• Get your Camino Frances Guidebook here.
  • For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drones Coverage

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
You really do think that?
Yes.
I'm another old crank who hates the things. They're noisy and intrusive, and I wish those who want to play with them would do that someplace else, please - even if the footage they get is pretty.
There's a useful place for such things, but on the Camino as glorified toys...? No, thanks.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes.
I'm another old crank who hates the things. They're noisy and intrusive, and I wish those who want to play with them would do that someplace else, please - even if the footage they get is pretty.
There's a useful place for such things, but on the Camino as glorified toys...? No, thanks.
Sorry, VNwalking. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I had no right to sound so incredulous.

No drones. I don't want to watch mechanical air junk flying around. They are antithetical to nature, and to a serene walk.

As a park worker, I can't tell you how annoying these items can be when they began flying two meters from your face. On Camino Frances? or any Camino there? No, please.

I'm also a crank :)

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
I don't know enough about drones to have an opinion on the ramifications. I certainly loved the videos that I've watched so far. I would love to hear from someone who was in the area at the same time that he was filming, and/or to ask him if he received any complaints.

Sorry, VNwalking. You are absolutely entitled to your opinion. I had no right to sound so incredulous.
Thank you kirkie.
And please forgive my crankiness. As you are to yours.:) We don't have to agree but mutual respect is essential. (Deb was more skillful and specific than I...)

A beautiful way to re-live the Camino experience! He had to carry a lot of heavy gear to record all this. I don't know a lot about drones, except that you hear a lot of buzzing noise when you are on the ground underneath one, but he has somehow eliminated this in the finished product and only records the noises of the Camino. His commentaries are very well done: a model for others.

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
I quickly googled the word inimical and found : harmful, injurious, detrimental, deleterious, pernicious, damaging, hurtful, dangerous, destructive, ruinous, calamitous

You really do think that?

Yes, I do. I might have used the adjective invasive, but I think inimical covers a multitude of sins from distraction to destruction. It seems to me that the use of drones threatens to turn a personal experience and opportunity for sober reflection and/or meditation into a public spectacle, and public spectacles belong to the entertainment industry. There are also issues of privacy that need to be addressed. I can remonstrate with those who wish to co-opt me into a walk-on part in their home video, as happened to me earlier this summer on the approach to Santiago, but I have limited defence against a drone. Perhaps it's consequent on my age and way of life - I'm not a member of the Twitterati! - that I still value the Camino as a refuge from the further reaches of mindless consumerism and image-making. Like many other Caministas, I prefer to focus on the present moment without needing to record that moment for publication. If my objections do not impress you, you might nonetheless concede that there is a safety concern. Should you ever be unfortunate enough to need to be airlifted from the Camino, you would not want a drone anywhere in the vicinity. Thank you, anyway, for your query.

Yes, I do. I might have used the adjective invasive, but I think inimical covers a multitude of sins from distraction to destruction. It seems to me that the use of drones threatens to turn a personal experience and opportunity for sober reflection and/or meditation into a public spectacle, and public spectacles belong to the entertainment industry. There are also issues of privacy that need to be addressed. I can remonstrate with those who wish to co-opt me into a walk-on part in their home video, as happened to me earlier this summer on the approach to Santiago, but I have limited defence against a drone. Perhaps it's consequent on my age and way of life - I'm not a member of the Twitterati! - that I still value the Camino as a refuge from the further reaches of mindless consumerism and image-making. Like many other Caministas, I prefer to focus on the present moment without needing to record that moment for publication. If my objections do not impress you, you might nonetheless concede that there is a safety concern. Should you ever be unfortunate enough to need to be airlifted from the Camino, you would not want a drone anywhere in the vicinity. Thank you, anyway, for your query.

Yes to EVERYTHING here. I come here to unplug. Here's a *&%%$# drone coming along to remind me that nothing's personal and private anymore. Time to plug back in to the collective. The Borg...

Last edited:
Double like, Paladina. Very well said.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
As a prospective pilgrim, I love watching this guy and his travelogue is really excellent . The drone cam is only a smallish part of the overall footage and I get to see from all kinds of new perspectives. His editing is also very good. I do understand the issues of noisy intrusion and potentially safety but I guess only pilgrims that he was filming over could really tell us if it is heard above the ground noise, traffic etc. Has anyone actually been negatively affected by drones while on the Caminos ? It would be good to hear their views.

