• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dress in religious places??

j-oneill

When we went to Rome last year, there was a VERY STRICT policy that pilgrims must have shoulders and knees covered to enter into churches. Is this an issue along the Camino? My thoughts are to carry as little as possible. I'm just wondering if shorts and tank tops are acceptable everywhere. What about at masses? Do most people pack a change of clothing to wear to mass?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
People are used to pilgrims - hiking clothes including shorts are no problem. (But it can be cold in churches, so you may want to cover up for at reason.)

I always went in my pilgrim attire because, well that's all I had lol.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Personally I would never feel comfortable entering a church in shorts and a tank top.for me it's a question of respect, both to the fact that I am entering a holy place where the Sacrament is present and also for respect for the local worshipers. I do not take special clothes for Mass, I just wear my better pair of walking pants and the better t-shirt. Anne

I am fairly sure no one walks the camino with only tank tops and shorts as attire

or else they are going to be really cold nights and mornings...

it is not really hard, just put on whatever is in your pack....

People are indeed accustomed to seeing pilgrims in the churches and sanctuaries along the Camino, but accustomed doesn't mean that everyone is is happy with the way some pilgrims dress, particularly in the smaller villages. Locals here and along the Camino do sometimes comment on the lack of respect shown by pilgrims who enter churches dressed as if they were going to the beach.

My opinion is that it's never a bad idea to be respectful and "err on the side of caution" as it were.

That doesn't mean that you have to pack clothes especially for going into churches, or add a lot of weight to your backpack, but I would encourage you to avoid wearing tank tops, tube tops and really short pants when visiting churches, sanctuaries or monasteries, and especially if you plan to attend masses in the evening. Lightweight hiking t-shirts that cover the shoulders and are made of high tech fabric that "breathes" and "Capri" pants that come to just below the knee are what I use. They're plenty cool and comfortable while walking, light in the pack, easy to handwash and give no cause for offense when entering a church or monastery.

For women, another very simple solution is a lightweight, cotton wrap-around skirt and a shoulder wrap. These can be whipped out of your pack in a flash and thrown around your shoulder and waist. Plus, as Peronel pointed out above, even in summer the churches can be quite chilly, so these have the added advantage of helping ward off the chill.

But really, for attending masses, if you just pack lightweight hiking t-shirts that cover the shoulders and "Capri" pants that come to just below the knee, there won't be any problem at all.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
Folks reading this thread shouldn't think there is a prescriptive dress code for visiting churches in Spain or attending mass - it simply is not the case. Rather I've found local people in churches open and welcoming and frankly they should be thankful to have visitors! I've no doubt there are rare occasions when a bare shoulder or knee cap might raise an eyebrow - but really in the order of things which are important these don't rank in my book.

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
I have never had problems in Spain or France, but in Italy it can be different. In Siena I was given a gauze wrap to hide my sinful legs. Like something out of Monty Python.

When I visited the cathedral in Granada there was a couple of British tourists there. One woman (middle aged, overweight) was wearing a very small miniskirt with frills. Like something five year old girls wear when they are going to a party. Nobody said anything but there was a lot of raised eyebrows around her. And it was freezing cold.
I wouldn't enter a church in a tank top and shorts. Not on the camino, or anywhere else, and I wouldn't wear that when visiting a capital city either.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I confess i found it strange to see pilgrims entering churches in short shorts ,vests and spaghetti tops along the trail.In my effort to be understanding of others i pondered this as i walked until one day just outside Astorga it happened to me.Very hot day..walking in combat shorts and vest...i saw a tiny church with a lady stamping credentials....after she stamped mine she invited me in to look at a fresco, as i crossed myself on leaving...my attention was drawn to how i was dressed. I felt guilty...but was glad to have seen the church.In large towns and especially Santiago i saw so many people "dressed for the beach" in the cathedral,though i noted that many pilgrims had made the effort.

I think God welcome all his children to his houses, sometimes the invitation is more of an afternoon BBQ...sometimes it is a more formal dinner party....just apply the same rules as you would at home.

