• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drinking Vessels

Pipmahoe

Time of past OR future Camino
Frances June 2018
Central Portuguese April 2019 8 weeks post hip replacement!
When walking on the CF in July my son and I used hydraulic bladders, which were fine but became annoying when refilling during our daily walks. During the final week we ended up buying bottled water and carrying that in our mesh side pockets which then meant we had to depend each other to get it out. I noticed someone had a convertible-water bottle adapter which was Attached to a shop bought bottle of water, so I decided that this would be ideal for us however I can only find one in the USA. Has anyone found one in the UK? Please let me know I would be very greatful. Bon Camino

Attachments

• 6EFD311A-5B75-461B-9F1F-E335938FC440.jpeg
    6EFD311A-5B75-461B-9F1F-E335938FC440.jpeg
    268.6 KB · Views: 55
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
When walking on the CF in July my son and I used hydraulic bladders, which were fine but became annoying when refilling during our daily walks. During the final week we ended up buying bottled water and carrying that in our mesh side pockets which then meant we had to depend each other to get it out. I noticed someone had a convertible-water bottle adapter which was Attached to a shop bought bottle of water, so I decided that this would be ideal for us however I can only find one in the USA. Has anyone found one in the UK? Please let me know I would be very greatful. Bon Camino
I have been looking for the same thing. Im in the US where did you see it there? Thanks Camino Dee

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
We bought ours on Amazon.
What did you search? I put in water bottle converter but only converters for toddlers came up? Thanks Camino Dee

I always find it hard to believe that a 0.5Lin my pocket and 1.5L bottle in my backpack for long days which I regularly refill is not the answer. Granted it is more plastic than the world needs but if you reuse the bottles the entire Camino, it is much better than some kind of plastic bladder than can get affected by mold and other contaminants along the Way.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Search for............ water bottle tube hiking
I added a link in previous post.
Got it! Thanks, all the info I’ve ever needed could be found on the forum.😊

I used the Smartube system with a 1.5L Nalgene and 1L Nalgene backup on the Via de la Plata and was happy with it (because of relatively few fountains).

On the Camino Frances, I used Bison Designs Bottle Bandit Carabiner Clips and 2 700ml water bottles attached to the shoulder straps on my Osprey Kestrel. To secure the bottom of the bottle, I used the trekking pole retainer strap (perfect) on one side and some shock cord with a Toggle Spring Stop on the other side. I was able to drink from the bottle by simple pulling it out of the lower connection. I was VERY happy with this system.

It would also be possible to create the equivalent of the Bottle Bandit with a small carabiner and some paracord tied around a bottle. The spring on the cheap carabiners on both of mine broke after about a month but they continued functioning without incident.

¡Buen Camino!

Attachments

• Bottle Bandit Water Bottle Holders.JPG
    Bottle Bandit Water Bottle Holders.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 56
€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
On our 2016 Camino Frances, my son used a camelback with a tube and I used a water bottle in the side pocket - two on the days it looked to be a lot further between fountains. On the one hand, my bottle(s) were much easier to refill during the day and weighed less (at least in the morning). On the other hand, I generally was asking him to get me the bottle out of the side pocket and put it back for me so I wouldn't have to take the backpack off. And I had to pause my walking with my poles to drink.

For my 2018 Camino Portugues, I found this hybrid system which seemed to offer the best of both worlds. And I have to admit, it worked for me.

I carry two 600ml bottles in the cargo pockets of my shorts.
Initially they felt a bit clunky as I walked but, as with most new systems, I soon got used to them.
Regards
Gerard

The bladders are a pain. You never know when they're running out until they do. I carried two bottles in side pockets, for my hiking partner. And she carried two for me. Very easy to reach the bottles when needed.

One thing we did not do, but wish we did, was to bring along a cup for tea or coffee at the freebie places we came across. Once, during a snowstorm, we fell into a wonderful little shelter where there was hot water and tea available, but no drinking utensils, because they had used them all up. To have a cup hanging from the pack at that time would have been worth the whole trek of having to carry it along.

