise you to stay at home. I am being forced to walk the Del Norte in June and they won't let me get out of it! Lord, what am I going to do? do I have more penance to do?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I wondered why so many more people walked the Caminos this year compared to last year.:eek: Not withstanding so many grumblings.:(
Look at the figures: Pilgrim arrivals in Santiago between 01.01.2016 and 30.04.2016 were 29’203, up 14% (3’640) compared to the same period in 2015 (25’563). The largest increases, compared to last year’s numbers, were on the Portugués, the Via de la Plata (25%), the Inglés (29%) and the Primitivo (7%). Amazingly few people had walked the Camino de Invierno (Ponferrada – Santiago).
Particularly the Camino Portugués has gained a significant 25% compared to last year, with 6’061 pilgrims of whom 34% had started in Oporto, 23% in Tui, 16% in Valença, 4% in Lisbon and the remainder from various places between Oporto and Valença do Minho.
The Camino Francés pilgrim numbers increased by 11% and represent 64% of all arrivals. Main increases, compared to 2015, were the pilgrims who had started from Sarria (+15%), Saint Jean Pied de Port (+17%) and León (23%). But less people started from O’Cebreiro, compared to the same period last year (-17%).
As far as nationalities were concerned, the Spanish increased by 4%, compared to 25% of foreigners. The latter, in order of importance, came from Germany, Portugal, Correa, the UK and the USA. The overall balance now is 45% Spanish and 55% foreigners. Last year it was 50/50.:cool: Ultreya!
Aha! A Costa Rican statistician!

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thank Goodness for all the snakes ... they are wonderful at keeping the rodent population down . Now if there was something to control these millions of mosquitoes it would be wonderful

Last edited:

Just got home this week.
Repacked my bag and I'm ready just in case I get another month of vacation time saved up !
Feet are ready and I'm ready to experience all the places and people again.

I have walked it twice and it always exceeded my expectations

I'm sorry. I can't really understand if a lot of people are joking or what.
I'm about to start my very first Camino next week. First I arrive to Paris for a couple of nights then I will take a trip to Saint Jean pied and begin my Camino from there. All by myself by the way...

I know it's going to me literally a Pain in many ways, but here are a lot of complaints about it. Never a less a lot did the Camino more than once.

I'm not expecting the great thing. Or adventure. Just I want to have the experience. If I meet some people good. If I have bad or worse days so be it.
But... It's like this, left the comfort zone behind for a month or so, and taste a very different aspect of traveling. Not all the people can have this or take the risk.
I'm very happy to be one of you who take the initiative and start walking. After all, with one step at the time all the greatest things happened on the history of travels.
So... Have a great weekend and
Burn Camino!

2016 has been declared a holy year by the Pope. From everything I've read, the number of pilgrims on the Camino often swells to more than double the usual population, as many Catholics choose to make their pilgrimages during holy years.

Next year (the year I plan to go), the number of pilgrims should diminish to more "usual" levels.

I consider myself fairly warned about the snakes, wild dogs, bugs, nasty hospitaleros, awful cider and wine and food, ugly landscapes, and other terrible things lurking on the Camino. Can't wait! :p

Don't worry about it. I'm 2 days away from Santiago and I can't believe this is ending. I'm had such an amazing time. I can't mention one bad experience - well, there was one unfriendly woman in a cafe yesterday. But I probably only have 2 such experiences and it's all forgotten amidst the great hospitality and experience I have had. I've not needed to book any accommodation and haven't even got crushed into any pilgrim convoy. Yet to see a pilgrim convoy. . Feeling very lucky and blessed.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I'm sorry. I can't really understand if a lot of people are joking or what.
I'm about to start my very first Camino next week. First I arrive to Paris for a couple of nights then I will take a trip to Saint Jean pied and begin my Camino from there. All by myself by the way...

I know it's going to me literally a Pain in many ways, but here are a lot of complaints about it. Never a less a lot did the Camino more than once.