Last edited:
The first edition came out in 2003 and has become the go-to-guide for many pilgrims over the years. It is shipping with a Pilgrim Passport (Credential) from the cathedral in Santiago de Compostela.
Yes.
You are entitled to your opinion but most of the comment is of the favourable kind.

hi!
for those who have not seen yet...
i want to share this, most of it was with aerial footage...

https://www.youtube.com/user/efrenglez1/videos?view=0&sort=dd&shelf_id=1

I too recommended this posting under a different thread and had many people that spoke very highly of the videos, others also agreed with my recommendation but there were a few moaners expressing disappointment of the use of drones. These videos are, in my opinion, some of the best available on youtube covering the Camino Frances. The picture quality is excellent, they offer a real perspective of what life on the camino is like. They give a daily breakdown of costs. There are hints on equipment that is not required and can save you buying/carrying stuff that you won't need. The aerial views from the drone make up only a short part of the videos and don't appear at all on some days, but when they are shown the views are absolutely stunning. The chap who has put these videos together is an engaging Cuban refugee living in Miami but whose great grandfather came from Gallicia. He is a lovely bloke walking alone, making friends along the route.
If you have negative thoughts which are your own personal viewpoint, why bother adding them? Apart from spouting off, what are you adding to the conversation. Are other people interested in your negative thoughts?

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
A beautiful way to re-live the Camino experience! He had to carry a lot of heavy gear to record all this. I don't know a lot about drones, except that you hear a lot of buzzing noise when you are on the ground underneath one, but he has somehow eliminated this in the finished product and only records the noises of the Camino. His commentaries are very well done: a model for others.
Agree completely with you on the re-live experience.
But as a film professional and a pilgrim I can say drones aren't that much of a distraction. None, I'd say actually. Especially on Camino Frances. What about all those trucks on the way to Carrion de los Condes? Or entrances to bigger towns? Anyone posting here to ban them? Don't remember one such suggestion :D

... but I guess only pilgrims that he was filming over could really tell us if it is heard above the ground noise, traffic etc. ...
The drones are actually quieter than most of the birds you would encounter on most of the Caminos in Spain. And it's the same as with dogs and their owners. The drone isn't guilty of anything it's the owner/pilot that fly it. If it is two meters around you that's certainly an intrusion I'd say.

I'm half way through this fantastic series . He gets a rating of 14 out of 10 so far!
Amazing aerial shots that would have been prohibitively expensive employing a Bell JetRanger Helicopter.
..................though I'm sure it was not entirely lawful flying over big cities?
Hey!? To those that think drones are intrusive .......... shall be do away with cell phones as well?:D:p

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
thank you for those negative comment & very thank you for those who appreciate.... good intention with bad effect(for some of course)... there is always different view, specially if your viewing it from above... who really knows what is good or bad can bring? Hasta la vista!

I too recommended this posting under a different thread and had many people that spoke very highly of the videos, others also agreed with my recommendation but there were a few moaners expressing disappointment of the use of drones. These videos are, in my opinion, some of the best available on youtube covering the Camino Frances. The picture quality is excellent, they offer a real perspective of what life on the camino is like. They give a daily breakdown of costs. There are hints on equipment that is not required and can save you buying/carrying stuff that you won't need. The aerial views from the drone make up only a short part of the videos and don't appear at all on some days, but when they are shown the views are absolutely stunning. The chap who has put these videos together is an engaging Cuban refugee living in Miami but whose great grandfather came from Gallicia. He is a lovely bloke walking alone, making friends along the route.
If you have negative thoughts which are your own personal viewpoint, why bother adding them? Apart from spouting off, what are you adding to the conversation. Are other people interested in your negative thoughts?

I do not regard them as negative posts merely as " constructive " ones just like a positive post to one poster means a " constructive " post for another forummmember.

And I believe this forum is just that : exchanging of constructive views and ideas.
After all , if we all would have the same views life would be rather boring.

Is a drone practical ? Of course but imho not on a Camino path. Just like I think a full blast portable musicplayer or a hideous selfiestick are not needed when walking historical pilgrimpaths .

