• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)
  • ⚠️ Emergency contact in Spain - Dial 112 and AlertCops app. More on this here.

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Drought and fire?

kulich

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning ... starting at Puy in July
Just wondering how drought and fires are affecting the areas surrounding the French caminos. Thinking not only of pellegrino safety, but also taxing resources in the places we visit. We were planning on completing the last half of the Chemin St Jaques in September but have reluctance based on the climate, covid and the unfun part of airline travel from Canada to Europe; what is it like on the ground at the moment?

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.
Here is an article from Ouest-France.fr with a map and discussion of the 7 major wild fires currently burning in France tonight, August 10, 2022.

Last edited:
Kulich
Latest news reports from France indicate fires burning in the Gironde ,south of Bordeaux and Les Landes.This is on the Chemin de Tours .People are being evacuated from their homes.You can read these reports on the internet via Reuters ,a reliable news source.

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Yes, thanks - I see SE Averyon is threatened. I know from the wild fires we experience that it is possible to get around fires and other large events ... and there is a month yet before we'd consider coming over by which time things will be different. I do think about the local view of tourism in these times of water shortages and heat events. I don't want to be one of those who blithely carry on. Lord knows we see amazing things happen here as people head towards Tofino and the west coast.

Just wondering how drought and fires are affecting the areas surrounding the French caminos. Thinking not only of pellegrino safety, but also taxing resources in the places we visit. We were planning on completing the last half of the Chemin St Jaques in September but have reluctance based on the climate, covid and the unfun part of airline travel from Canada to Europe; what is it like on the ground at the moment?
My husbands on the chemin at the moment. Depending on where he is, the temperatures are between 30-38. From what the locals are saying, these temperatures are normal for this time of year. However what isn't normal is the length of time they've been having this heat, nor the complete lack of rain. There is apparently going to be a storm at the weekend though, which will hopefully break the hot spell. There aren't any fires in this region of France right now (and fingers crossed it stays that way! 🤞🤞🤞)

Thanks for that reply - it looks like it is possible to do this trip. I wish your husband well walking in the heat.

Down bag (90/10 duvet) of 700 fills with 180 g (6.34 ounces) of filling. Mummy-shaped structure, ideal when you are looking for lightness with great heating performance.

€149,-
In my experience with walking in active fire areas, on my 2005 mainly through the South of France, I'd say that basic precautions if you're close enough to smell smoke (the smell can travel quite far), sleep in places with multiple exit routes, and if you can't walk through an actual fire area from risk or a Police barricade, walk around it, and downwind, that is to say where the wind is blowing towards the fire not from its direction.

Otherwise, conditions during the heatwaves this year in Spain and Portugal have mainly forced heat management stuff, and well, active fire zones are typically not that large in comparison to the length of a Camino, though clearly there can be exceptions. I've not come closer than about 50K to any active fire on this Camino.

It will obviously be more difficult where a Camino passes through a semi-wilderness fire area, as plan B options avoiding the risk might be thin on the ground.

Thanks for that reply - it looks like it is possible to do this trip. I wish your husband well walking in the heat.
Not a great time to plan travelling to France at the moment. I follow the French news on TV5 daily. Today the fires are so bad that they have firemen and equipment coming from neighbouring countries to help. I would wait to see how the weather turns out by the end of August. They have had incredibly hot weather.

OK - good advice. We don't have a timeline and can wait till next Spring if need be. Heart goes out to people suffering in temperature extremes.

Get a spanish phone number with Airalo. eSim, so no physical SIM card. Easy to use app to add more funds if needed.
I have my flight booked to Lyon for Sept 8 and shall not be planning to cancel or revise my booking unless the fire situation seems very bad in the region of the Podiensis shortly before my departure date. As my return flight is from Madrid, I might be able to persuade Air Canada to let me change my flight to France for a safer location if there is one.

Most read last week in this forum

I am fine tuning my packing and I pre package my vitamins/supplements to take daily, which I have done for about 15 years. Do you all take them with you, or leave them home? 36 days of vitamins...
Dear fellow pilgrims! :) I hope to walk from Le Puy to Santiago later this year. I was thinking about starting at some point in august so that I manage to reach Santiago before it gets too cold...
Hey! Thinking about walking Le Puy this year. I am a solo female traveller. On my previous Camino (Spain) I stayed in municipal albergues, but this time I would like to try something...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.

Forum Rules

Forum Rules

Camino Updates on YouTube

Camino Conversations

Most downloaded Resources

This site is run by Ivar at

in Santiago de Compostela.
This site participates in the Amazon Affiliate program, designed to provide a means for Ivar to earn fees by linking to Amazon
Official Camino Passport (Credential) | 2024 Camino Guides
Back