• For 2024 Pilgrims: €50,- donation = 1 year with no ads on the forum + 90% off any 2024 Guide. More here.
    (Discount code sent to you by Private Message after your donation)

Search 69,459 Camino Questions

Dry bag for showers?

caminojune2017

Time of past OR future Camino
Planning June 2017
Should we purchase dry bags for showers to keep valuables and clothes dry? If so, any brand or size recommendations? Thanks!

A selection of Camino Jewellery
Should we purchase dry bags for showers to keep valuables and clothes dry? If so, any brand or size recommendations? Thanks!
nothing fancy....buy one at a dollar/pound store

New Original Camino Gear Designed Especially with The Modern Peregrino In Mind!
While we did not use ziplock/dry bags like this, we did have sea to summit bags that we used in the shower (with a suction cup hook), to transport laundry and groceries, and to hold the important stuff when we went out in the evenings. They were very versatile and they fold down to nothing. They also worked great as a day pack during rest days or for the final vacation days after we had finished walking.
Buen Camino

Cheap bags work fine.....But Where you going to hang it? A lot of shower stalls are missing a hook to hang things! Buy two "S" hooks at any hardware store. You will NEED them--a lot!

What did you guys put in these bags? Things like passports?

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Would they remain dry 100%? Also where would you put them, in the actual shower cubicle or on the outside?

Would they remain dry 100%? Also where would you put them, in the actual shower cubicle or on the outside?
Carl,

I believe that you are confusing a dry sack with a stuff sack. A dry sack is waterproof. You can put the dry sack on the floor of the shower, and the contents of the bag will remain dry while showering. This is not true for a stuff sack.

The dry sack which contains all of your valuables are taken into the shower with you. There is no point in leaving it outside the shower, as that would be the same as leaving your valuables in your backpack as you take a shower.

You can leave the bag on floor, or you can purchase a cheap S double carabiner and snap one end over the shower stall door or wall edge, and the other over where you have snapped the rolled over edges of the the dry bag when there are no kooks in the shower stall.

I hope this helps.

The focus is on reducing the risk of failure through being well prepared. 2nd ed.
There's usually a little private space outside the shower where you can keep your things dry, and where you can dress.

Carl,

I believe that you are confusing a dry sack with a stuff sack. A dry sack is waterproof. You can put the dry sack on the floor of the shower, and the contents of the bag will remain dry while showering. This is not true for a stuff sack.

The dry sack which contains all of your valuables are taken into the shower with you. There is no point in leaving it outside the shower, as that would be the same as leaving your valuables in your backpack as you take a shower.

You can leave the bag on floor, or you can purchase a cheap S double carabiner and snap one end over the shower stall door or wall edge, and the other over where you have snapped the rolled over edges of the the dry bag when there are no kooks in the shower stall.

I hope this helps.

Thanks! This does clarify things :)

I have a Sea2Summit View dry bag, 8L[/B]

In my pack, it holds my silk sleep sack, my towel, and some detergent & nappy pins.

After walking, I remove the sleep sack to claim my bed, and I put in my toiletries bag, a change of clothes, and my waist pack (which carries my valuables + electronics), and I head to the shower. I hang it with a suction or S hook if necessary/possible.

After showering, wearing my fresh clothes & waist bag, all dirty clothes are put in the dry sack which is then used as a hand-wash bag,

Very useful.

I do have a few other dry sacks as well for organizing. I don't worry about my pack getting wet inside, really. They are just ultralight, much stronger and longer-lasting than ziplocks, and help with organization.

Technical backpack for day trips with backpack cover and internal compartment for the hydration bladder. Ideal daypack for excursions where we need a medium capacity backpack. The back with Air Flow System creates large air channels that will keep our back as cool as possible.

€83,-
The least expensive solution, IMHO is a the humble ziplock bag. You will likely use one or more of these to organize your rucksack anyway. The one gallon or three-liter size should work for most all people. I use these to organize my clothing and medications.

On the other end are multi-purpose solutions like my favorite, Sea to Summit "Sling Bag." This is a zip-close, shoulder carry bag that holds 16 liters. It compresses into a kiwi fruit sized pouch that can be clipped to your rucksack harness. It can be worn cross-shoulder if desired for security or comfort.

I use mine as a carry-on bag while flying to and from, a shopping bag on my way into town each day, a day-bag for side trips, a highly water resistant carry all for shower use, a laundry bag, and when stuffed with clothing, as a pillow at night. You can find them on Amazon.com in a variety of colors.

You can also use purpose made "dry-bags." I only recommend doing this if the dry bag can be dual purposed.

My personal preference is to challenge taking every item I think I might bring, to ensure it can reasonably be used for more than one purpose. The more uses an item can be used for, the more likely it is to be carried. My definition of "reasonable" is based on what I can reasonable expect to need the item for, after having done four Caminos...and getting warmed up for number five...

I hope this helps.

Last edited:
The least expensive solution, IMHO is a the humble ziplock bag. You will likely use one or more of these to organize your rucksack anyway. The one gallon or three-liter size should work for most all people. I use these to organize my clothing and medications.

On the other end are multi-purpose solutions like my favorite, Sea to Summit "Sling Bag." This is a zip-close, shoulder carry bag that holds 16 liters. It compresses into a kiwi fruit sized pouch that can be clipped to your rucksack harness. It can be worn cross-shoulder if desired for security or comfort.

I use mine as a carry-on bag while flying to and from, a shopping bag on my way into town each day, a day-bag for side trips, a highly water resistant carry all for shower use, a laundry bag, and when stuffed with clothing, as a pillow at night. You can find them on Amazon.com in a variety of colors.

I have that sling bag and use it in all the same ways - very useful!

Except for laundry use. The waterproof-ness of an actual dry bag is required to wash clothes in.