I'm not expecting the great thing. Or adventure. Just I want to have the experience. If I meet some people good. If I have bad or worse days so be it.
But... It's like this, left the comfort zone behind for a month or so, and taste a very different aspect of traveling. Not all the people can have this or take the risk.
I'm very happy to be one of you who take the initiative and start walking. After all, with one step at the time all the greatest things happened on the history of travels.
So... Have a great weekend and
Burn Camino!
It's all very much tongue in cheek. (Didn't you read the first post?) :D
Don't worry, you'll have a wonderful time. :)

Well said

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

I would suggest you just get off it. I have. There are a lot of other options.....via de la plata is great, Portuguese too. I am currently on mozarabe from Almeria......give it a go.

20160506_162216_Abandoibarra Etorbidea.jpg And don't forget the Spanish dogs like this escapee at Bilbao yesterday! Starting our camino 6th June.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
Ivar sends out an email each week on the most popular threads for the week. Been a while since I logged on. The top thread was "dreadful walk, awful people". The first words that leapt to mind was oh sh..t and other more choice words followed. I have yet to do my camino - doing it in the fall and all I could think was this person really is having a horrible time. What the hell am I doing? IS it too late to cancel my flight get my money back, change my trip to lie on a beach somewhere drinking rum drinks... I read the post and the others that followed and my fear was replaced by laughter, my unease with courage and determination. Reading posts from folks about being called, not once, twice , thrice and in some cases more to subject themselves to repeated pain, inconsiderate people etc. had me laughing again. Because I am being called too. It is quite possible we may all be called ...called stupid by some. But I am looking forward to joining the club. I hope... (ok so I have a little trepidation left as doing this on my own) :)

So you’re thinking of walking the Camino? Think again. Dirt everywhere, unrepentant loud snorers, churches without seat cushions, scratches from weeds while squatting in the bushes, too many kinds of olives, no toilet paper (sometimes), etc.

What an awful experience…I’ll be adding to this list after I get back from my fourth Camino this summer…;)

So you’re thinking of walking the Camino? Think again. Dirt everywhere, unrepentant loud snorers, churches without seat cushions, scratches from weeds while squatting in the bushes, too many kinds of olives, no toilet paper (sometimes), etc.

What an awful experience…I’ll be adding to this list after I get back from my fourth Camino this summer…;)

@creativegtu:
If you can tell me where you found a place on the camino where there is no toilet paper, I shall go there to take a photo as a souvenir on my next time through, that is, if it is still in that pristine condition.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
AView attachment 25743How can we forget about the poor quiet and scantily clad cyclists? Especially when they arrive in hordes!

I know you don't like cyclists, but is this any way to treat a fellow peregrino? (Me, lonesome, at Oseira; bunks full of WALKERS, with dirty boots. Note the damp floor. Such misery. !)IMG_6469.JPG

Most read last week in this forum

https://www.lodgify.com/blog/es/observatorio-lodgify-febrero-2024/?utm_campaign=ES%20-%20Content%20Newsletter&utm_medium=email&_hsmi=298376570&_hsenc=p2ANqtz--KQkkCIbmVh11e1l-9P2514JyKrTN8_nNki9ioi...
Have you had Communion while attending the Cruz de Ferro?
Hi there Can anyone tell me where on the Camino Frances there is a mural on a wall depicting “the three wise men”. I’ve admired it on several occasions, over the years, but I can’t remember where...
I wonder how many,if any get caught up in the idea...or ideal of the Camino To be sure it captured my imagination and reinforced by videos and pictures. I am quick to seek and find the good in...
What does the abbreviation "Rda" mean in Spanish? In context: "Calle la Rda, Villalcázar de Sirga". I have googled (of course), but I've obviously not been asking the right questions, as I've...
Hoping someone will have some new ideas for me! I always bring a box to Spain to mail to my friends in Madrid. It has for years had the following items — boxes of Vanilla Chai tea bags, Dentyne...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back