Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drop in pilgrim numbers at albergue

• Thread starter Deleted member 3000
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 3000

Oviedo as beginning the Camino de Santiago
02/04/13 - 1:40 -ANA SALAS | OVIEDO.

For the first time the shelter lost hikers. The association blames the closure of the old hosting
More than half of the pilgrims who passed in 2012 initiated the city from here its march to Compostela.

According to the pilgrim office are there Astur-Leonese Association of Friends of the Camino de Santiago, in 2012 passed by Oviedo 6365 walkers. They are 13% higher than those recorded 2011, 5544. However, in the shelter of pilgrims, for the first time since it opened (the old) in 2000, the figure has declined. In the Dominican villa converted into a hostel slept last year, 3,986 people, down 3%, 4116.

"The reason is that it has become to be small," explained from the association through its latest newsletter. "The 'old' we served as a relief in the months of summer influx and was headquarters." After the departure of the San Pedro shelter of Mesatallón, now converted into municipal offices, made a hole in the chalet and lost "eight seats that were crucial." Recognize that did not contemplate the possibility of losing the old, 'the' eviction 'of the' old 'as has occurred after almost 20 years. "

They combined the existence of both facilities, and when it was in summer a small pulling the other. Losing one, have to send the pilgrims (as happened when I was only opened San Pedro de Mestallón) to alternative accommodation: some hostels or pensions around the Cathedral. Some also choose to stay at a hotel because, among other things, that option does not exist in the hostel. You can not book. Nor come later than nine o'clock at night in summer and 19.30 in winter. Neither before five in the busiest months of pilgrims or 17.30 times less.

The president of the association that manages the hostel, José Luis Galán, recognizes that the schedule "ideal" would be from 13.00 to 22.00. But now they are not able to take it. If someone comes before opening time, you can leave the backpack at a café next to the hostel that those responsible have agreed. Also, the hostel does not qualify for a city should like Oviedo. "It has very good facilities," he insists. The solution would be a new "conditioning, this is a cottage not a shelter," ponders aloud being aware that with the current economic hardships politicians will not make the event. They have requested a meeting with the Councillor for Tourism, José Ramón Álvarez Pando, waiting to explain the situation. In Galicia, for example, the shelters are autonomous government.

In Leon, continues Galán, the hostel is in the monastery of the Benedictine nuns. 20,000 pilgrims pass through it. "It is not comparable, I know, but I think we need something more." "The day that our city has a shelter capacity commensurate with the importance of our way and that this will require attention, we will see a significant increase in the number of users" includes the newsletter of the association. And Galán explained that the city is increasingly beginning of the Camino de Santiago pilgrims who have queries foreigners interested in knowing what the path that separates Oviedo to Santiago de Compostela: "this must be taken into account." 53% of the pilgrims who stay at the hostel Oviedo (2104), out of the city to Santiago. A growing trend for 'three years'. 2010 was instrumental in the development of the Camino de Santiago and the increasing number of pilgrims in the city. Only this year doubled the number of users.

Begin in the Camino Primitivo Oviedo, discovering the path of the first route, which took Alfono II the Chaste, in the ninth century, to visit the newly discovered tomb of St. James. From Oviedo walk 343 kilometers in 12 stages. The first, through Grade, most recently, San Romao Retort-Melide.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
Hi, falcon,
Thanks for the post. I found the original here: http://www.elcomercio.es/v/20130204/ovi ... 30204.html
I think the title is a bit misleading. What the article explains is that the new albergue used to be able to send some overflow to the old albergue, which is now taken up by offices and not available for peregrinos.
Just didn't want anyone to think that the traffic on the Primitivo is decreasing. Buen camino, Laurie

Most read last week in this forum

Hi all! Started today from Oviedo to Escamplero. Now I know, why so many people say it's a bit of a challenge to come out of Oviedo. I got lost just once, but was rescued by a very friendly guy. A...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back