3rd Edition. More content, training & pack guides avoid common mistakes, bed bugs etc
The bladders are a pain. You never know when they're running out until they do. I carried two bottles in side pockets, for my hiking partner. And she carried two for me. Very easy to reach the bottles when needed.
Since I don't have a hiking partner, a water bladder is less of a pain for me than accessing bottles in the side pockets of my pack. Also, I have walked in the summer, and the water gets pretty warm in the side pockets. What I do, is carry about a liter in the water bladder, and a partially filled plastic bottle with "emergency water".

I have to admit I do love the cool water from the bladder when I’m on a hike! But filling it is definitely a pain in the butt.

I always find it hard to believe that a 0.5Lin my pocket and 1.5L bottle in my backpack for long days which I regularly refill is not the answer. Granted it is more plastic than the world needs but if you reuse the bottles the entire Camino, it is much better than some kind of plastic bladder than can get affected by mold and other contaminants along the Way.

We too refil the bottles. But we keep them for only two or three days before replacing.... we use pants that can hold a 16oz bottle. I keep one in the pocket and have easy access when walking. Nevertheless, I pause when drinking. Those are 30 mindful, still seconds focused on drinking every 20 minutes...and perhaps a chance to breathe in the beauty. Too many accidents happen when folks take their eyes off the path.

Last edited:
The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
For my 2018 Camino Portugues, I found this hybrid system which seemed to offer the best of both worlds. And I have to admit, it worked for me.[/QUOTE]

Hello David,
What is the hybrid system that you are talking about?
When we walked the CF in June/July 2018 the water in the bladder warmed up pretty quickly, my son had the brilliant idea of leaving the bladders, half full, in the freezer over night so the water stayed fresh and cool for longer, but we still had the problem of refilling at fountains and when you are hot and bothered it’s the last thing you want to be doing...fighting with your bladder and rucksack! ☹️😂
We’re planning the Camino Portuguese in April and I thought that we coule use bottles in our side mesh pockets with the water bottle converter and tube, this way you still have the convenience of drinking from the tube and not having to ask some to pass you the bootle and you don’t have to struggle/fight with the bladder when refilling! Also, you can still freeze the water overnight to keep it cooler for longer 😀

For my 2018 Camino Portugues, I found this hybrid system which seemed to offer the best of both worlds. And I have to admit, it worked for me.
Hello David,
What is the hybrid system that you are talking about?
When we walked the CF in June/July 2018 the water in the bladder warmed up pretty quickly, my son had the brilliant idea of leaving the bladders, half full, in the freezer over night so the water stayed fresh and cool for longer, but we still had the problem of refilling at fountains and when you are hot and bothered it’s the last thing you want to be doing...fighting with your bladder and rucksack! ☹️😂
We’re planning the Camino Portuguese in April and I thought that we coule use bottles in our side mesh pockets with the water bottle converter and tube, this way you still have the convenience of drinking from the tube and not having to ask some to pass you the bootle and you don’t have to struggle/fight with the bladder when refilling! Also, you can still freeze the water overnight to keep it cooler for longer 😀
This is the one I used. The link is to the Canadian Amazon store where I bought it, but I assume other Amazon stores will have it, as might various outdoors stores. It has a bite valve at one end to go into your mouth. There are a variety of attachments for the other end to fit different size water bottle openings.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B000GM6LWS/?tag=santiagodec0b-20

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.

Most read last week in this forum

Hola. While I am familiar with air travel restrictions on knives, I want to read your answers on carrying a small folding knife (Gerber Gear US1, (2.6 inch /6.6 cm blade)) in trains and buses in...
Hello. Having done the Portugese Central from Porto a few years ago, we will be doing the Frances from Leon this April. Searching the forums for footwear suggestions, we (wife and I) decided on...
I couldn't find any posts about this topic on the forum (first time that's ever happened) so I thought I'd ask... It always seemed to me that wringing hand-washed clothes never works very well...
Hi All, I am completing the Camino Ingles in April. I have just bought hiking trainers, as I find walking boots very heavy on my little, old feet. Hpwever, I am worried about conditions, with...
Hello, I will be doing El Camino from Sarria to Santiago this May 13 for the first time. I tend to twist my ankles in uneven surfaces and to easily slip on slippery surfaces. I have some...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.