Last edited:
I too recommended this posting under a different thread and had many people that spoke very highly of the videos, others also agreed with my recommendation but there were a few moaners expressing disappointment of the use of drones...

This forum welcomes the expression of genuine disagreement and constructive criticism. Labelling those who do not share your opinion as "moaners" and purveyors of "negative thoughts" does not encourage the courteous exchange of diverse points of view. I respect your original contribution; please respect my response.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-

Wow! This little dyslexic chap had to get the dictionary out 12 times to understand this post? :D;)

To those that think drones are intrusive .......... shall be do away with cell phones as well?:D:p[/QUOTE]

No, just use them with discretion, turning them off when and where it's appropriate to do so, or even leaving them behind. Past pilgrims managed the journey to Santiago without the aid of a mobile phone.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
Great videos, great drone footage. I've huge admiration for the guy for bringing a drone with him - a lot of bother, no doubt, but well worth it. Intrusive, inimical to the spirit of the camino? Not in my opinion, and certainly not as intrusive as the noise of traffic that one regularly has to put up with. The drone noise is only annoying when it's a few feet of the ground - taking off and landing; once it's at height it's virtually unnoticeable.

I have been watching this series and have to admit I loved it. Some of the footage was wonderful. The drone really did give me a wonderful perspective of the ruins at St Anton, among many other places, and I loved seeing the countryside I had walked from a bird's eye view.
Do I want a Camino filled with people flying drones adding yet another distraction that sometimes interferes with peaceful contemplation as I walk? No, but then I really don't think this will happen and pray it doesn't. Drones can prohibitively expensive, extra weight to carry and most have a battery life of 14 to 25 minutes at best, although some of the very expensive professional use models can fly longer. I would be so disappointed if drones did become a regular occurrence on the Camino but I cannot begrudge someone if they were documenting their journey. If they constantly flew in my path and were disrespectfully close then I might not be so understanding. The privacy issue mentioned earlier is definitely an issue.
I think that one of the other comments above about cell phones also applies to drones for me. Using them with discretion and sensitivity and not interfering with other pilgrims as far as possible. In this particular series, so much of the drone footage seemed to be quite solitary and only briefly over areas of specific areas. It was certainly not 4 hours of footage of his daily journey. That would have tried even my own resolve to be more giving.
I personally have more issues with other pilgrims drinking to excess and the resulting bad behaviour and people walking while on their cellphone loudly talking to friends about everything but the Camino.
I guess the trials of historic pilgrims like bandits, shelter, and food have been replaced with modern complications and part of our journey will be how to deal with this. People often say the Camino is a reflection of our lives and maybe all these distractions from the "real world" will, unfortunately, become too permanent a feature of the Camino. I just hope it doesn't become too prevalent.
I guess I just hope that people do respect that others journeys may be private and introspective or meditative and that if they use a drone, or cellphone or alarm clock, selfie stick or countless other things, that they do so with respect. But in regards to this particular series, it really was a joy to watch and I thank him for posting it. Let's just hope drones never become too easily transported or cheap to buy :)
Buen Camino

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
I found this individuals film of his Camino the best I have watched from the perspective of what walking a Camino is really like. I think it will be a great tool for those preparing to walk a Camino. That said, I would not want to be followed around by drones all over my Camino's.

In regards to the purest view, those days are long gone. The Camino is evolving like everything else. We have openly embraced 1984 as a planet. How could one expect the Camino to remain unchanged (Facebook, I-phones, GPS, I-pads, WIFI, etc.). If you want a more solitary walk, try some of the other routes. I believe there is enough variation on different Caminos to keep everyone happy.

Ultreya,
Joe

Last edited:
Paladina, excuse me, I actually replied to another poster instead of you, as I made a mistake about who the original poster was. My reply was basically saying sorry, I have no right to be incredulous, so I take the question back!

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I love watching these videos. Very well done. The drone footage is minimal, but very interesting and beautiful. It's not everyday one gets a bird's eye view of a stork's nest. The videographer seems to be very humble and kind and a wonderful addition to the flow of humanity along the Camino. Looking forward to watching all of the videos and reliving happy memories of life on the Camino.