One woman (middle aged, overweight) was wearing a very small miniskirt with frills. Like something five year old girls wear when they are going to a party.

Not quite sure here what difference it makes that in your opinion she was
(middle aged, overweight)
. I feel this judgemental attitude overwhelms what is a fairly valid point generally in this thread about people surely not having nothing to wear but tanktops.

(I speak as someone who was singled out in Mass once for having an armless, though otherwise VERY modest dress on, at the age of 11. Hmf!)

When in Rome, surely applies also in Spain. I don't attend Mass these days but would wear something between my pleasingly plump knees and my wrinkly old neck that covered most skin, simply because I have no wish to offend my hosts.

The part about her age and weight could surely be left out of the argument, and the style of skirt .. really? Would it have been OK if she were thin, young and wearing a sleek leather miniskirt with Yves St Laurent on the label?

Bear in mind that this was written by a stout more-than-middle-aged-woman ... maybe you could feel compassion for her ignorance rather than dismay at her attire being perhaps too young for your opinon of her?

I forgot to take my hat off when I entered the cathedral in Santiago after one of my Caminos. I was subtly reminded by one of the staff who tapped his head as he passed me. It had just become part of me and I totally forgot I was wearing it! :oops:

Buen Camino!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
I would not wear a tank top myself and always take a longer pair of trousers with me. As you say some places in Italy can be very strict but I have do not remember the same set of rules being pinned up in Spain.

na2than said:
I think God welcome all his children to his houses, sometimes the invitation is more of an afternoon BBQ...sometimes it is a more formal dinner party....just apply the same rules as you would at home.

Nice.

I once asked a Spanish reporter from Ponferrada how pilgrims in hiking gear were regarded and was told that, as long as it was clear that they were pilgrims, their presence was welcomed, knees and all. I pursued the question about how it was clear that they were pilgrims and she said that the Spanish could tell--- men wearing hats was a key, and people walking around talking with each other was another factor. Pilgrims, she told me, seemed to be tired and happy wherever they were.

Even so, I would only wear hiking shorts in a church during the day; attending a Mass in the evening, i would always wear my Tilley hiking trousers.

I have noticed, over the years, that the Spanish are dressing much more informally in attending church. In 2002, many if not most of the men were in ties and jackets--- now it is quite rare.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I am taking a sheer, lightweight scarf to put over my head when I go into churches. Even though I may only have my shorts and a sports top with sleeves on, I think the scarf will give an appropriate sign of respect and humility. It is almost weightless and adds nothing to the weight of my pack, but hopefully will add plenty to a villager's view of my reverent behavior when in a place of worship.

I think that actually a difference should be made between popping into a church during your day's walk when you are obviously dressed for walking and, attending Mass which, basically, is not held during your walking hours. Anne

I'm with annakappa on this! Although I'm a very lapsed catholic by now I will always dress modestly when visiting church or attending Mass, so def. no shorts and sleeveless tops / too much cleavage! I don't make a difference between the two, short visit or full Mass.
IMHO I would not wear a scarf on my head while at same time wear a short....
If wearing a skirt : under the knees certainly.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Thanks for all the responses. I actually am taking more than tank tops and shorts. I was just trying to get at whether they were as strict in Spain as they are in Rome. But I wanted to get a few opinions before finalizing my packing list. I think its a matter of respect to dress respectfully when entering any religious site, so that's my plan.

I am taking a sheer, lightweight scarf to put over my head when I go into churches. Even though I may only have my shorts and a sports top with sleeves on, I think the scarf will give an appropriate sign of respect and humility. It is almost weightless and adds nothing to the weight of my pack, but hopefully will add plenty to a villager's view of my reverent behavior when in a place of worship.

This is a lovely idea!

How common are chapel veils among Spanish women, does anyone here know?

