• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drinking problem?

Mike Savage

So many friends to meet . . . so little time
Time of past OR future Camino
Camino Francés,Inglés
Muxia/Finisterre
Português Coastal
Português Central
Sanabrés
Am I likely to find non-alcoholic beer or American style black coffee along the Camino Frances?

I know it's a probably a strange request but thanks for the help.

Mike

Join our full-service guided tour of the Basque Country and let us pamper you!
Am I likely to find non-alcoholic beer or American style black coffee along the Camino Frances?
I hope not.;)

You can request cafe Americano, and find it in some bars and restaurants. Most Spanish coffee is more like espresso in the U.S. I never saw non-alcoholic beer anywhere, but again, you may find it by asking. It would be more likely to find it in markets than in bars.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I have actually been surprised at what I think is greater popularity of non-alcoholic beer in Spain than in the US. But, as my son points out to me, maybe that's only because I am very rarely in bars in the US, but go on a daily basis when I am in Spain. But in any event, I frequently hear an order for a "sin" (pronounced seen) as part of an order in bars all over Spain.

As falcon says, Cafe Americano is about the closest thing to drip US coffee. If they don't know what you mean, just ask them to add hot water to a cafe solo and you'll be good to go.

Buen camino, Laurie

Hi Mike,

I can't vouch specifically for the Camino Frances but generally coffee in Spain is based on a shot or two of expresso style ground coffee. By American style, do you mean a cup or mug of black coffee i.e. expresso topped up with hot water? I'm not sure that is commonly ordered (although with starbucks and the like it may be more popular), but as long as you know how to ask for it I'm sure you will be able to obtain it.

I know that San Miguel have a zero % offering which you see in some bars. I can't recall if it is the norm though. It is readily available in supermarkets along with other marques.

Falcon again nails it, with one exception. Although Aurum Weissbier is available and marketed in Spain, it's limited to mercados for the most part. Aside from the nice head, the beer has a watered down, way too light taste. Avoid, unless you're really in need of a mental rush.
San Miguel produces a "0'0" alcohol beer and it's likely to be found in some restaurants in larger towns. Great name...less taste!

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Wow, thanks everyone for the prompt replies! Now that I think about it "cafe Americano" worked well for me in Italy in 2006 and that is great news about cerveza sin alcohol.

Mike

Falcon again nails it, with one exception. Although Aurum Weissbier is available and marketed in Spain, it's limited to mercados for the most part. Aside from the nice head, the beer has a watered down, way too light taste. Avoid, unless you're really in need of a mental rush.
San Miguel produces a "0'0" alcohol beer and it's likely to be found in some restaurants in larger towns. Great name...less taste!

I mostly find it is more socially acceptable when dining with friends to have a drink in front of me instead of just water.

Mike

As already stated, cerveza 'sin' is very easy to find pretty much everywhere. Many of the main beer brands have a 'sin' version of their beer, which is often 0% but can be anything up to 1% alcohol. The major thing to consider if you don't drink alcohol is whether the pilgrim menus in restaurants are still good value as you're not taking advantage of the included wine.

Last edited:
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
As already stated, cerveza 'sin' is very easy to find pretty much everywhere. Many of the main beer brands have a 'sin' version of their beer, which is often 0% but can be anything up to 1% alcohol. The major thing to consider if you don't drink alcohol is whether the pilgrim menus in restaurants are still good value if you're not taking advantage of the included wine.

Good point. I've never had a problem finding someone to help with an extra glass of free wine!

While non-alcoholic beer accounts for only 4% of the beer market in Portugal, it is a respectable 13% of the market in Spain in 2010 (with sales apparent declining)! Brands include Ambar Green, San Miguel 0.0, River Sin, Tropical Sin, Dorada Sin, Buckler Sin, and Buckler 0,0.

I clearly should be more observant of the bar offerings! I usually peruse only the Orujo, hierbas, and wine.

The 9th edition the Lightfoot Guide will let you complete the journey your way.
Good point. I've never had a problem finding someone to help with an extra glass of free wine!
Hi, Mike,
When my son was about 19 he walked the Camino Frances and didn't drink any alcohol. He found he was always most welcome at other pilgrim tables, because the servers always counted him in when deciding how much wine to plop down on the table, which of course just meant more wine for them! Buen camino, Laurie

Yes, alcohol free beer was freely available and much better quality than in England. I often enjoyed cerveza sin alcohol at lunch time as a refreshing alternative to sweet soft drinks.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Menu del dia comes with either wine or water. We always opt for the water and if there is any over we top up our own bottles.:)

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I leave SJPdP September 7, 2015 see you there!
It is SO good to talk to another forum member who actually uses his own name :)
Well, I'm delighted to see you're well into the planning stage, Mike. That's a major part of the pleasure of the camino.
Sadly, I won't be able to take you up on the drink: I'm walking the remote Ruta del Ebro in May/June.
I hope our paths may cross one day - and I'll take you up on the vino !!
Buen camino!

I look forward to it!

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While non-alcoholic beer accounts for only 4% of the beer market in Portugal, it is a respectable 13% of the market in Spain in 2010 (with sales apparent declining)! Brands include Ambar Green, San Miguel 0.0, River Sin, Tropical Sin, Dorada Sin, Buckler Sin, and Buckler 0,0.

I clearly should be more observant of the bar offerings! I usually peruse only the Orujo, hierbas, and wine.
Understandable oversight, Falcon. I imagine you were wanting to avoid occasions of "sin".

Well put freescot!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!

I know it's a probably a strange request but thanks for the help.

Mike
non-alcoholic beer can be found at every bar/cafeteria/hotel on the Camino (in Spanish: 'Sin alcohol). As for American style black coffee, just ask for an 'Americano' at any bar/cafeteria/hotel on the Camino (seriously), and you will get the closest thing to it (basically an espresso shot watered down with hot water).

Thank you so much.

Most read last week in this forum

Last year on my camino I was a bit annoyed when someone back home told me to enjoy my vacation. I bristled. Why did that word annoy me so much? I was on a pilgrimage! Anyway, I'm about to embark...
Everyone talks about the wonderful café con leche, but what if tea is more to your liking? Can you even get tea along the Camino (Frances)? I don’t drink coffee but my morning cup of tea is...
Hey all. I haven't been on the forum for quite sometime (years probably). I walked the Camino Frances in 2016 and to say it was life changing for me is an understatement. On day 3, at the café at...
I am just back from a few weeks on the Via the la Plata. Since 2015 I have been nearly every year in Spain walking caminoroutes I loved the café con leches. This year I did not like them as much...
When you stop at a bar for a beer, wine, coffee or bite to eat, and sit at a table, is it expected that you will return your dirty dishes up to the bar before you leave? I alway do, as it seems...
Let me preface this by saying please understand I am not picking on anybody, I fully understand that mistakes happen and how. Been there, done that. I have been astonished to see so many lost...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.