EDIT: I have been watching one a day now and they have been a wonderful way to start the day.

Last edited:
Paladina, excuse me, I actually replied to another poster instead of you, as I made a mistake about who the original poster was. My reply was basically saying sorry, I have no right to be incredulous, so I take the question back!

Thanks for the gracious apology, Kirkie, but it really wasn't necessary. Your query was perfectly reasonable as, I hope, was the response.

The chap who made the videos responded to my comment on them saying that I thought they were excellent there was some negatvie comment on the use of drones on this forum:

"Thanks Gareth. You can't please everyone. I'm just glad I've mostly positive feedback. Drones are here to stay and people will eventually get use to it. No one in el Camino was mad at me for flying. On the contrary it was a good icebreaker and educational as they always had a ton of questions."

€2,-/day will present your project to thousands of visitors each day. All interested in the Camino de Santiago.
The chap who made the videos responded to my comment on them saying that I thought they were excellent there was some negatvie comment on the use of drones on this forum:

"Thanks Gareth. You can't please everyone. I'm just glad I've mostly positive feedback. Drones are here to stay and people will eventually get use to it. No one in el Camino was mad at me for flying. On the contrary it was a good icebreaker and educational as they always had a ton of questions."

I am watching them, in free time. He is so endearing, I really enjoy his quirky sense of humour. It is 11 years since I walked that way, and am very happy to follow it via his vlog.

Strange I feel the same about somebody cycling the Camino invasive and inimical and downright dangerous to walkers !!

This is my first post. I watched all his videos, my family watched, it was so peaceful, and funny, and interesting, by far the best I've seen for videos on the Camino. His last one, is a compilation called The Journey, it is worth seeing even if you aren't going to watch the rest of them. What a great thing to share.

Strange I feel the same about somebody cycling the Camino invasive and inimical and downright dangerous to walkers !!

Apart from the Route de Napoleon across the Pyrenees, where I walked with the bike, I used the road on all the Caminos I travelled. That should make you happy, and maybe even contrite.

Last edited:
I too enjoyed his videos. The vast majority of the footage was hand held camera and the commentary was both entertaining and endearing. I enjoyed what drone footage there was because it gave a different and often spectacular view of the CF. Especially loved the view of Trinidad de Arre. I suspect it is not a big issue with today's technology as few pilgrims will be interested in carrying the extra weight of a drone and the associated gear. It's a bit like boom boxes (who knew they still existed!) or pilgrims playing their choice of music on their phone on speaker. I just wait till they pass and continue on my way. Each to their own. And that is something for which I am grateful.

Apart from the Route de Napoleon across the Pyrenees, where I walked with the bike, I used the road on all the Caminos I travelled. That should make you happy, and maybe even contrite.

Certainly Safer, Thank you for your consideration.

hi!

I was very taken with Efren's vlog of his Camino Frances. I watched the whole series and he's an honest, thoughtful and insightful Pilgrim. Sharing his Camino with the world in this way is akin to the very first guide to the Camino, the Codex Calextinus, only via 21st C media. He's an excellent filmmaker and editor. I really enjoyed it and have shared it with former Pilgrims and those who want to be Pilgrims. The drone clips capture things we would not see, or notice from any other perspective. Who knew how many church steeples have bird's nests on them? Or how beautiful the Meseta really is? I'm inspired to go back as soon as possible from watching these!

Certainly Safer, Thank you for your consideration.

Thanks for this. Not all cyclists enjoy terrorising walkers, and many of the minor roads are less travelled than the pedestrians' path. But whether cycling or walking, I'd still prefer not to be buzzed by drones. I'll make an exception for Galician pipes, but only at the end of the road!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Thank you very much for the link to this vlog. I just finished and it was really delightful. What a happy guy! Buen Camino!
Im just like you, so happy & thankful of him sharing his wonderful adventure... as for my situation right now that cant afford yet, but really happy to see all about camino by those who share their photos/videos & even their innermost experiences...i am very thankful too!

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
hi!