Last edited:
I have a particular pet peeve about people who dress inappropriately in holy places. (Regardless of whether the locals say anything or just look the other way.) I am packing two 'Macabi' Skirts with me for my journey. They will be all I have for my "bottom half" attire. They were invented by a female, world traveling angler. Her adventures take her to some very conservative parts of the world. You can wear them as a skirt, pants, or make them into shorts. Look them up for yourself. You may love them! :)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
I don't evaluate my actions relative to those of others. Respect is always demanded when I enter a holy place regardless. I agree with others that it really is a question of proper planning and then using what you have. It is not something to feel guilty about unless you purposely demonstrate disrespect by both word and deed. Do you best and then don't worry about everything else. When I do enter church I don't want to see any individual male or female dressed disrespectfully, particularly when I know they could have spent two minutes to take something out of their backpack and dress more properly.

I visit so many churches when on pilgrimage. If there's a Mass being said, I join it. When folk see my back-pack, they accept me for what I am - just another Christian. In fact I have received many "Buen camino!" and "Bon Voyage!" with smiles.
Spain is very different from Italy when it comes to dress requirements. I was amazed when I lived in Spain that 'mantillas' [lacy silk head scarves] were no longer used. They just accept you as God's children. Relax. Enjoy the service.

How common are chapel veils among Spanish women
In hundreds of visits to churches and chapels I have seen veils only once in the cathedral in Santiago when an entire group was attired in "traditional" Spanish garb. The thousands of older ladies who seem to attend every mass never had veils.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
Veils? It's not the 50's in Spain. It's a modern country that has seen religion lose its grip on society. Unlike the USA where more than 40% of the population attends church, Spain only has 23% and more than 50% say they never attend at all. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_attendance)

Last edited:
Indeed, Spain might be a rural country but sure it isn't "god forsaken place" regarding mentality! One of the few European countries that legally allows gay marriages.
With all those churches???
Well - yes...

Ultreia!

I am bringing fairly short shorts & tanks for the walking portion of the trip, but will have an outfit which is church appropriate for the masses. I will also pack a sarong that can be tied around my waist like a skirt & a light cardigan which I can put over my tank so I can enter churches along the route. Will short shorts be offensive to the townspeople if I am not entering a church?

I am walking in June/July so want to wear as little clothing as I can get away with in order to be comfortable.

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
I would say not Jess. What you have for visiting churches should be fine also.
Buen Camino.

Ok, so short shorts & tanks for walking + a cardigan & sarong for churches? Just want to clarify as the last thing I would want to do is offend anyone! No requirement for a 'church' outfit, per se?
:)

Ok, so short shorts & tanks for walking + a cardigan & sarong for churches? Just want to clarify as the last thing I would want to do is offend anyone! No requirement for a 'church' outfit, per se?
:)
I am no expert in ladies fashion as my wife will tell you but if you are dressed respectfully in churches you should be fine and I have seen many females walking in shorts and tanks and they did not offend me :) or should they offend anyone else for that matter. Spain is a modern country and fashions have moved on there with the rest of Europe.

Thank you Wayfarer, I very much appreciate your advice. I've been to Spain (& many other European countries) so am confident in dressing for cities & churches, but never before on a Pilgrimage. And can't wait (T minus 2 weeks until I head to SJPP!).

Most read last week in this forum

This is my first posting but as I look at the Camino, I worry about 'lack of solitude' given the number of people on the trail. I am looking to do the France route....as I want to have the...
The Burguete bomberos had another busy day yesterday. Picking up two pilgrims with symptoms of hypothermia and exhaustion near the Lepoeder pass and another near the Croix de Thibault who was...
Between Villafranca Montes de Oca and San Juan de Ortega there was a great resting place with benches, totem poles andvarious wooden art. A place of good vibes. It is now completely demolished...
Left Saint Jean this morning at 7am. Got to Roncesvalles just before 1:30. Weather was clear and beautiful! I didn't pre book, and was able to get a bed. I did hear they were all full by 4pm...
Hi there - we are two 'older' women from Australia who will be walking the Camino in September and October 2025 - we are tempted by the companies that pre book accomodation and bag transfers but...
We have been travelling from Australia via Dubai and have been caught in the kaos in Dubai airport for over 3 days. Sleeping on the floor of the airport and finally Emerites put us up in...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.