• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drinking water

7wood

Time of past OR future Camino
2013 SJPP to Pamplona. 2014 Pamplona to Burgos. 2015 Burgos to Sarria. 2016 Sarria to Santiago de Compostla,Finisterre,Muxia. 2016. 2017 Porto to ???
Is it safe to drink water from taps between SJPP and Pamplona?

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
The fountains that are not potable are clearly marked. If you have reservations you can always go to the nearest bar and ask for water!

Short answer is "Yes". You can also buy bottled water if you are concerned about water quality on a particular stretch.
I never had to do that last time, as there were ample opportunities to obtain good ( free) water, but it is readily available.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Water, when available from public fountains is usually potable and often delicious. Follow local advice. Agua No Potable is the sign to be wary of. If the locals are drinking then it then it is probably potable but may have a mineral balance that may challenge your (non-native) digestive system.

I only saw one font labelled 'no-purificado', which is not the same as non-potable, between SJPP and Pamplona. I don't recall seeing any font labelled 'non-potable', but I wasn't making a point of checking this. I always carry a pack of water purification tablets when I am travelling, but don't recall having to use them at all in Spain. I suppose if I had been desperate and had to collect water from a stream or pond, I would have done so. It just wasn't necessary. I didn't buy bottled water and had no gastrointestinal issues because I was using taps and fonts.

The short answer is yes. Just checked to see if the water from any fountain is considered non potable, otherwise walk into any cafe or bar and use the tap water. Save the planet and avoid buying bottled water.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Thank you for your advice.

Save the planet and avoid buying bottled water.

An interesting comment. Plastic is a byproduct of oil production. We don't mine oil for plastic; we mine it for gasoline. If we didn't use plastic for nearly everything including water bottles the goop would be sludge filling landfills everywhere.

That being said, plastic water bottles can be recycled and shouldn't get chucked into the landscape as is too often the case.

Empty water bottles are to be seen everywhere along the camino. Usually they are stacked around a garbage bin that hasn't been emptied in a while. I'd suggest that leaving it beside a full garbage bin isn't doing due diligence.

If you use bottled water please take care to dispose of the plastic properly. Then you really are 'saving the planet'.

It takes a fair bit of energy to get from ethylenes etc to "plastic". I certainly would not call plastics a by-product of refining crude oil by any stretch of the imagination.

Buen Camino

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
Drink wine, the bottles are easily recycled into new glass products, i.e. new wine bottles and there are recycling bins everywhere in France and Spain where they can be deposited.

The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
HI all, I will be starting my walk on March 31, taking the Valcarlos Route, and am having trouble getting in touch with the albergue in Valcarlos (tried email and what's app - no luck!). Does...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.