• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dressing for churches

Tove Sørum

Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Primitivo, July 2019
Camino Portugues Central, Porto - Santiago June 2018
I am walking from Porto to Santiago this summer, and I would like to know the "dress code" for entering churches along the way. I usually cover up as best as I can when I visit a church, but as I doubt I will bring any pants or long skirts in my back pack, I wonder if that could be a problem. I have entered churches i Portugal in a summer dress before, but these practises differ from place to place.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
This image -- https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-v...ign-the-dress-code-at-st-peters-61927265.html -- shows what's considered appropriate, or not, at St Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. I'd say it's a pretty good guide for Iberia as well. As a Catholic, all I can say, though, is: good luck finding an open church unless a scheduled service is actually taking place.

A quick note: if you're walking from Porto to SdC, you're actually travelling along the coastal route or, if you're going inland via Rates, Bercelos, etc., the Portugues Central. The Interior route is a different animal entirely, running between Viseu in Portugal and SdC, via Ourense. Hardly anyone does that one.

I am walking from Porto to Santiago this summer, and I would like to know the "dress code" for entering churches along the way. I usually cover up as best as I can when I visit a church, but as I doubt I will bring any pants or long skirts in my back pack, I wonder if that could be a problem. I have entered churches i Portugal in a summer dress before, but these practises differ from place to place.
You can enter the churches with your regular clothes. Generally speaking there are no strick rules regarding clothing (you can show your knees, for example)

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
In Rome, you have to have shoulders and knees covered. In Spain and France, I didn't see any rules, but then, people were covered at mass. I walked in cooler weather (Spring and Fall). I brought a silk/fine wool light weight shawl/wide scarf that I could use to keep warm or cover my shoulders (on the off chance it got hot). Usually when traveling I bring a serape to use as a long skirt or shawl or towel. (I have also used a long skirt as a towel. ;) )

This image -- https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo-v...ign-the-dress-code-at-st-peters-61927265.html -- shows what's considered appropriate, or not, at St Peter's Basilica in the Vatican. I'd say it's a pretty good guide for Iberia as well. As a Catholic, all I can say, though, is: good luck finding an open church unless a scheduled service is actually taking place.

A quick note: if you're walking from Porto to SdC, you're actually travelling along the coastal route or, if you're going inland via Rates, Bercelos, etc., the Portugues Central. The Interior route is a different animal entirely, running between Viseu in Portugal and SdC, via Ourense. Hardly anyone does that one.
Thank you for your advice. I am familiar with the general "rules", as I have lived in Italy for many years, and I have visited cathedrals and churches in many parts of Spain and Portugal before, but somewhere they are letting you in dressed in shorts or a skirt, while other places your legs need to be covered. I found that the guards at St. Peter's, sometimes can tolerate miniskirts on women, but not shorts on a man...... for some strange reason.... I am taking the inland route by the way.

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
You might consider a sarong to tie around over your shorts, especially since many churches may be open only when mass is being celebrated. And a light sarong has multple uses on the Camino (shoulder wrap, towel, privacy curtain for you bunk.....), and weighs little.
Thank you. Yes, that is whaat i would usually do, so I guess I got room for a light sarong in my back pack, just to be on the safe side.

Thank you for your advice. I am familiar with the general "rules", as I have lived in Italy for many years, and I have visited cathedrals and churches in many parts of Spain and Portugal before, but somewhere they are letting you in dressed in shorts or a skirt, while other places your legs need to be covered. I found that the guards at St. Peter's, sometimes can tolerate miniskirts on women, but not shorts on a man...... for some strange reason.... I am taking the inland route by the way.

Please , don’t worry about what you wear .... I’ve just finished the route you will be doing ...I’m a man , wear shorts all the time and have never been refused entry in any church...,even at St Peters in Rome , I was allowed entry for my VF testimonium into the Vatican offices/ sacristy ... again in my shorts !!

The difficulty you will have is finding a church open , and/or a service to attend !

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Has never been a problem on 3 Caminos in shorts. In Bilbao this time the lady as you walked in gave the Pilgrims a scarf to cover their shorts.
Maybe there were some very short shorts! I saw a woman at the grocery store yesterday... her shorts were so tight and short it was a wonder she could walk.

You might consider a sarong to tie around over your shorts ... And a light sarong has multple uses on the Camino (shoulder wrap, towel, privacy curtain for you bunk.....), and weighs little.

I took a very lightweight sarong. It was so useful .... private ‘wild’ pees, night-time visits to loo, protection from sun (I dampened it ... very refreshing) ... and, of course, as a shawl and a towel :)

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Please , don’t worry about what you wear .... I’ve just finished the route you will be doing ...I’m a man , wear shorts all the time and have never been refused entry in any church...,even at St Peters in Rome , I was allowed entry for my VF testimonium into the Vatican offices/ sacristy ... again in my shorts !!

The difficulty you will have is finding a church open , and/or a service to attend !
Thank you so much! How did you like the route by the way? Have I something else to worry about? Sorry to bother you , but it is my first walk :) Just 3 weeks away now, so I am really exited.

Thank you so much! How did you like the route by the way? Have I something else to worry about? Sorry to bother you , but it is my first walk :) Just 3 weeks away now, so I am really exited.

No, nothing to worry yourself about , although it’s natural to feel a little anxious on your first Camino ...everyone does ( even on their second, third, fourth....)
The CP is a nice route ... there are a couple of options for you to think about ( if you haven’t already ?) If you want any more info just PM me and I’ll give you my views !
You’ll have a great time Buom Caminho !!

You will be surprised that there is no dress codes.
Shorts are acceptable.
Phones going off in mass is far worse, IMHO but it happens.
And to give something to cover parts of the body to the ladies only is also hardly acceptable in days society.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc

Most read last week in this forum

My final question since I have asked sooo many. Grabbing a light lunch that I can get on the go, hoping to grab it, and find a square or a bench to enjoy it, then get back to walking. Not really...
Hello everyone! My wife and I are doing our first Camino in Sept and I was very curious about the stretch from Tui to Pontevedra. We have been to Spain multiple times and love the small towns...
Dear all, I have done Camino Frances, Norte and Primitivo and would like to ask about Portuges. I have some soul-searching to do and would love to walk a part of it, unfortunately only a part...
We arrived in Lisbon yesterday, 48 hrs (by choice via Singapore, Milan and Madrid) after leaving home from regional South Australia. Train to Porto tomorrow hitting the pilgram path on Saturday to...
Hello, I lost my GoPro with all my pictures on the Camino between Pedra Furada and Aborim last week. Is there a lost and found in SDC? Any other ideas? Thanks and Buen Camino.

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back