• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drinkable water?

Aaron Baldwin

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances 2018
Going on a camino frances in a month, wondering about potable water. Is there generally a good source of drinking water on the trail or should i get a water filter?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Going on a camino frances in a month, wondering about potable water. Is there generally a good source of drinking water on the trail or should i get a water filter?

Hi, Aaron---

This topic does come up from new folks from time to time. :)

Think of it this way:
  1. Spain is a modern, first world country with a world class sanitary public water system.
  2. You are not backpacking in the wilderness, but walking from village to village and town to town.
  3. There are lots of public access drinking water sources all along the way.
  4. If a public drinking fountain is not located, it is easy to go into a local eating establishment and ask to get your water container refilled.
  5. If you have any immune deficiency issues which requires that you have increased water treatment at your home, then the same will apply in Spain.
The nice thing about the above, is that you do not have to carry a huge load of water, which decreases your pack weight :) There will be segments on Camino which will dictate the need to carry more water than you would usually need to carry, but normally it is fairly easy to get by with 1 to 1.5 liters. Of course, as always, YMMV. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Oh, I'm looking forward to drinking water without added fluoride once again!

Transport luggage-passengers.
From airports to SJPP
Luggage from SJPP to Roncevalles
Curious, when are you arriving? I plan to start on September 5th from St. Jean and split the day.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
[...] wondering about potable water. Is there generally a good source of drinking water on the trail [...]
The answers are already given (above). What might be a concern, particularly on hot days with lots of perspiration, are some "suero oral" (serum) confections, which you can buy at farmacias (pharmacies, drugstores) and solve in water.

Most read last week in this forum

To me the most Dangerous stage on the Camino Frances was from Foncebadon to Ponferrada in the rain. Never forget the riverbed rocks from El Acebo to Ponferrada totally treacherous, seen several...
...I am on day eight of walking the Francés at the moment. It is quite busy. A lot of talk about beds (and the need to book ahead). I don't book. Today I tried really hard not to get a bed. I...
I started from Pamplona this morning for a quick week walking before starting service as a hospitalera next week back in Pamplona. The trail up to Alto de PerdĂłn has only a few big puddles left...
I’m heading to the Frances shortly and was going to be a bit spontaneous with rooms. I booked the first week just to make sure and was surprised at how tight reservations were. As I started making...
Ultreia, y'all! I am excited to start my first camino soon and have a question about the first time I use my Pilgrim's Passport. I have one already (purchased from Ivar) but was still planning to...
Hello, I would be grateful for some advice from the ones of you who are walking/have recently walked from SJPdP :) 1 - How busy is the first part of the camino right now? I read some reports of a...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.