The one from Galicia (the round) and the one from Castilla & Leon. Individually numbered and made by the same people that make the ones you see on your walk.

Yes, absolute necessity, don't spend more than a couple of dollars/Euros. Get a hook too (to hang from the shower wall) in fact, get two hooks, the plastic ones. You won't regret it!

I always hung my plastic bag with handles (similar to trecile's picture) from my S hook, which I hung at the top of the shower door or rod. It was high enough that water was not a problem.

Ideal sleeping bag liner whether we want to add a thermal plus to our bag, or if we want to use it alone to sleep in shelters or hostels. Thanks to its mummy shape, it adapts perfectly to our body.

€46,-
Our area no longer provides free thin plastic grocery bags (which I applaud) but the stores now offer quite strong, reusable plastic bags for 10 cents. They would make excellent light shower totes.

I have that sling bag and use it in all the same ways - very useful!

Except for laundry use. The waterproof-ness of an actual dry bag is required to wash clothes in.

By laundry bag, I meant as a tote to take my soiled stuff to the nearest lavanderia (laundromat) and back. I do not use it to contain water, although if I had a fire and needed a bucket, it might work, short term.

I absolutely LOVE Sea to Summit dry bags and I am not getting paid to say so!

The ones I use are called the 'Ultra-Sil Dry Sack' range. They come in sizes from a tiny pouch just right for a mobile phone and passport to go to the shower in, up to the pack liner range in 3 sizes. I use the pack liner, and when it's really hot, I even take the liner out and use it as a sack for bag transport. I also have a small one which goes in my pack lid. The different colours are handy for keeping stuff organised too, and they make no annoying rustling sound, unlike plastic backpack liners.

I have not tried the new 'Nano' super light range - I would be interested to hear feedback on them. I have tried one of the ones with the 'windows' ('Ultra-Sil View') like the one in the video, and they are a tiny bit annoying, as the clear plastic is not as soft and scrunchable as the main fabric part, and you end up never looking through the window anyway. I bought it by accident and have retired it to use for day hikes as it gets on my nerves a bit.

Using these I can walk in the pouring rain without a pack cover or poncho - I have a down sleeping bag and I never worry about it getting wet. You do need to periodically check the seam taping on the inside of the bags, as after months of continuous use it eventually peels off.

I think they are totally worth the money.

Last edited:
A selection of Camino Jewellery
What did you guys put in these bags? Things like passports?
Your passport goes in your money belt. On both my Camino’s I used a one gallon ziplock bag to put my “money belt” in. That’s all you need for the shower. IMHO :)

Last edited:
The 2024 Camino guides will be coming out little by little. Here is a collection of the ones that are out so far.
I can not remember seeing a hook in any shower cubicle to hang your dry clothes . Wear as little as possible to and from the shower like a sarong and then once well dry you can put on fresh clothes. Some times there is a stool outside the shower but this is in frequent. Other times people just walk around naked . We also resorted to holding clothes for a friend and passing them into the cubicle when needed.

I've deleted several posts. Things were getting heated. A bit of miscommunication I hope.

Very light, comfortable and compressible poncho. Specially designed for protection against water for any activity.

Our Atmospheric H30 poncho offers lightness and waterproofness. Easily compressible and made with our Waterproof fabric, its heat-sealed interior seams guarantee its waterproofness. Includes carrying bag.

€60,-
Very rare that there is a space which will allow dry clothes to stay dry in my experience .

I used a dry bag ( yes twists to a handle at the end ) as my washing bag so you could put your clean clothes in that and then once on full the bag with your dirty clothes .

Alternatively if you shower just before bed just put your pj on .

To be truthful it’s all an art and I found showers in many albergue ” gruesome”
When in a private hostel we danced for joy at towels and our own bathroom

Me too. Both for the dry bag and the dance in a private bathroom! I take a medium sized dry bag into the showers - an ultra-sill nano. Use it to keep my clean clothes from getting wet, as well as for my valuables. The twisted top clips together and forms a handle, which I hang over the door handle if there is no hook.

St James' Way - Self-guided 4-7 day Walking Packages, Reading to Southampton, 110 kms
I like to have fancy stuff and I hate plastic crinkle noises so I bought a Sea-to-summit ultra-sil daypack - it collapses to the size of a clementine orange. I used that as a day-pack, to keep stuff in my big pack dry, and also to take stuff to the shower with me and to keep my valuables in my bunk with me if the situation called for it.

But to be honest, it's not really necessary. A cheap bag of any kind should work and can't remember any time where I was desperate to keep my stuff out of the way of spray. I had a little S-shaped double-clip carabiner to clip it up if I needed to.

Most read last week in this forum

70+ year old, 5 ft. tall, 110 lb. female hiking the full Northern Route (del Norte). My goal is to carry no more than 12 pounds/5.44 kg. Ideally, I'd like to carry less. I'm planning to use a...
Has anyone tried wearing sun sleeves? Seems they might be good for protection from the sun while also perhaps forgoing the need for a long-sleeve shirt? My concern is whether or not the fit is...
Sorry if this seems trivial, but I leave in 26 days for my first Camino (Frances). I’m finalizing my backpack items figuring what makes the honored Final Cut. Question: I was gonna bring a...
I usually wear Motion Control, but thought I might try something new this year. What are YOUR favorites, and why?
Does anyone have any experience with getting a custom rain cover for an Osprey pack? After 4 different caminos I am now grappling with using my rain suit which I prefer vs a poncho because my...
I walked the Camino Portuguese in September 2023 and loved the experience. I'm looking forward to my next Camino sometime in 2025. Although I didn't need a blanket on the Portuguese, I'm...

❓How to ask a question

How to post a new question on the Camino Forum.