I will be walking the Camino Frances I. April/May next year with a friend. And have read many forum conversations/questions and answers. Googled as much as I could to learn as much as I can to prepare myself for the pilgrimage. The videos of his every day travel highlighting food, accommodation, weather and the interesting sights along the way have given me so many answers I have been looking for. The videos are very informative and I couldn't stop watching. The footage with the drone was amazing. Views from above of the fields, small towns and churches that we would not see while walking are beautiful and I thank him for helping me prepare for what I hope will be a memorable journey!

Darn stinking noisy drones on the Camino?!! Along with a long list of other annoyances that I'd love to see disappear from our precious pilgrimage, my first choice would be to walk in total peace without any of them. Ah, but these videos are SO good!

@HedaP do u place flower as well on your ears?;)
:p:p:p Well not lately or at not that I’ve noticed. :p:p:p
Though I do like that song...’I wish I was punk rocker with flowers in my hair’. Which may be quite appropriate for some of the posts on this thread. No offense intended. We all have a right to our opinions. :):):)
Edited to change youtube video to what I think is the official one.

Last edited:

€83,-
Wonderful series of videos.

Positive, well put together, and it was very interesting to see all those places I thought I knew from a new angle - the birds-eye perspective shows how things in the cities tie together, and the cathedral in Burgos is even more fascinating when seen from the air. Efren has done an amazing piece of editing with the final "summary".

@yaying thank you for pointing out this video

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
@yaying I am so grateful that you created this thread and shared these videos. I started watching them the day you posted and just finished this morning - one month later - about the length of walking the Camino Frances.

I actually teared up on the second to last video, knowing that like the Camino, the last day of the walk was coming. They have brought me a lot of joy especially during this past 30 days when so many sad things have been happening.

I might just have to re-watch them a few more times until our next Camino. Thank you again for sharing, and I will be trying to figure out a way I can give back (to Efren) or pay forward the hard work that was put into these heartwarming, funny, extremely well done videos. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Efren Gonzalez, aka YouTube user efrenglez1, aka YouTube Channel SummitXtreme, has finished his camino series of videos where he sometimes used drones. The last time I looked he had reached Santiago but didn't really show anything about the city. He has that now and also his walk to Finisterre. He is also adding seven videos of just drone footage and so far has two of them available for viewing. Go to https://www.youtube.com/user/efrenglez1/videos

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
I just watched all 7 featuring the footage only (lovely way to spend a damp Sunday afternoon) - really like the views and the angles.

Great contribution to video footage of the CF and on to Fisterra.

A while since I looked in on this thread. You chose a great day, it was miserable in Dublin, so you had a great contrast in the video footage. I have to watch the sections after Santiago, but they go on my list, a few other things come first!

As a drone pilot myself, I can assure you that a drone, flown responsibly, and at an altitude of 250ft- 300ft- in the wide open plains available throughout the Camino Frances- WILL NOT provide any distraction, nor create an invasion of privacy to the amazing spiritual journey that is to be experienced by any pilgrim. From that height, most are unaware of its presence, no one is really distinguishable enough to be easily identified and there's no way that anyone, not even a crank, will be able to hear one. These devices help to capture an amazing perspective that is impossible to observe by those who solely rely on phones or point and shoot cameras. Plus they provide breathtaking views that help to inspire future pilgrims.

The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.

Most read last week in this forum

When I hiked the Frances Route this happened. I was hiking in the afternoon just east of Arzua. I was reserved a bed at an albergue in Arzua, so I had already hiked all the way from San Xulien...
I am finalizing my packing list for Frances, and do not want to over pack. (I am 71) I will be starting at SJPdP on April 25th to Roncesvalles and forward. I was hoping on some advise as to...
First marker starting from Albergue Monasterio de la Magdalena in Sarria (113.460 km) Start: 2023.9.29 07:22 Arrival: 2023.9.30 13:18 walking time : 26 hours 47 minutes rest time : 3 hours 8...
A local Navarra website has posted a set of photos showing today's snowfall in the area around Roncesvalles. About 15cm of snow fell this morning surprising pilgrims on the way...
Hi! I’m a first time pilgrim. Is it possible to take a taxi from Astorga to Foncebadon? Thanks, Felicia
I have been planning to return and rejoin the path from Leon next week. ( Main route) I am wondering whether it might be better to wait until later in April to rejoin the path, my hope is to...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back