• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

dresscode evenings in alberque

Marc Everaert

Time of past OR future Camino
EXPECT NORMALLY TO START +/- 20 MAY 2017
Hello,
Little question.

is it unusal to wear shorts in the alberque in the evenings after walk and for dinner?
i leave in may.
thank for advice.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
It certainly wouldn't be unusual to wear shorts in albergues, and there were some people who would wear shorts to dinner whether is was in the albergue or somewhere else. It really is your choice - I don't recall anywhere that had what might be called a dress code on any of my Camino walks.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Damn! Am I going to need to get us some lycra?

Marvellous (mis?)quote from somewhere I don't recall from a man of a certain age. "I always wanted a body that would make young women faint. I just didn't think it would be this one"

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Dress Code tends to be ... no one cares .... Peregrino you leave all sense of looking good by the time you get to Roncesvalles especially if you go over the Napolean ... just try to not get stuck to someone else's Compeed in the shower.. and yes the Lycra is in abundance. Puts you off your Pulpo, hence why we turn to Orujo by the time we get to Leon :) Buen Camino ...

Dress Code tends to be ... no one cares .... Peregrino you leave all sense of looking good by the time you get to Roncesvalles especially if you go over the Napolean ... just try to not get stuck to someone else's Compeed in the shower.. and yes the Lycra is in abundance. Puts you off your Pulpo, hence why we turn to Orujo by the time we get to Leon :) Buen Camino ...
Got a lovely memory of arriving just the other side of Sarria in a large Albergue and most of our Camino family were having afternoon drinks in the sun. We must have looked like a bunch of sunburned, dusty, footsore, tramps with agaffa tape around the feet. When suddenly in came two "Camino Barbie's" dressed to the nines with massive roller suit cases and Louis Vuitton backpacks that had just been dropped off by Jaco Trans fresh off the flight and smelling wonderful .... Before we could stop them the two wonderful but very vocal Australian nurses in our family blurted ... "Glekkers !! .. So being too smart is not always good ... have a great trip

The requirements for evening dress are formal. Men must have a tuxedo and bow tie. Cummerbund is de riguer. Men must be clean shaven. Cologne is optional. Women must have a formal gown, shoes, and a tiara. Hair must be styled. Footwear must be patent leather. Women must wear hose, men must wear black silk socks. All clothing must be freshly cleaned and unwrinkled. As always, when you sit for dinner use your forks from the outside in. And your napkin should be in your lap.

Last edited:
3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The only dress code in the albuerges is No Dress Code! Comfortable and casual.

Here's the cyclist you've been dreading:

old guys.JPG

Be glad some set the bar low and make others look good by comparison

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
So being too smart is not always good

My sister is still giving me crap over wearing socks with sandals. She didn't walk the Camino, so she doesn't "get" it, but I assured her that socks and sandals are the height of Camino chic, especially at dinner. Yeah, you don't want to look too smart - you lose your street cred.

My sister is still giving me crap over wearing socks with sandals. She didn't walk the Camino, so she doesn't "get" it, but I assured her that socks and sandals are the height of Camino chic, especially at dinner. Yeah, you don't want to look too smart - you lose your street cred.
Sandals and socks allowed only if socks have toes. ;)

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

Most read last week in this forum

...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
Just reading this thread https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/news-from-the-camino.86228/ and the OP mentions people being fined €12000. I knew that you cannot do the Napoleon in...
La Voz de Galicia has reported the death of a 65 year old pilgrim from the United States this afternoon near Castromaior. The likely cause appears to be a heart attack. The pilgrim was walking the...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...
My first SPRINGTIME days on the Camino Francés 🎉 A couple of interesting tidbits. I just left Foncebadón yesterday. See photo. By the way, it's really not busy at all on my "wave". Plenty of...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.