• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

drinking water on the Camino Ingles

Rneal

Time of past OR future Camino
Ingles
I wonder if the water on the Camino Ingles is potable. I have a portable filtration system and would like to know if I need to bring this along.
Many Thanks!

Join our full-service guided tour and let us convert you into a Pampered Pilgrim!
Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
My attention span is narrowing, or perhaps my typing skills are deteriorating. My full and complete answers to the OP's questions should have been - Yes, and No.

John, I don't recall ever having a water supply problem other than at the top of the hill after Bar Julia where the proprietario of the Finca just before the cross-roads insisted we emptied our water-bottles so that he could refill them from his spring. His water was rather lovely - cool, crystal clear and refreshing - even though he pulled the hose nozzle out of the trough where his herd of heifers were enthusiastically sampling the same stuff. The fruits of his plum trees were rather good too.

I never carried more than a litre and never felt the need or want. Someone will now post their account of the arid deserts of Galicia after which we can all go to bed.

Buen (well-hydrated) Camino amigo.

Someone will now post their account of the arid deserts of Galicia after which we can all go to bed.

An account of the arid deserts of Galicia would be hilarious (if desert is taking literally, i.e.). An account of the arid desserts of Galicia might happen but it's very unlikely.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
Not all fonts and taps are potable, but there are enough sources of potable water - bars, fonts, etc - that I didn't find it a problem refilling my bladder when necessary.

Rneal....

You will have no problem with drinking water on the Ingles. Plenty, plenty of places to refill bladder/bottles.
Cafes, bars, hotels, fountains, you name it.

The leg from Bruma to Sigueiro is long. And not as many bars/cafes along this stretch. But still will find somewhere to refill.

I use a 3L bladder. Normally only fill with 1 or 1.5 L. On this leg I filled it full with 3L of water and used ever bit of it. But, still saw place to get some water.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
I have not done the Ingles yet, but....
In Galicia there are plenty of fountains/sources everywhere, but it is true that some of them could be contaminated by cow manure. So just in case it is better not drinking water from fountains not marked as "potable". In case the fountain is not marked I personally drink after asking a local about the fountain.

Completed my Camino Ingles I counted several attractive fountains, but I didn´t drink from most of them just in case.
Nevertheless, there is a fountain 100 metres after Casa Julia where I was informed by Julia's son that the water of that fountain is not only good but the fountain is a "fonte do santo" a saint's fountain/holy fountain.
There is a tradition of holy fountains in Galicia, so I drunk from that fountain and I did very well on the following ascent.
So I recommend pilgrims to drink there before the ascent because I'm sure it will help (at least in hydration ;))

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
The fountain below Casa Julia before the turning up to the church was marked as non-potable - has it changed, or is there another? Personally we use bottled water as, unlike the locals who regularly drink the fountains, we are not used to the local 'bugs', even if not of the harmful variety.

The fountain below Casa Julia before the turning up to the church was marked as non-potable - has it changed, or is there another? Personally we use bottled water as, unlike the locals who regularly drink the fountains, we are not used to the local 'bugs', even if not of the harmful variety.

The fountain that I mentioned is about 100 m after Casa Julia. The Camino turns right and the fountain is on the left below I remember a wall and two pipes. I don´t remember the church but it could be behind the wall.
I didn´t see any warning of "No Potable" and Julia's son told me that he and his family drink regularly from it and that the water was brought from a source far away. I drunk myself and had no problem before.
The thing is because I have lived the tradition of fontes santas in Galicia when I drink from one of those fountains I feel good.
I would like that the Xunta promotes the Fontes Santas on the different Caminos, but I know it is just a personal idea.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
Same fountain, it had a very obvious warning sign a few years ago. Good to know it is now OK as, if Casa Julia is not open, there is a real need for a source of water on this section. Thanks @Pelegrin and @JohnnieWalker .

Most read last week in this forum

I will be walking my first ever camino this September and have chosen the Camino Ingles. The Inca Trail is the only other multi-day hike I have ever done and is roughly the same length in terms of...

âť“How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back